Info regarding renewable energy systems.

How to save energy and money in North Cyprus: Solar Panels, Wind Turbines - find out all you need to know about renewable energy.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

skeeds2000
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Info regarding renewable energy systems.

•   Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Post by skeeds2000 »

Hello,

I have been thinking about going to a solar system for powering our house, i would like to know if others who have already done this think it has been worthwhile and if possible some costs. Also whether you are on/off grid and whether that is working out with Kibtec. I understand that all installations would be different and costings would vary but some idea would be helpful.

Would anybody be happy to recommend the company who installed their system and maybe ones to avoid. (if any)

Also any additional info would be great, things to look out for if you had it done again and would you change anything etc.

Many thanks in advance.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

Re: Info regarding renewable energy systems.

•   Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

Hello,
you have mainly two possibilities:
- install an on-grid system, for private homes in KKTC is only available the so called net-metering system.
needs permission from kibtek, incl title deed or sales contract. and many more other documents.
size of system is related to your actual energy needs.
prices can differ, due to quality and installation situation.
starting prices would be 3 kWp for 5000, 4 kWp for 6000 and 5 kWp for 7000 euros.
expect a bit more... usually 5 - 10%..
- go off grid. more expensive and needs good planning.
in some cases needs a permission.

we installed both systems many times in different sizes....

you also could install eg, a solar powered pool pump....

Regards
Kibsolar

skeeds2000
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Post by skeeds2000 »

Thanks for your info Kibsolar.

I have my title deeds, How long is the process to gain the other permissions from Kibtek?

With net metering I presume you feed excess back into the grid, do Kibtec re-imburse you?

Do you know if people who are already feeding back to the grid are being re-imbursed/compensated.

Which is better on or off grid?

How many panels are required for 3, 4 and 5 kwp systems and where are they generally mounted?

I am presuming if you go full solar then the requirement for a solar pool pump is not necessary.

Sorry for all the questions just trying to gain as much info as possible.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

Hello skeeds
Sorry for all the questions just trying to gain as much info as possible.
- gives us the possibility to bring all forum members up to date

I have my title deeds, How long is the process to gain the other permissions from Kibtek?
- the solar PV installation can be done faster as application process will need till final net- metering , approx 8-10 weeks from application hand in.
usually the system is ready installed and waits for final Kibtek control.

With net metering I presume you feed excess back into the grid, do Kibtec re-imburse you?
Do you know if people who are already feeding back to the grid are being re-imbursed/compensated.
- 2 x yes, but kibtek will not pay money to you.
if your monthly consumption is higher as solar production, you pay "consumption minus solar production".
if your solar production is higher as consumption (say, eg, in march, april, may, with no air cons running, but high solar production), kibtek will credit you (in kWh, not in money) ... kWh credits you can use in the future , (eg, june , juli , august) , and will be deducted from your credit account.
so, you pay consumption minus (solarproduction + credits). some customers need 3 or 4 month till the credits collected are down to "0".
net-metering is also fine for holiday homes or when you are "longer away"...
pls note: the standing charge or street light you still have to pay, of course.
- the permitted amount of solar PV in a net-metering system is regulated to the energy consumption of the last 12 month by "a formula".
this was introduced to avoid that people feed the grid "too much" and collect "too many credits" (which are not reimbursed with money) and they can not (or do not want to ) use these credits.
- in some cases it might be good to advice the customer to use "a bit more" for 2 or 3 month, to get the permission to install, eg, 4 instead of 3 kWp.

Which is better on or off grid?
- well. in the case you are not Kibtek connected, off grid is a necessity
but to have power during a power cut (off-grid as well) is a luxury, as off grid systems requiere batteries, an off grid inverter , those things.
and... an off grid system usually always is limited in power.

