Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

CPFC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Taking a car to the South

•   Message 1 of 34 in Discussion

Post by CPFC »

Hello all

I know that this has been covered numerous times but I was after some more info please?

I am a “swallow” and have a NC registered car and would like to drive across to Larnaca to collect someone from the airport - I have seen people mention a “TOM” form but was not sure what this was?

I assume I will also need insurance - could anyone confirm the cost please?

Anything else I will need?

Many thanks :+1:)

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Re: Taking a car to the South

•   Message 2 of 34 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

You will need your driving licence.

When you arrive at the border at Metehan you will need the TOM and then purchase insurance.

Present your vehicle documents and driving licence at the booth next to the insurance booths. After checking paperwork you will be issued with the TOM paperwork. Then go and purchase insurance.

You should be aware that the booth where the TOM is issued is not 24hrs. Booth opens at 8am I believe. You will only get the TOM valid for 1 day up until midnight on day of issue. If the TOM validation runs out any insurance purchased is invalid. I don’t think the TOM booth is open on a weekend either.

Cost for insurance I believe is 25 euro/month. Don’t think you can purchase insurance just for the day, however others will no doubt confirm.

So if you are planning on going then try to cross a few times in the month that you have insurance to make the most of it. Of course you still have to get a TOM each time!

Hope this helps.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

thornaby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 34 in Discussion

Post by thornaby »

Can the licence be a trnc one?

TRNCMaths
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 34 in Discussion

Post by TRNCMaths »

thornaby wrote:
Mon 06 Mar 2023 11:02 am
Can the licence be a trnc one?
Yes, if the holder is a Turkish Cypriot and moreover is a Cypriot recognized by the authorities in the south.

But no, if you're British or, like myself, you're a Turkish Cypriot only by marriage who hasn't gone through the procedure of getting south-side recognition.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 34 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

Tom office may only be open 9 to 1pm Mon to Fri unless it's a Bank Holiday

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 34 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Insurance valid for 1 month @ 25 euros!!!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

CPFC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 34 in Discussion

Post by CPFC »

Thanks all - much appreciated

I assume that this can be done at the Pyla crossing as well?

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 8 of 34 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

CPFC wrote:
Mon 06 Mar 2023 7:50 pm
Thanks all - much appreciated

I assume that this can be done at the Pyla crossing as well?
At the Pyla/Beyamudu crossing I don’t think you can get the TOM.

I believe you need to go via Metehan ensuring you cross at the times when the booth that issues the TOM is open.

They don’t make it easy.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

greengate
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 34 in Discussion

Post by greengate »

CPFC - you have not said how old the driver would be.

From what i understand, if he/she is over 70 and uses a UK licence, then an eyesight test is required, (fitness to drive) which has to be issued/signed by a GC doctor. If you are affected, you may want to check this out, as i think it was put in force in 2021, but may have been changed.
It may well prevent insurance from being issued.

If anyone knows differently, i would like to know if this is still current.

CPFC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 34 in Discussion

Post by CPFC »

Hi

I am under 70 yo.

Is Metehan the crossing in Nicosia?

Thanks

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 11 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Is Metehan the crossing in Nicosia?
Yes! - you shouldn't have any problems - Good luck...

CPFC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 34 in Discussion

Post by CPFC »

I guess that having got the TOM in Nicosia you can return via Pyla?

Thanks

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 34 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

Please be aware each TOM 89 document is uniquely numbered. The insurance document includes the TOM 89 unique reference number.

The insurance document wording says something along the lines of “this insurance is invalid if not accompanied by the referenced TOM 89 document”.

Upon each one-day TOM 89 issued within the (minimum of) one month insurance issued, you need to have the insurance document reissued (amended) to reference the current TOM 89 issued for the day.

Multiple trips across to the south during the month’s insurance require a new TOM 89 issued on each occasion and a revised insurance document issued on each occasion.

Hope that makes sense.
libens volens potens

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 34 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

CPFC wrote:
Tue 07 Mar 2023 7:01 am
I guess that having got the TOM in Nicosia you can return via Pyla?

Thanks
Yes you can

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 15 of 34 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

a1sysman wrote:
Tue 07 Mar 2023 8:13 am
Please be aware each TOM 89 document is uniquely numbered. The insurance document includes the TOM 89 unique reference number.

