Revolut Card

All to do with money - Banks, Insurance, Savings, Exchange Rates...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Revolut Card

•   Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

Just ordered our Revolut cards.
Am I right in assuming,
We load the cards with Stirling from our UK accounts & spend in the currency of the country we are in & Revolut do the currency conversion.

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Revolut Card

•   Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

Correct. The spends are converted there and then and you are given the fx rate. However if you use it at weekends there is a 1.5% Load added to take account of when the markets open on a Monday.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

You also have the option to exchange Sterling into different currencies and have them in your account. Handy if you see that the £ to TL rate is good, and might be good to load for weekend use to avoid the load fee over the weekend. Not had my card for very long, so am sure others can give better advice on how to use it.

Fraser Property
Business contributing to forum
Business contributing to forum

•   Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Fraser Property »

Am I right to think that you can only apply for one of these cards if you have a UK address?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

Post by erol »

maryFM wrote:Am I right to think that you can only apply for one of these cards if you have a UK address?
I got one for me and one for my partner using my north cyprus address but a country of Cyprus (and not Turkey). They did not seem to mind that the mobile I was using was not a RoC one with a country code of Turkey and they had no problem sending the cards to a P.O. Box in the south even though that was not the address I registered with.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Mr Chinnery wrote:Correct. The spends are converted there and then and you are given the fx rate. However if you use it at weekends there is a 1.5% Load added to take account of when the markets open on a Monday.
Sorry to be pedantic but the weekend 'load' is 0.5% for major currencies and 1% for all other currencies. More info here

https://www.revolut.com/help/getting-st ... ill-i-get/

Studleyjupiter
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Studleyjupiter »

I am trying to get a physical Revolut card sent out to my UK address but every time the app process says free Card then takes me to upgrade the account to premium £6.99 a month or Metal £12.99 a month ....all I want is to get the FREE CARD dispatched to my address ,I don't want to UPGRADE the account ,did the other REVOLUT customers have this problem.
Is there a simple way of just getting the FREE card delivery actioned.
TIA.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Studleyjupiter wrote:I am trying to get a physical Revolut card sent out to my UK address but every time the app process says free Card then takes me to upgrade the account to premium £6.99 a month or Metal £12.99 a month ....all I want is to get the FREE CARD dispatched to my address ,I don't want to UPGRADE the account ,did the other REVOLUT customers have this problem.
Is there a simple way of just getting the FREE card delivery actioned.
TIA.
The offer of a free physical card and free delivery is dependant on taking a paid subscription. If you just want the vanilla revolut, no monthly fee, service then you do have to pay for the physical card delivery fee.

Studleyjupiter
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Studleyjupiter »

OK no problem but I am not been given that option.?
Am I missing something or not pressing the right buttons.?
TIA

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Studleyjupiter wrote:OK no problem but I am not been given that option.?
TIA

It is been a while and I do not recall exactly but I do recall having the same 'problem'. From my shaky memory though do not touch / select the 'free card' options ? Sorry that is about the best I can do.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

The thing to remember about this is.... don't use your Revolut card for major transactions at the weekend.... OK a bit of food shopping and meals out etc. but don't buy a major appliance in a non-UK country on Saturday or Sunday... by Monday you might think better of it anyway!

My Revolut is my new best friend - but I am learning how to get the best out of her/him.

Misswolves
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Misswolves »

If you have a UK address, better to get a Starling Card.
You can have an overdraft, take money out at MasterCard rates (it’s a debit MasterCard) so no currency conversion fees.
It’s app based so as you are completing your purchase the converted amount pings to your phone.
Then you just move the equivalent sterling across.
I’ve taken money out with it from Barbados to Azerbaijan and in between and it’s fabulous.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

erol wrote:
maryFM wrote:Am I right to think that you can only apply for one of these cards if you have a UK address?
I got one for me and one for my partner using my north cyprus address but a country of Cyprus (and not Turkey). They did not seem to mind that the mobile I was using was not a RoC one with a country code of Turkey and they had no problem sending the cards to a P.O. Box in the south even though that was not the address I registered with.
Just coming back to this topic. I tried yesterday to help a friend to register and it would not accept the Turkey area code for the phone stating that it is out of the EU. Wouldn't let us go any further at all. I am thinking maybe register it with a UK phone and then change the phone once registered.

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

I have a Transferwise account/card which works the same as Revolut. My husband just applied for a card and it came within a couple of days at no extra charge for delivery. We registered with a UK address but local mobile numbers.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Chriswright03 wrote:Just coming back to this topic. I tried yesterday to help a friend to register and it would not accept the Turkey area code for the phone stating that it is out of the EU. Wouldn't let us go any further at all. I am thinking maybe register it with a UK phone and then change the phone once registered.
I used for myself and several others my (their) local address but with a country of Cyprus and was able to register and get cards doing this even though the mobile number I registered with was a Turkish one. HTH

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

It was from reading your experience before Erol that I thought it should be possible. Alas first thing you do is enter a phone number and it comes up with No as you are not in the EU. Don't even get the option to register.

Saddique
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Saddique »

Studleyjupiter wrote:
Fri 28 Jun 2019 9:20 pm
OK no problem but I am not been given that option.?
TIA
Try just opting for the Virtual card only and complete the process to open account and add money and don't worry about the physical card for now.

Once you are all set up then you can order the physical card which costs £4.99 for UK delivery - not sure about TRNC delivery

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

As a further jolly good reason why we should all consider having a Revolut Card....

Following the inevitable cancellation of this year's Kuskor Big Birding Weekend, we have needed to refund deposits by bank transfer, one to a bank in Austria for which Lloyds Bank wanted to charge £15... so we transferred the sum to my Revolut account, I then did the conversion to Euros at a favourable rate and made a transfer with IBAN & BIC codes... no charge no bother.

Return to “FINANCE - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”