Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Yoghurt making

•   Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

This is for Dippersgirl especially.

I have a great fondness for creamy thick yoghurt, and best I have found here is Musanin, but still a bit tart for my liking at times. So, been making my own for a while now, using Musanin as a starter. Other makes might work, but haven't tried them.

Heat 1 litre of full fat milk slowly ( I just use the Koop carton) until it is is just a tad too hot for your knuckle to bear, but don't bring to boiling point. If you can put your knuckle in for a few seconds, then it will be fine to add 2 heaped tblsp of starter yoghurt (Musanin in my case). Whisk and then put in a food flask, and leave overnight and then put in fridge to set.

I then like to strain it, to make a thicker yoghurt, using a sieve with a cheesecloth over a bowl, and leave in the fridge.

I don't think it is much cheaper than buying yoghurt, as after straining, there is about 1/2 litre, but for a creamier yoghurt, it's well worth it, and not too much effort.

As for the left over whey. I use it in bread making instead of water, and my dog loves it too, been using that instead of water when mixing up dried and tinned food. Better just trying a wee bit first though, to see if your dog likes it.
Am sure it would do fine in other baking recipes. Probably ok for cats, but I haven't checked, not having any, so better check first.

There are other ways of keeping the yogurt warm, rather than a food flask. Supposedly my oven does this, but I haven't tried yet, also slow cooker method. Plus in the winter, I wrap a tea towel round, just to keep the food flask cosy, as my kitchen can be rather cold.

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Yoghurt making

•   Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

Thank you A-M, I used a starter the neighbour gave me but it's a bit sharp, will go for the Musanin next. I also use the liquid for bread, especially soda bread. Haven't tried iit on the cats, some of them do like yoghurt!!

Medjoul1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Medjoul1 »

Thanks am

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

I tried once too with a friend's local yoghurt, and it was pretty sharp to say the least. I keep meaning to add a carton of cream to the milk to see if I can get it creamier, but have never remembered so far, or been out of cream.
I forgot to say in my original post that it's important to heat the milk slowly. If you heat it too quickly you can get a grainy yoghurt.
Hope your cat likes the whey DG.

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

Grainy yoghurt, yes had that, didn't realise why, now I know!!! Thanks

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

Just made another batch of yoghurt with Musanin starter, we will see tomorrow!!!

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Fingers crossed that it turns out nice and creamy for you Dippersgirl. I've frozen some 2 tbsp measures of the Musanin, as supposedly this should work, but not tried it yet. Will let you know how it goes when I get round to using it.

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

We'll see tomorrow!!!

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

alphamike wrote:
Sun 09 Aug 2020 12:51 pm
I tried once too with a friend's local yoghurt, and it was pretty sharp to say the least. I keep meaning to add a carton of cream to the milk to see if I can get it creamier, but have never remembered so far, or been out of cream.
I forgot to say in my original post that it's important to heat the milk slowly. If you heat it too quickly you can get a grainy yoghurt.
Hope your cat likes the whey DG.
I seem to remember reading an article saying that nearly all cats are lactose intolerant...

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

I think that you are right Groucho. Being allergic to the things, I steer well clear. I think dogs can be too, although mine seems to be fine. Only way I can get tablets down her is to stick it into a small ball of soft cheese. I just can't bring myself to do the vet thing of sticking it right in at the back of the mouth.

dippersgirl
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Post by dippersgirl »

In England our cats did not get milk or other dairy product, well...very rarely, but here we started with various strays and we felt...milk - better than nothing. We have 6 cats and they are spoilt and get whatever they fancy and none of them are the worse for it.
They did not fancy the 'whey' from the yoghurt!!!!!!!!!!!
And by the way - it turned out great - our milk is sheep milk and so is the Musanin starter!

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Happy to hear that your yoghurt turned out well.

Cats are such fussy creatures, so not surprised that the whey was avoided. I've got an over-abundance of whey just now, as going through so much yoghurt and fruit, and not going making so much bread, so suspect it will be going down the sink....am sure it will be good bacteria for the soakaway!

Apparently you can make yoghurt from the whey, but not tried that....maybe one of these days will give it a bash, and produce even more whey!

Return to “RECIPES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”