General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

New cases of virus

•   Message 1 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

According to the Cyprus Mail there are 5 new cases here today, 1 in the Karpaz, 2 in Lapta and 2 in Gonyelli.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: New cases of virus

•   Message 2 of 25 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

Its over the mountain!
I think we will be under curfew for a bit longer

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 25 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Just as a matter of interest, is there a reason why you obtain information from Cyprus Mail, rather then information supplied by authorities this end? Not saying its wrong on this occasion, but they do have reputation for misinformation with regard to the North.

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: New cases of viruses

•   Message 4 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

sophie wrote:
Tue 31 Mar 2020 11:30 am
Just as a matter of interest, is there a reason why you obtain information from Cyprus Mail, rather then information supplied by authorities this end? Not saying its wrong on this occasion, but they do have reputation for misinformation with regard to the North.
Only because they appear to be earlier with the news than here. and it is worth noting that the report was confirmed later by LGC, as was the report of the recently imposed curfew.
It’s good to widen your sources of info.

johnny1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 25 in Discussion

Post by johnny1 »

sophie wrote:
Tue 31 Mar 2020 11:30 am
the Cyprus Mail is actually a very good online paper...very reliable and news added also very quickly...
thats where i get all my news from

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 6 of 25 in Discussion

Post by erol »

johnny1 wrote:
Tue 31 Mar 2020 1:28 pm
the Cyprus Mail is actually a very good online paper...very reliable and news added also very quickly...
:+1:)

and comparing apples to apples for a moment, cyprus mail or cyprus today ?

johnny1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 25 in Discussion

Post by johnny1 »

ill stick with cyprus mail

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

erol wrote:
Tue 31 Mar 2020 1:32 pm
johnny1 wrote:
Tue 31 Mar 2020 1:28 pm
:+1:)

and comparing apples to apples for a moment, cyprus mail or cyprus today ?
Cyprus Mail is a daily so there is no comparison. Some news in Cyprus Today is at least 8 days late by nature of it being a weekly. And they quite often issue the wrong clues for the crosswords etc.
((W\))

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 9 of 25 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

What Brazen said. I use both, though mainly Cyprus Mail.

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

1 new case here yesterday according to Cyprus Mail. No mention of this yet in Cyprium or LGC.!

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 11 of 25 in Discussion

Post by erol »

7 more north cases (no details of where) bringing north total to 77 as reported here

https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/04/01/coro ... -in-north/

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 25 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

Lemon grove now state the areas which have been disclosed by the health minister, karsiyaka, alsancak and girne have been added today I believe.
Health Minister Ali Pilli spoke to BRT about the distribution of cases which currently are being treated as follows:
Nicosia: 11
Miter: 3
Magusa: 2
Bayarmudu: 3
Lapta: 3
Karşıyaka: 2
Alsancak: 4
Girne: 1
Karpaz: 17
Last edited by snd1966 on Thu 02 Apr 2020 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 13 of 25 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Slightly different on LGC news

https://www.lgcnews.com/seven-more-with ... rson-dies/
Seven new cases of coronavirus (Covid-19) have been found in North Cyprus. There was also a second death from the disease.

Three of the seven who tested positive came from the Karpaz region as a result of contact. One case is from Alsancak and two other were said to be a married couple from the US living in Nicosia.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 25 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

I don't rate Cyprus Today at all for news. LGC is a bit better, but I would rather get news from the likes of http://www.yeniduzen.com and https://www.kibrisgazetesi.com and use google translate on a daily basis. Often there is something lost in translation, or a bit of confusion, but you can at least get the gist of things, and not have to wait.

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

From the Cyprus Mail today;

“Four new coronavirus cases were confirmed in the north on Thursday.

This brings the number of cases to 81.

So far, two people died in the north both German tourists; one last Saturday and one on Wednesday. Both had underlying health conditions.”

