The only disability conscious picnic area in Cyprus!!!

Disability and mobility issues within the TRNC. Help and information from members regarding problems faced with access issues within the TRNC as well as other information required concerning disability matters.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

kbasat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

The only disability conscious picnic area in Cyprus!!!

•   Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

Post by kbasat »

Taskent Picnic Area, located next to the big flag upon the mountain, right above 11th Century Panayia Absinthiotiss Church and just 3kms from the Buffavento Castle. It is being managed by non-for-profit Taskent Nature Park and have a capacity of about 3000 picnickers at a time.

The picnic site has 20 wheelchair friendly picnic tables, a specially hardened area for easy wheelchair movement, 12 disabled parking spots, world standard (5% grade), a disabled access slide, a wheelchair swing, and disabled toilet.

Disabled picnic tables are always free.

There is also a market and a small cafe/restaurant is also present at the premises so you can just pop in for a beer or five...

You have to see it to believe it

https://www.facebook.com/taskentpiknik/
( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°) Haters will see you walk on water and say it’s because you can’t swim. ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
-----
https://www.facebook.com/taskentdogaparki/

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: The only disability conscious picnic area in Cyprus!!!

•   Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

This sounds a fantastic initiative to be commended. However it does seem the notice is a little premature.

Any disabled or partly disabled person thinking of visiting the area should first read the post in the general section under "Typical day at Taskent Nature Park". It appears that work on the Park is still in progress and not only is the vehicular access very difficult but access from the car park to the picnic area is not yet available for wheelchair and mobility scooters.

I am highlighting this because I know from personal experience and observing and helping others how terribly disappointing and disheartening if a normally housebound person who has been looking forward to an outing and perhaps spend ill afforded time and money on it, if they are are then unable to access their venue because of lack of promised facilities. To the extent that I consider that misleading vulnerable people about faciltiies availabe is rather cruel.

No doubt it was a mistake or misunderstanding in this case but I do hope that kbsat or someone in authority will read this ,and make sure to advise us when the facilities for disabled access are actually available. At the same time it would be good for all to be advised of the condition of the road.

I should also be glad to have a reply to my enquiry as to whether any part or parts of the Park itself will be accessible for disabled visitors, including mobility scooters

kbasat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

Post by kbasat »

Taskent Picnic Area and Taskent Nature Park are 2 different places, approx 1km apart.

Picnic area has been opened on March 2017 and has been operating with the facilities stated in my post above. We ourselves are using 3 wheeled electric tricycles for cleaning and removing charcoal from the whole picnic area. Any tweaks that we might need to further improve disability access in the picnic area needs to come from people using it.

---

Taskent Nature Park is currently a construction zone and we are planning to open our doors to first visitors in Spring 2018. Most, if not all of the Park will also be scooter friendly.
( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°) Haters will see you walk on water and say it’s because you can’t swim. ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
-----

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

The way to understand if a facility meets your needs is to go and visit yourself.

The picnic area location, facilities and operation has been explained. Go, take a look and if necessary provide some constructive feedback on what is good or could be made better. This applies to both able bodied visitors and those who may have a disability - only you can know if it meets your needs.

From what I have read on various threads about the picnic area and proposed nature park this is a project that needs support and would be well worth a visit.

Why not give it a go - when the weather is good of course.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

woodspeckie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Post by woodspeckie »

We visited here a few days ago a little difficult to get to because of the road works but worth the effort, I have replied on the other post about our visit there. There is a lot of work being done and just needs a bit of patience while this takes place it will be well worth it no doubt it will be very busy when the wildlife park opens, look forward to that. Good luck to everyone at Taskent doga park your hard work will be repaid.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

I asked for a disability section to be started (although in fact it was taken out of my hands and started before I was really ready) to help disabled persons, and also to highlight the difficulties they face. I suppose I should be grateful to kbsat and Posh for demonstrating just the ignorant and uncaring attitude that causes these problems,, both for the disabled adn/or those who are not so well off financially

If you will do me the courtesy of reading my second para you will see I explained why it is not reasonable to expect the disabled to access facilities (particularly those at a distance and over difficult roads( without assurance from someone trustworthy that disabled facilities are in place.

