TEB Bank now charging?

All to do with money - Banks, Insurance, Savings, Exchange Rates...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Mr Chinnery
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: TEB Bank now charging?

•   Message 51 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Mr Chinnery »

Brazen 303tl is just over 15% on 2000tl

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 52 of 123 in Discussion

Post by erol »

I can 'move' sterling from a UK bank account to here as physical sterling cash, currently up to the amount of £2000, for a fee of 0.5% if anyone is interested and willing to 'trust' me enough.

We would need to meet up physically (I live west side and am in Girne usually a couple of times a week). You would transfer a sterling amount, plus the 0.5% fee to my UK account. As soon as it arrives in my UK account (usually takes less than minute with sterling UK account to UK account transfers) I then hand over the sterling cash to you there and then. So for example if you transferred £100.50 in to my UK account , I in turn will give you £100 in sterling cash. PM me is you are interested.

COG
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 53 of 123 in Discussion

Post by COG »

It does seem to be a specific issue with the ATMs here charging lot for cash withdrawals in any currency. We also have an Irish account with AIB which, like Ulsterbank, charged a minimal FX fee, and gave a good rate for Euro/TL.
Although I have now opened a Starling card account it DOES appear that there is still a minimum of 2% charge for withdrawal at the ATM. Unless anyone knows different? Is there variation at different ATMs?
We may have to start taking regular strolls across the border to take out Euro for exchange, rather than paying the banks exorbitant costs.

Holly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 54 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Holly »

COG

What banks would you use to do that in the South ?

COG
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 55 of 123 in Discussion

Post by COG »

As we are part of the eurozone in Ireland we can take our euros from any atms in the south without charge. Then bring over & change to tl. Bit of a faff though

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 56 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

We can also spend our Euro with our Irish bank card in the shops over there! No exchange or bank charges. It’s just like shopping at home.

Hilltop
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 57 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Hilltop »

I just use my Nationwide credit card for almost everything. No charges and a very good exchange rate....Need very very few actual tl or euro.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 58 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Hi Hilltop, is that just a standard (black) Nationwide credit card, or one of the other types?

Hilltop
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 59 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Hilltop »

Keithcaley wrote:Hi Hilltop, is that just a standard (black) Nationwide credit card, or one of the other types?
It's a silver Select card, which cost us nothing to get (years ago).

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 60 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Thank you for that, Hilltop

Maisiemoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 61 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Maisiemoo »

Halifax Clarity Card is very good too and consistently comes out top with MSE.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 62 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Right!

I've been out 'experimenting'...

I tried withdrawing TL from the Lapta Ziraat Bank ATM, and the ATM charged me 4%, and gave me an exchange rate of about 6.83 TL to 1 GBP, whereas the Revolut rate was about 6.95 - so that wasn't good!

I then realised that the ATM had actually charged me in GBP, because although I have a TL account on my Revolut card, it only had a couple of TL in it.

So, on the Revolut App on my 'phone, I exchanged some Sterling into TL, and tried again, asking for 100 TL.

Bingo! - although the ATM screen advised me of a 4% charge, it did not in fact apply a charge, and simply debited my card with the exact amount of TL which I had requested. I checked my Revolut app, and sure enough, the TL account had been debited with just 100TL.

On the way back, I tried a Bankamatic ATM (İŞ Bank) and although there was still plenty of TL on my card, it charged me 3.75% - it did warn me first, but mindfull of the Ziraat ATM, I carried on to check whether it would actually charge me, and of course it did.

Lastly I withdrew 100TL from the İktisat Bank ATM and it gave me 100TL with no charges and no warnings.

Revolut did not apply any charges on any of the transactions, as I had stayed well under the £200 ceiling, and in future I will probably use the İktisat Bank ATM, as it's just around the corner, and try to ensure that I use my Revolut card for purchases as much as possible, and see whether I can manage on £200 worth of TL in actual cash.

I notice that there is a facility on the Revolut App to set up an 'Automatic Exchange' when a particular currency account falls below a predetermined level, and I may well make use of that - I already allow the Revolut GBP account to top itself up automatically from my UK Bank account, so it will be interesting to see how it all interacts!

