Proposed new Board

Disability and mobility issues within the TRNC. Help and information from members regarding problems faced with access issues within the TRNC as well as other information required concerning disability matters.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Proposed new Board

Post by Ragged Robin »

A while ago someone said sarcastically to me that I should start my own topic on the subject of disability.

Since then there have been several queries on disability-related topics and I have been approached by tourists for information about mobility scooters. It seem to me that actually we need a new Board where people can find out about :- places with disabiity parking and toilets, Charities which are prepared to arrange transport to their fund raisers for disabled ,, sources to hire , buy or borrow equipment, facilitites such as mobile hairdressers and chiropodists, kind people who are prepared to offer lifts, and bring things from the UK and possibilities for car/tadi sharint etc.. People simply do not think to search previous topics (particularlly in an emergency), nor is it easy to do so. I dont think the medical and dental categories really fit.

Before I approach ADmin. could anyone interested please tell me what they think, and particularly can anyone come up with a snappy title? The very word "disabiity" seems to be a put off.

PS Dont hold you breath, but I am looking into the possibility of disabled scooter hire in the TRNC. Anyone who might be interested please let me know (pm if you like - absolutely no commitment.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Proposed new Board

Post by tomsteel »

I think your reference to a 'sarcastic' response to you may refer to one of my posts. If this is so, you are a million miles off target! As a Chartered Physiotherapist, I treated "disablement" in many forms, both permanent and temporary, physical and mental and with various coping mechanisms of those suffering. My suggestion was offered in a 'true' spirit of genuine help. However, if your comment was directed at me, then I suspect you prefer to wallow in self-pity and 'chip on the shoulder' syndrome.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Ragged Robin »

Frankly tomsteel I cannot remember who made the particular sarcastic comment - I try to put such things out of my mind and not dwell on them, but the impression came over that the particular poster and others would prefer me not to mention "unpleasant" topics in their nice enjoyable posts. If I misread one of your posts, I am sorry I misinterpreted. It seems you would be the ideal person to contribute to this new Board ; please feel free to put forward any practical and constructive suggestions.

Far from "walllowiing in self pity" I am desperately trying not only to rebuilt my life in the face of two separate
disabilities (without the finance for professional help) but to rasie awareness of the problems of others I tried to help in the past. If I have a"chip on my shoulder" it is because of the obstruction I face in this endeavour.

Only positive contributions to this post in future, please.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

Post by Soner »

RR, regarding creating a new board. How about simply naming it "Access" ?
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by ozankoys »

Sorry Soner but do not think that anyone would have a clue what 'Access' is about although they might have a look at it to find out thus generating more viewings.
What about 'Mobility Issues'

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

Post by Soner »

Would prefer one word link: "Mobility"
However, if you think we need to name it "Mobility Issues", then fine.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

Think Mobility would work.

Good idea to have an area on the forum specifically for mobility issues to be discussed, where those who are affected can offer advice and support.

What should try to be avoided is to raise mobility, access or disability discussions in a topic that is clearly nothing to do with these areas. It does happen and often takes that thread “off topic”.

The TRNC does have some way to go in ensuring that disabilities/mobility issues are addressed, it’s getting better but not perfect. Mind you here in the U.K. it can in some areas of life be just as frustrating. There will never be a solution that meets every individual requirement.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

Kath
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Kath »

Go for it

turtle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by turtle »

Sorry to be negative on this subject RR but the very idea of mobility scooters in North Cyprus fills me with horror.
Pavements that able bodied people struggle to negotiate and two foot high kerbs along with telegraph poles in the middle of pavements would make getting about hideous,...I could not imagine driving these scooters on the road as you would take your life into your hands every time you left your front door ?

