General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Yorkie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

30 day stay rule

•   Message 1 of 36 in Discussion

Post by Yorkie »

Can anybody tell me what sense does it make to have the 30 day stay rule and why the government introduced it?
We have friends that were looking at buying a property with a view to spending a few months of the year here and then letting family and friends stay at other times.
They have decided to buy in South Cyprus due to the 30 day rule.
There are new projects being built from the east to the west here. Who is going to buy them if their use is going to be so severely limited?

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: 30 day stay rule

•   Message 2 of 36 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

Same rules in the south.

The rule is to get' residency'

Property is 3 times more expensive in the south.

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 36 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

I was under the impression you can stay for 90 days in any 180 day period. Where does this 30 day rule come from?

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 36 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

Attached are the rules for visiting TRNC https://mfa.gov.ct.tr/consular-info/visa-regulations/

You will see tourists will automatically get 30 days, family of a home owner may get 60 days if in possession of an invitation letter.

Homeowners may be granted a visa of up to 90 days, if they can prove ownership of an immovable property.

The rules for entry to the South of the island are different and entry to the North from the South does not stop the clock ticking on the days allowed by the South.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 5 of 36 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

13roman58 wrote:
Wed 01 Mar 2023 1:13 pm
Same rules in the south.

Agree 100% that if you want extended stays then get residency.

However; for the timescales involved are causing problems for all, especially “swallows”. The process does need to be improved.

The majority of us want to comply with the regulations and support the TRNC, but sometimes it’s a little frustrating.

However; we still love the place!
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

vialla
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 36 in Discussion

Post by vialla »

Stayed with my wife 37 days instead 30 days as a result were fined for 7000 TL

techtrader
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 36 in Discussion

Post by techtrader »

It's all very well saying 'get residency' but that system is a mess at the moment I estimate my renewal for a 1 year residency will take well over half a year with police dates being given now 4 or 5 months away. I have already been fined for exiting when just following their system so now I am forced to push my way in and complete the police part of the application still not knowing if I am 'allowed' to exit??

As i told immigration coming back in most will be forced to do this thus rendering their appointment system a complete waste of time!

Also what are the implications of the health insurance if you are waiting months to complete the residency having not paid for it till the very end of the process?

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 36 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

Anyone having this problem go to the immigration office in lefcosia and ask, they will sort it out.
Don't wait for appointment just go.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 9 of 36 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

13roman58 wrote:
Wed 01 Mar 2023 7:25 pm
Anyone having this problem go to the immigration office in lefcosia and ask, they will sort it out.
Don't wait for appointment just go.
And therein lies the problem.

I know that going to the polis ahead of any appointment or direct to immigration will most likely solve the problem, however it then makes a mockery of the booking process that is in place. The more that have to do this means staff cannot process the submissions going thro the system.

It doesn’t solve the problem unfortunately.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

techtrader
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 36 in Discussion

Post by techtrader »

100% Agreed Posh.... and you know the really annoying thing, when I went to the Police and 'pushed in' I just walked straight up to the window (showed proof of next flight) and it was done in seconds there was literally no one there!!! Believe it or not that pissed me off more :-|

Yorkie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 36 in Discussion

Post by Yorkie »

13roman58 wrote:
Wed 01 Mar 2023 1:13 pm
Same rules in the south.

I think you will find there is not as big a difference now in price as there once was.

Yorkie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 36 in Discussion

Post by Yorkie »

techtrader wrote:
Wed 01 Mar 2023 3:24 pm
It's all very well saying 'get residency' but that system is a mess at the moment I estimate my renewal for a 1 year residency will take well over half a year with police dates being given now 4 or 5 months away. I have already been fined for exiting when just following their system so now I am forced to push my way in and complete the police part of the application still not knowing if I am 'allowed' to exit??

As i told immigration coming back in most will be forced to do this thus rendering their appointment system a complete waste of time!

Also what are the implications of the health insurance if you are waiting months to complete the residency having not paid for it till the very end of the process?
Totally agree Techtrader.
The government here seem hell bent on causing as much confusion as possible. I don't understand why they want to create havoc that stops people coming and spending cash.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 13 of 36 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Whilst there is no doubt many are confused and frustrated about the residency process, please refrain from attacking TRNC government departments. Posts not following this guidance will be removed.

