Add or find out about recipes posted by Kibkom members,

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Kath
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Lemon recipes

•   Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Kath »

Lemon curd.. limoncello, lemon marmalade. Lemon drizzle cake any more ideas?

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Lemon recipes

•   Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Ice cream and sorbet - see Internet for recipes with and without ice cream maker.

If, like me, you have a surplus of lemons, juice can be added tp washing up to save liquid and make things sparke. Add salt to a halved lemon to clean brass and copper.

Cheshire Homes are usually glad of a gift of lemons, and maybe some of the other Charities?

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Preserved lemons, plenty of recipes on internet. Have also done an Indian lemon pickle, which was really lovely. Don't have a recipe to hand, but I just adapted a recipe for Indian lime pickle found on internet last year.

Don't throw your peels away (any citrus peels will do). Add them to vinegar for cleaning. Leave in a jar for about a fortnight, then strain.
Candied peel for baking.

Kath
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Kath »

Thanks. Keep the ideas coming

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Cut some lemons into quarters (or smaller chunks, depending on the size of the lemons) and freeze 'em - use in drinks instead of ice cubes.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

You can also freeze whole lemons, if you can't be bothered doing anything with them on picking. The texture changes a bit, but the taste is still there, you can grate the rind whilst still frozen, and juice or slice when thawed.

Alternatively, you can zest lemons and also juice, and freeze in ice cube trays separately, then bag when frozen.

Lemon extract.
Peel of about 6 - 8 lemons in around 250 ml of vodka. Peel lemons using a potato peeler, avoiding the white pith and soak in vodka in a covered container for around 6 weeks or so. Shake whenever you remember. Strain and bottle and keep in a cupboard.

Came across https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/homemade-extracts/ which gives recipes for various extracts

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Flu/cold hot drink - lemon ginger and honey.
Can't think why I didn't add this one as am using it a lot just now, having the flu bug that's going around.
Grated ginger, lemon juice and honey topped up with hot water. Initially was just making up as I made a hot drink. Then made a batch, simmered it a bit and put in a container in the fridge. Just pour a little into a mug and top up with boiling water. Might make up a batch and freeze in ice cubes, once I get over this bug, as doing anything is a right chore at the moment.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

alphamike wrote:Flu/cold hot drink - lemon ginger and honey.
Can't think why I didn't add this one as am using it a lot just now, having the flu bug that's going around.
Grated ginger, lemon juice and honey topped up with hot water. Initially was just making up as I made a hot drink. Then made a batch, simmered it a bit and put in a container in the fridge. Just pour a little into a mug and top up with boiling water. Might make up a batch and freeze in ice cubes, once I get over this bug, as doing anything is a right chore at the moment.
You forgot the slug of Brandy!

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Keithcaley wrote: You forgot the slug of Brandy!
My humble apologies Keith, can only put it down to a fuzzy brain at the moment. A tot of whisky or dark rum would also work.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

You can also add cloves and cinamon to the hot lemon toddy. If you add alcohol take care to keep warm (best to go straight to bed) as the idea is to make you perspire.

Also stick lemons , or oranges, with cloves and shake in a paper bag with cinamon . Put in wardrobes and drawers to make clothes smell good and deter moths. Tie ribbons round for Christmas decorations.

Another "lazy" one: put a sliced put unpeeled lemon, some pearl barley and a spoonful of honey in a jug. Pour boiling water over, In winter drink hot with whisky etc. In summer chill in frig,, add ice cubes, mint, slices of cucumber and apple for a very cooling drink Pear barley is also good for urinary and fungus infections.
Last edited by Ragged Robin on Sat 16 Dec 2017 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

In case you struggle to find Pearl Barley, I think that the Turkish is 'Frenk Arpa' or 'Frenk Arpası'.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Keithcaley wrote:In case you struggle to find Pearl Barley, I think that the Turkish is 'Frenk Arpa' or 'Frenk Arpası'.
Sorry, what I use is "Arpa şehriye" which translates as "Barley Noodle". My mother always used Pearl Barley but I have not seen it here, and according the Internet "pearlising" (Ok I just made that up) actually detracts from the goodness of the barley.

Return to “RECIPES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”