General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

susiesusie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Registering a will recent topic

•   Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

Post by susiesusie »

Noticed the recent post of registering a will here.
Solicitors now inform me that even though you make a will you still have to go to probate.! That costs around 3k and other costs depending if you are British or not. Pretty disgraceful system here . It makes no sense at all.
That information is off 2 different solicitors this morning.

Brend
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Registering a will recent topic

•   Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Brend »

Found that out when I went to pick up my Husbands will from the court!! Although I had the paper they issued when we registered our wills they wouldn't release it. I had to appoint a "solicitor" and yes it cost me around £3000. That was 5 years ago.

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

That is crazy. Anybody any ideas how to avoid these ridiculous charges?

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

This may be of use to you: It is a common misconception that all law firms in the TRNC charge a percentage of the value of the Estate for assisting with probate matters and/or acting as the Executor of an estate. However, at Naomi Mehmet & Partners, we charge a fixed fee depending on the complexity of the Estate and not a percentage of the value of the Estate. If you require any further information regarding our fees for drafting of wills and/or assisting with probate matters, please do not hesitate to contact us. +90 (392) 816 0440

Laura B
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Post by Laura B »

Thank you tutor4u.

Having given this a bit of thought I understand entirely why it is done this way. The court has a duty of care to the deceased to ensure their wishes are carried out. I expect most of us have a fairly basic straightforward will but obviously there will be those who do not and their wishes may not be carried out in accordance with their will if those left do not agree with them. With no control over who opens the will anything could, and quite possibly would happen.

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”