Good Lawyer!

Find out about the laws within the TRNC: Residency, Home Ownership, Work Permits, Visa's, Licenses, Speeding...etc.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

eyebob94
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Good Lawyer!

•   Message 1 of 42 in Discussion

Post by eyebob94 »

I know it`s a long shot, but does anyone know of a good lawyer, experienced in property matters? We have used several in the past but have always been disappointed.

CatalkoyChris
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Good Lawyer!

•   Message 2 of 42 in Discussion

Post by CatalkoyChris »

naiomi mehmet
"Two heads are better than one!" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 42 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

Whoever is recommended, research and question. The best advice I was given was use an advocate from a different area from where you purchase. If only I'd had that advice earlier!

Ailsa
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Ailsa »

Mine Konat.

cyprusishome
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 42 in Discussion

Post by cyprusishome »

Does not matter who you recommend someone will come up with a negative.

I know several people who would not give the time of day let alone legal work to Naomi Mehmet for example.

Agobard
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Agobard »

'Good" and' Lawyer' are two words which would not normally appear in the same sentence here! I suspect that most of them are probably just about OK so long as there are no complications.

johnny1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 42 in Discussion

Post by johnny1 »

This is probably the worst thing you could ask for...for someone to recomend a lawyer.
Every person that gave me a lawyer they recomended was a great disapointment.
ANd i even lost trust in those people that recomended me them!
Best you do your own research and at least you can only blame yourself if things dont go right.
Believe me,you will be more satisfied with the one lawyer that you find than a lawyer that has been recomended.

terry2366
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 42 in Discussion

Post by terry2366 »

I think you will find Naomi Mehmet has not qualified as a lawyer.

nergis

•   Message 9 of 42 in Discussion

Post by nergis »

Ergin Ulunay, Lefkoşa. He is one of the very few that everybody, and I mean everybody, has nothing but good to say about.
Make an appointment, and let him give you his advise. He is not easy, his is, perhaps, expensive. On the other hand I think, worth the money.He won my case about a property. Phone 0392 2272386

Hammerhead
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Hammerhead »

Ailsa wrote:Mine Konat.
I would not recommend mine konat we lost a fortune through her negligence

Becker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Becker »

Agree with you Michelle,cost us too through the same negligence. Naomi Mehmet dealt with various things for my grandson & his partner & was absolutely first class!

MoBry
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 42 in Discussion

Post by MoBry »

We bought our apartment with Naomi Mehmet's assistance and she was helpful and very efficient. Would highly recommend her.
Do your best to grow old disgracefully.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 42 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

sadly there is no such thing....although we had a good experience with Evrim Eminaga. she managed our purchase and we got the Kocan...yay!!

DenizIsmail
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 42 in Discussion

Post by DenizIsmail »

Niaomi Mehmet absolutely! Bought our villa in Alagadi last year and she was fantastic first class service

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

I think its important to remember that the advocates here work for themselves and not their client. They are not qualified lawyers as in the UK. They do not owe their clients any duty of care nor do they have indemnity insurance if they get it wrong. You really need to know exactly what questions to ask, as you cannot rely on them to advise you fully. If they fail to tell you some important information or warn you of pitfalls or something that must or should be checked (especially in conveyancing i.e.mortgages on land) and things go wrong, when you ask why they didn't warn or tell you, their response will be that you didn't ask!

There is no sanction against an advocate even though they claim there is a complaints system and I doubt you would find an advocate willing to sue another. They charge it seems to me, based on what they think the client can (ill) afford and of course the longer a case goes on the better for them.

Unfortunately the legal system has not kept up with modern practices and laws that you would hope for and it seems to me that it is almost a make it up as you go along as no one really knows exactly what the law is (if there actually is one) in a lot of cases. Unfortunately the local custom is based on who you are and who you know rather than one who is legally right.

Not that I'm cynical at all! I am more than willing (hoping would be a better word) to be told that I'm wrong.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 42 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

I reckon Hector summed the situation correctly. We've had 5 'advocates' for a simple property conveyance over eight years - kocan, no!

Fergie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Fergie »

I also agree with Michelle

dani
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 42 in Discussion

Post by dani »

Naomi Mehmet. We have used this firm from 2008 for buying and selling a house, purchasing a piece of land and drawing up our Wills. We deal mainly with one of her Legal Advisors who has English as his first language. No hesitation in recommending them.

StevieWonder
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 42 in Discussion

Post by StevieWonder »

Don't bother with Mine Konat. She screwed up with a purchase contract whereby we lost a lot of money to the builder and she would
not litigate the builder as he was related to somebody she knew. Be careful, its a minefield, no pun intended.

Hammerhead
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Hammerhead »

Mini konat lost us a fortune and could not give a toss but hey ho what goes around and all that eh,heres hoplng

Hammerhead
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Hammerhead »

We now have a good lawyer who has her clients interest at heart and has insurance

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 42 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

michelle wrote:We now have a good lawyer who has her clients interest at heart and has insurance
please share lets give our business to the good lawyers

MAD-TAFF

•   Message 23 of 42 in Discussion

Post by MAD-TAFF »

Found Naomi Mehmet to be very good

Hammerhead
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Hammerhead »

kerry 6138 wrote:
michelle wrote:We now have a good lawyer who has her clients interest at heart and has insurance
Ayhan sener in karakum (sener law) very good

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 42 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

michelle wrote:
kerry 6138 wrote:
Ayhan sener in karakum (sener law) very good
Thanks Michelle

TB10pilot
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 42 in Discussion

Post by TB10pilot »

There are a few golden rules to follow. Never use a lawyer who is also acting for the seller or even the estate agent who is in charge of the sale. Choose a lawyer away from the area, i.e. Lefkosia if the property is in Girne or Girne area. They can all be in each others' pockets!!! Choose a lawyer who has the expertise that you require and will work for you and not someone else! We use Mert Guglu for property issues. He is in Lefkosia. Email: [email protected]
Good luck!