I do agree as a starting point there should be a category for this subject on the forum and as for a name then "Mobility" seems to be as good a title as you would get.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Ragged Robin »

Tutrle : I take my life in my hands every time I open my front door on foot and when I leave by the gates by car. I, and at least two others, use mobility scooters round Ozankoy and yes the pavements are a hazard. Fortunately I am glad to say that 75% of drivers are considerate and helpful. One lorry driver even manhandled mine when I got stuck in a crater in the road. Admittedly it is not yet possible to get for instance to Girne but then I find it too scary by car anyway.

Scooters seems to be the coming thing, and if the TRNC want to be "progessive" it must accept the good with the bad!

NB WARNING Use of scoooters does depend on condition and seriousness. Check before trying to use.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Ragged Robin »

My favourite so far is "Access" but I am afraid we might get a lot of posts about credit cards.

My idea in suggestion this topic was to include disabled people not to continue to exclude them by for instance objecting to mention on other boards.) and unfortunately the words like "disabled " and "mobility" tend to carry some kind of stigma with them and some people avoid them . What about something like "Freedom of Access"? Soner is it possible to carry a description of the sort of thing to be covered underneath?

I really would like to hear the views and needs of other quotes "disabled" close quotes people: especially those worse than me or with different types of difficulties.

ljarvo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by ljarvo »

Sorry if stupid idea - How about it fits in with Medical and Dental as this is an important subject and extend the title to add Additional assistance or support? Just an idea...

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Hedge-fund »

Ragged Robin wrote:||:(( My favourite so far is "Access" but I am afraid we might get a lot of posts about credit cards.

My idea in suggestion this topic was to include disabled people not to continue to exclude them by for instance objecting to mention on other boards.) and unfortunately the words like "disabled " and "mobility" tend to carry some kind of stigma with them and some people avoid them . What about something like "Freedom of Access"? Soner is it possible to carry a description of the sort of thing to be covered underneath?

I really would like to hear the views and needs of other quotes "disabled" close quotes people: especially those worse than me or with different types of difficulties.
How about calling the new section:-

Accessible Cyprus
Access Cyprus

Or reverse it to:-

Cyprus Accessible

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

Ragged Robin wrote:||:(( My favourite so far is "Access" but I am afraid we might get a lot of posts about credit cards.

You have misunderstood my post. I did not suggest that disabled people be excluded from posting across the forum. Members are free to post on the forum in the various sections. My point is that often there is a topic about a subject of which disability, access etc is nothing to do with what is being discussed but is often mentioned. This then leads to taking the the discussion off topic.

If there is an area on the forum to discuss access or offer support and advice to help those who may have a disability in whatever form, then this is the obvious place for it. It will get read and can lead to debate or advice being offered.

Not sure but for technical reasons or the functionality of the forum the naming of this part of the board may need to be kept to one or two words.

Let’s see what Soner comes up with.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

Post by Soner »

"Accessibility" ??? The forum is for the TRNC, so would be about accessibility within the TRNC.
Over to you.

lee666
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by lee666 »

Access4U
"The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones."

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waddo »

I fear I must enter this discussion! Having been accused of many things in life, being cynical is only one of them, I am an adult, I do not live in the UK, I disagree with many of the now common Political Correctness things that people these days have to work around because they do not wish to upset people. I am not yet disabled, thankfully, however in the future were I to become disabled I would welcome all the help I could gain. I find that to have a whole thread dedicated to a decision on what to call it is demeaning to both the disabled and the able bodied, purely because nobody wishes to upset any readers.

We have many double barrelled titles for things here - "Property Sales", "Property Maintenance", "Charity & society" etc, to name but a few, why not have a title meaning what it is for - "Disability Assistance" - and leave it at that? In fairness there are titles here that are ignored anyway, take "Bathrooms" as an instance, 5 posts in a year, 3 of them are "Wanted", 1 is "Sales" and 1 is an "Advert for a Company", why have a title that effectively is not in use when we need a title for "Disability Matters".

