Flu Jabs

Need to know where to find an English speaking Dentist or Doctor in North Cyprus? Find out about members' medical experiences within the TRNC. Ask questions...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Flu Jabs

•   Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Anyone had theirs yet? If you have registered with a pharmacist, have you been given some idea of when they will commencing the service.

The young ones
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Flu Jabs

•   Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

Post by The young ones »

had mine today catalkoy

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Thanks The Young Ones. I keep asking when my place will commence but just get "not released yet"

helendj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

Post by helendj »

Just a thought for some people when they have their flu jabs. Last year I got pneumonia 3 times. At Dr. Turk's recommendation I not only had my flu jab, but I also had the pneumonia jab, hopefully to minimise the illness should it happen again. Thought perhaps some Kibkomers might benefit from this jab as well?

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

We had ours in Dublin a couple of weeks ago (not a lot of good for you Sophie, and maybe it only covers us for the Irish flu, begob!) and the chemist there was offering a pneumonia jab too. We did wonder but didn’t bother. They were also offering a shingles jab which I haven’t seen before.

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Dalartokat »

Just for guidance from the NHS....who should or shouldn’t have these jabs.

https://www.mims.co.uk/new-egg-free-flu ... le/1595204
If any of you were thinking of having this done in UK I was told yesterday they are still waiting for supplies.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinati ... s-vaccine/

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinati ... ccination/
If you ever get tired one day of life, take a rest, lean your back on the stone, not people. Cold but safe...

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

helendj wrote:Just a thought for some people when they have their flu jabs. Last year I got pneumonia 3 times. At Dr. Turk's recommendation I not only had my flu jab, but I also had the pneumonia jab, hopefully to minimise the illness should it happen again. Thought perhaps some Kibkomers might benefit from this jab as well?
How much did these jabs cost? My daughter has just had the flu jab in uk but pneumonia one was £70 which put her off but if it's significantly cheaper here she might get it done at Christmas.

TAC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

Post by TAC »

Dalartokat wrote:Just for guidance from the NHS....who should or shouldn’t have these jabs.

https://www.mims.co.uk/new-egg-free-flu ... le/1595204
If any of you were thinking of having this done in UK I was told yesterday they are still waiting for supplies.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinati ... s-vaccine/

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinati ... ccination/
I had the flu one done 2 weeks ago followed by the pneumonia one last week cost was free

Was also told the pneumonia one is a once only dose
I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!

ttoli
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

Post by ttoli »

How on earth did we survive before these magical flu Jabs ?
(Advertising Restricted)

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

ttoli wrote:How on earth did we survive before these magical flu Jabs ?
Well, in the first major outbreak of Spanish flu, up to 100 million didn't survive...

... and it still disproportionately kills more old or very young victims...

According to Public Health England, this year's outbreak seems to be particularly nasty.

Get yer jab!

helendj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

Post by helendj »

I'm so sorry I can't remember how much I paid last year for the flu and pneumonia jabs; but I know in England they're free if you're over 65(?). Pneumonia is only needed once whereas the flu jab every year.

Maisiemoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

Post by Maisiemoo »

The pneumonia jab does not cover every strain, this information came from my husband's respiratory nurse. He has just come.out of hospital after a 5 day stay with pneumonia and he had the jab about 10 years ago.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Have finally been told we are booked for our flu jabs tomorrow morning - 95tl. More than twice than last year I gather, but hopefully it will be well worth it.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

The pneumonia jab lasts 10 years you can have them with the flu jab one in alternate arms
Feom memory it give 85% coverage

There are two types of vaccine available for pneumonia. They protect against the most common cause of pneumonia, the bacterium Streptococcus pneumoniae. They aim to protect people who are at a higher risk from pneumonia, including older people and babies.

The pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine (PPV) is for people over 65 and anyone over the age of two who’s in a high-risk group. Most adults will only need to have this vaccination once in their life.

The pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) is given to all infants by the NHS. Babies get their first dose when they’re 2 months old.

steve66
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

Post by steve66 »

Just had mine at the chemist opposite Tuncay In Yeri restaurant just along
from the turn off to Esentepe.
Cost was 95tl.

Return to “MEDICAL & DENTAL - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”