Euros 2021

Topics placed in this category cannot be seen in Active Topics.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Walesforever
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Euros 2021

•   Message 1 of 286 in Discussion

Post by Walesforever »

Good luck to all British sides.

Fingers crossed Christian Ericsson makes a speedy recovery after the sad images earlier. None of us know what’s around the corner.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Euros 2021

•   Message 2 of 286 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Yes indeed,
Wales did well to get the draw.

I hope they are able to raise the game going forward.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 286 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

That was horrific. Cannot believe they carried on afterwards. Pleased the news sounds promising regarding his recovery.

Walesforever
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 286 in Discussion

Post by Walesforever »

Very happy with a draw against a very strong Swiss side.

Genuinely shocked by the Danish match going ahead after those really disturbing scenes. Just glad he’s ok

Walesforever
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 286 in Discussion

Post by Walesforever »

I thought England did a solid ( unspectacular) job against Croatia. Job done move on to next game with 3 points in the bag.

Ahhh Scotland are now really up against it. Playing at home against the Czechs I felt this was the game they needed something from. Maybe England can do the Jocks a favour on Friday ?

jackvern
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 286 in Discussion

Post by jackvern »

The best team I have seen so far is Holland. So in control of the ball. Fluid football as opposed to England who do not seem inventive. They seem to play more football in their own half and rush everything. Early days I know but a lot to look forward to.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 286 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

jackvern wrote:
Tue 15 Jun 2021 4:07 pm
The best team I have seen so far is Holland. So in control of the ball. Fluid football as opposed to England who do not seem inventive. They seem to play more football in their own half and rush everything. Early days I know but a lot to look forward to.
Very early days but they looked good.
Thing is you would've put your mortgage on them in 2014 when they hammered Spain 5-1 but Holland can put England and Scotland to shame in a contest to find ways to cock up in a tournament.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 8 of 286 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Slightly off topic but the very best Holland team was the one that lost the World Cup final in 1974.

It really was pure total football and made me realise what great skill they had. Yes they list the final but there football was so easy on the eye. Cruyff was brilliant.

In this tournament they certainly have been the best so far, closely followed by Italy.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 286 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Tue 15 Jun 2021 5:29 pm
Slightly off topic but the very best Holland team was the one that lost the World Cup final in 1974.

It really was pure total football and made me realise what great skill they had. Yes they list the final but there football was so easy on the eye. Cruyff was brilliant.
Wonderful side and one of my favourites.
As well as being fantastic players they were a tough team as well and couldn’t be kicked out of a game.
Funny thing with the Dutch is every 10 years or so they produce a great side, 1988, 1998, 2008 so England could learn a lot from them

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 286 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Congratulations to Wales, fantastic result in Turkey. Was a bit nervous for them after the missed penalty but I think they owed Bale a ricket

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 11 of 286 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Wed 16 Jun 2021 7:14 pm
Fantastic result in Turkey.
Yes, playing in Baku would certainly have felt like they were playing in Turkey.

Walesforever
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 286 in Discussion

Post by Walesforever »

34000 Turks and 400 hardy Welsh who know they have no chance of travelling to Rome due to Italian restrictions regarding Azabazian.
Fantastic performance against a partisan “home” crowd.

I must admit to thinking we may have blown it after that penalty miss but cumith the hour …. Now roll on Friday night.

Walesforever
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 286 in Discussion

Post by Walesforever »

Not much to say after that dreadful match last night

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 286 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Walesforever wrote:
Sat 19 Jun 2021 5:16 pm
Not much to say after that dreadful match last night
It was painful.
Kane looks tired.
Still gives Scotland a chance if they can beat Croatia. We can look forward to them somehow clutch a glorious defeat from the jaws of victory if they run to their usual form in tournaments

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 286 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Tue 15 Jun 2021 8:35 pm
PoshinDevon wrote:

As well as being fantastic players they were a tough team as well and couldn’t be kicked out of a game.
Funny thing with the Dutch is every 10 years or so they produce a great side, 1988, 1998, 2008 so England could learn a lot from them

When playing for England and supporting England actually meant something

https://youtu.be/9nApkco-UUo

In these days of kneeling down it means nothing.

Walesforever
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 286 in Discussion

Post by Walesforever »

Hedge-fund wrote:
Sat 19 Jun 2021 10:28 pm
EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Tue 15 Jun 2021 8:35 pm
PoshinDevon wrote:

When playing for England and supporting England actually meant something

https://youtu.be/9nApkco-UUo

Couldn’t agree more

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 286 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Even though I don't know too much about the game, I can still remember when I was proud to watch them on TV, but now I've got to the stage when I don't care one way or another. I tend to support the country where I've had great holidays i.e. Croatia, Spain, Portugal, Germany etc.