The insurance document wording says something along the lines of “this insurance is invalid if not accompanied by the referenced TOM 89 document”.

Upon each one-day TOM 89 issued within the (minimum of) one month insurance issued, you need to have the insurance document reissued (amended) to reference the current TOM 89 issued for the day.

Multiple trips across to the south during the month’s insurance require a new TOM 89 issued on each occasion and a revised insurance document issued on each occasion.

Hope that makes sense.
Thanks for this. Must admit I wasn’t aware.

Again they don’t make it easy.

TRNCMaths
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 34 in Discussion

Post by TRNCMaths »

a1sysman wrote:
Tue 07 Mar 2023 8:13 am
Please be aware each TOM 89 document is uniquely numbered. The insurance document includes the TOM 89 unique reference number. The insurance document wording says something along the lines of “this insurance is invalid if not accompanied by the referenced TOM 89 document”.
Upon each one-day TOM 89 issued within the (minimum of) one month insurance issued, you need to have the insurance document reissued (amended) to reference the current TOM 89 issued for the day.Multiple trips across to the south during the month’s insurance require a new TOM 89 issued on each occasion and a revised insurance document issued on each occasion. Hope that makes sense.
I didn't know that, but yes, unfortunately it makes sense.
Waddo (on another thread on Feb 9th) wrote:Met a woman on Tuesday who takes her child across to the South for school every day of the week - you guessed it, every day has to stop to get a TOM - British passport holder getting the benefits of Brexit - lol
So, Waddo ... is that woman you met also going to the insurance booth every day ... as well as the TOM booth.

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 34 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

My Minerva insurance doc reads:
The insurance cover granted under this covering note shall cease immediately:
(a) …
(b) …
(c) When this covering note is not accompanied by valid Department of Transport documents with numbers 89 and 90 issued for the insured vehicle and each of the insured drivers.
… so, you also need same names (named drivers) on the TOM 89 document if you have named drivers as opposed to single named driver on the insurance document.

I think it unlikely one will be issued with a TOM 89 document with anyone other than the name on the vehicle kocan.

Not a problem if the vehicle kocan is in two or more names and these are the same names presenting their UK driving licences upon application for the TOM 89 document.
libens volens potens

CPFC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 34 in Discussion

Post by CPFC »

Thanks all - think it will be easier to get a taxi for the pick up at Larnaca rather than messing about with the TOM etc !

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 19 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

I think it unlikely one will be issued with a TOM 89 document with anyone other than the name on the vehicle kocan.
I went across to the South in my Husband's vehicle which has only his name on the Koçan, and the guy happily issued me a TOM in my name although the name on my passport was different to the name on the Koçan - and we do have different surnames....

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 34 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

Keithcaley wrote:
Tue 07 Mar 2023 10:12 pm
I went across to the South in my Husband's vehicle which has only his name on the Koçan, and the guy happily issued me a TOM in my name although the name on my passport was different to the name on the Koçan - and we do have different surnames....
👍
libens volens potens

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 34 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

As there is no check point on the Pyla crossing back into the North from the South then your passport will never be scanned by the RoC as having left again - therefore, you are still in the RoC if you come back via Pyla. Also if I get my TOM from Metahan (the only office of issue) then come straight back over into the North, having had my passport scanned both In and Out of the RoC, drive I to Dhekelia via Pyla, when I cross at the SBA they have never asked me for TOM/Insurance or scanned my passport??? Where am I now - lol???

Just love this country - not too keen on the other half and it's "variable" rules of the day but what the heck, it was my choice to live here and not there! All was well till I was unceremoniously stripped of my EU citizenship - boo.

TRNCMaths
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 34 in Discussion

Post by TRNCMaths »

waddo wrote:
Wed 08 Mar 2023 11:36 am
As there is no check point on the Pyla crossing back into the North from the South then your passport will never be scanned by the RoC as having left again - therefore, you are still in the RoC if you come back via Pyla.
Even if you come back through crossings, where your passport is scanned by the southside, aren't we still considered as not leaving the RoC ... at least in terms of the 90-out-of-180-days rule?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 23 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Even if you come back through crossings, where your passport is scanned by the southside, aren't we still considered as not leaving the RoC ... at least in terms of the 90-out-of-180-days rule?
I think that you are right - so in effect, you get 90 days from your passport first being scanned when crossing the Green Line to enter the South.