Electric tricycles ridden by able bodied people are not the same as mobility scooters which mostly have a low centre of gravity for security and very little ground clearance. Far less wheelchairs which in most ordinary cases are powered by the user or a helper who may themselves be elderly and not vey strong.

For myself, visiting the facility would mean asking a busy friend to take me and the scooter by lorry - or paying for someone to do it and a long and tiring day, not to mention paying someone to look after the dogs. I am not prepared to do that without reliable assurance that the effort and money will be worth it.

In view of the lack of compassion and understanding of the two posts, I will, in any case, be sadly boycotting the Park.
Not for the first time I am also considering whether I can continue to be a member of a forum where "Posh" is a moderator.

Happy New Year

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

All I was suggesting was rather than bemoaning the facility just go along and see for yourself. Then offer constructive criticism or positive feedback as required.

To suggest that others report back or suggest that somehow the facility does not or may not meet your needs certainly does not help. To boycott without visiting is something I do not understand.

Only you can know whether the facility meets your needs or not. As you have a disability you would in my opinion be the ideal person to visit and provide feedback both to the owner and also on this forum.

My comments were as a Kibkom member not a moderator. I am very compassionate but it’s seems there is no pleasing some which is dissapointing.

Never mind it’s NYE so best wishes for 2018.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

posh: I have explained who I and others like my or even than me worse cannot visit the facility and should not be expected to;

Or are you offering to take me?

I am not actually the perfect person because I do not know all the various disabilities that arise, mine is comparatiely minor, and I am not - yet touch wood - in a wheelchair. Your need to become aware that there are different types and
degrees of disability.

Even an able bodied young healthy person could not visit all the locations that may need to be accessed by the disabled. abortive visits are at best distressing and at worst painful and possibly harmful. That is why i am asking alll the nicer, kinder members of Kibcom to report places with good - or convers ely bad - access.

I intended to give some indication of what to look for and ask others with different problems to do the same, but as I said before the board was opened before I was ready, and I have been ill (not just disabled but ordinary flue and shoulder pains since then) and hardly able to look after myself let alone do investigations.

This is not the way I meant to spend New Years Eve, but you
have a good one anyway!

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Ragged Robin wrote:posh: I have explained who I and others like my or even than me worse cannot visit the facility and should not be expected to;

Or are you offering to take me?

I am not actually the perfect person because I do not know all the various disabilities that arise, mine is comparatiely minor, and I am not - yet touch wood - in a wheelchair. Your need to become aware that there are different types and
degrees of disability.

I am well aware that there are many different types of disability both seen and unseen, physical and mental. Having spent time working in the NHS it is something that you quickly become aware of and understand.

Even an able bodied young healthy person could not visit all the locations that may need to be accessed by the disabled. abortive visits are at best distressing and at worst painful and possibly harmful. That is why i am asking alll the nicer, kinder members of Kibcom to report places with good - or convers ely bad - access.

Of course it is useful for everyone to report back on disabled facilities -that’s why the disabled section of the board was opened. However; there are many forms of disability so you cannot rely on others when making a decision as to whether it meets your personal requirements. Only you can decide. Hence my suggestion not to just dismiss or boycott locations and if possible visit yourself, provide feedback and post on the forum.

I intended to give some indication of what to look for and ask others with different problems to do the same, but as I said before the board was opened before I was ready, and I have been ill (not just disabled but ordinary flue and shoulder pains since then) and hardly able to look after myself let alone do investigations.

This is not the way I meant to spend New Years Eve, but you
have a good one anyway!

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

[quote="PoshinDevon"][quote="Ragged Robin"]posh: I have explained who I and others like my or even than me worse cannot visit the facility and should not be expected to

[
Of course it is useful for everyone to report back on disabled facilities -that’s why the disabled section of the board was opened. However; there are many forms of disability so you cannot rely on others when making a decision as to whether it meets your personal requirements. Only you can decide. Hence my suggestion not to just dismiss or boycott locations and if possible visit yourself, provide feedback and post on the forum.

