a.t.m's

All to do with money - Banks, Insurance, Savings, Exchange Rates...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

whatnochips
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

a.t.m's

•   Message 1 of 38 in Discussion

Post by whatnochips »

is there any atms that pay sterling with no commition as keb near karakum lemars has stopped.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: a.t.m's

•   Message 2 of 38 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

whatnochips wrote:...as keb near karakum lemars has stopped.
"Has stopped" WHAT exactly?

Issuing Sterling?

Issuing Sterling without an extra charge for the service?

I take it that you are referring to TEB by the way - yes?

Bear in mind that machines do often run out of Sterling, in which case you will not be offered the option on the ATM screen...

I have also heard of a case where someone had made repeated large Sterling withdrawals from one particular machine on consecutive days, and subsequently found that the card that they had used was no longer offered the option to withdraw Sterling from that machine, although a different Bank Card was!

Go figure!

jackvern
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 38 in Discussion

Post by jackvern »

Sorry to hear that. I withdrew money yesterday from this ATM and had no charge. I used a Barclaycard debit.
This was my last hope as Garantee started charging a few months ago. I wonder if it’s all cards? The banks have got us by the nuts. More fees in conversion and transfer charges.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 38 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

jackvern wrote:...The banks have got us by the nuts...
There are alternatives to withdrawing ALL of your cash in Sterling, and then converting it into TL locally.

Revolut cards for one...

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 38 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Is bank charge £7.50 to take sterling they also charge 25tl to withdraw tl.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 38 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

I am stuck with my uk debit card to withdraw money so have to swallow the fee. Never go to the uk and dont intend to so changing anything is difficult.

ThePresident
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 38 in Discussion

Post by ThePresident »

I brought sterling with me and each time visitors are planned I transfer money to them and get them to bring sterling out for me.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 38 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

You're lucky to be in that position ThePresident, most of us are not and have to swallow the pill. I have two UK banks and two here in the TRNC and both are now charging the 7.5%. I think TEB was the last to join the merry throng. However, I know one person who avoids it and quite legally. He opened an account in a bank in London that only has 3 or 4 branches. Pensions etc are paid into the London branch. Money is then transferred to one of their branches locally and he draws out as an when at a very low percentage. That at least is my understanding.

whatnochips
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 38 in Discussion

Post by whatnochips »

got £500 out of t.e.b in karakum with no charge.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 38 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

What!!! Absolutely no percentage charge from anyone?? Do you have a TEB card and asked for Tl? I can do that, but that wasn't the original query.

jackvern
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 38 in Discussion

Post by jackvern »

Used T.E.B cash point at Lemar Karakum drew out sterling on Barclaycard debit. No charge.
What other cards are people using. I certainly had no problems with mine.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 38 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

I drew out Sterling from the TEB ATM at Karakum using Bank of Scotland debit card last week, with no charge at the ATM, but will be charged by the BoS.
If the ATM has run out of Sterling, it simply doesn't show Sterling as an option until it's topped up again.

I thought that the major problem people were having here, is that many of the ATM's are charging for taking out Sterling, whilst also being charged by their UK bank, albeit I do know that some UK banks allow free withdrawals. TEB seem to be the only one left, that I am aware of, who doesn't charge at this end. Would be very happy to be wrong in this.

I have a Revolut card, which I have not yet used to withdraw cash from an ATM. Am reluctant to do so, as I use it for shopping, and wary of it being swallowed up by an ATM. I've been stung before, and had to wait a good while to get my card back. Will be applying for another Revolut card, so that I have a backup, should a card be swallowed again.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 38 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

Alfa get an HBOS halifax Clarity credit card no charge for cash withdrawls

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 38 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Thanks for that Wanderer, will look into it when back in UK.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 38 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Just another query in relation to this ATM. Has anyone else had a problem getting English on the screen? Friend of mine today couldn't get it to change language and it only offered tl.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 38 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Never had a problem getting English on the TEB machine at Karakum. If TL was all that was offered, there was no Sterling in the machine. It must be a popular machine for Sterling, as there are very few left that don't charge.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 38 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Learn to do it in turkish I did.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 38 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

Bottom right of the screen changes language (Tip from Posh in Devon)

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 38 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Another query about the Revolut card please. If I take out TL rather than Sterling, do the ATM's here make a charge?

I know that TEB don't charge for withdrawals in Sterling so far, but to my knowledge, all of the other ATM's now do, but do the others make a charge for taking out TL with a "foreign" card?

Revolut seems to give a better rate than the exchange places, so would make sense to take out TL rather than Sterling, particularly if there was no charge by the ATM.
I haven't used the Revolut card to take out cash so far, just in case it gets eaten by an ATM, and couldn't do without it now. So thought that having a second Revolut card would be handy for using at an ATM taking out TL providing there wasn't a charge.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 20 of 38 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

alphamike, I did once draw out Euros instead of Sterling (the ATM didn't have Sterling, which was what I really wanted, and I persuaded the person who I needed to pay to accept Euros instead ) - and to the best of my recollection, I got a good exchange rate from Sterling (with which my Revolut card was loaded) and there wasn't any separate charge made by Revolut for the withdrawal...