How many panels are required for 3, 4 and 5 kwp systems and where are they generally mounted?
- solar modules are available in different sizes and power. eg, 1,65 meter x 1 meter panels are available with approx 250 to 290 Wp (Wattpeak) power.
3 kWp = 10 to 12 panels. but also 2 x 1 meter panels are available.. with 330 Wp = 9 panels, but more or less "the same area" is required.
exeption are quite expensive (but not necessarily "better" ( = output... as 3 kWp are 3 kWp...) high efficient panels, installed only when you really have "space problems". usually not the case in Cyprus.
- panels are preferably mounted in the garden, on a roof, wherever ... and facing south, but also "east-west" installations are in cyprus acceptable. (partly) shading requires special solutions.

I am presuming if you go full solar then the requirement for a solar pool pump is not necessary.
- yes. but once you realise that the electricity is "for nothing or much less", you may increase your electricity consumption (eg, more air cons in summer or winter..)
the enlargement of an existing PV system requires a new permission and a new installation. so, often better is to save energy.
eg, you can get a new A+++ fridge and - or go solar off grid with your pool pump.
- some decide that a solar pool pump is sufficient for them as it requires say, 40% of their electricity bill, eg "holiday makers".

Kind Regrads
kibsolar1999

finchy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Post by finchy »

Hi Kibsolar,
What is the formula they use to determine what level of PV generation you are allowed?
My electricity usage has been around 3600kW over the last 12 months. It would be worth knowing what level I would need to get this up to to achieve the maximum allowance of a 4kWp system.

Regards

Finchy

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

finchy,
maximum allowance for single phase homes is 5 kWp for already existing electricity meters. (8kWp for 3 phase homes)
only for new homes to be erected or connected it is 4 kWp (8 kWp for 3 phase).

the formula is: consumption divided by 1600 = x, rounded up to the next number.
in your case 3600 / 1600 = 2,25, a max 3 kWp PV installation is permitted.
so, if you want a 4 kWp system, you have "some way to go"... as 0,75 kWp represent approx 1200 kWh.
but why have a 4 kWp?,
a 3 kWp is sufficient. and you have some power left for approx 1000 hrs run of a 9000 btu aircon (3-5 month "night run").

for max 5 kWp allowance you need minimum 6401 kWh yearly consumption.
for max 4 kWp = min 4801kWh
for max 3 kWp = min 3201
for max 2 kWp = min 1601 kWh
yearly consumption.
whether a 2 kWp is worth it?.... maybe a solar pool pump and-or a good solar DHW heater will do.
Regards
kibsolar 1999

finchy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Post by finchy »

Hi Kibsolar,
Thanks for your reply.

I need to change a few things at my villa over the next 12 months. A PV system is a certainty, also for our DHW system.
My assessment has been rounded up over the last 12 months, we hardly had the ac units on in the summer and have used the central heating system since December rather than the ac units. The heating system has been expensive to run, I suppose that we should have used the ac units to heat the rooms to give us a true reflection of our needs next winter and that then may have put us up to 4800kwh.

Regards

Finchy

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

finchy,
do not install the "energy saver" solar DHW before you applied for a PV system.
this might put you to below 3200 kWh and then only 2kWp are permitted.
also, do not be sure that the actual regulations will go on forever.
they might change towards eg, south cyprus regulations where credits can be used for 2 month only and credits can not be transferred into the next billing year.
pls also do not forget: an energy supplier as kibtek can not make any money by charging a "standing fee" only, but same time need to provide an energy network to buffer your needs and excess solar power.
so.. the more people install PV, something MUST change. eg, the price for consumption will go up (for everybody), which would be a hidden subsidy, limiting the max to be installed PV power or less contract times, whatever.
if, eg, 10MW PV net metering is installed, kibteks income loss is approx 2 million euro a year. instead they have additional work.

so, maybe it is advisable to get a "20 year permission (south : 15 years) for net metering under the actual regulations" from energy ministery and kibtek now.
Regards
kibsolar1999

Return to “RENEWABLE ENERGY - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”