- Posts: 525
- Joined: Sat 14 Apr 2012 7:21 am
STICKY AND CRISPY ORANGE CHICKEN
Course Main Course Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 servings or for 2 see ingredients in brackets
• 2 large chicken thighs boneless and skinless (or 1 Chicken breast between 2)
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon ground pepper
• 1/2 cup cornstarch (1/4 cup for 2)
• 1 1/2 cups flour (3/4 cup for 2)
• 1 egg
• 1 tablespoons oil
• 1 ¼ cups water (1/2 cup for 2)
• 3-4 cups oil for frying depending on the size of your pan
• ¼ cup orange juice
• 1 teaspoon orange zest
• 2 tablespoon soy sauce
• ¼ cups rice vinegar or white vinegar
• ½ cup brown sugar (1/4 cup Brown+ ¼ cup white)
• 2 teaspoon minced garlic or 1 large clove
• 2 tablespoons corn starch
• 2 tablespoons water
• 1 tablespoon oil
1. Cut your chicken thighs or chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes.
2. In a medium-large bowl, mix together cornstarch, flour and salt & pepper. Add the egg, oil and water. Whisk until smooth. Add the chicken cubes to the mixture and marinate for 30-60 minutes in the fridge.
3. Heat the oil to 350˚F in a medium-large saucepan. Add the marinated chicken cubes in batches and deep fry them for about 5 minutes until they turn golden brown. Remove and drain oil. Place them on a paper towel lined plate. Cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. NOTE: I cooked them in batches, little under done, last batch served, and returned rest to hot oil to crisp then served remainder.
4. In a small bowl, mix together orange juice, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar and orange zest. Heat a skillet or wok over medium-high heat and add oil. Then add garlic and stir-fry for a few seconds until fragrant. Add in the mixture, stir to combine. Mix the cornstarch and water in a separate bowl, and then add the mixture (slurry) to the pan to thicken the sauce. Stir until mixture is smooth and thick (about 5 minutes). You can pre-cook this and re-heat.
5. Add back the fried chicken and toss to coat completely!
6. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions. Serve and enjoy!