Taxi with wheel chair access

Disability and mobility issues within the TRNC. Help and information from members regarding problems faced with access issues within the TRNC as well as other information required concerning disability matters.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Taxi with wheel chair access

•   Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

URGENTLY needed on a regular basis asap. It needs to be a taxi that has been modified to take someone who will need assistance in and out of taxi via wheelchair not one whereby the driver is used to helping patient in and out. I can't help feeling there must be a company in the TRNC who picks people up from Larnaca and Ercan airports. Thanks for your assistance.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Taxi with wheel chair access

•   Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

If you know of anyone who is wheelchair bound all the time, could you ask them how they get around if there is no one to help them and particularly their chair at the same time. Thanks

mermaidsexist
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

Post by mermaidsexist »

Mustafa Transfer has a transfer service, one of his new vehicles is wheelchair friendly with ramp etc. contact details below.

Mobile / Viber / WhatsApp : 00905338776378
email : [email protected]

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Thanks for that, someone will be in touch with them later today.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Sophie if that does not work out sent me a PM with your phone number. I have a friend who does a airport transfer service and has varous vehicles. He I transports my mobility scooter, but I can walk a little - I need to check if he can do full wheelchair service.

Meanwhile could someone kindly copy this to the Disability Section - this is the sort of information that it is was opened to record.

mermaidsexist
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

Post by mermaidsexist »

i have added to disability section Ragged Robin i seen on Facebook last year he added a new fully equipped vehicle to his fleet so hope this can be great help to people.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

Thank you very much mermaidsexist.

Incidentally if all else fails Cheshire Homes have a fully equipped disability user bus, . They might well be prepared to lend it to a needy person , particularly if a donation was made as they have problems in the cost of petrol, maintenace and updating it from time to time. BUT please check insurance cover.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Thanks for your replies. However the gentleman at Mustafa Transfer says he has sold the vehicle and isn't prepared to say to whom. Thanks also for recommending Cheshire Homes, but what is required is a vehicle/taxi type with all bells and whistles i.e. mechanized lift, folding electrified ramp etc that can be called upon three or four times a week. Airport transfers would be just one requirement. The person concerned cannot walk at all.

mermaidsexist
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

Post by mermaidsexist »

oh no, i had no idea he no longer had it. really sorry. i hope someone comes up with a vehicle that can be used real soon or comes along with a better suggestion than i had.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Hi there, don't worry mermaidS. Thanks for trying to help.. Funny he wasn't prepared to say who had bought the vehicle.. We're just assuming it was to a private person rather than another business.

Ragged Robin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Ragged Robin »

So sorry you could not get help so far Sophie, please let us know how you get on.

My friend says while he is willing and able to help people with limited movement (eg. able to walk or stand for a few minutes) he does not have a vehicle with a hoist or ramp suitable for transporting those total disability in their wheelchairs.

I think the problem may be that the cost of these vehicles exceeds any revenue likely to accrue from them. The Cheshire Home vehicle is of course a bus for carrying more than one and is used regularly for their own wheelchair bound clients. but I dont know the small print of the insurance policy. I do know that they had considerable trouble raising fund to replace the very old clapped out one (about the cost of a new up to the market merc, I suspect, grr) and continue to struggle to maintain the second hand one they eventually acquired.

There is an Association for the Disabled, I keep meaning to get in touch but something else always intervenes. I think it is mainly Turkish speaking, but may be worth you trying. Sorry I dont know how to contact them - maybe someone else here could help.

It would be interesting to know how many full time permanent wheelchair users there are, as opposed to those of us who need chairs, scooters or sticks for distance, but can stagger around house and garden, and transfer vehicles under our own steam.

Return to “DISABILITY MATTERS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”