If you have a different experience, please let us know

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 63 of 123 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

Experiment time Just spent a few lira on my Clarity card and got 7.02 to the £
Changed money at the exchange bureau and got 6.95 to the £ answers is plastic every time

When dining out with friends split the bill and pay with your card

Dam the banks the robbing B s

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 64 of 123 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Experiment: My mate is out here on holiday at the moment, he gave me £500 in GBP and I transfered the same amount from my account (UK) to his account (UK) - no charges made - lol.

Sorry, I know it was not a real experiment but as I am not a financial wizard and get paid into a UK bank in Sterling yet draw it from an ATM here because I pay for everything in TL (cash) I still think that the TEB charge for Sterling withdrawal is worth it at the moment, I can suffer the £30 a month loss for the ease of using that system. Must admit I am interested in Erol's offer mind you!!!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 65 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

But why would one not do it the way I do with Euro? If you’re paying £30 per month to get your TL from Stg£ simply transfer a sufficient amount of Stg (or more if you are able and keep it in an interest earning savings account) each month to a TRNC Sterling current account, pay the transfer charge (which in my experience is less than £30) and change it at the bank’s exchange rate into TL, or withdraw it as Sterling and change it at the döviz. I suspect the total cost would be cheaper than the £30.

Or am I missing something?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 66 of 123 in Discussion

Post by erol »

waddo wrote:Experiment: My mate is out here on holiday at the moment, he gave me £500 in GBP and I transfered the same amount from my account (UK) to his account (UK) - no charges made - lol.

Must admit I am interested in Erol's offer mind you!!!
My 'offer' is pretty similar to your experiment to be honest, though not quite 0 fees . I have some sterling here on deposit that it would be vaguely useful for me to move to my UK account but not really pressing or anything. Hence the offer.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 67 of 123 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

Just for Information :-

Revolut Card, Just tried to open an account with them AND.

Oops! Something went wrong
Sorry, Revolut is currently only available to residents of the European Economic Area. We're expanding globally very soon!

I already have a TransferWise card that is recognized in Turkey and all SMS are received to my Turkcell phone.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 68 of 123 in Discussion

Post by erol »

tutor4u wrote:Just for Information :-

Sorry, Revolut is currently only available to residents of the European Economic Area. We're expanding globally very soon!

I already have a TransferWise card that is recognized in Turkey and all SMS are received to my Turkcell phone.
http://www.kibkomnorthcyprusforum.com/v ... 03#p233903

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 69 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

So they have decided we are no longer in the EU?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 70 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Deniz1 wrote:So they have decided we are no longer in the EU?
I think that what erol was saying is that if you put 'Cyprus' as the Country in your address, then whatever clerk processes your application will see it as being an 'EU address', whereas if you use 'Mersin 10, Turkey' they won't have a clue that you're actually in Cyprus, they'll just think 'Turkey' - non-EU - they don't actually know anything about the situation, they're just sat there processing forms!

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 71 of 123 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

erol wrote:
tutor4u wrote:Just for Information :-

http://www.kibkomnorthcyprusforum.com/v ... 03#p233903
Seems to have changed since you applied Erol, first thing it does is to request a phone number, Cyprus is +357 I want to send SMS to +90.

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 72 of 123 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

It must have changed very recently, several friends have used a Turkcell phone number and UK address without problem. Obviously, you need to get the card from that address to here...

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 73 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

I recently (last week) changed the 'phone that I had the app installed on from one with a UK SIM to one with a Turkcell SIM - 0090 533 xxx xxxx - and Revolut customer service were perfectly happy to help me to register the Turkcell number.

Apparently I should have changed the 'phone number before I installed the app on the 'new' 'phone, but the fact that it wasn't a UK or GC/EU number did not bother them in the slightest!

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 74 of 123 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Keithcaley wrote:Right!

I've been out 'experimenting'...

I tried withdrawing TL from the Lapta Ziraat Bank ATM, and the ATM charged me 4%, and gave me an exchange rate of about 6.83 TL to 1 GBP, whereas the Revolut rate was about 6.95 - so that wasn't good!