AFC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 286 in Discussion

Post by AFC »

f65e0f7f-494d-445f-a79b-658407806eb6.jpg

AFC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 286 in Discussion

Post by AFC »

[/quote]
[/quote]

How dare these non white's protest at not having equal rights! All started with that mandella bloke, now if South Africa had capital punishment none of this would have happened. Could have kept Rhodesia too...

You'd think living abroad people would become more tolerant to other cultures and actually have a better understanding of why the knee is taken.

AFC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 286 in Discussion

Post by AFC »

benjaminbutton wrote:
Sun 20 Jun 2021 10:14 am
Even though I don't know too much about the game, I can still remember when I was proud to watch them on TV, but now I've got to the stage when I don't care one way or another. I tend to support the country where I've had great holidays i.e. Croatia, Spain, Portugal, Germany etc.

We do have a great squad, good enough to play attractive football, to have beaten Scotland by four or five and to be a force in the Euro's.

However having an inexperienced manager is showing as I assumed it would. While Southgate done an ok job with the under 21's, he has no real experience of managing at the top level, having never managed at the top level in club football.

Coming up against top coaches in the later stages, England will get always be outclassed by coaches with more experience.

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 286 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

AFC wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 8:15 am
[/quote]

How dare these non white's protest at not having equal rights! All started with that mandella bloke, now if South Africa had capital punishment none of this would have happened. Could have kept Rhodesia too...

You'd think living abroad people would become more tolerant to other cultures and actually have a better understanding of why the knee is taken.
[/quote]

Equal rights in the UK is the law. If anyone breaks it they can be prosecuted.

Kneeling down for a marxist divisive political movement whose stated intentions are to defund the police and smash capitalism.......is probably not the best way for overpriviledged overpaid prima-donnas to endear themselves to the supporters.

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 286 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

Hedge-fund wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 8:42 am
AFC wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 8:15 am

[/quote]

Equal rights in the UK is the law. If anyone breaks it they can be prosecuted.

Kneeling down for a marxist divisive political movement whose stated intentions are to defund the police and smash capitalism.......is probably not the best way for overpriviledged overpaid prima-donnas to endear themselves to the supporters.
[/quote]

:+1:)

I don’t believe many of us mind a display against racism but this is not such a display, it is a support of the BLM movement.

AFC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 286 in Discussion

Post by AFC »

So by kneeling you truly believe England players are showing support for the establishment of a worker’s state, as advocated by Gareth Southgate’s Marxist agenda lol, and fans are in favour of Friedman, Apartheid, Colonialism?

If you’re booing people taking the knee, you are the problem, you are one of the reasons they’re actually taking the knee.
The Marxist excuses are pathetic and transparent, fabricated to express your intolerance of anti-racism.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 286 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

AFC wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 9:42 am

If you’re booing people taking the knee, you are the problem, you are one of the reasons they’re actually taking the knee.
The Marxist excuses are pathetic and transparent, fabricated to express your intolerance of anti-racism.
So if you weren't in favour of The Berlin Wall you were a fascist?

I'm so in favour of anti-racism that I'd like young black man have as good a chance of getting home without being stabbed in London as everyone else. BLM don't seem to be bothered about the epidemic of young black men being murdered by other young black men they seem only interested in highlighting a tiny minority of cases where black men are killed by the police.

I'm so favour of anti-racism that I'd like the black community to feel like the police force is their police force by bring both parties together. The BLM are only interested in driving a wedge between the police and the black community.

I'm so in favour of anti-racism that I can see that capitalism is the black people's best route to improvement as it is all other people. The BLM believe in ending capitalism.

I'm so in favour of anti-racism that I despise ghettos and think the only progress different ethnicities will make getting on is by living together. The BLM seem to favour segregation.

The BLM are just the latest of a series of race hucksters who try to earn a living out of exploiting their own people. If you support them then you are obviously support Louis Farrakhan.

Out of totally unconnected interest what are your views on Capitalism? :)

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 286 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

AFC wrote:
So by kneeling you truly believe England players are showing support for the establishment of a worker’s state, as advocated by Gareth Southgate’s Marxist agenda lol, and fans are in favour of Friedman, Apartheid, Colonialism?

This is the reason there is no room for politics in sport.

I'm the problem and intolerant of anti-racism?

I love the 'tolerant' lefties spouting vile insults when people don't share their views.

Walesforever
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 286 in Discussion

Post by Walesforever »

Hedge-fund wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 3:27 pm
AFC wrote:

This is the reason there is no room for politics in sport.

