I am confused - need help

Find out about the laws within the TRNC: Residency, Home Ownership, Work Permits, Visa's, Licenses, Speeding...etc.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

sylvie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

I am confused - need help

•   Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Post by sylvie »

Maybe someone here can help me. I want to move with my husband to northern cyprus very soon and I am confused about the residency because I hear so many different things. My husband is over 70 and I am over 60 and I heard that we dont need anymore a residency. Also I heard we need. Maybe someone know the right answer? Do we still need as a retired couple a residency or not? And how is the procedure? Any help is very welcome. Thanks in advance

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: I am confused - need help

•   Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

sylvie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

Post by sylvie »

Thanks, it helps a bit....

So it does mean I do not have to make an initial application for residency when I am aged over 60?

brian24001
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

Post by brian24001 »

sylvie wrote:Thanks, it helps a bit....

So it does mean I do not have to make an initial application for residency when I am aged over 60?
I wouldn't if I was you, once you are in the system it's a bit like joining the Moonies.
The wife keeps complaining I never listen to a word she says ............. or something like that.

SunnyParkers
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

Post by SunnyParkers »

Sylvia, whilst with the 'gentlemen's agreement' for over 60's you do not currently require residency if staying over 90 days, if you wish to drive in TRNC, you will need a Turkish driving licence after 90 days. It is a very simple process, but you will need residency in order to get the initial driving licence.

sylvie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

Post by sylvie »

Thanks for all these answers. But maybe i am now more confused than before

Is this agreement, that residents over 60 dont need anymore apply for residency only valid for British People? Or is it general for all Europeans? We are not British... (maybe i should have write that before?)

tingtang
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

Post by tingtang »

Re Msg No2.

That link appears to be out of date.

Does anyone have an updated link?

TIA.

tt.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

Heaven
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Heaven »

It is my understanding that no matter what age you will need to have the initial immigration residency. They will send you for blood test and x ray. However, because of your age you will not have to do it again if you choose not to. My husband and I still do it every year, our choice.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

Heaven wrote:It is my understanding that no matter what age you will need to have the initial immigration residency. They will send you for blood test and x ray. However, because of your age you will not have to do it again if you choose not to. My husband and I still do it every year, our choice.
Agreed. Whatever your age, you must register for an initial application if you intend to stay beyond your 90 days visa. Be aware though, whilst expats call it 'residency', your passport stamp from Immigration will show you as 'Visitor'. Good luck/Iyi Şanslar!

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

The following paragraphs from the BRS page need you to read between the lines...

" This concession for the over 60’s is not legally binding. Therefore a TRNC government can cancel this arrangement at any time.

· Anyone seeking permanent residency must, currently, have five consecutive annual residency stamps in their passport. Anyone choosing not to renew will not obtain a residency stamp and this may make them ineligible to obtain permanent residency."

This cosy arrangement for over 60's is not enshrined in law and as such is untested in a court of law. So it's a matter for anyone non-Cypriot to determine if they are willing to be the guinea pig... Personally the residency process for over 60's is now so simple and relatively cheap that I den't feel it is necessary to take the risk albeit a small risk. As once you've done the first one you can apply for two years and then once you've done 5 years you can get permanent residency and be in full compliance with the law (such as it is).

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

As once you've done the first one you can apply for two years and then once you've done 5 years you can get permanent residency and be in full compliance with the law (such as it is).[/quote]

Does anybody know how many 'Permanent Residency' visas have been issued in the last 8 years or so to the UK expats, please? If not, is there a contact somebody knows who I can ask? Thank you.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

tomsteel wrote:As once you've done the first one you can apply for two years and then once you've done 5 years you can get permanent residency and be in full compliance with the law (such as it is).
Does anybody know how many 'Permanent Residency' visas have been issued in the last 8 years or so to the UK expats, please? If not, is there a contact somebody knows who I can ask? Thank you.[/quote]

Tom,

I think the more relevant statistic would be the number who've been refused upon application... As once you've got 5 years in and not blotted your copybook I think it's meant to be a matter of applying paying the sum and getting it... No rights other than residence - but I wonder how many people have bothered to apply... The Cyprus rumour mill will have been working overtime but I don't think there should be any problem - after all they want your money and it's all up front.

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

Is permanent residency the same as the white kimlik?

Return to “LAW - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”