It does seem to be rather hit-and-miss though, so your experience may differ 😉

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 34 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

"Even if you come back through crossings, where your passport is scanned by the southside, aren't we still considered as not leaving the RoC ... at least in terms of the 90-out-of-180-days rule?"

Probably!!! Maybe!!! Depends!!!

I entered the TRNC via Kyrenia in 2007 as an EU citizen. That was entering the EU via an illegal port! I have never left the Island for anything since that date. I have crossed the Green Line many times as and EU citizen and as a Third World National, each time returning to the TRNC. As the EU claims the TRNC is part of the EU yet the EU does not recognise the TRNC but abides by the Green Line agreements, it can be a "little" confusing.
However, it appears that the RoC will recognise the TRNC as an "occupied" area of the EU and that Third Country Nationals who live there have to abide by a different set of rules. There are little things that can confuse, like the RoC coaches that are allowed to cross from the South to the North yet TRNC coaches are not allowed!

Keith has it right - hit and miss - However, to understand it fully you need to read - https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content ... 6-20150831 - and in particular -
(6)

Regarding persons, the policy of the Government of the Republic of Cyprus currently allows the crossing of the line by all citizens of the Republic, EU citizens and third-country nationals who are legally residing in the northern part of Cyprus, and by all EU citizens and third country nationals who entered the island through the Government Controlled Areas.

Then do not miss this little tidbit either - 3. Third-country nationals shall only be allowed to cross the line provided they:

(a) possess either a residence permit issued by the Republic of Cyprus or a valid travel document and, if required, a valid visa for the Republic of Cyprus, and

(b) do not represent a threat to public policy or public security.

Once you have read and understood most of the above document, you may understand why the RoC is in a quandary over who can come across and for how long and under which rules/regulations. Simply put, if you are a Third Country National (British) you need a residence permit issued by the RoC, which you can not obtain unless you live in the RoC - which of course would make you an EU citizen and give you the right to cross anyway. But you can not obtain one if you live in "occupied" territory as the RoC do not recognise that territory.

Good explanation of the whole thing, abbreviated so all can understand it - Catch 22!!!

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 25 of 34 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

waddo wrote:
Wed 08 Mar 2023 11:36 am
As there is no check point on the Pyla crossing back into the North from the South then your passport will never be scanned by the RoC as having left again - therefore, you are still in the RoC if you come back via Pyla. Also if I get my TOM from Metahan (the only office of issue) then come straight back over into the North, having had my passport scanned both In and Out of the RoC, drive I to Dhekelia via Pyla, when I cross at the SBA they have never asked me for TOM/Insurance or scanned my passport??? Where am I now - lol???

Just love this country - not too keen on the other half and it's "variable" rules of the day but what the heck, it was my choice to live here and not there! All was well till I was unceremoniously stripped of my EU citizenship - boo.
I think you will find that the ROC authorities do not recognise the border. They just see it as the green line.

The scanning of the passport on entering the ROC starts the 90 day/180 day clock. The ROC have a record of when you came into the ROC…. You can cross as often as you wish in the 90 days, then you must not cross once the 90 days are up and not cross for a further 90 days. So if they scan your passport on entry there is no need to scan on way out… they know when you have entered and can control the 90/180 day ruling. My understanding.

Of course if you enter the ROC with a view to leaving via Larnaca/Paphos they will have this record and scan you out when you leave.

Probably still lots of questions!

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 34 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Posh, That's the whole point. If the RoC just see it as the Green Line then that's fine but they are in the EU and must (should) abide by the EU rules regarding the Green Line, which they sometimes do and sometimes don't do.

Not trying to have an argument here in anyway at all, just trying to point out that it is a mess and that in reality the RoC are being quite kind to us (British) Third Country Nationals by letting us enter when we - or at least some of us, myself included - could easily be classified as illegal immigrants? Maybe I should just keep quiet then - lol.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 27 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

...and a further thought...

If they consider you to still be in the ROC for the whole of the 90 days following the day when you were noted to have first entered, and to have thus 'used up' your 90 days...

...then surely you are still regarded as being in the ROC on day 91, day 92 , and so on, in perpetuity - yes/no??

