TEB ATM withdrawals (or not)

All to do with money - Banks, Insurance, Savings, Exchange Rates...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

choc ice
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

TEB ATM withdrawals (or not)

•   Message 1 of 22 in Discussion

Post by choc ice »

Hi, tried to withdraw sterling and TL from two different TEB ATM’s yesterday and at point of processing the transaction message displayed said something about not being able to make contact with my bank at that time. Has anyone else had this or knows whether there’s a problem. I haven’t tried another banks ATM as they charge for sterling withdrawals, thanks

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: TEB ATM withdrawals (or not)

•   Message 2 of 22 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Did you check to see if your UK bank had any down time? I noticed a message on my phone yesterday saying that there would be downtime yesterday for Mastercard but not Visa on Revolut card, but didn't pay particular attention as it wasn't relevant.

Kanonier
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Kanonier »

I've experienced that with Garanti bank, could be that the Internet is down or there is no money in the ATM, or both. ATMs are normally replenished on a Monday, try tomorrow.

ifonly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 22 in Discussion

Post by ifonly »

I had the same problem on Thursday with the one at Karakum Lemar. It said your bank has declined the transaction please contact your bank. I rang HSBC and there was no record of any attempt by me to withdraw any money and there was no " decline" or problem with my card.
The following day we tried the ATM outside TEB Bank - it worked fine.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 22 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Its my experience (at first it really worried me but it doesn't now) i.e. message saying "cannot make contact with your bank, or your bank has declined this transaction. It turned out on both occasions that there was insufficient cash in the ATM.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

That machine is heavily used not surprising it runs out of cash quickly.

Steve C
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Steve C »

I used the one in Karakum near Lemar yesterday, no problem.

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 22 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

Had the same problem with the Alsancak one today. Having just checked my UK a/c balance it looks like they may have debited my a/c judging by what's available. I won't be able to see for definite until tomorrow. Has anybody else had this with TEB and if so how did you resolve it?

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 22 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

JoandJelly wrote:Had the same problem with the Alsancak one today. Having just checked my UK a/c balance it looks like they may have debited my a/c judging by what's available. I won't be able to see for definite until tomorrow. Has anybody else had this with TEB and if so how did you resolve it?
Yes, it's happened to me a few times causing a bit of a panic but so far it's resolved itself by the next day. It seems like a preauthorisation that then doesn't get actioned.

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 22 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

Thank you so much for putting my mind at rest. Fingers crossed it will have disappeared overnight!

RAZR63
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 22 in Discussion

Post by RAZR63 »

Over the past few weeks TEB has been limiting the amount I can withdraw daily. I used to be able to withdraw £300 daily easily. Today it would only let me withdraw £50! Anyone else experiencing this? Yes I have funds in my UK bank........

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

I got 300 on Tuesday at the main branch.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 13 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

RAZR63 wrote:Over the past few weeks TEB has been limiting the amount I can withdraw daily. I used to be able to withdraw £300 daily easily. Today it would only let me withdraw £50! Anyone else experiencing this? Yes I have funds in my UK bank........
I've experienced something similar - after several consecutive daily withdrawals of £500,TEB ATMs stopped letting me use one particular card, although the card still worked OK in other ATMS, and another card still got cash from the TEB ATMs. After a week or so, the original card started working again.

Perhaps the intent was to curb excessive use by individuals...

RAZR63
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 22 in Discussion

Post by RAZR63 »

Keithcaley wrote:
RAZR63 wrote:Over the past few weeks TEB has been limiting the amount I can withdraw daily. I used to be able to withdraw £300 daily easily. Today it would only let me withdraw £50! Anyone else experiencing this? Yes I have funds in my UK bank........
I've experienced something similar - after several consecutive daily withdrawals of £500,TEB ATMs stopped letting me use one particular card, although the card still worked OK in other ATMS, and another card still got cash from the TEB ATMs. After a week or so, the original card started working again.

Perhaps the intent was to curb excessive use by individuals...
I don't have that much money Keith .........

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 22 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

I went to draw Sterling from the TEB machine at Karakum today. An English gentleman who was using it, told me it wasn't giving him Sterling, but it did show Sterling available. Turns out he had been drawing out Sterling on a daily/frequent basis, and he knew of others who had the same problem. I tried it, and it worked for me and got out £300. Appears Keith's theory is right that they are limiting overuse of cards.

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

TEB place a limit of about €1500 per month!!

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 22 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

Mimi2 wrote:TEB place a limit of about €1500 per month!!
Does anyone know what constitutes a month? I was unable to withdraw cash today but haven't made any withdrawals so far in September. My husband had no problem so there was definitely sterling available.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 18 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Not sure exactly, but based on my own experience with TEB ATM's, I suspect that it is a 'rolling 30 day period'

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 22 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

Use a revlout card for most purchases. Then don't need to draw so much stirling to convert to beer chits!!!

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 22 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Agree that the Revolut card is great for paying for most things. Unfortunately, still need cash when you have someone do a bit of work in the house or garden.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 22 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

alphamike wrote:Agree that the Revolut card is great for paying for most things. Unfortunately, still need cash when you have someone do a bit of work in the house or garden.
On the free option you can take out the equivalent of two hundred pounds in lire each month.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 22 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Thanks EnjoyingTheSun, I do know that, which is normally great and enough to do. Unfortunately this month, need more than that, so did manage to get Sterling from TEB ATM this morning, and will have to pay £1.50 to my UK bank, but at least not the huge amount that a lot of the ATM's are charging nowadays. Spoke to one chap this morning, who told me that he was charged £12.50 by one of the other banks ATM's here. Ouch!

Return to “FINANCE - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”