I don't see why a TL withdrawal would be any different, so I can only suggest that you actually try it - say on 100TL or so, and see what happens.

Any charge on 100TL is not going to be very large, and at least you will have learnt something...

Please keep us posted!

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 21 of 38 in Discussion

Post by erol »

If the local bank is to charge for an ATM withdrawal I believe that is has to warn you this is the case and give you the option to not go ahead.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 38 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Thanks KC, that is helpful. I certainly will try when I have my back up card. I still wonder though if there are any other banks here than TEB, that do not charge for TL withdrawals using a "foreign card" at ATM's.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 38 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Thanks Erol.

pingpong007
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 38 in Discussion

Post by pingpong007 »

TEB ATM at Karakum was not working as of 3rd July. Message on screen 'awaiting repair come back later.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 38 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

wanderer wrote:Bottom right of the screen changes language (Tip from Posh in Devon)
It was me that gave the tip to Posh in another thread but a friend was unable to see the option. I explained where it was ie bottom right hand corner and he said nothing came up hence me asking if anyone else had a problem. It would seem though from Pingpong007 that it is not working at the moment.
TEB ATM at Karakum was not working as of 3rd July. Message on screen 'awaiting repair come back later.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 38 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Turk Bank dont charge to withdraw TL using a uk card.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 38 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Thanks Deniz1.

pingpong007
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 38 in Discussion

Post by pingpong007 »

TEB ATM Karakum as of 4th July now working. Withdrew £500 no additional charge.

RAZR63
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 38 in Discussion

Post by RAZR63 »

Deniz1 wrote:Turk Bank dont charge to withdraw TL using a uk card.
I presume that your UK bank does?

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 38 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Deniz1 was answering my query re which banks here don't charge for taking TL out with a foreign card, in my case a Revolut card, which won't incur extra charges at the Revolut end. My HBOS card certainly would incur charges if I took out TL.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 38 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Yes it does but thats not the question I was answering.

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 32 of 38 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

Hi all,

I used to have Post Office Money Card but that was waste of time. Pre-load it with Tl before you go on holiday and then you get charged to withdraw Tl from the atm's anyway, because although there is Tl on the card, the atm's seem to only recognise it as a UK card??? Also had problems using it 95% of the time which is not ideal if it's all you have filing up with fuel miles from anywhere.

I have a Monzo account now which appears to be similar to Revolut except that paying by card is always free wherever you are in the world, which i assume would include weekends. Probably a few other differences as well such as with transferring money abroad. Never had any problems using it either, 100% acceptance. I've not tried withdrawing money from TRNC atm's yet so not sure whether it will give me Sterling or Tl but i'll find out next time.

Would i be right in saying that some people (perhaps whom live there) want to withdraw Sterling as it is widely accepted in TRNC, because i can't understand why if you live there, only assuming you have a local bank account, do you not withdraw in Tl?

Only asking as eventually it will help long term when we move out there. Got a Villa in the throws of purchasing at the moment, and possibly a little White Escudo.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 38 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

MnM
If your income say a pension is in Sterling you need to withdraw it for living expenses

Bank to Bank transfers are expensive and have a habit of getting lost between Turkey and TRNC banks
Not permanently but enough to cause pain

If you have a Nationwide flex account you can withdraw sterling free of charge from Nationwide
So you withdraw Sterling and go to the money exchange and get a good exchange rate

The problem has arisen that TRNC banks are now charging fees for cash-point withdrawals
You are best having a number of accounts with different providers and using credit cards that do not charge fees and give a good exchange rate (business exchange rate) such as Nationwide credit card and Halifax Clarity card

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 34 of 38 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

Ah ok, thanks for that wanderer. As it happens i do have both Nationwide Flex+ and Halifax current accounts in UK. I wont be drawing pension for some time so no doubt things will change much by then.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 38 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

MnM not the Halifax current account they charge for withdrawals abroad even sterling
The Halifax Clarity credit card
https://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/l ... 8TEALw_wcB

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 36 of 38 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

Ok i'm with you. I was thinking that my Monzo card can do that but not with the cash withdrawal limit, so this could be good to transfer money into from Monzo if needed for larger or more regular amounts which would then be interest free if always in credit. Either way it's all good to know so many thanks.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 37 of 38 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

If you have a pension paid into a UK bank, get a revolut card and load it up via your UK bank account. You can use the card everywhere and can draw the equivalent of two hundred pounds a month in lire free from an ATM. If you need more cash you can upgrade from the free option and for 7 euros a month you can draw four hundred pounds in lire. The rate you are given is virtually the mid rate so you'll get more lire than using a money exchange. Or if you are a couple get a card each and stay with the free option.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 38 of 38 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

Starling card is good you dont have to load it

Return to “FINANCE - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”