I then realised that the ATM had actually charged me in GBP, because although I have a TL account on my Revolut card, it only had a couple of TL in it.

So, on the Revolut App on my 'phone, I exchanged some Sterling into TL, and tried again, asking for 100 TL.

Bingo! - although the ATM screen advised me of a 4% charge, it did not in fact apply a charge, and simply debited my card with the exact amount of TL which I had requested. I checked my Revolut app, and sure enough, the TL account had been debited with just 100TL.

On the way back, I tried a Bankamatic ATM (İŞ Bank) and although there was still plenty of TL on my card, it charged me 3.75% - it did warn me first, but mindfull of the Ziraat ATM, I carried on to check whether it would actually charge me, and of course it did.

Lastly I withdrew 100TL from the İktisat Bank ATM and it gave me 100TL with no charges and no warnings.

Revolut did not apply any charges on any of the transactions, as I had stayed well under the £200 ceiling, and in future I will probably use the İktisat Bank ATM, as it's just around the corner, and try to ensure that I use my Revolut card for purchases as much as possible, and see whether I can manage on £200 worth of TL in actual cash.

I notice that there is a facility on the Revolut App to set up an 'Automatic Exchange' when a particular currency account falls below a predetermined level, and I may well make use of that - I already allow the Revolut GBP account to top itself up automatically from my UK Bank account, so it will be interesting to see how it all interacts!

If you have a different experience, please let us know
Thanks for the update Keith. Sorry, I had no idea that Ziraat bank would charge with the Revolut card with money being in Sterling on the card. I usually keep an eye on the rate and transfer to TL every so often trying to get the best rate, so that I always have TL on my card as well as Sterling. I take it you did press NO when the ATM comes up with all the blurb about interest rates and do you want their exchange rate? Am taking it that you did, as you managed to get money out with no charge when you had TL in your Revolut account. Interesting to find that out though, so we are now all aware. Thank you. Also good to know that Iktisat Bank do not charge for taking out TL on the Revolut card. Were your funds in TL or Sterling for that one?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 75 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

alphamike,
I take it you did press NO when the ATM comes up with all the blurb about interest rates and do you want their exchange rate?
The screen on this particular machine is rather faded, and in Turkish, so I may have missed this question, I certainly do not remember seeing it on this occasion, so I may well have inadvertently pressed 'Yes' .
Am taking it that you did, as you managed to get money out with no charge when you had TL in your Revolut account.
After topping up the TL on my card, I noticed that the transaction seemed to be a little faster - 'somewhat shorter', this may be due to the fact that once the ATM saw that there was TL available, it simply skipped the bit about the exchange rate as it would have been irrelevant. That's just a guess of course, and I could be wrong.

After the first attempt, when I was charged for the transaction, I transferred enough TL onto the card account to more than cover all of my subsequent withdrawals.

The Bankamatic / İş Bank ATM did ask the question (in English) about using their exchange rates etc. to which I answered 'No', but the İktisat Bank ATM didn't ask, it simply dispensed the TL with no fuss and no charges.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 76 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to put tl onto my Revolut card as well as Sterling?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 77 of 123 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Chriswright03 wrote:I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to put tl onto my Revolut card as well as Sterling?
From within the revolut app just change some amount of an en existing currency, Sterling or Euro or any other, that you have there to TL. Hey presto you have TL on your revolut card and that can be withdrawn via an ATM here , without charge if you use the right ATM and stay under revolut's monthly limits for cash withdrawal.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 78 of 123 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Keithcaley wrote: The screen on this particular machine is rather faded, and in Turkish, so I may have missed this question, I certainly do not remember seeing it on this occasion, so I may well have inadvertently pressed 'Yes' .
After topping up the TL on my card, I noticed that the transaction seemed to be a little faster - 'somewhat shorter', this may be due to the fact that once the ATM saw that there was TL available, it simply skipped the bit about the exchange rate as it would have been irrelevant. That's just a guess of course, and I could be wrong.

