April 2019 - simplest way to get TV online please

Need advice on setting up your TV or Satellite in North Cyprus? Find out everything you need to know from experienced Kibkomers.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

mish
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

April 2019 - simplest way to get TV online please

•   Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

Post by mish »

We are in residence 2-3 times a year for a month at a time. We have a flat screen but non smart TV. We are online in our apartment and our site owner provides an effective wired connection with some very high speeds for those who need it.

So how do I go about buying the right gadgets to take out there with me, and can I set it all up without needing a technician ? We have no specific need for streaming service or exotic channels, just connect to some familiar freeview channels to keep us up-to-date with the world.

TIA
m

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Re: April 2019 - simplest way to get TV online please

•   Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

We are out a couple of times a year for 2-3 months each time.

Whilst I see you have a wired connection, as someone who has a router/WiFi in our property I can recommend the Amazon FireStick. Connects to our WiFi and gives us more than enough tv choices. Works very well most of the time.

Remember any device providing a tv service via the Internet will only be as good as the internet service being provided.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

mish
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

Post by mish »

Thanks for your prompt response.

I don't use a smart speaker, nor do I use Prime. But I guess if I buy the 4K version I will have all the necessary technology to achieve a good result.

Apologies for my poor description. Our internet is supplied via cable but we have a router and mostly use wifi like most people I guess.

m

turtle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

Post by turtle »

If you have a decent (and stable) internet connection then i would recommend this company..... https://www.entertainmentbox.com
Give them a call they are very helpful.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

Take a look at the FireStick.

It works for us and has more than enough channels plus extras such as The Grand Tour plus lots of boxed series tv programmes.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

mish
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

Post by mish »

Thank you both.

As I am new to this I really have no opinion!

I have a good internet connection which so far has done well for the usual laptop/tablet needs. But we can go to 20mb speed if required (I guess 10 will be good enough for general TV programmes). But I just want to plug and play to start off. So maybe the firestick would be the best place to start.

After a month's use then maybe my opinion might change and I can upgrade if I think it is necessary.

I will report back in time.
m

mish
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

Post by mish »

UPDATE

Well I have got it plugged-in, have hard wired to adjacent modem through firestick adaptor, with 10mb connection.

Have opened account with 'TV Player' yet cannot get live TV, but I get a message - 'unable to load stream CODE 403'.

TV Player support does not recognise the code.

Have I missed something please? Thanks
m

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

mish
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

Post by mish »

Thanks but that refers to browsing etc via a PC.

How does that translate to little old me with a firestick remote in my hand trying to use one of the major links on the firestick menu please?
m

Spurs Phil
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Spurs Phil »

Amazon 4K Firestick properly set up . Try Yen who posts on this forum , great service from the man who knows . Any internet based TV is only as good as the internet connection that you have . Good luck .

mish
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

Post by mish »

Thanks Phil. My connection is great and all my neighbours on this site also praise it. Viewing one long piece on Sky it spooled just for a few seconds, so the 10mb speed seems genuine enough. A friend told me that I need to go through a VPN as big brother is likely blocking the feed.
m

Spurs Phil
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Spurs Phil »

Speak to Yen if anyone can sort it out he can .

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

You should get pretty much most of what you need with a Firestick. We have been using one for nearly a year and can access all we need. There are however problems with UK TV as all of the channels can recognise that you are not in the UK. People will talk about you getting a VPN but be aware most of them are now beaten by the UK channels. We paid for a year for a highly recommended VPN and it does not fool them. OK it may hide what I do on the internet but to be honest I am not concerned if MI5 or the CIA are watching what I do.

You should be able to watch live UK TV through your firstick via Modbro which should already be installed. You will be unlikely to watch catch up TV though and that meant a problem with us as we don't do late nights so with the 2 hours difference anything we wanted to watch would be on at 11 until midnight.

We use Streamvia https://www.streamvia.com/ which costs £4.99 a month and you can pay for it when you want it so ideal for your needs. With that we can watch what we want when we want and it has a VPN included. Their customer service is very good and if you look on here for Streamvia you will find many more happy users.

You should not need to go to a bigger and better android system as Firestick should do all you need to do. There are some excellent videos here https://troypoint.com/ that show you how to get the best out of your Firestick as well. Ignore all references to Kodi unless you are very comfortable with faffing about for ages and stick with what are known as APK's that Troypoint will suggest such as Cinema HD and Cyberlink.

mish
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

Post by mish »

Thanks Chris,

Using the excellent - mytruemedia.com - website as a guide, I have downloaded Modbro via APK. Although I failed to delete the APK file as advised to save memory space.

I have yet to go through all the channels (can't find BBC 1 though), but at least Sky news seems to display well with live studio, tickers at the screen foot etc.

I come to the island for the archaeology, and not the TV, so catch-up is not important as most evenings we spend time researching and logging ancient sites etc that we are keen to visit. We just want to stay up-to-date with events etc. and watch anything else that may be on at the time we sit down for an evening g n t !

Thanks all for your help.
m

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

If you are into Archaeology you would be OK on catch up as most of the programmes are ancient anyway.

Return to “TV & SATELLITES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”