General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Larnaca EU visa

•   Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Having travelled via Larnaca for many years. The past few years has got rather more difficult culminating this week in a prohibition to enter for next 180 days !!

Why fly to ROC?
I live in Shropshire
Liverpool - Larnaca £44
Luton Larnaca £22. Ex luggage
Like the good old monarch days 😊

On Monday I arrived Larnaca. I was denied entry based on overspend on my UK visa by 19 days.
It was 2.30 AM.
After much discussion I was awarded a 7 day visa but told to leave by the 7th.

Consequently I flew to Israel and onto Istanbul
Back to Kibris in 4 days to Ercan.
All sorted I thought.

Now just looking at flights to Ercan from Birmingham
£450-£580 return

Guess that’s what the new EU liberated me means for wanting to keep regularly visiting TRNC.

Anyone got any better solutions that may encourage me to be comfortable with this new found freedom or lack of 😕

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Larnaca EU visa

•   Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

Unless you have temporary residence in the North youll have the same 90/180 problem
After the earthquakes and snow have subsided Jet 2 Antalya and Dalaman might need an overnight in Turkey
Better than blowing bubbles

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

If you book early then TA from Manchester and Birmingham into Ercan via Istanbul can be reasonable

Alternatively if price is a priority a bit of lateral thinking can also work. Fly to Antalya…. with EasyJet from Liverpool and hop across to Ercan using Pegasus. Or Bristol to a Turkish airport that has connections to Ercan. Try also looking at Wizz Air U.K. departures to Turkey. There are also othercarriers such as Anadolu Jet ( Turkish Airlines owned budget carrier) or Sun Express.

We live in the south west in deepest Devon so finding the best option is something we do all the time.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Hello Posh
Thanks
I’ve looked at these options as I’m sitting Istanbul,
It’s snowing here now 😳
I’m certainly open to alternatives but certainly it’s rather more difficult and time consuming
My travel plans are often short notice. The Larnaca route prices have come down past months,
I’m not accustomed to Ercan but I guess now that I’m on the ROC prohibited list I’ll need to adjust

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Agree it can be a bit more difficult if travel is short notice.

We are fortunate to be able to get dates in the diary many months in advance. Plus we enjoy the challenge of hunting down the route/airline.

Good luck.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

I did the easyJet Izmir trip and stayed 5 days on the way back in Izmir I booked the easyjet flights before I checked the Pegasus leg...they cost more

ljarvo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

Post by ljarvo »

Sorry Waz - to make you repeat yourself.

Can you explain why you was 19 days over - did you say in the North for too long?

Thanks

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Hello
Yes
Cumulative visits amounted to 120 days in 180
That fortunately didn’t account for trips to Spain and Germany which were additional 15 days.

The ROC immigration did not fine me and I think I was lucky indeed that they at least gave me an emergency 7 days visa. Partly because it was 3AM and no one wanted to deal with this situation in middle of the night.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

So
I’m now in Istanbul having successfully transited via Telaviv from Larnaca
Earthquakes in Israel and Turkey made it a 20 hrs ordeal but I’m not going to complain upon that given the tragic outcomes for many following the disaster.
Return to Ercan tomorrow

Thank-you for responses which I have acted upon
I booked to UK via Antalya
£152 single but to Birmingham so that’s okay.

I have booked

frugal90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

Post by frugal90 »

Cyprus is outside Schengen so trips to Schengen countries won't count in Cyprus

ginge
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

Post by ginge »

frugal90 wrote:
Thu 09 Feb 2023 9:15 am

This is true and the ban is a mistake by ROC border control.

But the irony of WAZ being on an EU ban list has cheered me right up & the next time I'm asked to list the benfits of Brexit this will be top.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

ginge and second will be a 24hr (actually only 16 hours) validity for a TOM - lol. Met a woman on Tuesday who takes her child across to the South for school every day of the week - you guessed it, every day has to stop to get a TOM - British passport holder getting the benefits of Brexit - lol.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

ginge wrote:
Thu 09 Feb 2023 3:24 pm
frugal90 wrote:
Thu 09 Feb 2023 9:15 am

This is true and the ban is a mistake by ROC border control.

But the irony of WAZ being on an EU ban list has cheered me right up & the next time I'm asked to list the benfits of Brexit this will be top.
Having bern forced to surrender by European passport. The ROC and indeed other EU member states have new powers to stop me entering their country
Like wise the UK can do the same. I’m essential unable to go to the EU for 180 days.
If that makes ginge happy then I can only assume your vindictive personality is like your possible anti vax
position.
I’m alright Jack !!

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Waz - These are all life’s challenges.

Like finding flights at a reasonable cost, car hire at a reasonable cost or even a builder / workman who will turn up at a specific time, rather than you having to hang around all day wondering will they come.

Just console yourself that you don’t have to apply and navigate the process for temporary residency in the TRNC. Now that is a whole different ball game and is a real challenge for many and more so if you are a “swallow”, want to comply with the regulations and spend extended periods of time on island.

However; for us we adopt the Cypriot attitude. We know not to get worked up, go with the flow and if it doesn’t happen today try again tomorrow.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Posh
I wish it was as simple as you portray.
It is not.
For working people doing Business in the EU any hindrance to getting to market and or visiting customers negatively impacts upon that same business and any competitive edge.

Certainly for those that have retired and time is not so critical then travel to, in this instance, TRNC is not so stressful . As you say …Try again tomorrow and seek out best prices transfers, multi city stops we’ll get there in the end.
Without doubt. Travel to TRNC has become both more difficult and more expensive.

Is that what some TRNC ex pats expected?
Yes….. What have been the benefits of Brexit to same.?

Certainly Ginge seems to be perfectly content tho possibly not able to provide any meaningful benefits.
I think his covid vaccination (anti) and stand alone viewpoint says a lot of his mentality.
After all I guess he’s from the British Empire

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

waddo wrote:
Thu 09 Feb 2023 5:33 pm
… Met a woman on Tuesday who takes her child across to the South for school every day of the week - you guessed it, every day has to stop to get a TOM - British passport holder …
If this lady is presenting a UK passport to the GC check point each and every time she crosses into and from the south, sure as eggs are eggs it is just a matter of time before her accumulated crossings will trigger a stop order, for how long?, possibly three months or more.

This lady really needs a plan B in order to ensure her child can continue their journey to school on the occasion she is refused permission to cross into the south.
libens volens potens

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

I think you will find there is an exemption (British High Commission posted something on this) for those attending 'education' in the south; which rationally should cover parents if a child is under age, i.e. not a university student. There was also an exemption for those working in the south who just needed a letter from their employer.

From https://twitter.com/UKinCyprus/status/1 ... E8bwAp0VNw accessed and printed 26/10/2022

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”