After the first attempt, when I was charged for the transaction, I transferred enough TL onto the card account to more than cover all of my subsequent withdrawals.

The Bankamatic / İş Bank ATM did ask the question (in English) about using their exchange rates etc. to which I answered 'No', but the İktisat Bank ATM didn't ask, it simply dispensed the TL with no fuss and no charges.

Bearing in mind, this is completely from memory on the Ziraat ATM. Once you key in your PIN, the very bottom right hand side on screen gives you "other Languages" and then choose whatever, obviously English for me.
Then comes all the blurb about % rates, press the NO button at left hand bottom of screen. The Yes button is on the right hand side, you don't want the bank converting at their exchange rate.

First time I used the machine, I panicked when I saw all the blurb and high rates and pressed No, thinking that I was cancelling the transaction, and out came TL with no charge by ATM or Revolut, so it was handy to have the brief panic for the knowledge learned. I haven't tried with only Sterling on my Revolut card. Very useful to know that Iktisat bank don't charge.

I was thinking that even if you need more than £200 per month, it would be worth paying the 2% interest with your Revolut card, taking TL out, rather than paying the charges for taking out Sterling at the various ATM's.

Incidentally, I noticed someone had said they were charged a high fee for taking out 4000TL. I've checked on the websites of a few banks, but not all here, and the limit seems to be 1500 TL daily, and you will be charged for taking over that, so worth bearing in mind. Probably better taking out the 1500 TL limit over a few days if you can. Probably a good idea to check out individual bank websites for details.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 79 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

erol wrote:
Chriswright03 wrote:I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to put tl onto my Revolut card as well as Sterling?
From within the revolut app just change some amount of an en existing currency, Sterling or Euro or any other, that you have there to TL. Hey presto you have TL on your revolut card and that can be withdrawn via an ATM here , without charge if you use the right ATM and stay under revolut's monthly limits for cash withdrawal.

Cheers Erol as helpful as ever. Will have a look at that.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 80 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

I’ve had a revolut card for about a year now and still not got a clue how to use it

Navek
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

TEB Bank now charging?

•   Message 81 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Navek »

Hi Trigger,
Edited

"To receive help with your Revolut account,
please get in touch with our in-app support staff who are available 24/7 to help you!

In the Revolut app,
Go to Dashboard
Tap on the '?' icon
Swipe down
Chat to us.
Type "live agent" into chat and an agent will be with you as soon as they are able to."

Revolut Facebook...
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=revolut%20

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 82 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Navek wrote:Hi Trigger,
Edited

"To receive help with your Revolut account,
please get in touch with our in-app support staff who are available 24/7 to help you!

In the Revolut app,
Go to Dashboard
Tap on the '?' icon
Swipe down
Chat to us.
Type "live agent" into chat and an agent will be with you as soon as they are able to."

Revolut Facebook...
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=revolut%20

Tried the chat facility on the app but didn’t get anywhere. It was all automated responses and not very helpful.

Just cannot get my head round the fact that I have three currencies to contend with. I think I should have set up the card in the currency I get paid in, not GBP. If I add cash from my UK bank, I’ve already taken the exchange rate hit.... if that makes sense.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 83 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Trigger,

Add the currency that you get paid in: - Click on dashboard (bottom right) then on '+add account'

click on Accounts (bottom left)

Swipe left if necessary so that your 'wages currency' is displayed at the top of the screen.

Click on 'add money' and you're off!

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 84 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Keithcaley wrote:Trigger,

Add the currency that you get paid in: - Click on dashboard (bottom right) then on '+add account'

click on Accounts (bottom left)

Swipe left if necessary so that your 'wages currency' is displayed at the top of the screen.

Click on 'add money' and you're off!
I have the account added, I change it to the currency I get paid in, I press add money (which has a little explanation mark on it) and then nothing. I cannot see where / how I would add money. It just has my revolut details and all I can press is done.

Perhaps my account is not set up correctly?

Thanks for trying to help... but I think I am beyond that when it comes to stuff like this.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 85 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

I press add money (which has a little exclamation mark on it) and then nothing. I cannot see where / how I would add money.
Hmmm...