Perhaps, as a Yorkshireman I do call a spade a spade - maybe these days I should call it an earth removal implement? Can we not be sensible about this whole matter for I feel sure that those with disabilities would be more than happy to be able to find information that may assist them in a timely and easy manner - I know that I would? If my post has upset any reader then you have my sincere apologies but I do believe that the time has come for some plain speaking.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

Waddo

Thanks for your post.

I agree that there are some areas of the forum that have minimal posts and therefore could well be culled and removed. Your example of bathrooms is a good one. As a mod I will spend some time looking at each section on the forum to try and understand what areas could possibly be removed due to lack of posts/interest.

I also think that if an area of the forum is opened up for disability/access threads then this should be the place to discuss these issues. Not other areas of the forum. Again this area needs to be monitored over time to see if it is being used.

Your title suggestion of Disability Assistance is a good one.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waddo »

Posh, Just to be sure, it was not a "Dig" against board moderation, having had that task myself in the past I well know how difficult it is to deal with us "Users" - lol. Trying to keep up with posts that have simply been "Shotgunned" onto any title on the entire board is like knitting with fog, well done to all the Mod's for their persistence and ability to keep their fingers quiet when all they want to do is quietly strangle somebody!

I know that "Disability Assistance" may not be PC in the modern world but it would be straight to the point and hopefully guide, directly, those who either need assistance or can provide it.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by mrsgee »

Waddo, personally, I think your suggestion is the most transparent and sensible one. It leaves no-one in any doubt as to what the subject matter is, and, If I may point out also, there are many forms of disability. I am profoundly deaf, which is quite depressing at times, but, hey ho, have to make the most of life.....and there are worse things, but, I don't see anything wrong in using the word 'disability' especially when it is followed by the word 'assistance'. I am sure that there are lots of people who have disabilities of one form or another, not just mobility difficulties, and who would appreciate some form of assistance from time to time.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Ragged Robin »

PoshinDevon wrote:

My idea in suggestion this topic was to include disabled people not to continue to exclude them by for instance objecting to mention on other boards.) and unfortunately the words like "disabled " and "mobility" tend to carry some kind of stigma with them and some people avoid them . What about something like "Freedom of Access"? Soner is it possible to carry a description of theyiysort of thing to be covered underneath?

You have misunderstood my post. I did not suggest that disabled people be excluded from posting across the forum. Members are free to post on the forum in the various sections. My point is that often there is a topic about a subject of which disability, access etc is nothing to do with what is being discussed but is often mentioned. This then leads to the the discussion off topic.

I think we are misunderstanding each other again Posh but please do not let's argue on this particular subject. The problem is that quite often on a forum two subjects interlock and then ill-minded people argue and lead off the original topic. AS an example, say I am deaf and use a hearing aid. If I am considering paying to attend a concert to support a Charity, surely it is not unreasonable if I ask the Charity what the acoustics of the venue are? Or whether it will be possible, say, to reserve a seat near the front. And surely an ad for the concert is the correct thread?
Ho
I very much hope that the proposed new Board will encourage venues (restaurants etc.) to advertise facilities they have for disabled access and enjoymment and Charities to include full details of disabibility provisions in their advetisemetns, which will obviate the need for on thread discussions. People querying arrangements on thread will hopefully encourage the providers to provide more info in the first place, as welll as raising awarenesss. However like everything else it will take time to percolate through and I hope mods willl view sympathatically questions on othr threads about disability provisions -or indeed others as there are many who are not necessary disabled but elderly and frail who need to know if parking involves a long trek across a muddy car park!

If there is an area on the forum to discuss access or offer support and advice to help those who may have a disability in whatever form, then this is the obvious place for it. It will get read and can lead to debate or advice being offered.

Not sure but for technical reasons or the functionality of the forum the naming of this part of the board may need to be kept to one or two words.

Let’s see what Soner comes up with.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Ragged Robin »

Oops/ When I wrote my last post, I seem to have completely missed two or three previous ones! Mrs. Gee inwhen I used deafness as an example I had no thought of you in mind and no ill intentions whatsover. If iit caused offence, I sincerely apologise. It was just that I have been accused of stressing my own problems too much, and it was the first other one I could think of!

