Add or find out about recipes posted by Kibkom members,

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Pickling

•   Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

Which vinegar do people use here for pickling here in NC?

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Pickling

•   Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

Mimi2 wrote:Which vinegar do people use here for pickling here in NC?
I use both Malt and Apple vinegar (Elma) but more often than not the apple one.... gives a very nice fresh taste to my pickles and it's cheaper!

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

Thanks will have a look for it

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Groucho, perhaps you could tell me how to keep red cabbage red when pickling it. Have tried in the past but it looses its colour.

kathsj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Post by kathsj »

Pickled Red Cabbage
1kg (2¼lb) red cabbage, finely sliced
2 red onions, peeled and finely sliced
4tbsp salt
2 x 568ml bottles distilled malt vinegar
1 cinnamon stick, lightly crushed
1tbsp cloves, lightly crushed
1tbsp coriander seeds
6 level tbsp granulated sugar
You'll also need:
Sterilised jars with vinegar-proof lids
Method
Place the finely sliced red cabbage and onion in a bowl and sprinkle over the salt. Mix well. Loosely cover the bowl and leave the vegetables overnight.
Pour the vinegar into a pan, add the spices, and bring to the boil. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the granulated sugar. Leave the mixture to cool.
Wash the cabbage and onion in a colander under running cold water to rinse off salt. Drain well and pat dry with kitchen paper.
Pack the vegetables into cold, sterilised jars, pressing down well. Pour over vinegar, ensuring that each jar has some of the spices and that the vegetables are totally covered with vinegar.
Seal the jars with vinegar-proof lids, label and store in a cool, dark place for at least 2 weeks before using. It will keep for up to 3 months, stored in a cool, dark place. Keep jars in the fridge once opened.

I find this recipe keeps good colour Kath

RAZR63
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Post by RAZR63 »

Is there anywhere that sells sherry vinegar?

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

sophie wrote:Groucho, perhaps you could tell me how to keep red cabbage red when pickling it. Have tried in the past but it looses its colour.
I use a very simple Danish red cabbage recipe to which I add whole black peppercorns to bring out the flavour and I always use apple vinegar. Sold here as Elma vinegar.

The colour of ordinary malt vinegar is obviously going to affect the colour and I prefer the flavour when it's made with apple vinegar other than that I'd say don't over cook it - that's possibly the biggest cause of discolouration after the vinegar.

The recipe is a lot simpler than the one posted above... if you want it I will post it Sophie.

jen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Post by jen »

Please post your red cabbage recipe Groucho

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

jen wrote:Please post your red cabbage recipe Groucho
Danish Christmas Red Cabbage

INGREDIENTS:
Red cabbage, cored and shredded (2kg) 2 small ones or one large - weight is not too critical
500g (2 cups) white sugar
500ml (2 cups) apple vinegar
2 teaspoons salt
750ml (3 cups) water
8 - 10 black peppercorns whole

Equipment
I large saucepan or jam pan (I bought mine from IKEA and it's perfect for preserving work)
8 jars (nominal 1lb size but you can used less larger ones or more smaller ones)
Preferably a wide-mouthed funnel for dispensing into the storage jars... if you are using Kilner jars this is not necessary but is still a useful gadget to have in the kitchen.

DIRECTIONS:
Place all ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 1 hour. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and store in heated sterilised jars... Putting the jars in the oven at 100c for a few minutes will do this then allow to cool a little. Then ladle the cabbage and liquor making sure to cover with the liquid until the jar is nearly completely full and seal with a vinegar proof lid (most modern jars are suitable).

It will keep almost indefinitely in a cool dry place and should be kept in the fridge once opened

This will make about 8 one pound jars.... don't worry you'll get through it!

This can also be served immediately, or chilled and reheated later in smaller portions.

It's great with pork dishes, cold meat cuts, ploughman's lunches and salads.

Return to “RECIPES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”