That is exactly the point I am making. No one person can cover all the aspects and we have (however imperfect it may be ) to rely on reports on others . I myself did not realise how bad full disability was until I recently injured (I hope temporarily) an arm, and even so, inshallah, I still have one useable limb, eyesight etc. I have put some pointers as to what is needed for my normal evel of disability already, and will soon repeat them. I have invited others with different probems to post their needs and hope this thread will not put them off.

I am boycotting in this instance, not because the facilities were currently inadequate, but because , possibly due to over enthusiasm (as happened once before in another context) the promotion was misleading. And instead of saying "sorry we missed that, we will put in right by ......................) their (and your reply) was aggressive and unsympathetic.
However you need not worry, I doubt they will miss what little financial contribution I can make , and others here are quite capable of forming their own opinions!!!!!!!!!!

I notice you did not feel the need to objections to reports on the problems at the new Mr. Pound building?

PS please read my post No 8 on the "when what and why" thread.
~

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

RR

I really cannot fathom your reasoning.

You suggested and many agreed that a disabled section on this forum would be useful. It was implemented and yet you seem to be saying it was started too early for some reason.

The owner of a picnic area and a future nature park posted and highlighted the facilities and gave details about how they were looking to help people with disabilities. Yet you have decided to boycott without visiting and prefer to ask others to provide feedback.

Any feedback from others is a personal viewpoint and whilst they may feel that access, facilities etc would meet their needs or of those whom are disabled it is by no means guaranteed. Disability of whatever form is personal. Access may be fine for some but impossible for others. Only by visiting yourself will you know.

I am struggling to understand what you really do want.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

PoshinDevon wrote:RR

You suggested and many agreed that a disabled section on this forum would be useful. It was implemented and yet you seem to be saying it was started too early for some reason.

The owner of a picnic area and a future nature park posted and highlighted the facilities and gave details about how they were looking to help people with disabilities. Yet you have decided to boycott without visiting and prefer to ask others to provide feedback.

Any feedback from others is a personal viewpoint and whilst they may feel that access, facilities etc would meet their needs or of those whom are disabled it is by no means guaranteed. Disability of whatever form is personal. Access may be fine for some but impossible for others. Only by visiting yourself will you know.

Not half as much as I am strugglling to understand your attitude Posh. I just cannot comprehend a decent person expecting disabled people (whatever the disability) to make a unnecessary journey and go to unnecesary expense to visit a facility where their disability might prohibit them from entry.

Hpwever I just do not have the time or health to keep repeating the same thing over and over again. I can only hope and pray that others here will have the compassion to continue to report conditions at all sorts of places for the benefit of the disadvantaged, including, disabled, frail elderly and children and carers, and incidentally none drivers.
I particularly want this to apply to Charities who arrange functions and am sad but think it is symptomatic that none have contributed..

What I really want is facilities to publish their provisions, or lack of (since somethimes it is impracticalble) so that suffers do not have unneccesary cost or pain or discomfort. AS this is unlikely I want members of this forum to report their experiences and warn us of pitfalls - as indeed they already sometimes for everyone's benefit in the case of for instance, poor parking provision or dangerous traffic conditions.

AS far as timing is concerned I had though about a separate board, and had "floated" the idea to see if I would get a favourable response from members" If Idid my intention had been to approach Soner on the subject and ask if the new board could be started in the New Year when members would have returned from Christmas holidays and it woudl get more attention in the dulll months. It would also have given me the chance to approach a couple of organisations concerned with the disabled and ask for their support and permission to describe their activities. However before I had the chance to do so someone (I think it was you) decided to place th board immediately which did not give me the chance to get it off to the right start.................... meanwhile Illness has intervened and prevented me from tryingt o redress that situation. However what is done is done and no use crying over spilt milk. CAn we now just concentrate please on trying to help and support the unfortunate and leave our own prejudcies out of it.