I would suggest that it is better to get advice or raise concerns directly with organisations such as the BRS, TFR or other such groups. These organisations have access, contacts and regular meetings with the government and can raise such concerns and provide feedback.

Thank You.

techtrader
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 36 in Discussion

Post by techtrader »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Wed 01 Mar 2023 11:16 pm
I would suggest that it is better to get advice or raise concerns directly with organisations such as the BRS, TFR or other such groups. These organisations have access, contacts and regular meetings with the government and can raise such concerns and provide feedback.

Thank You.
Tried that biggest waste of time ever just self-serving wannabes who like to think they are important and to keep their chair at the (so-called) big table will not rock any government boat ever.

techtrader
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 36 in Discussion

Post by techtrader »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Whilst there is no doubt many are confused and frustrated about the residency process, please refrain from attacking TRNC government departments. Posts not following this guidance will be removed.

To whom do you refer btw.? I see no evidence of any such claim in this topic.
Pointing out the pitfalls of a poorly thought out process is absolutely part of free speech rights and surely the reason for having such a forum!

english teacher
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 36 in Discussion

Post by english teacher »

I agree entirely Erol.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 17 of 36 in Discussion

Post by erol »

english teacher wrote:
Thu 02 Mar 2023 7:41 am
I agree entirely Erol.
?

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 18 of 36 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

techtrader wrote:
Wed 01 Mar 2023 11:52 pm
PoshinDevon wrote:

Pointing out the pitfalls of a poorly thought out process is absolutely part of free speech rights and surely the reason for having such a forum!
I was not referring to anyone and no posts have been removed. However, it is clear this subject is causing frustration and annoyance. I was issuing a timely reminder, before it may happen.

As per forum rules, please do not post attacks on the forum unless you are a verified member with proof of identity and address. Please be aware that we have at times been contacted and asked to remove these posts and that legal action can be taken against those making such posts.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=54071&p=274557&hili ... er#p274557

greenockmorton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 36 in Discussion

Post by greenockmorton »

For the purposes of clarity could someone tell me if it's 30 days in 1 year. We have a villa in Esentepe and I thought we could stay 90 days in 180. Also do we require a visa, as we've never needed one before.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 20 of 36 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

greenockmorton wrote:
Thu 02 Mar 2023 10:45 am
For the purposes of clarity could someone tell me if it's 30 days in 1 year. We have a villa in Esentepe and I thought we could stay 90 days in 180. Also do we require a visa, as we've never needed one before.
My understanding is that as a tourist it’s 30 days. However; as a property owner I believe it is 90 days.
It is useful to let immigration know when you present your passport that you own a property. If you have a copy of your Kocan or bill of sale contract to show on arrival at immigration control that is helpful. This will be either at Ercan airport or at the border crossings if arriving via the south. They will then normally give 90 days.

Alternatively if you do not have proof of ownership with you and are not given the 90 days you can go to immigration in Lefkosa as soon as possible after arrival and present the necessary paperwork.

Of course if you arrive via an airport in the ROC you should not show any paperwork regarding property purchase/ownership in the TRNC.

Please note this is only my understanding of the rules.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 21 of 36 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

My understanding is that as a tourist it’s 30 days. However; as a property owner I believe it is 90 days.

there are 2 rules (for non residents):
1. you get a certain time to stay "in one go", eg, 30 days for tourists. or up to 90 days for home owners.
2. as long you do not have a residency, , home owner or not, the " 90 in 180" day rule apply as well.

the difference to the south is, for non residents the RoC does not use rule 1, rule 2 only.

meaning,
- a tourist/swallow has to leave TRNC after 30 days, otherwise a fine applies. or they try to get an extension at lefkosa immigration head quarter.
- rule 2 applies as well, meaning they can come 3 x 30 days in 180 days. or 6 x 15 days... also here: use schengen calculator.