I'm the problem and intolerant of anti-racism?

I love the 'tolerant' lefties spouting vile insults when people don't share their views.

Spot on

Walesforever
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 286 in Discussion

Post by Walesforever »

Anyway back on subject. The first British team are through to last 16.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 286 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Sounds like it’s all kicking off with the COVID. Gilmour positive, Robertson and McGinn rumoured to be positive too. Mount and chillwell having to isolate as a result.

Not that either team stand a chance. Italians, Dutch, Germans all look far superior.

Oh well, i guess it’s not coming home yet again.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 286 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Walesforever wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 6:07 pm
Anyway back on subject. The first British team are through to last 16.
Congratulations to Wales. Even if they would have got a draw against Italy they would still have been runners up in the group

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 286 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Trigger wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 6:35 pm

Not that either team stand a chance. Italians, Dutch, Germans all look far superior.
My money is still on the French. A lot depends on the knockout draw, you only have so many hard games in the tank

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 286 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Hedge-fund wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 3:27 pm

Or their truth.

The problem with the overuse of the words racist and fascist is they end up losing their force.

Personally I have no time for either fascism or communism because I believe in freedom and people not being murdered in their millions.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 286 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 6:53 pm
Trigger wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 6:35 pm

My money is still on the French. A lot depends on the knockout draw, you only have so many hard games in the tank
You wouldn’t write them off but even against the Germans in the first round, they looked beatable. To be fair, it’s a pretty open tournament. Add to that a bit of COVID and who knows what will happen.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 286 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Trigger wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 7:03 pm

You wouldn’t write them off but even against the Germans in the first round, they looked beatable. To be fair, it’s a pretty open tournament. Add to that a bit of COVID and who knows what will happen.
The Germans could put out 11 wheely bins and put up a good show. They made the WC final in 82,86 and 2002 with pretty crap sides
I remember the days when England were a bit like that even if we were playing a superior side we still took a world of beating.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 286 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 7:24 pm
Trigger wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 7:03 pm

I remember the days when England were a bit like that even if we were playing a superior side we still took a world of beating.
Not sure of your age so not sure if you are referring to the 60’s or the 90’s?

I was brought up on stories of the busby babes. My old man swears England would have won the World Cup before 66 if it wasn’t for the Munich air disaster. My first memories of a World Cup was 86 and the hand of god and then that second goal (just wow). Italia 90 we took some beating.

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 35 of 286 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 6:57 pm
The problem with the overuse of the words racist and fascist is they end up losing their force
For the record, AFC did not use either of those words ... the "r" was actually introduced onto this thread by Brazen. And by the way, it was unfortunately Hedge-fund who initially introduced politics onto this Euros thread ... AFC merely replied in a very civil way.
Hedgefund wrote:I love the 'tolerant' lefties spouting vile insults when people don't share their views.
I didn't see anything "vile" in what AFC wrote. However, using the word "vile" certainly precluded any further meaningful debate on the matter.

And getting back, as we should do, to the subject of the thread, ie the Euros - I was listening to the post-match analysis of the Holland-North Macedonia match on TRT1 ... and one of the Turkish guys half-jokingly commented in Turkish that "at least now there's another team that has almost as bad a record as Turkey" ... in any case, it made me laugh.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 286 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Trigger wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 7:33 pm

I’m thinking of the 70s more but bless you for thinking the 90s might be my first memories.

1970 we gave the Brazilians a hell of a game and they were for me the best side ever. We went out to a very good German side when our substitute keeper threw the ball in the net after Banks got ill.
1972 the best ever German side admittedly played us off the park at Wembley but we had got ourselves back in the game with about 5 minutes to go and were drawing the game.
1973 we absolutely battered Poland and only got a
1-1 draw when 7-1 wouldn’t have flattered us against a side who came third in the World Cup and were unlucky not to make the final.

In 1976 we didn’t qualify going out to the Czechs who we beat 3-0 at home and had we got a draw in Czechoslovakia instead of losing 2-1 we would’ve put them out. They went on to win the tournament.
For the 78 World Cup we missed out qualifying to Italy who for me were a better side than when they won it in 82. They beat the eventual winners Argentina.

So the 70s were extremely disappointing and are looked back as a total failure for England but only very very good sides beat us and only narrowly.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 37 of 286 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Trigger wrote:

I was brought up on stories of the busby babes. My old man swears England would have won the World Cup before 66 if it wasn’t for the Munich air disaster.
As was I.
Might be an overreach as Pelé, Garrincha and those Brazilians were pretty good tbf.
Interestingly Duncan Edwards would’ve still been in his 20s on that glorious day in 1966!