kbasat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

Post by kbasat »

Ragged Robin wrote:
PoshinDevon wrote:
Ragged Robin wrote:posh: I have explained who I and others like my or even than me worse cannot visit the facility and should not be expected to

[

That is exactly the point I am making. No one person can cover all the aspects and we have (however imperfect it may be ) to rely on reports on others . I myself did not realise how bad full disability was until I recently injured (I hope temporarily) an arm, and even so, inshallah, I still have one useable limb, eyesight etc. I have put some pointers as to what is needed for my normal evel of disability already, and will soon repeat them. I have invited others with different probems to post their needs and hope this thread will not put them off.

I am boycotting in this instance, not because the facilities were currently inadequate, but because , possibly due to over enthusiasm (as happened once before in another context) the promotion was misleading. And instead of saying "sorry we missed that, we will put in right by ......................) their (and your reply) was aggressive and unsympathetic.
However you need not worry, I doubt they will miss what little financial contribution I can make , and others here are quite capable of forming their own opinions!!!!!!!!!!

I notice you did not feel the need to objections to reports on the problems at the new Mr. Pound building?

PS please read my post No 8 on the "when what and why" thread.
~
I really do not understand why you are trying so hard to hurt the image of Taskent Picnic Area without even seeing the place.

We are a non-for-profit organization, any money we generate we use it towards environmental and nature education and protecting and saving wildlife.

We have put in so much time, effort and money in order to make the picnic area disabled friendly. Disabled area is and will always be a free secion of the picnic site together with adjacent disabled playground. There is also a cafeteria/restaurant and a market which is also disabled friendly.

I am not and cannot be claiming it is perfect for everyone, but I can guarantee you that there is no other picnic site like this one in this part of the world, let alone just Cyprus. We are even willing to improve upon things as we get feedback to make it even better.

I do not know what you are trying to achieve here but your remarks does not help at all to make this country a better place. Good initiatives such as Taskent Nature Park, which works tirelessly for improving wildlife, nature, environment, education, disabled access etc etc should be encouraged and supported, not boycotted.

A little over 4 months ago, when I was talking to a lady who brought in his 27 year old wheelchair needing brother to the picnic site and she was telling me how happy he was as he was on the wheelchair-swing for the first time in his life, she had watery eyes when talking about it, so had I.

Your comments really make us so sad, took me 2 hours just to write the bit of response above. I only wish other people on this form are more appreciative of the good things happening on this island. As for you, we dont give up on anyone, I am sure you will sooner or later realize just how wrong your reactions were towards the Nature Park and the Taskent Picnic Area.

K.
-----

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Ragged Robin wrote:
PoshinDevon wrote:RR

Not half as much as I am strugglling to understand your attitude Posh. I just cannot comprehend a decent person expecting disabled people (whatever the disability) to make a unnecessary journey and go to unnecesary expense to visit a facility where their disability might prohibit them from entry.

Hpwever I just do not have the time or health to keep repeating the same thing over and over again. I can only hope and pray that others here will have the compassion to continue to report conditions at all sorts of places for the benefit of the disadvantaged, including, disabled, frail elderly and children and carers, and incidentally none drivers.
I particularly want this to apply to Charities who arrange functions and am sad but think it is symptomatic that none have contributed..

What I really want is facilities to publish their provisions, or lack of (since somethimes it is impracticalble) so that suffers do not have unneccesary cost or pain or discomfort. AS this is unlikely I want members of this forum to report their experiences and warn us of pitfalls - as indeed they already sometimes for everyone's benefit in the case of for instance, poor parking provision or dangerous traffic conditions.

