How to help - a proposal for discussion

General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

How to help - a proposal for discussion

Post by erol »

Set up a community donation fund that can then be used to help those on the island who are struggling to feed themselves and are unable to get support from existing schemes and mechanisms already in place.

Principals.

Zero admin cost. Total transparency. Zero discrimination. As near zero increase in contact between people as possible in implementation.

Ways of getting money in to the fund.

Revolut to revolut direct. Zero cost. Instant
UK bank account to revolut. Zero cost. Instant
EU bank account to revolut. Zero cost. 1-3 days ?
IsBank to IsBank transfer. Zero cost. Instant.

Transparency re monies received by fund.

Public google spreadsheet listing every donation, who its from either by name or by unique 'donor number', when received, how received and amount.

Mechanics of using money in fund to provide food support.

Seek out as many Supermarkets in all regions able to take payment from fund remotely that will turn money in to 'support box' and handle the distribution of boxes to correct recipient.

Transparency of of support given, monies paid out.

Public google spreadsheet listing every support box paid for by fund, which supermarket paid, how much paid, who the box is for and date box given out.

Assessing need and who can get support boxes.

This is the hardest part. People seeking support boxes will have to show 1 - need, 2 - that they are either ineligible for support from other sources or have sought help from other sources and been refused. Once they are deemed to have met these criteria they will then able to get support boxes from their nearest supermarket that is participating in the scheme. Process would work something like this. Apply. Pass vetting. Local supermarket is paid from fund using remote , zero cost payment method and given identity details of recipient. Recipient is contacted and told they can collect support box from relevant supermarket. Supermarket verifies identity and hands over box.

Assessing need - needs to be quick, needs to use resources available here and use the 'smallness' of the place to be effective as possible and should take a flexible common sense approach using technology and out of the box thinking. I am aware for example of at least one individual who has a professional job history of detecting scams and scammers. Such a person would be an ideal 'vetting officer' to asses if a claimant is in genuine need or not. The smallness of the island and the degree to which 'everyone knows everyone' combined with ability to record, copy and provide proof via electronic remote means can all help to ensure the right people and only the right people are getting support from the fund.

Transparency of vetting mechanism

Public google spreadsheet showing how many applications made, how many refused and reasons, how many granted.

--------------------------

This is just an idea at the moment. It is not a 'finished' 'thing'. It is throwing ideas out there and seeking input and constructive criticism.
Last edited by erol on Sat 25 Apr 2020 7:58 pm, edited 17 times in total.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: How to help - a proposal for discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

I'd be happy to contribute to this. It would be an idea to try and negotiate a discount with a supermarket and or greengrocer etc to ensure we get most bang for our buck. Also maybe target people who seem to have been forgotten about by current rescue packages

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Mimi2 »

We have system for support of those in need in Ozankoy.
But getting permission's required not as easy as it seems.
Especially if your talking cash money

wizardofmann
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by wizardofmann »

A commendable proposal but one hell of an undertaking under the present circumstances/restrictions. I suspect the number of replies so far reflects on the complexity in organising something like this in a reasonable timescale. However, if I can be of any assistance then by all means PM me with details.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

Thanks ETS. You would be imo the perfect candidate for the role of 'vetting officer'. The last person you would want in that role would be a bleeding heart leftist guardian reader living in an ivory tower who thinks having access to state paid gender reassignment therapy is a 'need', which pretty much rules me out for such a role. You on the other hand would be perfect on the basis of that I know and respect you, your professional background, your no nonsense common sense approach and a host of other qualities ideally suited to such a role.

The scheme, should it prove possible to get off the ground in any way, as I am seeing things currently, would seek to offer support ONLY to those who are in need and have been unable to gain such from other sources. I am not looking to duplicate efforts already up and running but to try and catch any in need that for whatever reason are falling through 'the net' provided by these existing schemes. It would be the job of the vetting officer to establish both need AND that attempts to seek help elsewhere first have failed or are not viable.

In order to try and push things forward I will set up the 'monies in' spreadsheet and put in an initial amount to the fund. This will be sufficient to see if this thing could have any legs or not.

Specific help needed to try and move forward at this stage.

If anyone knows of someone in need who is 'falling through the gaps' with regards to existing schemes please let me know. If you know of such AND you have any contacts with a supermarket in the area of that person in need then any 'sounding out' you could do with regards to would they be willing to participate and can they take remote payment either via card or via Isbank to Isbank zero cost instant transfer and have english language speaking contact person , would also be welcome.

What is not needed at this stage - any monetary contributions or 'promotion' of the effort.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

Mimi2 wrote: ↑
Sun 05 Apr 2020 11:46 am
We have system for support of those in need in Ozankoy.
But getting permission's required not as easy as it seems.
Especially if your talking cash money
With regards to 'permission' I would be working on the basis that it is better to ask for forgiveness after the fact than for permission before it and would seek to use as near to 'total transparency' as possible should any 'defence' be needed down the line for 'breaking rules'.