I think that the little exclamation mark is possibly the clue here - I'm inclined to think that it means that you haven't set up a means of adding money - or at least, you may have not completed all of the steps involved in doing so. It could mean something else of course!

There is a way to get out of the 'automated response' loop, and interact with real live people - if I manage to remember how to do it, I'll tell you - or perhaps someone else might know.

philco
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 86 of 123 in Discussion

Post by philco »

I took out £200 yesterday and was charged 3.5%
When I used teb by Lamar and have been charged 2.1%

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 87 of 123 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

I have the account added, I change it to the currency I get paid in, I press add money (which has a little explanation mark on it) and then nothing. I cannot see where / how I would add money. It just has my revolut details and all I can press is done.
I find it easier to push than pull

Using the Revolut account info (Sort code, etc) I've set it up as a payee in my UK bank account and transfer funds to the Revolut account as and when necessary, I've also received payments via Swift from European bank accounts in Euros. Usually I get confirmation from Revolut that the money's been received before the sending bank has confirmed it's been sent.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 88 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

come_on_aylin wrote:
I find it easier to push than pull

Using the Revolut account info (Sort code, etc) I've set it up as a payee in my UK bank account and transfer funds to the Revolut account as and when necessary, I've also received payments via Swift from European bank accounts in Euros. Usually I get confirmation from Revolut that the money's been received before the sending bank has confirmed it's been sent.
Thanks for that, I've never tried it - could come in useful!

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 89 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

Mr Chinnery wrote:Brazen 303tl is just over 15% on 2000tl

Indeed it is. Didn’t notice that the ‘1’ was missing!

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 90 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

I am now sorted with my Revolut account. I have added money and exchanged some into TL.

Am I right in thinking I can now go to an ATM in North Cyprus (any?) and not get charged for withdrawing TL cash?

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 91 of 123 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

Yes, you don't even need to convert it to TL first just withdraw TL and Revolut will do the conversion for you. Of course, you can do it yourself to take advantage of a good exchange rate or prior to the weekend if you need to withdraw cash then (the rate is generally poorer when markets are closed). I regularly use the ATM at petrol station in Esentepe and have never been charged. However, Revolut charge 2% if you go over the monthly free withdrawal limit of £200.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 92 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

come_on_aylin wrote:Yes, you don't even need to convert it to TL first just withdraw TL and Revolut will do the conversion for you. Of course, you can do it yourself to take advantage of a good exchange rate or prior to the weekend if you need to withdraw cash then (the rate is generally poorer when markets are closed). I regularly use the ATM at petrol station in Esentepe and have never been charged. However, Revolut charge 2% if you go over the monthly free withdrawal limit of £200.
Cool. Well handy to know. 2% charge is much more reasonable than some of the charges I was getting from using my uk bank card in atms

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 93 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Went to tatlisu atm and that wanted to charge me 4%. Went to esentepe garage atm and no charge

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 94 of 123 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

Interesting, we've used our card in lots of ATMs in different countries and never had a charge. Which bank's ATM is at Tatlisu?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 95 of 123 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Bit of topic but might be useful for some revolut users. You can use, within limits, your revolut card to take payments from others (or yourself) via credit or debit cards. By using the request payment link option. So if say someone owes you 150 whatever and they would like to pay you using a card you can create a payment link that you send to them and allows them to do that. I created a payment link and then used a co op bank visa credit card to pay that myself, effectively moving money from the credit card to my revolut account with no charges. The payment link was for 200 sterling, 200 sterling left my co op bank credit card and 200 sterling arrived in my revolut account. All instant and no charges.

There does seem to be a limit on how much you can do this and it does seem related to activity on the account generally. Mine with a reasonable amount of activity allowed a payment request of 200 sterling. My partners with much less only allowed 50 sterling.

Re withdrawing lira from atms here I now am charged at some ATMs if I withdraw TL from a local TL Isbank account if I use the wrong atm. Obvious Isbank atms do not charge and some others banks also but others are now charging fro all TL cash withdrawals from a local TL held account.