£eagle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 42 in Discussion

Post by £eagle »

Many Cypriots use a Notar for standard transactions as they are so straightforward. Cost can be a few hundred lira.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 28 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

£eagle wrote:Many Cypriots use a Notar for standard transactions as they are so straightforward. Cost can be a few hundred lira.
Not straightforward if you don't know the procedures & possible scams, and there isn't anyone that you can trust...

tr123
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 42 in Discussion

Post by tr123 »

wouldn't trust any as far as i could throw one!! lost all hope when we went to one opposite girne courts. he took my dads money, apparently got bribed by the defendent, bought himself a restaurant n fxxked off. then another one next door, took the case, and he's stil taking the pixx. It killed my mum after 3 years of fighting and heartbroken, and my dad has had enough. Justice wasn't done. Sorry, but i think they get their qualifiactions off the back of a cornflakes box. just hope people don't get done over like we did.

d1cxx
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 42 in Discussion

Post by d1cxx »

Peyman Erginal, opposite Girne court house. she is a quality lawyer, checks everything thoroughly, and her English secretary/assistant ( Maureen) says it how it is, and keeps you on your toes, and updated with any progress. We received notification that our Title deeds (Kocan) were completed about 3 weeks ago. A job well done.

PapaBravo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 42 in Discussion

Post by PapaBravo »

Naomi Mehmet did a good job for us when we purchased, but there were no problems!

lavender
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 42 in Discussion

Post by lavender »

Any of the Advocates mentioned can do the job if the seller/builder adheres to the contract and you have an honest builder. The problem is that TRNC contracts do not appear to be legally binding. If the builder decides to take out a mortgage, prior or during the purchasing process or refuses to give over the deeds, then you will see how totally ineffective even the recommended ones are! Do not use one recommended by the Estate Agent and go outside the area. Adhere to the no deeds, no money agreement and put this in writing to your chosen Advocate. If you are the sort of person whose life would be shattered if you lost your money then you should reconsider buying somewhere that has such a bad reputation for corruption in the housing industry and that is somewhat lawless.

Hammerhead
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Hammerhead »

Ailsa wrote:Mine Konat.
DON'T

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 34 of 42 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

There are many different recommendations or non recommendations on this thread and it’s all down to personal experience.

Those that feel their legal representative failed them are rightly very upset especially if they have lost large sums of money. Others have had an ok or good experience.

Our advocate was recommended to us and as far as our purchase was concerned it went well and in due course we received our Kocan. We also used the same advocate to draw up our TRNC will, but appreciate that for both property purchase and drawing up of wills it is not essential to use an advocate.

Looking back on the above we were probably fortunate that our purchase was straightforward, with no real complications. However; if we have to seek legal representation for a more complicated matter then I don’t think we would use the same advocate. There are a couple mentioned on this topic which we would likely turn to instead.

Think the BRS may have a list of advocates but don’t think they would come out and strongly recommend one to use. It is a bit of jungle out there but I do believe that the purchaser should thoroughly as far as possible investigate the status of the property before engaging an advocate and proceeding. By this I mean have all bills/taxes been paid, services connected, Kocan in owners name and ready for transfer etc. We also stipulated in writing exactly what we wanted our advocate to confirm at each stage before we would commit to purchase. We made it clear to our advocate that if we were not happy we would walk away. Whilst it may seem like your dream home, always be prepared to look elsewhere - plenty of properties out there.

Exercise extreme caution.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Funda Kusadali she is uk trained and excellent. She has done work for me and friends. Never works for both parties. 0542 856 1109

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 42 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

Do not use the Conveyancing Company based in Karakum!!

Hammerhead
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 37 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Hammerhead »

ozankoys wrote:Do not use the Conveyancing Company based in Karakum!!
Do you mean sener law?

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 38 of 42 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

There is no such company in Karakum I have sent you an email.

Hammerhead
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 39 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Hammerhead »

ozankoys wrote:There is no such company in Karakum I have sent you an email.
Yes we use them in karakum

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 40 of 42 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

It seems my email did not send correctly I think you will find that they have changed their name as the qualified lawyer Mustafa Sener is no longer there.
Can you PM me your email address please?

jazzdolly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 41 of 42 in Discussion

Post by jazzdolly »

Tulin celiker trained in the UK and is professional and honest.
She is not a member of our family!!
After the Buyuk Anadolu hotel on the left. (Driving from Girne Elektrokur roundabout up to Lefkosa roundabout.
Her offices are shared with another female lawyer.

I know there are dodgy lawyers here. But she is most definitely NOT one of them. Go and visit her. See for yourself.
She speaks english very well.

0533 860 9769

emineo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 42 of 42 in Discussion

Post by emineo »

Şahap Tokatlı he is very good and well educated! He speaks perfectly English as well. 05338603070

Return to “LAW - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”