What, how and who?

Disability and mobility issues within the TRNC. Help and information from members regarding problems faced with access issues within the TRNC as well as other information required concerning disability matters.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

What, how and who?

•   Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Unfortunately Northern Cyprus is not a good place for disabled people. The geology of the place is against it for a start, and the history where political events has left many places in the state that Disreali's engineers and architects left them! Nor is it within the customs of Turkish Cypriots to seek public care ; although it is sadly dying off the extended family caring for its own young, elderly and disabled still exists.

I believe that the few signs of improvement (such as the disabled parking spaces in car parks) is simply an attempt to attract EU support/funding and with recent events who knows what will happen now!

Soner's post above highlighted the problems of one type of disability in one situation and area. Suggestions were made for "haranguing" the authorities.
I am afraid a few complaints by an enfranchised and often unsupportive minority is unlikely to get anywhere. There are other types of disability that we do not even hear of.

What the expat British community needs to do is to demonstrate that they care about disability and set an example in enabling sufferers to live normal and independent lives. This means "voting with our feet" and whenever booking for a meal or a facility or even visiting a market ask what facilities it has for disabled people and make it clear that in future you will be looking for places that provide facilities. This applies particularly to organisations making bookings for large numbers of people.

The other thing is : imagine you have been stuck at home or just in your village for weeks; the opportunity arises for an exciting trip out; after great expectations you get there and find you cannot take part because the location is up a flight of steps or a steep slope that you cannot manage, or that you cannot walk the distance you have to park away, or that the place is OK but the loos are up or down a flight of steps.

I would like to provide a list of popular (eg restaurants) AND necessary (eg Govt. offices, hospitals, dentist , vets etc..>) places With notes of those with disabled facilities and those that are inaccessible. Also sometimes if you have found a way to get over the problem (eg a back entrance) I hope with ADmin/mods permission to start a thread listing such places. Meantime I can only speak for those with mobility problems. I hope those with other issues/needs will write in (or contact me by pm) with suggestions.

kayc
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: What, how and who?

•   Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Post by kayc »

There really is very little done to accommodate handicapped people - I noticed that soon after arriving. Not to mention also any form of pedestrian crosswalks. Thankfully, most people in autos are kind and stop to allow you to cross.

mickhm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Post by mickhm »

Well I had a foot off earlier this year. I have a falsy but I cnnt wear it all the time so I am pushed about in a wheelchair. My wife does like ddoing lunchdes though so here is a list of places you can get into in a wheel chair. There is no particular order or preference

Chicken Planet Karalonolu No disable parking but there is a ramp. it is steep so you need assistance to get up. I think toilets though are upstairs

Uncle Sams Girne No disabled parking but they have a ramp. staff are helpfull and will assist both up and down

Ezic peanuts has 2 disabled bays and a shallow ramp once inside though you are confined to upstairs only

Alesta kebap no disabled parking but a slop at the Karakum limited to oustside eating only staf very helpful

Burger city (lemar Karakum) 4 disabled bays easy access in and out no disabled toilets but can get to normal ones.

Salties fish and chips no disabled bays cr park is all gravel and limited to outside eating

Lemar by Cratos 2 disabled bays easy access into shop and they have a wheelchair providing tyres not flat

Crispy Squid no disablesd bays but easy to get too outside eating only

Mardos no disbaled bays but has 2 ramps a little stuggle but can get in eat inside or out Think toilets are upstairs

Murphy's and George ok if you can get there

Kyrenia golf course no disabled bays has a slope but it is steep eat inside or out

Walnut Tree Kucuk Erenkoy no disabled bays but you can park next to the ramp. eat inside or out and has disabled toilet (goota book in the summer for this one)

Charlies sports bar Kucuk Erenkoy no disbaled bays but can park near the block paving outside eating only

Armegon kebab in Farmagusta no disabled and parlking is a nightmare but they have a ramp into the cafe.

That's about all I can think of so far If I try or think of any more will post on here
good luck
Mick
As I got older I congratulated myself on my tolerance..... Now I realise I just don't give a "ooops"

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Thanks very much mick. That is briliant! Two points:

1, Where you say outside eating, is that for everyone or just for disabled people who cannot access other levels.

2. You say that Lemar Catalkoy has disabled parking, but it is only two spaces and they are usually occupied by abe bodies drivers//passengers. Also the car park is often full because , so I am told, the staff at the Cratos Hotel use it for parking. Large coaches also apparently going to Cratos also create a hazard. Also they have two speed bumps either side of the entrance, when the car park is full you have to wheel your trolley over these to get to the car. I find this impossible and I have been told that even able bodied find it difficult.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

kayc wrote:There really is very little done to accommodate handicapped people - I noticed that soon after arriving. Not to mention also any form of pedestrian crosswalks. Thankfully, most people in autos are kind and stop to allow you to cross.
You are right kayc - I sometimes wonder if ever a UK Health and Safety Inspector came here on holiday whether he would be driven to hysterics by the things that happen - and dont.

Pedestrian crossing, like pavements and kerbs are partly a matter of traffic managment and affect the whole population , not just the handicapped - and it is my belief that this is because the TRNC is trying to run before it can walk, it is after all a very young nation. I agree that many drivers are kind, but there are two many who are not.........if you have walking or breathing difficulties and are slow moving crossing some roads can be a nightmare. I love my scooter but am limited where I can go because I just dare not cross some roads where the traffic is whizzing by and lorries and off road vehicle drivers are looking over my head.

mickhm
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Post by mickhm »

Hi RR when I say outside only it is because you cannot get inside Also have noticed Credit West bank Catalkoy has now installed a ramp to get in
As I got older I congratulated myself on my tolerance..... Now I realise I just don't give a "ooops"

davedee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Post by davedee »

I believe a good start would be Restaurants,shops and offices with steps to at least have a handrail,some of those that have are not at all secure.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

I do so agree davedee. For someone at my level of incapacity a handrail, particularly where there are only two or three steps would make all the difference. And again it is a safety item that should be provided for everyone.

I was planning to include the Courtyard in my list of fairly accessible restaurants, because it is level ground with large carpark, but I have been "getting at" Mo to provide a handrail for the steps to the raised pool area for over twenty years without success. I can manage with a stick but always feel very insecure.

A particularly shame because I like many really benefit from swimming, which is the best exercise for arthritis sufferers.
So many pools , including private ones, are not designed with safety and ease of access in mind and the Courtyard's pool itself is one of th best.

Return to “DISABILITY MATTERS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”