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 96 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Thanks Erol your last post answered a question for me regarding withdrawing money in tl from other banks here. It is as I thought but to know is far better than to find out the hard way.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 97 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

come_on_aylin wrote:Interesting, we've used our card in lots of ATMs in different countries and never had a charge. Which bank's ATM is at Tatlisu?
The red Turkish ones.... not sure of the name, will check next time

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 98 of 123 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

erol wrote:Bit of topic but might be useful for some revolut users. You can use, within limits, your revolut card to take payments from others (or yourself) via credit or debit cards. By using the request payment link option. So if say someone owes you 150 whatever and they would like to pay you using a card you can create a payment link that you send to them and allows them to do that. I created a payment link and then used a co op bank visa credit card to pay that myself, effectively moving money from the credit card to my revolut account with no charges. The payment link was for 200 sterling, 200 sterling left my co op bank credit card and 200 sterling arrived in my revolut account. All instant and no charges.

There does seem to be a limit on how much you can do this and it does seem related to activity on the account generally. Mine with a reasonable amount of activity allowed a payment request of 200 sterling. My partners with much less only allowed 50 sterling.

Re withdrawing lira from atms here I now am charged at some ATMs if I withdraw TL from a local TL Isbank account if I use the wrong atm. Obvious Isbank atms do not charge and some others banks also but others are now charging fro all TL cash withdrawals from a local TL held account.
Have you got the basic account or the premium one?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 99 of 123 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Trigger wrote:
erol wrote:Bit of topic but might be useful for some revolut users. You can use, within limits, your revolut card to take payments from others (or yourself) via credit or debit cards. By using the request payment link option. So if say someone owes you 150 whatever and they would like to pay you using a card you can create a payment link that you send to them and allows them to do that. I created a payment link and then used a co op bank visa credit card to pay that myself, effectively moving money from the credit card to my revolut account with no charges. The payment link was for 200 sterling, 200 sterling left my co op bank credit card and 200 sterling arrived in my revolut account. All instant and no charges.

Have you got the basic account or the premium one?
Basic.

under payments (on the bottom of the android app), there is an option for 'payment link' (at top of screen after going to payments). Select 'request'. Choose currency to request and amount then click create payment link. click on the link created (on my android this copies the link in to the clipboard) then go to you browser and paste the link in. This will take you to a typical online payment screen where you enter name card number, expiry and cvc for the amount specified. Put in your credit card details, go through your own banks verification (verified by visa or equivalent) and volia you have moved money from your credit card in to your revolut account.

No charges, which must mean revolut are paying visa's fees which is why I guess the facility is limited. It is not supposed to replace a proper visa merchant account where you get a machine to take card payments and avoid their fees. It seems to be a convenience thing with unclear limits. Has it's uses however. Like taking a 'one off' p[payment from someone using a card. For me it useful as I have a very old and now discontinued co op visa credit card that actually has a interest rate of base rate (plus 10pm fixed fee). I basically keep this card maxed out all the time as I can not borrow money at such rates anywhere else. So before when I made monthly minimum payment I would then try and find ways to spend that payment again on something to keep the card maxed out. Now I can make the monthly payment and just pay it back in to my revolut account. Job done.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 100 of 123 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Trigger wrote:Went to tatlisu atm and that wanted to charge me 4%. Went to esentepe garage atm and no charge
If you are talking about the Ziraat ATM in the block next to Metran supermarket Tatlisu, it's a bit confusing, but it doesn't charge you if you hit the right buttons with the Revolut card. First time I thought it was going to charge me and hit No thinking I was cancelling the transaction, but got money out, and wasn't charged. If you check further up this page, (message 78) I have put precise instructions for using the ATM at Ziraat ATM with no charge. The machine only lets you take out 750TL per transaction, and a max of 1500 TL per day without charge. Bear in mind that you'll have to stick to £200 per month amount with Revolut before incurring their 2% charge.

Also look at KeithCaley's post above where he was charged, but couldn't remember what buttons he hit on the ATM.

Return to “FINANCE - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”