General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Curtail the construction tsunami in the KKTC/TRNC

•   Message 1 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

It has become apparent that there seems to be no plans to curtail the tsunami of property construction in the KKTC/TRNC.

I invite allcomers with a love of nature to join this fb group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/633997788635457/) in an effort to garner support for a groundswell of public opinion against the unfettered building of largescale developments that are swallowing vast areas of wildlife habit.

We've got to do something before it's too late!

Oh, and if you don't see that it's any of your concern - where will they get enough electricity from? The supply capacity is already stretched...

TRNCMaths
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Curtail the construction tsunami in the KKTC/TRNC

•   Message 2 of 21 in Discussion

Post by TRNCMaths »

Groucho wrote:
Sat 03 Jun 2023 4:37 am
... against the unfettered building of largescale developments that are swallowing vast areas of wildlife habitat ... and where will they get enough electricity from? The supply capacity is already stretched...
It's certainly a problem Groucho, but what do you suggest? - Maybe the authorities should make it more difficult/expensive for foreigners to get residency here? Maybe imposing more tax on foreigners buying property here? I'm not trying to be flippant, but these "unfettered developments" are catering largely to a demand from outside KKTC.

Hair Cut
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Hair Cut »

With the corruption on this island, you are never going to get it stopped.

House built next to me, confirmed by a chartered surveyor was too big for the plot of land.

Passed via an envelope.

Corruption from the top down...

MVP
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 21 in Discussion

Post by MVP »

People probably said the same when our houses were being built.....

TRNCMaths
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 21 in Discussion

Post by TRNCMaths »

MVP wrote:
Sat 03 Jun 2023 2:02 pm
People probably said the same when our houses were being built...
Yes MVP, In message 2, I didn't want to upset people by saying that, but yes, it's exactly as you say.

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 21 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

What about TCs selling there 'exchange' ,land everywhere around us small agricultural fields now building plots.
I have never seen so many brand new 4×4s ,mercs and bmw,s

TRNCMaths
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 21 in Discussion

Post by TRNCMaths »

13roman58 wrote:
Sat 03 Jun 2023 6:48 pm
What about TCs selling there 'exchange' ,land everywhere around us small agricultural fields now building plots.
Indeed most of the land, along the north coast, pre-74, would have been Greek Cypriot. However, regardless of whether the land is "eşdeğer" or has Turkish Cypriot title deeds, those TC families naturally want to make some money from selling the land they have ... and particularly these days developers are eager to buy their land ... why? because in no small part there is currently an increasing demand from outside KKTC. Believe it or not, the TR of NC, as a place to live, is too popular for its own good at the moment.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 21 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

There is a huge amount of building along the coast road from Esentepe towards Tatlisu. I knew it would happen at some point, but not quite so fast. Unfortunately, some idiots driving on this road have a death wish, and you have to be ultra careful that you are not included.

munchy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 21 in Discussion

Post by munchy »

The decline in the quality of Life for ALL Persons living in the TRNC is quite stark. As well as unrestrained Building Projects, I fear the huge influx of vehicles is leading rapidly to gridlock. Together with the continuous chopping down of trees the result is worsening Air Quality and increasing temperatures, a prospect that should fill everybody with dread. Experts need to come together now to impress the powers that be of the urgency of these problems

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

munchy wrote:
Sun 04 Jun 2023 12:36 am
The decline in the quality of Life for ALL Persons living in the TRNC is quite stark. As well as unrestrained Building Projects, I fear the huge influx of vehicles is leading rapidly to gridlock. Together with the continuous chopping down of trees the result is worsening Air Quality and increasing temperatures, a prospect that should fill everybody with dread. Experts need to come together now to impress the powers that be of the urgency of these problems

Indeed they do munchy, whilst I acknowledge many of the sentiments of others expressed in this thread - I still feel that Turkish Cypriot voters need to impress upon their elected officials that there should be a plan for development that has limits, and that takes account of future generations' need to have wildlife as part of the culture of this island...

I feel sorry for those of you that think the constructors 'raping' the coastline should be left to despoil this land...

Panchocat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Panchocat »

There are a lot of unfinished developments that have been abandoned for some time. Why are these not completed before new developments on virgin land?
Now the new road to Dipkarpaz is open I foresee developments growing up there much like the Tatlisu Esentepe ones. Ever closer to the Karpaz.

Hair Cut
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Hair Cut »

I used to go to Malta on business back in the '70s and this used to happen (Unfinished Shell's).

The Government brought in a new regulation that if a building was not finished within 3 years of it being started it would be demolished.

They kept to the word after people say "they will never do it"

Good old Dom Mintoff

kiplet
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 21 in Discussion

Post by kiplet »

Sadly..with all the will in the world nothing is going to stop the ruination of North Cyprus.
I fully support and admire all of the efforts that could some way help slow down …or miraculously halt this ruination..of the once Bread basket of the beautiful North Cyprus
Far to many buildings being built, some completed with no concept of congestion of town roads, restrictive parking, no further planned infrastructure.etc

So very sad..gone is the magical place I brought into…

Nc2016
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Nc2016 »

From what I understand, also a lot of ‘settlers’ selling off the land particularly in the Tatlisu area. They were given 10 (??) donums per child so that’s a lot of land. This was all farming country so the result was inevitable really.
There’s a development going up near here where one of the private pools is actually encroaching onto the road!

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 21 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

Hair Cut wrote:
Sat 03 Jun 2023 11:47 am
With the corruption on this island, you are never going to get it stopped.

House built next to me, confirmed by a chartered surveyor was too big for the plot of land.

Passed via an envelope.

Corruption from the top down...
Agreed, fighting a losing battle

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Correct, not a hope in hell of stopping construction or changing this corrupt government!

MVP
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 21 in Discussion

Post by MVP »

All sounds a lot like where I live in the UK....

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

Nc2016 wrote:
Tue 06 Jun 2023 10:54 am
From what I understand, also a lot of ‘settlers’ selling off the land particularly in the Tatlisu area. They were given 10 (??) donums per child so that’s a lot of land. This was all farming country so the result was inevitable really.
There’s a development going up near here where one of the private pools is actually encroaching onto the road!
Report it to your mayor, he may not be aware and once informed may feel the need to act. They don't like to shown to not know what's going on.

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Dalartokat »

Nc2016 wrote:
Tue 06 Jun 2023 10:54 am
Well thats interesting because the houses and land that was given to the original settlers was illegal, as what was given to them belonged to the ROC. If they are the children of the settlers selling the land, how did the paperwork get transferred to them as that was deemed illegal as well at the time. Seems another tangled web.
If you ever get tired one day of life, take a rest, lean your back on the stone, not people. Cold but safe...

Nc2016
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 21 in Discussion

Post by Nc2016 »

Report it to your mayor, he may not be aware and once informed may feel the need to act. They don't like to shown to not know what's going on.

Unfortunately Groucho, I think he knows exactly what’s going on. I was told a TC neighbour complained and yet here we are. Anyone who buys that needs their bumps felt!

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 21 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Foreigners in a foreign land.
The ongoing mutilation of the landscape goes on and expats and foreigners cannot halt the march for wealth and greed. Its the state of the modern World.
What concerns me is the financial aspect for funding this tsunami. All the empty shells and current projects require funding and the empty shells are someone's money , loan or mortgage.
tl uncertainty and loan rates must be putting banks into rather tricky positions on loans and investments.
Mr Erdogan seems unable to stem the slide on the lira.
Will this halt the tsunami or will there be some predictable drownings?

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”