Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

FlobbyWob
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Land Border Question

•   Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

Post by FlobbyWob »

Hey all,

I entered the TRNC via Ercan and periodically visit the South. I’ve noticed on the last few occasions that they never scan my passport, in fact they never have. The border guards don’t seem to enter any data and sometimes they don’t even open my passport and wave me on.

Is this normal? Is it a problem and should I ask that they look in future? I just want to avoid any potential issues.

mish
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Land Border Question

•   Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

Post by mish »

They scan on the RoC side, and manually enter the passport number into their system on TRNC side. Never have I had my passport ignored. Even at Ay Nic the SBA have a manual scanner in their hand as they walk round the car, often scanning as they go to open the boot.
m

Robgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Robgee »

Sometimes the ROC scan my passport, sometimes just wave me through. As a rule of thumb I take it my 90 days from the 1st time my passport is scanned. Not failed me so far.

Rob

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

It is Cyprus so expect it to be hit and miss! Living in the North I find it fun that we are only "allowed" 90 days in every 180 days in the South, however, if you enter the South via a crossing point and DON'T have your passport scanned then you are NOT there! If you DO have your passport scanned IN but DON'T have it scanned on the way back out again - YOU ARE STILL THERE!

With that in mind, what happens if you have your passport scanned on the way IN on day 1 of 90 yet don't have it scanned on the way out on day 90 then have you overstayed your 90/180 or not? OR, if you DON'T have it scanned on the way in but DO have it scanned on the way out - HOW DID YOU GET IN ANYWAY???

It is different if you enter the South via a legal entry point - Larnaca/Paphos/Limassol etc - as your 90/180 WILL start from the first day of entry! If you then cross into the North YOU HAVE NOT LEFT THE SOUTH YET and if you leave via Ercan/Kyrenia you are still on the Island.

There you go, easy as pie! If you want to confuse the issue then enter via Metahan - passport scanned in - and leave via Pile - passport not scanned OUT - where are you now? Even better, just reverse that and enter via Pile and leave via Metahan with your passport scanned on the way OUT even through you never entered!!! It is just a game the South are playing anyway, the same as the 1 days TOM because you are no longer an EU citizen and can't be trusted to drive there - lol. Funny that because I still drive exactly the same way I did when I was an EU citizen???
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

I can't help feeling that it's time to leave Cyprus, whether it's the north or south, neither side want us ex-pat Brits it seems.

FlobbyWob
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

Post by FlobbyWob »

mish wrote:
Fri 24 Feb 2023 7:28 pm
They scan on the RoC side, and manually enter the passport number into their system on TRNC side. Never have I had my passport ignored. Even at Ay Nic the SBA have a manual scanner in their hand as they walk round the car, often scanning as they go to open the boot.
m
Thanks for detailing your experience but, that isn’t mine.

FlobbyWob
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

Post by FlobbyWob »

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It calmed me a bit lol

I found it very odd and just didn’t want to end up in some sort of bureaucratic mess.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

The Bureaucratic mess is indeed an ongoing issue.
It’s not only about entering into the ROC. It’s about entry into the whole of the EU.
Soon the when EU countries border control eventually start to digitally communicate then the 90 wonderful allowance will be better policed.
If there’s a settlement upon the Cyprus problem then the whole Northern Cyprus position will of course change.
In EU terms the TRNC is indeed EU. Swollows like me beware
Residency holders beware.
Do we want a settlement now ?
As a now non European I say NO.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

waz-24-7, Do you honestly believe that "when EU countries border control eventually start to digitally communicate" that the RoC will take any notice at all of what the EU wants? At this present time I think that the North will be part of Turkiye long before it becomes part of the EU. The current status quo benefits the RoC so they will never want it to change anyway. The UN won't want to lose it's comfortable little Island and the RoC can't really afford to lose the income it gets from the UN either. The situation as it stands keeps MP's bums on seats and fat wallets while nobody really cares about the Turkish Cypriots themselves. I can't see why "Swallows" should beware, they have the best of both worlds as they see it and it's up to them if they want to stay or go. What do residency holders have to beware of that we have not had to beware of already? If the North should by some magic become joined with the South again then the vast majority of us have already lived here long enough to apply for EU Citizenship - well apart from the Swallows that is - lol.

What will happen, will happen the same as it did in the UK so just go with the flow because most of us will have no choice anyway!

frugal90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

Post by frugal90 »

How close is Cyprus to becoming a member of Schengen??

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

As of January 2023, Cyprus is not part of the Schengen Zone. However, the process of joining the Schengen Zone has started. This means that national visas issued by the Embassies of Cyprus are valid for Cyprus only. They do not permit the holder to enter other Schengen zone countries.2 Jan 2023

Would the EU be stupid enough - having already allowed the South to join the EU as part of a divided Island under occupation - to make another mistake or do they really need the money that badly?

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

waddo wrote:
Sat 25 Feb 2023 3:27 pm
waz-24-7, Do you honestly believe that "when EU countries border control eventually start to digitally communicate" that the RoC will take any notice at all of what the EU wants? At this present time I think that the North will be part of Turkiye long before it becomes part of the EU. The current status quo benefits the RoC so they will never want it to change anyway. The UN won't want to lose it's comfortable little Island and the RoC can't really afford to lose the income it gets from the UN either. The situation as it stands keeps MP's bums on seats and fat wallets while nobody really cares about the Turkish Cypriots themselves. I can't see why "Swallows" should beware, they have the best of both worlds as they see it and it's up to them if they want to stay or go. What do residency holders have to beware of that we have not had to beware of already? If the North should by some magic become joined with the South again then the vast majority of us have already lived here long enough to apply for EU Citizenship - well apart from the Swallows that is - lol.