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 25 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

I believe that is the total historic number not current cases. Thirty Germans were repatriated to Germany and the remainder includes groups who have infected each other. I feel the authorities are doing well here considering. Unfortunately many are not taking it seriously enough as I am witnessing on a daily basis.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 17 of 25 in Discussion

Post by erol »

I would like to see more testing as soon as that is possible. To me there seems to be a strong correlation between how many tests a country has done per 100,000 of population and how much they have managed to stop the number of new cases raising exponentially. This is not a criticism of authorities here , just an expression of an opinion as to what could help. The idea of testing everyone here seems more possible and realistic to me than in many other countries just based on our small size. Mass testing of everyone, starting in hotspot areas and working outwards from there is what I would like to see.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 25 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

The underlying problem to that Erol is, is their sufficient capacity to cope with what they might find. Once again this is not a criticism just a query.

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 19 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Not sure I agree with that Erol, what are the chances of contaminating whilst testing? Especially if starting from the most infected areas.... Better everyone isolate for 2 weeks.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

Ive been really impressed so far at the actions here as soon as the first case came they where quick to react and took subsequent actions closing schools quarantining incoming people etc..

From what i can see although you have to guess and join up the dots nearly all the cases are from a known source which might mean there Are very few undetected virus cases here . If thats the case theres no need to test everyone but thats just my opinion and based on guess work . I do think they have done a good job here though .

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 21 of 25 in Discussion

Post by erol »

All of the data we have currently is limited and compromised and full of discrepancies especially when comparing one country to another. There are no simple and easy 'this is what needs to be done' answers.

Having said all of that this is how I am seeing things currently in terms of comparison between countries 'high' on the 'tests per head of population' metric.

Firstly which countries are currently testing more per head of population and which are testing less. Source https://www.healthpolicy-watch.org/covi ... egionally/

So in the 'high group' are

iceland
bahrain
norway
UAE
Switzerland
Australia
Spain
Korea
italy

In the 'low' group are

UK
USA
Russia
Belgium
France
Coatia
Taiwain

Now look at those countries using the analysis here https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/ which is specfically designed to try and show how much a given country is or is not impacting on the exponential growth of new infections , as explained here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54XLXg4fYsc&t=2s

For the countries in the 'low' list as above
low.JPG
For the countries in the 'high' list as above (with US included to show how much the others are under the exponential line)
high.JPG

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 25 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

I think you can pretty much ignore the death figures as there is such a variation on how they count them. Re the testing that’s a bit of a moveable feast really. The figure for me is cases per million of the population and then factor in population density but even that isn’t that useful.
We will only really know after it is done imo. What I would find very interesting is total deaths compared with this time last year. The figures sound horrendous but so is the average of 150,000 deaths worldwide a day

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 23 of 25 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Just to be clear there is nothing in the figures above relating to deaths. There is the list of countries ranked by how many tests per head of population they are reporting as having done. Then there is the 'analysis' of countries high or low on that list that involves looking at 'new positives per previous week vs total positives to date'. The key difference with this analysis vs nearly all others that it is not plotting such things with time on an axis, which is why it can show change or lack of it in terms of 'getting 'off the exponential' of growth of cases so much clearer than charts that are based on a time axis and has other benefits (as well as limitations) that are all explained in the youtube video about it.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 25 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

looking at the latest figures released yesterday, the early lockdown must be the reason why no non national apart from the german party and those who were in contact with them. The ages disclosed by Minister of Health Ali Pilli indicate families are involved in the cases of the virus plus as only 3 have died and only 1 in intensive care I will be the first to say Thank you to the government for acting so quickly or am I being naïve as it is a virus and may pop its ugly head up at a later date due to having no host at present due to the lockdown.

64 local cases have been identified
36 women and 28 men with the virus
3 people aged 0-9 years
7 people aged 10-19
7 people aged 20-29
8 people aged 30-39
8 people aged 40-49
8 people aged 50-59
7 people between the ages of 60-69
6 people between the ages of 70-79
2 people between the ages of 80-89

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 25 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

_111716869_hi060907001.jpg

BBC image...
Should the legend read "STAY HOME = STAY NEGATIVE"?

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”