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 38 of 286 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

iancrumpy wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 8:10 pm

For the record, AFC did not use either of those words ... the "r" was actually introduced onto this thread by Brazen. And by the way, it was unfortunately Hedge-fund who initially introduced politics onto this Euros thread ... AFC merely replied in a very civil way.
I think when you infer that someone is against the taking the knee because you are against anti-racism you are inferring that they are racist.
But there is a thread that this is already covered in so we should keep this one for the actual football

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 39 of 286 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 9:23 pm
iancrumpy wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 8:10 pm

I think when you infer that someone is against the taking the knee because you are against anti-racism you are inferring that they are racist.
But there is a thread that this is already covered in so we should keep this one for the actual football
Yep I'm not bothered mate.

When the kneeling down first started (and was booed) I, as a fans' rep, arranged a meeting with my (championship) club and explained why kneeling to a racist organisation whilst wearing your team's colours would cause a problem.

The team stopped it at the next game and haven't done it since.

Racism has no place in modern Britain.

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 40 of 286 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

Hedge-fund wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 9:31 pm
It would be appreciated though if you could refrain from using the word "vile" in future threads. As pupils are told in any debate club, being rude to other posters does not win the debate.

In any case, I'm glad Denmark are going through.

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 41 of 286 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

iancrumpy wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 9:53 pm
Hedge-fund wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 9:31 pm
It would be appreciated though if you could refrain from using the word "vile" in future threads. As pupils are told in any debate club, being rude to other posters does not win the debate.

If someone insinuates I am a racist I am entitled to call that insinuation vile.

Is being called racist better or worse than being called vile?
Last edited by Hedge-fund on Mon 21 Jun 2021 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 42 of 286 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 43 of 286 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

So, following this evening's results, England are through. Here's hoping though that this doesn't make them even more lethargic against the Czechs!

I have just checked ... and finishing second might actually be better for England, because they'd get the 2nd-placed team in a relatively weak group E ... I really hope England don't just play then for a draw :(

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 44 of 286 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

iancrumpy wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 10:00 pm
Yes I’m delighted for them. It sounds like they were forced to restart the game against Finland by UEFA which was disgraceful so I’m glad they found a way to turn it around.

Walesforever
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 45 of 286 in Discussion

Post by Walesforever »

Yep from a purely selfish point of view I hope the Danes don’t progress any further though.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 46 of 286 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 8:51 pm
Trigger wrote:

I’m thinking of the 70s more but bless you for thinking the 90s might be my first memories.

1970 we gave the Brazilians a hell of a game and they were for me the best side ever. We went out to a very good German side when our substitute keeper threw the ball in the net after Banks got ill.
1972 the best ever German side admittedly played us off the park at Wembley but we had got ourselves back in the game with about 5 minutes to go and were drawing the game.
1973 we absolutely battered Poland and only got a
1-1 draw when 7-1 wouldn’t have flattered us against a side who came third in the World Cup and were unlucky not to make the final.

In 1976 we didn’t qualify going out to the Czechs who we beat 3-0 at home and had we got a draw in Czechoslovakia instead of losing 2-1 we would’ve put them out. They went on to win the tournament.
For the 78 World Cup we missed out qualifying to Italy who for me were a better side than when they won it in 82. They beat the eventual winners Argentina.

So the 70s were extremely disappointing and are looked back as a total failure for England but only very very good sides beat us and only narrowly.
Ah right. That time after winning the World Cup when you would have thought we would have progressed. I guess that must be around the time when the Brazilians started to play a bit.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 47 of 286 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Walesforever wrote:
Tue 22 Jun 2021 4:21 am
Yep from a purely selfish point of view I hope the Danes don’t progress any further though.
They’re beatable and you can’t draw Northern Ireland in the last 16 every time!
Beat Denmark and its likely to be Holland who have a great record of shooting themselves in the foot in tournaments with better sides than this one.
The 2016 Belgiums were a stronger side than the 2021 Dutch imo so the semis aren’t an impossibility assuming Ramsey and Bale are in form and you don’t lose any of your first 11 to injury or suspensions.

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 48 of 286 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

I managed to watch the England game in a bar and almost made it home by midnight but my car turned into a pumpkin.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 49 of 286 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Hedge-fund wrote:
Tue 22 Jun 2021 10:56 pm
I managed to watch the England game in a bar and almost made it home by midnight but my car turned into a pumpkin.
Another awful game but at least we're still in the hat

Walesforever
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 50 of 286 in Discussion

Post by Walesforever »

Into the next round and another home game at Wembley.

Return to “KEYBOARD WARS & OFF TOPIC THREADS”