What will happen, will happen the same as it did in the UK so just go with the flow because most of us will have no choice anyway!
The ROC is an EU member and therefore is somewhat guided by joint member state decisions. Cyprus must take note. I do not believe that Turkey will make claim of sovereignty over the North. It is relatively comfortable to militarily control the region. Certainly they finance the administration .The indigenous Cypriot by enlarge does not wish to be part of turkey but do wish to be Cypriot. I believe there is a movement of affinity towards the south and the advantage of being European. Indeed many TRNC Cypriots carry ROC passports. Most dislike mainland Turkish and feel their Cypriot identity is much diluted.
The UN presence is simply peacekeeping and makes no claim over the island.
The UK is content with its sovereign military bases. Peace prevails so the region is of little interest to guarantor powers and indeed the UN.

I don't think there is any immediate threat to UK ex pats TRNC residency but TRNC politics is more volatile than most. Recent changes to residency, driving licenses , currency, property ownership, travel and visas . et al does mean one should be abreast of developments if only to stay legal. Just look at the topics on this forum relating to changes in laws and legislation.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Wed 01 Mar 2023 10:07 pm
waddo wrote:

The ROC is an EU member and therefore is somewhat guided by joint member state decisions. Cyprus must take note. I do not believe that Turkey will make claim of sovereignty over the North. It is relatively comfortable to militarily control the region. Certainly they finance the administration .The indigenous Cypriot by enlarge does not wish to be part of turkey but do wish to be Cypriot. I believe there is a movement of affinity towards the south and the advantage of being European. Indeed many TRNC Cypriots carry ROC passports. Most dislike mainland Turkish and feel their Cypriot identity is much diluted.
The UK is content with its sovereign military bases. Peace prevails so the region is of little interest to guarantor powers and indeed the UN.

I don't think there is any immediate threat to UK ex pats TRNC residency but TRNC politics is more volatile than most. Recent changes to residency, driving licenses , currency, property ownership, travel and visas . et al does mean one should be abreast of developments if only to stay legal. Just look at the topics on this forum relating to changes in laws and legislation.
I will agree that over the last few years it’s been a little “challenging” to ensure compliance with new/changing rules and regulations. The overwhelming majority of ex pats; wether they live permanently in the TRNC or are “swallows”, just want to follow the regulations, support the TRNC and enjoy all that is has to offer.

There are a number of ex pat organisations who advise they meet regularly with government officials/departments to highlight, discuss and hopefully resolve the issues that affect all ex pats. Things move slowly and change takes time and if there is no feedback it can be frustrating, especially when there are more questions than answers. Hopefully these organisations are working on their members behalf and in time updates will be forthcoming.

Keep smiling.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Thu 02 Mar 2023 11:48 am
waz-24-7 wrote:
Wed 01 Mar 2023 10:07 pm
waddo wrote:

I will agree that over the last few years it’s been a little “challenging” to ensure compliance with new/changing rules and regulations. The overwhelming majority of ex pats; wether they live permanently in the TRNC or are “swallows”, just want to follow the regulations, support the TRNC and enjoy all that is has to offer.

There are a number of ex pat organisations who advise they meet regularly with government officials/departments to highlight, discuss and hopefully resolve the issues that affect all ex pats. Things move slowly and change takes time and if there is no feedback it can be frustrating, especially when there are more questions than answers. Hopefully these organisations are working on their members behalf and in time updates will be forthcoming.

Keep smiling.
Posh,
Are you sure that most ex pats want to "follow regulations" and "support the TRNC".
I'm not so sure,. Frustration is almost inevitable when any sort of local administrative task is needed. Recent new regulations such as driving license rules, residency applications, can present some serious time and monetary cost. Do ex pats really want to support the TRNC or is survival and keep your head under the radar the new normal. I think British ex pat groups and societies are losing influence as more wealthy groups of immigrants gain in numbers and influence. UK ex pats are , in my opinion, less important in recent years.

Sympathy for the indigenous Cypriot is often falling on deaf ears as most have a good subsidised life, drive expensive motor cars and are more than happy to ride the Turkish gravy train. They are not therefore and subsequently seeking any sort of re unification. Why would they?
The TRNC, in my opinion, is far from paradise but better than many other Mediterranean haunts. Island life, climate, village l culture, is attractive.
less attractive:
Litter and fly tipping, no regard for the environment, poor planning and building regulation, poor legal system with no duty of care, poor driving standards.

whatever .... you pay your money and make your choice

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Waz

The TRNC is far from perfect and I am sure the majority understand this to be so. Things have changed and this will continue.

For some these changes are really impacting on their way of life and how they view the TRNC. For others it’s age, health concerns etc. Many of course have sold up and chosen to make the TRNC their home so have to stay. Others have a choice to leave and go elsewhere.

You must remember there are many ex pats living in the TRNC from different countries. There are a number of ex pat groups in the TRNC of which the British group is just one. They do raise concerns and seek to resolve issues affecting the ex pat community as a whole. Yes it’s frustrating that there are always many unanswered questions but that is the way it is.

Finally yes I do believe the majority of ex pats from whichever country they come from do want to comply with the regulations simply because they like the TRNC and wish to support it.

For those that no longer find the TRNC to their liking only they can decide what they can or wish to do about it. Perhaps you fall into this group?
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”