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

waddo wrote:Posh, Just to be sure, it was not a "Dig" against board moderation, having had that task myself in the past I well know how difficult it is to deal with us "Users" - lol. Trying to keep up with posts that have simply been "Shotgunned" onto any title on the entire board is like knitting with fog, well done to all the Mod's for their persistence and ability to keep their fingers quiet when all they want to do is quietly strangle somebody!

I know that "Disability Assistance" may not be PC in the modern world but it would be straight to the point and hopefully guide, directly, those who either need assistance or can provide it.
No offence taken at all. I agree with your suggested name for the new board area and hopefully this will indeed guide people quickly to the correct area to post or discuss. I also think it would be worthwhile looking at other categories on the board to understand if they are really relevant or being used.

tingtang
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by tingtang »

An excellent initiative Robin and encouraging to see that you have so much support,
As to suggested titles by far the most suitable is Waddo's 'Disability Matters' which has the clarity of being straight to the point and I certainly would not have any worries about 'Stigma' being attached to disability.

Being able bodied we do not give much thought about disability until it happens to someone close to us and, I have found', on this island that life becomes a catalog of issues every occasion we venture out.

Good luck with your proposed suggestion to Admin

tt.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Ragged Robin »

Well, I think I am going to vote for either "Access to Mobility" which has a positive sound or "Mobility Access" because "Mobility" would follow "Medical" on the Index, which has a sort of logic when searching for something! Over to you Soner!

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

Post by Soner »

Mobile Phones will still follow Medical.
I also do like "Disability Matters", meaning both disability issues and that it is of concern.

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by mrsgee »

RR, I am not at all offended by your reference to deafness, why would I be? It is a fact of life, as any other disability, both physical and mental. I do not shy away from calling it a disability.....in fact, sometimes I think I should stamp 'deaf' across my forehead...to let people know that I have difficulties, but that would be a bit extreme, lol. I like 'Disability Matters', as it would be an umbrella to cover all types of disablement, not just mobility issues. Also, it has a double meaning,..... matters concerning disability, and the fact that disability DOES matter. Like it Soner!

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

Disability Matters

This is the area of the forum to discuss, offer or seek advice on all forms of disability in the TRNC whatever form that may take.

If you want to praise an establishment or organisation, have a moan, offer or seek advice please post here.

Thanks Soner

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Ragged Robin »

tingtang wrote:An excellent initiative Robin and encouraging to see that you have so much support,
As to suggested titles by far the most suitable is Waddo's 'Disability Matters' which has the clarity of being straight to the point and I certainly would not have any worries about 'Stigma' being attached to disability.

Being able bodied we do not give much thought about disability until it happens to someone close to us and, I have found', on this island that life becomes a catalog of issues every occasion we venture out.

Good luck with your proposed suggestion to Admin

tt.
Many thanks for your support and understanding tt. You are so right, none of us really understands the problems of even minor disability until it happens to us or someone close. I think the proposed new board has already "earned its keep" in arousing so much interest

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Ragged Robin »

[quote="Soner"]Mobile Phones will still follow Medical.
I also do like "Disability Matters", meaning both disability issues and that it is of concern.[/quote

Yes Soner, I will misssed that! Mobility and Mobile phones would be confusing. I will go with "Disability Matters"

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Ragged Robin »

mrsgee wrote:RR, I am not at all offended by your reference to deafness, why would I be? It is a fact of life, as any other disability, both physical and mental. I do not shy away from calling it a disability.....in fact, sometimes I think I should stamp 'deaf' across my forehead...to let people know that I have difficulties, but that would be a bit extreme, lol. I like 'Disability Matters', as it would be an umbrella to cover all types of disablement, not just mobility issues. Also, it has a double meaning,..... matters concerning disability, and the fact that disability DOES matter. Like it Soner!
ut
I know just what you mean mrsgee. I dont think my problems show unless I am moving and not always then. But then I think about those whose arthritis has warped into grotesque shapes, and think in fact I am rather lucky!

