Accidentally drove too fast; what to do?

Find out about the laws within the TRNC: Residency, Home Ownership, Work Permits, Visa's, Licenses, Speeding...etc.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Crazydre
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Accidentally drove too fast; what to do?

•   Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Crazydre »

On the Lefkosa-Girne motorway, I accidentally drove too fast before a camera and got caught (the max speed had been 100 km/h, but the camera suddenly stated 65 as the max - which I now know is the highest possible max at a camera - and the sign was just behind a bush).

I e-mailed the police (in Turkish) apologising for this and asked how much I'd have to pay and how, adding I'm a student with poor economy who really saved up for this trip, therefore hoping the fine isn't too high.

They usually take 3-4 weeks to reply, however, and still haven't.

Is the fine fixed (I think I drove 80-85 when the limit was 65), and if so, how high of a fine will I be given?

To clarify I'm leaving tomorrow morning and won't be back until next summer.

davedee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Accidentally drove too fast; what to do?

•   Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

Post by davedee »

No doubt get your little ticket when you come back to airport/crossing which will give you 48 hours to go to police station.

Crazydre
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Crazydre »

If I choose to ignore the fine (for example if I deem it too high), would that make it reasonably likely for me to refused entry in the future?

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

I would advise you to pay it, dodging it would mean paying more later. If you are old enough to drive a car, then you have to face the responsibility that comes with being a road user. Pleading that you are a student cuts no mustard, I'm afraid.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but welcome to grown up life.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

davedee wrote:No doubt get your little ticket when you come back to airport/crossing which will give you 48 hours to go to police station.
The ticket will be issued to whoever's name is on the kocan, and then they will inform the police who was driving and then an alert will be issued for you at the crossings and airports.

Navek
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Navek »

You obviously haven't watched Midnight Express!

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

Crazydre wrote:If I choose to ignore the fine (for example if I deem it too high), would that make it reasonably likely for me to refused entry in the future?
Yes and it will grow too. as they add the original fine on to a running total each month... so it only gets worse. This process does not start until you have been notified of the fine and don't pay it... so soon as you have been notified you have the chance to pay it at the lowest cost....

The way the lira is going you ought to be able to pay with the money from down the back of your sofa!

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Until they deliver the speeding notice to you by hand (or give you a notice at an immigration checkpoint) you cannot pay.

Once you have received and - signed for - official notification of the fine, then the clock starts ticking, the longer you leave it, the higher will be the amount that you have to pay.

All speed cameras are preceded by at least 3 warning signs by the roadside, so your complaint about 'the bush' won't work.

The speed cameras are there for a reason, and you should not really need a sign to warn you of the hazard if you are driving sensibly - the speed restrictions are normally protecting road junctions or built-up areas. Be more aware!

If you leave before receiving notification, then there will be no extra penalty as long as you pay it promptly when you are notified, but if you leave without paying, assuming that they actually allow you to leave, then you could face a huge bill upon your return, and be obliged to pay it immediately or be refused entry.

n.b. just saw Groucho's post, 100% agree

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

Just go to one of the main Police Stations with your log book, they will look up your registration on their computer.
If there is a fine Due you can pay it there and then.
The only problem is it can take sometime for the information to be added to the computer.

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

Do not waste your last day trying to pay a fine when you do not even know if a ticket will be issued or not!
I knew I had a ticket coming but the police just said 'come back in 2 months, ticket not issued yet' after the third time of doing this I insisted on paying which caused a bit of consternation but the policeman was very helpful & went round offices to be able to write it out for me.

I asked if I had incurred any points & I had but by this time - around 18 months had elapsed since the offence - they had expired so we had a laugh about that.

As said above, the ticket will be in the name of the registered owner of the car.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

I don't know if that camera is working properly, most of the time it is overgrown by the bush which would render it useless. If it did flash then you may be bang to rights. Has anyone else received a ticket from that camera? I always find it the easiest to slow down for, given its position and the long swoop down the hill.

Crazydre you are some crazy dude (in a nice way, of course).

Return to “LAW - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”