General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

helendj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

debate - Surgery or Physiotherapy

•   Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Post by helendj »

I'm sure that more than one person in North Cyprus has or is suffering from herniated discs.
I have had one, as well as spinal stenosis, for some time now, resulting in being unable to walk any distances at all.
I've seen doctors and in the main they want me to undertake surgery, which apart from not being able to afford, am wary to have because of possible damage to the spine.
Another doctor has now said to me don't do surgery, have physiotherapy, there is no need for an operation.
So I really would appreciate Kibkomers responses to this. Has anyone a) had surgery, or b) had physiotherapy,
and what was the outcome
I had physio for a broken shoulder, and that was very very effective, so in all honesty I'm hoping that that would be a good route to go down.
I really would appreciate genuine advice from members who have had either surgery or physio, and perhaps where they had them. I would be grateful for any advice given.

snail921
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: debate - Surgery or Physiotherapy

•   Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

Post by snail921 »

I had much the same situation. Couldn’t walk more than 50 yards and could only stand for 5 minutes at a time. Consulted doctor Barbin (Karalanoglu), sent for MRI, then to Doctor Ahmet at Kolan hospital, lefkosa. Had 4 displaced vertebrae and 3 herniated disks. Operated on by Dr. Ahmet, can now walk and stand without difficulty. Can’t praise the staff at Kolan too highly. Total cost was 2800 sterling. PM me if you’d like any further info
Brian.

helendj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

Post by helendj »

Sorry forgot to type I have pmd you, in case you didn't see response

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

My husband was diagnosed in 2000 with disk problems in the uk,. Here in 2020 told He has sever spinal stenosis at Lumbar 3-4-5 plus 2 disk herniations.. operation required but visited an osteopath who has enabled him to still carry on. Preparing for the day, keeping off his weight and the osteopath has allowed him to continue to live with it.he is terrified of being in a wheelchair hence why he has not gone down the operation route.

helendj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

Post by helendj »

snd1966 I understand wholeheartedly what you are saying here, hence my request for a debate on the subject. I too am terrified of ending up in a wheelchair, so it was very very encouraging to hear Brian's experiences, where the operation was such a success that he can now walk properly, which is all any of us want isnt it. lt is such a debilitating problem and makes life so unpleasant. Sounds ridiculous but I would love to be able to walk round a supermarket or the Wednesday market, not just be parked at the nearest cafe until my husband does all the shopping. I would be very interested to hear from others in the same position, I think this could make my mind up as to which route I follow. In the meantime I wish your husband all the very best, I sincerely hope that the treatment he is getting from the osteopath goes from strength to strength, gets him out of pain and increases his mobility. Thank you for your input. x

snail921
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

Post by snail921 »

I too went to an osteopath and found that it gave only very temporary relief for an hour or so after the treatment. I was also worried about possible adverse results from surgery but I came to the conclusion that without the op I would end up in a wheelchair anyway. Waiting time in UK was said to be 18 months to 2 years, in which time I believe I would have been completely incapacitated.
The only downside I have found so far is that I can’t lift anything over 8 kg for the rest of my days which requires a rethink about a lot of my activities.

helendj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

Post by helendj »

Thank you for that Brian, if an Osteopath is giving you restricted mobility it does seem to me to be money ill spent, if his treatment was more effective it would be well worth it, mmm this is giving me so much to think about, so I really do thank you both for your input its giving me a lot of variables to think about. My main problem like yours was Brian not being able to walk or stand up for any length of time so I can identify with you. As for not being able to pick up more than 8 kg, that would be something I could live with, and adjust accordingly, and lets face it I can't life anything like that up now so it wouldn't be too much of a compromise.

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

I had a ruptured/ herniated disc in 2008 and first of all went to Erhard, the osteopath, in Ozankoy who referred me to Dr Can Çobanoğlu in Lefkoşa - see http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/32911.asp for more information. Also search this forum for 'cobanoglu' or 'Çobanoğlu'

I had no need for surgery but had extensive physio by his colleague. I have had occasional sciatica since but I don't think it's related. Obviously, everyone is different and what fixed me might not fix you but I think it's worth a try before surgery. Family, friends and I have seen him for various ailments throughout the years, all with good results and no surgery.

helendj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

Post by helendj »