meaning also, a home owner without residency and who got 90 days to stay "in one go", has to leave after 90 days and needs to use the schengen calculator to see when it would be ok to come back and for how long.... when you leave, the border officers do use the schengen calculator as well.
pls note, sometimes "the system" is down and - or the officers do not "realise" that the given time (eg 90 days from rule 1 ) is in conflict with rule 2.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 36 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Question. Applicable only to those visitors who do not have residency - When entering the North via Ercan is there any notification by anybody - apart from taxi drivers - that you have only received a 30 day visa? The old system of a bit of paper worked then was discarded and stamps were put in passports along with a number (anywhere between 5 and 90) as I seem to recall. What is the system now then?
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Yorkie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 36 in Discussion

Post by Yorkie »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Thu 02 Mar 2023 8:49 am
techtrader wrote:
Wed 01 Mar 2023 11:52 pm
PoshinDevon wrote:

I was not referring to anyone and no posts have been removed. However, it is clear this subject is causing frustration and annoyance. I was issuing a timely reminder, before it may happen.

As per forum rules, please do not post attacks on the forum unless you are a verified member with proof of identity and address. Please be aware that we have at times been contacted and asked to remove these posts and that legal action can be taken against those making such posts.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=54071&p=274557&hili ... er#p274557
I don't want to dish any government but the rules are going to cost TRNC to the benefit of ROC. Just doesn't make any sense.
Also got friends who are looking at a 6 week holiday over Christmas next year to get away from the UK weather. TRNC is now totally out of the running but they still have the south option.

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 36 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

Yorkie wrote:
Thu 02 Mar 2023 8:23 pm

I don't want to dish any government but the rules are going to cost TRNC to the benefit of ROC. Just doesn't make any sense.
Also got friends who are looking at a 6 week holiday over Christmas next year to get away from the UK weather. TRNC is now totally out of the running but they still have the south option.
From the link posted by Aylin - https://mfa.gov.ct.tr/consular-info/visa-regulations/
- they should be ok under one or the other of the following clauses -

VISA TYPES AND PERIODS OF STAY

TOURIST VISA

Those who come to the country for touristic visits and will stay at a hotel or other accommodation facility and those who have rented an accommodation for this purpose, can be issued a visa for a maximum of 30 days. If they can submit documents showing that a prior payment has been made for accommodation, a visa up to 90 days may be granted.

A visa up to 60 days can be issued to those who arrive in the country for the purpose of family visit and stay at the inviting family member’s house. A visa up to 90 days may be issued to those who come for official visits, business meetings, conferences, seminars, meetings, festivals, fairs, exhibitions, sporting events, cultural and artistic events, health tourism and similar purposes.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 36 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

https://icisleri.gov.ct.tr/Portals/7/VI ... G%29_1.pdf

Direct from the Immigration Web Site @ https://icisleri.gov.ct.tr/

It's all in there folks and the web site is easy and in english as well!

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 26 of 36 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

waddo wrote:
Thu 02 Mar 2023 2:07 pm
Question. Applicable only to those visitors who do not have residency - When entering the North via Ercan is there any notification by anybody - apart from taxi drivers - that you have only received a 30 day visa? The old system of a bit of paper worked then was discarded and stamps were put in passports along with a number (anywhere between 5 and 90) as I seem to recall. What is the system now then?
Far be it for me to confuse things! We have residency. Left TRNC in June last year. I returned via Ercan in Sept. Presented passport. Passport stamped and off I went. Checked a few days later. Given 30 days only.

However; as I have residency permit I was not concerned. I would have thought that as my details came up on the immigration officers screen they would have been able to see I had residency and stamped 90 days. Maybe not?

Wife returned a couple of weeks later. Presented passport. Stamped 90 days.

I am sure in time we will be able to scan in our documents, make payments and it will all be a truly “on line” process.

Kanonier
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 36 in Discussion

Post by Kanonier »

As a matter of interest PiD, did you present your TR permit to the Passport Control Officer?

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 28 of 36 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Kanonier wrote:
Fri 03 Mar 2023 10:30 am
As a matter of interest PiD, did you present your TR permit to the Passport Control Officer?
It was clipped into the back of the passport.

I just thought that when passport details were entered the information on the screen would automatically show I had a residence permit.

Who knows?

In the words of Toyah….. It’s a mystery!