So, if you are still there, exceeding your allotted stay, why do they allow you back in on day 181?

Beats me!

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 28 of 34 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Like I said still loads of questions!

We entered via Metehan, left via the SBA crossing at Beyamudu the same day last November. If/when we cross again probably this summer we will see if the ROC authorities ask any questions.

In the old Johnny Nash song …. There are more questions than answers.

TRNCMaths
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 34 in Discussion

Post by TRNCMaths »

Keithcaley wrote:
Wed 08 Mar 2023 7:01 pm
If they consider you to still be in the ROC for the whole of the 90 days following the day when you were noted to have first entered, and to have thus 'used up' your 90 days ... then surely you are still regarded as being in the ROC on day 91, day 92 , and so on, in perpetuity - yes/no??
So, if you are still there, exceeding your allotted stay, why do they allow you back in on day 181?
It's something I've also pondered - they could do that ... maybe in the future the south-side will :( But then, if such north-side-residing Brits aren't allowed back, or, say, have to pay a fine for doing so, then the south would lose revenue ... especially from those Brits who like using Larnaca Airport. Maybe that's why, after 180 days, they turn a blind eye to those Brits who are deemed to have exceeded their allotted stay?
Posh wrote:Like I said still loads of questions!
Quite

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 34 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

Is this ROC requirement for drivers aged 70+ to have an eyesight test enforced? What about tourists?

CPFC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 34 in Discussion

Post by CPFC »

Follow up question please.

Is it possible to get the TOM and insurance from Metehan in, for example, the morning and then later that same day (after returning from the South) cross and return via Pyla?

Many thanks 😊

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 34 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

The TOM is only valid until 12pm on the day of issue regardless of what time of day you get it so no point to get another one.

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 34 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

CPFC wrote:
Tue 28 Mar 2023 6:43 am

Is it possible to get the TOM and insurance from Metehan in, for example, the morning and then later that same day (after returning from the South) cross and return via Pyla?

Many thanks 😊
You can get your valid-until-midnight TOM in the morning at Metehan, then purchase minimum of one month vehicle insurance for driving in the RoC - if not already in possession of valid RoC issued vehicle insurance - and cross back and forth as often as you wish via any vehicle crossing point, returning to the north within the period of validity of your TOM document through any vehicle crossing point. Assuming your TOM is a valid-until-midnight issued document - the document will just be dated for the day of issue.

Be aware the TOM number is recorded on the RoC issued vehicle insurance (cover note). If you intend to cross over more than once during the minimum of one month insurance and you were issued with a valid-until-midnight on day of issue TOM the day you purchased insurance, on each occasion you travel south in the vehicle within the month’s insurance validity you need to have the insurance cover note re-issued (no charge) to reflect each new TOM document you obtain.

The RoC vehicle insurance cover note states the policy is immediately invalidated upon expiry of the TOM number recorded on the cover note. This is why l say update the policy note when obtaining subsequent TOM documents.
libens volens potens

CPFC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 34 in Discussion

Post by CPFC »

a1sysman wrote:
Tue 28 Mar 2023 8:31 am
CPFC wrote:
Tue 28 Mar 2023 6:43 am

Many thanks 😊
You can get your valid-until-midnight TOM in the morning at Metehan, then purchase minimum of one month vehicle insurance for driving in the RoC - if not already in possession of valid RoC issued vehicle insurance - and cross back and forth as often as you wish via any vehicle crossing point, returning to the north within the period of validity of your TOM document through any vehicle crossing point. Assuming your TOM is a valid-until-midnight issued document - the document will just be dated for the day of issue.

Be aware the TOM number is recorded on the RoC issued vehicle insurance (cover note). If you intend to cross over more than once during the minimum of one month insurance and you were issued with a valid-until-midnight on day of issue TOM the day you purchased insurance, on each occasion you travel south in the vehicle within the month’s insurance validity you need to have the insurance cover note re-issued (no charge) to reflect each new TOM document you obtain.

The RoC vehicle insurance cover note states the policy is immediately invalidated upon expiry of the TOM number recorded on the cover note. This is why l say update the policy note when obtaining subsequent TOM documents.

Many thanks - just hope the Easyjet flight is not delayed and I can get back before midnight :x))

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”