General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

GC Border control @ Metahan.

•   Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

For the first time I had my UK passport scanned upon leaving GC area by the GC police, to cross back to TC area at the Metahan crossing.
Does this mean that I am now on the 90/180 day countdown for being in the EU post Brexit?

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: GC Border control @ Metahan.

•   Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

Hi 13roman58,

Had you crossed from north to south (i.e. return trip) and then had your passport scanned, or had you been out of Cyprus and re-entered via south?

In any event having been scanned you, you are in system. The issue will be if you have come in via south to remain in the north, unless you exit via south again in 90 days, the next time you enter south may be subject to a fine?

See: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... d-security (local travel section applies it seems- for ease cut and pasted below)

"Local travel
The operations of crossing points are affected by coronavirus (COVID-19) control measures. See Coronavirus.

Even when the crossing points are operating under normal conditions, British and other foreign nationals who have entered Cyprus through the north (such as via Ercan airport) are considered by the Government of the Republic of Cyprus to have entered Cyprus through an illegal port of entry. The Republic of Cyprus does not recognise the self-declared ‘Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus’ in the north of Cyprus, nor residence permits issued by the administration there. The Government of the Republic of Cyprus may fine you for illegal entry if you cross into the south, or refuse you entry into or exit from the Republic, or prevent crossing at the boundary with the north.

The maximum period of visa-free stay in the Republic of Cyprus for all non-resident UK Nationals is 90 days within a 180-day period. The Republic of Cyprus authorities count time spent in the north of Cyprus towards the 90 day visa-free total. You should not exceed the maximum stay allowed on the island. If you do overstay, you should expect difficulties at the airport on exit. Furthermore, if you subsequently return to Cyprus you could face further difficulties, including being refused entry and/or being placed on a stop list for a period of between 3 to 5 years. The British High Commission cannot provide assistance in such cases. Many cars hired in the south are not insured for use in the north. Check with your insurance company - you will not be allowed through a crossing without the correct insurance documents. At some of the crossing points it is possible to buy car insurance for the north. There are controls on the quantities and types of goods that can be bought in the north and brought into the south, including from the bicommunal village of Pyla in the buffer zone. Goods, including cigarettes, may be confiscated at the checkpoint and you may be fined. The Republic of Cyprus currently imposes a limit of 40 cigarettes per person on crossing the Green Line from the north of Cyprus.

Anyone with documents relating to the purchase of property in the north of Cyprus when crossing the Green Line could face criminal proceedings.

Others may have more experience on this and correct me if I am wrong.

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

Hi laptawrinkly, went on a shopping trip from North to South.
On return the GC police in the booth took both passports and scanned them,
Am I now in the EU system of 90days in 180 where I will have to leave via the south before 90days and fly back into Ercan ,then stay out of any EU country untill180 is over?

steveodp
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Post by steveodp »

From my understanding, the internal 'border' is managed separate to the airports. So entry via the airports initiates the 90 in 180, leave before you get to 91. However, the internal border has its own clock, of allowing you to cross from north to south as much as you want for 90 days, and then not for the next 90 days. A friend of ours was refused to cross to go shopping because they were past day 90, and were told they could cross again after the time had expired.

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

Thanks for that information.
But asking varios 'south shoppers' they have not been refused to date.
Would only affect the south economy, another' shot in the foot,

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

laptawrinkly wrote:
Thu 16 Feb 2023 1:56 pm
Hi 13roman58,

.....See: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... d-security (local travel section applies it seems- for ease cut and pasted below)

"Local travel
......Even when the crossing points are operating under normal conditions, British and other foreign nationals who have entered Cyprus through the north (such as via Ercan airport) are considered by the Government of the Republic of Cyprus to have entered Cyprus through an illegal port of entry. The Republic of Cyprus does not recognise the self-declared ‘Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus’ in the north of Cyprus......
The maximum period of visa-free stay in the Republic of Cyprus for all non-resident UK Nationals is 90 days within a 180-day period. The Republic of Cyprus authorities count time spent in the north of Cyprus towards the 90 day visa-free total. You should not exceed the maximum stay allowed on the island.....

Out of interest, and relating to the points extracted above - are visits to the north via Ercan (out and return) registered/known by the RoC? I.E. if a visitor arrives to the north via Ercan, stays e.g. 80 days and then departs via Ercan. TWO WEEKS later, arrives at Larnaca with the purpose of visiting/staying in the south (only!), would that visitor encounter any problem?
Or would the south know of his previous 80 days in the north? And how? (Unless stamps are now practiced at Ercan?)

frugal90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Post by frugal90 »

That would assume that the south had access to the north immigration records held on the computer. I presume they don't but stand to be corrected.

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

I understand the 'Republic of Cyprus' authorities have no access to the in's/out's at Ercan, a mute point when one nationalist south MP advocated RoC ID card holders being sanctioned for using Ercan, The TRNC authorities do not share information with the south, which the BHC confirms at https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic ... d-security
Safety and security
Political situation
The Republic of Cyprus is a full member of the EU, but the country remains divided by the Green Line. The self-declared ‘Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus’ is not recognised by the British government.

The authorities in north Cyprus do not share information regarding British Nationals in distress with the British High Commission, or the families affected. Even when the High Commission is aware of a British National in distress, the authorities in the north will not share information about their location, wellbeing or treatment. British nationals travelling to the north of Cyprus are more vulnerable and at greater risk.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”