Kanonier
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 36 in Discussion

Post by Kanonier »

👍 Many thanks.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 30 of 36 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

come back to the original question
Can anybody tell me what sense does it make to have the 30 day stay rule and why the government introduced it?

well, it was and may is very attractive, for both workers and employeers, to come , eg with a ferry, work for 90 days, then leave and be back after 90 days without paying social insurance. "tourist workers".
father- son, uncle-nephew or other "rings" are formed quickly and make sure work can continue uninterrupted.

after the introduction of the 30 day rule, more proper jobs have been created on the one hand, on the other hand many still entered the country but did not leave after 30 days, basically they never left.... and are now illegals (who work of course), some since years.
thats why the gov regulary announces "amnesties".

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 36 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Posh, We are also residence holders but often used to be asked about residency when crossing into the South. Last year I cured the problem by having a copy of our residence "Stay Permit" covered in plastic to the same size as the passport, now we just leave that inside the passport so it is the first thing the immigration sees when we leave/return. Not had any questions since I started using this. Cheap and cheerful as well as helpful thing to have with you. Take it out when showing to Greek side but put it back in for Turkish and SBA sides.

Nc2016
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 36 in Discussion

Post by Nc2016 »

I went South shopping twice in January ( first time since pre-Covid). I had to present a printout of my residency certificate both times. The second time, was the last day of residency and bless the policeman, he pointed this out to me, asked if I’d bought everything I needed and advised me not to cross again until my residency was renewed or I could be fined.

artic monkey
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 36 in Discussion

Post by artic monkey »

Myself, my wife and a friend arrived in TRNC - at Ercan on 23rd August last. We stayed until 15th October, (53 days). Luckily I had our Kocan with me as for the first time in 15 years we were questioned as to the purpose/length of stay of our visit and a photocopy was taken of the Kocan. In a "sinister" corollary to this a few days later an official of some sort turned up at our house, we are in the Karpaz, near Yeni Erenkoy. He had no English so I called a local friend to interpret and it turned out he wanted to know if we were permanent residents or did we come and go. When it was established that we came 2 or 3 times per year for up to a couple of months at a time he left without a word. We are booked to arrive again at Ercan on 5th April and stay until 25th May, (51 days).
I have a couple of questions and wonder if anyone could enlighten me:
1: When does the 180 days rule apply from taking into account our upcoming visit, would it be from the beginning or end of our last visit from 23rd August to 15th October?.
2: My wife and I travel on Irish passports, should this make any difference as obviously Ireland is still in the EU, or would this only have any relevance if arriving via Larnaca, which we occasionally do?. Thanks in advance for any clarification. AM.
As an aside, we did apply for and got residency about 5 or 6 years ago when the received wisdom was apply once after 60 and that would be it; obviously that has now gone by the wayside.
Some spread happiness wherever they go,others,whenever they go.

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 36 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

Hi artic,

In all my years here (30 plus) never heard of people ('swallows') getting a visit like you experienced. I could be wrong, but having had residency once and re-appearing on the radar, this prompted a check. If only they were as vigilant with the 'mainlanders' coming in on tourist visas to work for various lengths of time!

Waddo: Can I clarify, are you showing your north residency to the south immigration?
Even if their response was 'OK', I would advise against anyone doing that, especially if the category of residency in the north is stated as, 'Immovable property ownership' or anything related to 'property'; since the new law (not retrospective) in the south since 2016, the made it 'illegal' to deal, buy sell in property in the north'. Of course they are not being racist, but it seems so far the have only targeted UK nationals!

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 35 of 36 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

laptawrinkly wrote:
Tue 07 Mar 2023 12:58 pm
Hi artic,

In all my years here (30 plus) never heard of people ('swallows') getting a visit like you experienced. I could be wrong, but having had residency once and re-appearing on the radar, this prompted a check. If only they were as vigilant with the 'mainlanders' coming in on tourist visas to work for various lengths of time!

Waddo: Can I clarify, are you showing your north residency to the south immigration?
Even if their response was 'OK', I would advise against anyone doing that, especially if the category of residency in the north is stated as, 'Immovable property ownership' or anything related to 'property'; since the new law (not retrospective) in the south since 2016, the made it 'illegal' to deal, buy sell in property in the north'. Of course they are not being racist, but it seems so far the have only targeted UK nationals!
Showing passport and residency paperwork to the TRNC green line control point. Removes residency paperwork when showing passport to the ROC green line control point. Saves the aggravation.

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 36 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

:+1:)

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”