AS far as timing is concerned I had though about a separate board, and had "floated" the idea to see if I would get a favourable response from members" If Idid my intention had been to approach Soner on the subject and ask if the new board could be started in the New Year when members would have returned from Christmas holidays and it woudl get more attention in the dulll months. It would also have given me the chance to approach a couple of organisations concerned with the disabled and ask for their support and permission to describe their activities. However before I had the chance to do so someone (I think it was you) decided to place th board immediately which did not give me the chance to get it off to the right start.................... meanwhile Illness has intervened and prevented me from tryingt o redress that situation. However what is done is done and no use crying over spilt milk. CAn we now just concentrate please on trying to help and support the unfortunate and leave our own prejudcies out of it.
RR

Firstly the placement of the disabled section on the board was suggested by you. Moderators discussed the idea and thought it was worth implementing. Soner (Not me) then made the necessary changes to the forum.

The Taskent picnic area have provided details about there facilities, especially with disabled people in mind. It appears to me they would be more than happy to have constructive feedback from all their visitors.

Whilst people may visit and provide feedback they cannot understand your own personal circumstances and the only way to really know whether it is suitable for you is to go there yourself. As we all know disability comes in many forms so there is no one solution fits all. Instead of posting on the forum asking for feedback, why not email or pm the owner direct with your specific concerns and they can respond. From this you can make a more informed decision as to whether it meets your needs and is a suitable place for you to visit. If you did decide to visit and found that the facilities did not meet your needs you could then follow this up by contacting the owner again offering constructive feedback and suggestions. To just decide to boycott what is potentially a great venue really is strange.

It seems that whatever help or advice is offered there always seems to be a reason why it isn't good enough. That in itself is frustrating for all.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

I now wish I had not started the idea! This is doing more harm than good - not just to me but to the whole area of disability I am bitterly distressed and upset...Great start to the year - so many thanks.

I am not trying to harm the park or the picnic area. Is it so difficult to understand that some disabled people simply cannot be expected to take things on trust but need to be assured of access.

Please stop trying to ruin the thread and damage my health.

As I said above my boycotting the park will not have any effect - you underes timate the average Kibcomer if you think they will be influenced by me - they all are capable of making up their minds on the evidence provided - lets just make sure that in justice they have all the evidence.

Inote that there has still not been any response to my enquiry as the whether there will be a chance for part of the park to be accessible to wheelchairs and scooters. In would have loved to see it, but I would not in any case want to travel so far just for a picnic area and gift shop - however good it was!

Most disabled people do not want help - they want to be enabled to live normal lives. This includes being provided with information which they are unable to get themselves on which to base informed decisions on the where they can and cant go.

So simple - why is there so much opposition.

End of discussion as far as I am concerned. I have other things to do.

kbasat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

Post by kbasat »

Ragged Robin wrote:||:((

I now wish I had not started the idea! This is doing more harm than good - not just to me but to the whole area of disability I am bitterly distressed and upset...Great start to the year - so many thanks.

I am not trying to harm the park or the picnic area. Is it so difficult to understand that some disabled people simply cannot be expected to take things on trust but need to be assured of access.

As I said above my boycotting the park will not have any effect - you underes timate the average Kibcomer if you think they will be influenced by me - they all are capable of making up their minds on the evidence provided - lets just make sure that in justice they have all the evidence.

Inote that there has still not been any response to my enquiry as the whether there will be a chance for part of the park to be accessible to wheelchairs and scooters. In would have loved to see it, but I would not in any case want to travel so far just for a picnic area and gift shop - however good it was!

Most disabled people do not want help - they want to be enabled to live normal lives. This includes being provided with information which they are unable to get themselves on which to base informed decisions on the where they can and cant go.

I still do not understand what is it that you want from us to understand that we have a disabled access picnic site, and a disabled friendly cafe/restaurant/market with bathroom??? maybe I go tomorrow and take a video of the premises as I walk through the sections for you to watch?

As for the Nature Park, I already answered that question on post #3 above.

Thank you for your concern.

K.
-----

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Ragged Robin wrote:||:((

It seems to me that despite being offered information or suggestions they are never going to be enough. You seem to have made up your mind the fault is all with others so I give up.

Return to “DISABILITY MATTERS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”