Supreme disabled parking

Disability and mobility issues within the TRNC. Help and information from members regarding problems faced with access issues within the TRNC as well as other information required concerning disability matters.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Kath
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Supreme disabled parking

•   Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Kath »

I spoke to one of the sons of the owner the other day and suggested that the disabled parking spot needs to be wider. He listened to what I had to say but I am not sure that he agreed with me. Quite often their is a bike parked on one side and cars tend to park right on the white line. Let’s see.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Supreme disabled parking

•   Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

I have given up going to Supreme mainly because the parking is so difficult, but I also find the sloping floor inside difficul with the trolley (I use trolleys as a kind of Zimmer frame!). On one occasion I found a delivery van blocking the disabled space , when I tried to point out that it was for disabled people they denied knowledge of English, so I lead them and pointed out the sign in Turkish. They sort of apologised and moved the van, but I bet they do the same thing next time! Theone space is also very difficult to manoeuvre into and out of if the car on the left is large and has parked too close, which they usually do and are!

I usually find Sah best for disabled parking, six spaces and shaded, and those lovely easy trolleys. Worth spending a little extra (even for me) for the ease of shopping -just needs a little self-discipline to avoid the more tempting goodies!

Starling only has one disabled space, and they have ramps, but I have always managed to find a space directly in front of the store, and the ramps seem to hvee a hard non-slip surface which makes them easier to use with a trolley than th "astro turf" ? at some of the markets. They don't have the range of choice but have some good bargains from time to time, and the fruit and veg is quite good.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Erdener is quite good to

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Erdener is quite good too

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Sadly, just painting an outline of a wheelchair does not make a disabled parking space. My husband is not disabled as such. However he has one knee that despite having a replacement Operation, it was a complete failure and he cannot bend it. As a result he needs to be able to open the car doors to their maximum (try getting out of a car without bending your knee and see how much width is needed. Consequently we spend a lot of time driving around trying to find a suitable space to park.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Your post raises two very interesting points, Sophie.

Firstly what exactly is disablement? It ranges from someone like your husband who only need a little extra consideration in specific circumstances to the full range of totally wheelchair bound. It also ranges all types of physical disablement,, Disabled parking and wheelchair (or rather in my case scooter access) would make a world of difference to people like me. Others may need a lot more.

The second is the size of parking spaces. Most disabled people need a little more room to enable them to exit cars, but spaces here appear to be all one size, based on a standard saloon. To make matter worse most of the vehicles using them are lorries, vans or four by fours, and I think some of the latest oversized black beetles (fancy Mercs with black windows) take up more room. Most of these take more than a standard size parking space and the philosophy of their drivers seems to be "why block two spaces when with a little less thought you can block three"!!!!

Return to “DISABILITY MATTERS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”