General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

gripon
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Probate

•   Message 1 of 27 in Discussion

Post by gripon »

Can anyone advise when selling a property, time it takes for probate to complete, also cost, asking on the behalf of a friend , any information would be much appreciated.

Ace123
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Probate

•   Message 2 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Ace123 »

Can take upto a year o a good day

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

My friend died in March last year probate is still ongoing her sister paid 2000 pounds up front but there are other charges coming.

Ace123
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Ace123 »

Lots of additional costs ! Had a friend who did her partners ( no solicitors) still took over a year . Length of time depends on a lot of things one of the biggest is do all parties agree !🫣

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 27 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Deniz1, who asked your friend to pay 2,000GBP up front?

gripon
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 27 in Discussion

Post by gripon »

My friend paid 3,000 up front ?

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Her lawyer

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 27 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

Why not ask the lawyer for a list of charges and an estimate of time spent. In other words "What am I paying for", exactly the same as would for any other service.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 27 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

You've beaten me to it tutor4u. It's the first question you should ask the Lawyer(?) otherwise it's the same as handing them a blank cheque.

Ace123
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Ace123 »

I agree with Benjamin button & tutor4 u however even U.K. solicitors change the goal posts mine did ( shisters ) you have the right for regular updates and I would surgest you request them regularly

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 27 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

You've beaten me to it tutor4u. It's the first question you should ask the Lawyer(?) otherwise it's the same as handing them a blank cheque.
Great Minds think Alike benjaminbutton

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 27 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Ace123, I would advise anyone in this situation, to make a bit of a nuisance of yourself, because I'm pretty sure there are certain things you can do yourself to cut costs provided you go with a fluent and sensible local.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Unfortunately my friends sister doesnt live here so every thing is done long distance and emails are often not replied to.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 27 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Typical, re email. Most solicitors I have dealt with in the last 19 years, seem to suffer from the same disease, unless the have an English secretary/pa and they tend to be an improvement.

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 27 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

Resurrecting this post to ask a question please.

Can a villa still be sold if one of the named owners has died or does everything stop for probate? Husband and wife have mirror wills and the property is the only asset in TRNC. No bank accounts, car, etc. POA was given to advocate to deal with the property sale when it went on the market last November. Widow is in UK and not able to travel here.

Thanks for any info.

susiesusie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 27 in Discussion

Post by susiesusie »

Exactly same here. Mirrored wills counted for nothing. Still had to go to probate . Had to get male (son) to either come over or probate forms sent to the UK to be sent here etc. Farcical

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 27 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

susiesusie wrote:
Wed 20 Mar 2024 10:16 am
Exactly same here. Mirrored wills counted for nothing. Still had to go to probate . Had to get male (son) to either come over or probate forms sent to the UK to be sent here etc. Farcical
Did your house sale have to be suspended and how long did it all take if you don't mind me asking? My friend has been quoted £3.5k by her advocate.

susiesusie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 27 in Discussion

Post by susiesusie »

Not selling the house . Just need probate to do so.
Probate was quoted at £3000 . Not got it yet. Been 9 months and counting.

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 27 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

Thank you

Maisiemoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Maisiemoo »

Going through probate at the moment for my husband's half of our property. My stepson, who is the beneficiary, paid £3500 to the lawyer and had all the documentation verified at the Embassy in London as he doesn't want to travel out to TRNC. So far it's been eight months, we have been asked to verify all property taxes are paid up to date and provide a copy of my husband's passport. I am desperate for it all to be completed as I want to put the house on the market asap, after 20 wonderful years, it's all too much to cope with now.

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 27 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

Maisiemoo wrote:
Wed 20 Mar 2024 3:08 pm
Going through probate at the moment for my husband's half of our property. My stepson, who is the beneficiary, paid £3500 to the lawyer and had all the documentation verified at the Embassy in London as he doesn't want to travel out to TRNC. So far it's been eight months, we have been asked to verify all property taxes are paid up to date and provide a copy of my husband's passport. I am desperate for it all to be completed as I want to put the house on the market asap, after 20 wonderful years, it's all too much to cope with now.
Thank you and I'm so sorry for your loss.

AFC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 27 in Discussion

Post by AFC »

A friend dealt with similar issues, I can put you in touch with an English lawyer who dealt with it for them here in Kyrenia.

Please feel free to message,

TB10pilot
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 27 in Discussion

Post by TB10pilot »

I am going through the procedure at present. I started early February and should be completed soon after Bayram. There are lots of issues to consider which I recognise from comments above.

1. I am not selling my house at present but there are names to be changed on the Kochan etc COSTS involved
2. Any motor cars might need a change from joint names to single name. COSTS involved
3. Joint bank accounts to singe name accounts and arranging release of funds. COSTS involved
4. Visits to Court to get the valuations of property etc agreed. COSTS involved
5. Getting Muchtars certificate re proof of address. One can do that to save a lawyers visit. Same for getting Death certificate etc
6. Arranging a Power of Attorney, I strongly recommend. COSTS involved
7. If the Estate is valued at over £400,000, there are duties to be paid to the Government. COSTS involved
8. It appears that normally Lawyers charge a % of the Estate. 8% is normal, but I guess that could be down to how much you ask your lawyer to do for you.
All I can say is the one I use is worth his weight in gold. Its a difficult time for all when someone dies, let the experts take some of the strain to get you through it. If I get Probate by the end of April, ie 3months I will think that I have paid my monies well!

Maisiemoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 27 in Discussion

Post by Maisiemoo »

My husband's has taken 7 months but everything was done by the lawyer as the beneficiary didn't want to travel to North Cyprus. We are now in the position of being able to get the property on the market, god alone knows how long that process will take!

TB10pilot
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 27 in Discussion

Post by TB10pilot »

I understand that you cannot sell the property or any cars until probate is granted.. The only thing I did was to get the Certificate from the local Muchtar and sign the POA. Lawyer has done everything else.

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 27 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

Thank you to all that responded.

TB10pilot
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 27 in Discussion

Post by TB10pilot »

Thats nice. It's good to belong to a site where we all appreciate and help each other. So refreshing.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”