I had to smile at your in put come_on_aylin, I have seen Dr. Can recently, lovely man, I did go to him for physio but didnt have physio with him but another of his interests, stem cell therapy which is what he was promoting! Had three sessions of this with him, but unfortunately had no improvement whatsoever. I think I was just one of his failures with this system although he's hoping that time will see me with some improvement. He did suggest I go back for sessions of laser and electrotherapy, but I confess I did not feel that this extended treatment would be that successful, so I declined. I do have to keep him updated with any progress. As I said lovely man but unfortunately his treatment wasn't for me.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

helendj,
you have to accept that you are in sort of a "trap"
not the "Osteopath is giving you restricted mobility" , the reason are your herniated discs.
the discs are not ok (any more) because of. .... whatever, but most probably you have to change parts of your life.

eg, you may did not practise enough and thats why your discs are not ok and now you suffer and you are not able to do what would be necessary... practise.
so, try physio, he-she will tell you how to escape the trap: first aid as a beginning, then: walk, yoga, home trainer, weight training.. (and.. reduce weight ??).
this will take several month but has an advantage: you practise regulary. one search shows: 20 min a day, no matter the age, is the target.

yes, you can have an op (and maybe it is necessary) and make the doctor a bit richer, but to have an op but not practise will directly lead into the same problem again as you have now.

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

helendj wrote:
Tue 28 Feb 2023 2:11 pm
I had to smile at your in put come_on_aylin, I have seen Dr. Can recently, lovely man, I did go to him for physio but didnt have physio with him but another of his interests, stem cell therapy which is what he was promoting! Had three sessions of this with him, but unfortunately had no improvement whatsoever. I think I was just one of his failures with this system although he's hoping that time will see me with some improvement. He did suggest I go back for sessions of laser and electrotherapy, but I confess I did not feel that this extended treatment would be that successful, so I declined. I do have to keep him updated with any progress. As I said lovely man but unfortunately his treatment wasn't for me.
I have been offered stem cell therapy by him for another problems - I tore the tendons in my shoulder. After a bit of research, I decided that it was a bit hit and miss and so I put up with the mild discomfort and take anti inflammatorys if it gets bad.

helendj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

Post by helendj »

Ouch that sounds really painful , but I understand why you did not have the stem cell therapy, I must confess I was trying anything, but I don't regret it, hopefully others had more luck than me, but for torn tendons I don't blame you for not having it, hopefully it eases as quickly as possible.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

kibsolar1999 wrote:
Tue 28 Feb 2023 2:14 pm
helendj,

eg, you may did not practise enough and thats why your discs are not ok and now you suffer and you are not able to do what would be necessary... practise.
so, try physio, he-she will tell you how to escape the trap: first aid as a beginning, then: walk, yoga, home trainer, weight training.. (and.. reduce weight ??).
this will take several month but has an advantage: you practise regulary. one search shows: 20 min a day, no matter the age, is the target.
The one thing Vasili the Osteopath said to us, I can help but when you get out of bed do not do anything until you do gentle exercises to ensure everything is warmed up correctly. This has helped both Gary and I in our pain levels and movement.

helendj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

Post by helendj »

Good solid advice.

helendj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

Post by helendj »

I think now that I have had all the advice I am likely to get on this subject, and I must say I am so grateful for the knowledge you have all imparted. I really do feel a lot better having had these discussions with you and it has changed my perspective on the subject. Until Brian contacted me I was definitely anti-operation as I was worried about ending up in a wheelchair, but his experience has shown me that an operation may be the only viable option. Erring on the side of caution, however, I think I will have some sessions with a physiotherapist just to see whether there is any improvement and then progress to the operation. I can't tell you how grateful I am to have had your advice, I knew I wasn't the only one with this problem but to discuss it with others is so helpful I can't tell you. The last year has been difficult health wise, my back has been a problem for a long time and if I can get that sorted out I shall be so much happier as I know you will all understand. So thank you all once again, let all of us be out of pain and enjoying our lives! Many many thanks

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

helendj wrote:
Wed 01 Mar 2023 5:54 am
I think now that I have had all the advice I am likely to get on this subject, and I must say I am so grateful for the knowledge you have all imparted. I really do feel a lot better having had these discussions with you and it has changed my perspective on the subject. Until Brian contacted me I was definitely anti-operation as I was worried about ending up in a wheelchair, but his experience has shown me that an operation may be the only viable option. Erring on the side of caution, however, I think I will have some sessions with a physiotherapist just to see whether there is any improvement and then progress to the operation. I can't tell you how grateful I am to have had your advice, I knew I wasn't the only one with this problem but to discuss it with others is so helpful I can't tell you. The last year has been difficult health wise, my back has been a problem for a long time and if I can get that sorted out I shall be so much happier as I know you will all understand. So thank you all once again, let all of us be out of pain and enjoying our lives! Many many thanks
Good luck and I hope you find a solution x

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”