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Ragged Robin »

PoshinDevon wrote:Disability Matters

This is the area of the forum to discuss, offer or seek advice on all forms of disability in the TRNC whatever form that may take.

If you want to praise an establishment or organisation, have a moan, offer or seek advice please post here.

Thanks to Soner for getting this sorted.

The following is a list I included in my first post of proposed subjects to be covered by the Board:-

places with disabiity parking and toilets; Charities which include disabled persons in their events; ; kind people who are prepared to offer lifts, and bring things from the UK and possibilities for car/taxi sharing etc... ,, sources to hire , buy or borrow equipment, facilitites such as mobile hairdresser and chiropodist

I would particularly like to see encouragement for people to advertise facilities and services:: try to get restaurants for example to provide disabled parking as an amenity - and mobile services - a hair wash and style can be a real morale boost for a housebound person. Also that Charities should be encouraged to include disabled people in their events by specifying disabled facilities available in their choice of venue and advertisements.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by sophie »

Disability Matters is head and shoulders above the other suggestions. These two words encapsulate everything that RR is asking for.

Lets cut our losses, decide on the above, and let RR kick it off with something constructive. You never know, Kibcom might just have some influence on buildings, cafes, etc who just ignore the situation.

A bit like the Grey Pound in UK...................have some buying power and make a change.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Keithcaley »

sophie wrote:...Lets ... decide on the above...
You've not been paying attention

The 'Disability matters' section has been in place since Tuesday lunchtime - around the time that Posh announced it (Post 28) ...

This entire thread is in that section!

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Ragged Robin »

If you click on "Board Index" (difficult to find it is in tiny pale blue print under "View Active Topics" you will find a list of Boards with a brief description of the purpose of the Board underneath. This is what I have twice suggested a description for. However when I looked there to see if Disability Matters had beeen added it was not there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perhaps it has not been updated recently because it is not in alphabetical order! With respect I think it would be reallly useful to have this section updated and the new Board added. Also perhaps made more eye catching, might help people to chose the right Board to post in and make Posh happy!

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Keithcaley »

Ragged Robin wrote:If you click on "Board Index" (difficult to find it is in tiny pale blue print under "View Active Topics" you will find a list of Boards with a brief description of the purpose of the Board underneath. This is what I have twice suggested a description for. However when I looked there to see if Disability Matters had beeen added it was not there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh yes, it is - it's near the bottom between Bathrooms, and the first of the 'Commercial' sections; I think that they are listed in the order that they were added to the forum.
...(in order to be able to) choose the right Board to post in and make Posh happy!
The quickest way to access any of the sections is by looking at the list immediately below the 'Banner advertisement' at the top of the page, all of the sections are listed alphabetically, and clicking on the one that you want to read, or to post in will open that section immediately...

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by sophie »

KC lost the will to live on the subject. Sorry but it became as convoluted as Brexit and that's as much as I can cope with at any one time.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

Keithcaley wrote:
Ragged Robin wrote:If you click on "Board Index" (difficult to find it is in tiny pale blue print under "View Active Topics" you will find a list of Boards with a brief description of the purpose of the Board underneath. This is what I have twice suggested a description for. However when I looked there to see if Disability Matters had beeen added it was not there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh yes, it is - it's near the bottom between Bathrooms, and the first of the 'Commercial' sections; I think that they are listed in the order that they were added to the forum.
...(in order to be able to) choose the right Board to post in and make Posh happy!
The quickest way to access any of the sections is by looking at the list immediately below the 'Banner advertisement' at the top of the page, all of the sections are listed alphabetically, and clicking on the one that you want to read, or to post in will open that section immediately...

As KC has explained the Disability Matters section has been on the board for two days. The explanation above is the quickest way to find the relevant section you wish to post in.

Return to “DISABILITY MATTERS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”