Can I update the software on my Samsung TV?

Need advice on setting up your TV or Satellite in North Cyprus? Find out everything you need to know from experienced Kibkomers.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

judyvin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Can I update the software on my Samsung TV?

•   Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Post by judyvin »

I have discovered today that BBC Iplayer will no longer work on my Samsung TV because I need to update the Software. I have gone into the settings on the TV and tried to update the software but it seems I have the latest version for my TV. I have checked on the BBC website and it no longer works on certain Samsung TVs and mine is on the list!
Does anyone know if there is a way to update the software to the BBCs recommended version?
BBC Iplayer works on my laptop and tablet because I use StreamVia so it is not an issue with Iplayer.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Can I update the software on my Samsung TV?

•   Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

Unless someone who knows a lot more about these things than I do has an answer, I think that your best bet is to buy a cheap android box...

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

I probably know less than Keith BUT...................

I have a Samsung TV and use Streamvia and at the moment it is working but all of the catch up UK channels now buffer like mad. My internet speed isn't the reason and I understand a lot of people are having issues with it especially on the iplayer. I am assuming you are using a Firestick or Android box as I don't know of another way to get the BBC on the tv.

Samsung are notorious for poor customer service if you read the internet and why on earth they would stop letting you use iplayer is beyond me. Mine is checked regularly to ensure it is the latest version but there are seldom any updates.

Only thing I can suggest is to do what I have had to start doing to combat the buffering. I now download the programmes to the laptop and stream then from their to the TV. Even then I have had to use an older laptop as my brand new HP one won't stay connected via wifi to the Samsung which means using the cable which has to reach across the floor.

IPMAN
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

Post by IPMAN »

_
judyvin wrote:I have discovered today that BBC Iplayer will no longer work on my Samsung TV because I need to update the Software. I have gone into the settings on the TV and tried to update the software but it seems I have the latest version for my TV. I have checked on the BBC website and it no longer works on certain Samsung TVs and mine is on the list!
Does anyone know if there is a way to update the software to the BBCs recommended version?
BBC Iplayer works on my laptop and tablet because I use StreamVia so it is not an issue with Iplayer.
Theres been an update for Iplayer and around 150 models of Samsung TV's are now no longer supported! - do what Keith says and get a box or FIre Stick
Its Buggered

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

You 'ave got a way wiv words, you 'ave

judyvin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

Post by judyvin »

Yes, as of yesterday my Samsung is one of those unfortunate models that are no longer supported and I cannot update it to the required software version. I have Streamvia and up until Sunday night I could watch it directly from the BBC Iplayer App on the TV. Other Apps, ITV, 4OD still work without buffering.
IIve added Steamvia to other devices so can still access Iplayer etc. but not the perfect picture I had directly from the App.

judyvin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

Post by judyvin »

Miraculously, as of tonight it is working again. Hurray!!

IPMAN
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

Post by IPMAN »

judyvin wrote:Miraculously, as of tonight it is working again. Hurray!!
Did you buy a new TV?

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

Bet you any money Streamvia have done a tweak their end.....

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Groucho wrote:
Bet you any money Streamvia have done a tweak their end.....
Samsung are rolling out up dates for some models of TV. BBC iPlayer app on my samsung smart tv stopped working when the announcement was made. I checked for samsumg updates and there were none. Three days later an update appeared for the TV I installed it and now BBC iPlayer app is working again. There are reports that it may take samsumg 2=3 months before they update all models that are still to be supported.

judyvin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

Post by judyvin »

No I didn't buy a new TV and I still get a message to tell me that my software is out of date but it works again anyway!

judyvin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

Post by judyvin »

Another change with BBC. The news no longer breaks due to HD not available in your area!

rigsby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

Post by rigsby »

Regarding SAmsung service,I think its the best ever,I lost the MY5 app and called Samsung who took control of the tv and fixed it,He also said your broadband is very good,however we are back in the u/k Merry Christmas,

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

rigsby wrote:Regarding SAmsung service,I think its the best ever,I lost the MY5 app and called Samsung who took control of the tv and fixed it,He also said your broadband is very good,however we are back in the u/k Merry Christmas,
Never post a forthcoming vacant property...

rigsby
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

Post by rigsby »

Its ok Groucho been back in the uk since 2009

Chriswright03
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

Post by Chriswright03 »

Very useful thread this. I have now downloaded Streamvia onto my Samsung TV and I can now watch catch up tv without buffering that I had recently on the firestick.

Return to “TV & SATELLITES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”