Cally
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Cally »

There has been one girl go round the Old Turkish Quarter where there are many slum properties occupied by people with nothing. She has been very successful & provided boxes of provisions for those in need.
However one heartless person criticised her for knocking on doors asking who needed help.
That aside, my rant, I can post the thread it was on fb
There were only 2/3 streets so logistics a lot easier

emineden
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by emineden »

Be happy to contribute

Ozankoy Best Butcher
Business contributing to forum

Post by Ozankoy Best Butcher »

Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know what we`ve done in Ozankoy. There are two projects in the village. There`s a village committee who have centred their efforts on making it easier for people to stay at home. They`ll take shopping orders and pharmacy orders as a one point of contact, feed the orders through and arrange delivery, their aim is to keep the people in the village safe and at home. Then there is the food bank, the aim is to keep people fed. We had a meeting with the village committee to explain the plans for the food bank, to understand what eachother were doing, to ensure we weren`t duplicating and and could co-ordinate and that it had their support. The idea being that together, with communication, communication, communication, we can understand and meet the needs of the village.

We only started the food bank on Thursday morning and made our first deliveries on Saturday afternoon. We were to have received a list from the belediye of people in the village who had registered for support but I think we moved too quickly for them as we`re still waiting for the list and the promised mound of potatoes. However, we got permission and agreement to crack on and deliver to those we were aware of already.

We have to send the name and address of each household supported to the contact at the belediye, to ensure there`s no duplication. ie no one household receives twice at the expense of another not receiving anything. They are compiling a database so they can see where support is being delivered and I understand even the support from the Red Crescent is being fed into it.

We`re also recording how many people are in each household, adults and children/babies, so we can taylor the support to the household. Some people are only concerned with meeting the needs of their children/babies right now, some households will manage better on foods they`re used to, mainly rice based for example, than an unfamiliar variety. At the moment, at this scale, this is relatively easy for us to do. We are making no assessment of level of need, to be honest in some cases the need has been really clear, in other cases we`ve found people prioritising their children and people people just need help to stretch what they have a bit further. Some people who neighbours sent us to with concerns, said they were managing and there were people in more need down the street, here, around the corner, this house. That`s really what we need, the village looking out for eachother and for communities within villages to be embraced and supported as part of the community they live in - so they aren`t trying to struggle on as smaller communities themselves, the Pakistanis, the Filipinos, the Africans. Having seen what happened at the Karpaz and now over Alsancak way, we really do need to avoid these communities being isolated from support by roadblocks.

How any of that is achieved on a huge scale I really don`t know and I applaud everyone doing their bit, however they`re achieving it, just getting it done. I just hope that here in Ozankoy we`re allowed to continue with it for as long as its needed and are continued to be supported and helped not just by the residents (who are bloody Amazing) but by the likes of the village committee, the belediye and the kaymakam.
Ozankoy Best Butchers, Yusuf Zorlukasap at 16 Muhtarlik Sok, Ozankoy, Girne.
Tel. 0533 870 3974, 815 6806, Facebook @OzankoyButchers

English and Cypriot cuts, sausages and sliced deli meats.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

Ozankoy Best Butcher wrote: ↑
Sun 05 Apr 2020 2:02 pm
Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know what we`ve done in Ozankoy. ......
:+1:)

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waddo »

I applaud the initiative but, having fallen foul of similar ventures which only want to do good for no reward, I will stay below the radar and help out where I can! You may find that odd but let me assure you that I have tried in the past and discovered, to my peril, a certain truth that lives below the normal level of visibility here.

If you attempt to do anything, provide a service or just give a helping hand that either should of or could have been provided by a citizen or the government of a citizen - then you will be breaking a law! If you are a citizen, then you have a chance at making a success of any venture by virtue of the fact that this is your country. Sad but true as many have found out.

If you wish to make this idea work then your first challenge will be to enlist the help of a True Turkish Cypriot that lives here on a permanent basis, you then stand a chance of getting it off the ground. Good luck and I hope with all my heart that times have changed.

Just read Best Butchers post - excellent and the way forward I feel, having the local population on board is the first step!!! Well done Ozankoy, shame we at Catalkoy are now cut off from you - lol.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

For the record I am a TRNC citizen, complete with Kimlik Card and card showing I have done military service and who lives here permanently and has done so for the last 19 years or so.

Anyway to try and get things back on topic.

If anyone knows of someone in need who is currently unable to get help or support from any existing initiatives for whatever reason, then please contact me. If no one knows of such a person then great, nothing more to be done.

wizardofmann
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by wizardofmann »

Let's hope your idea gets off the ground🍻
Let's consider that a truce shall we? Can we leave personalities out of this thread and get on with being of help, rather than wasting our 'breath' on trivialities?

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Mollie the cat »

:+1:) (:())

Wines Of The World
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Wines Of The World »

wizardofmann wrote: ↑
Sun 05 Apr 2020 2:27 pm
Let's hope your idea gets off the ground🍻
Let's consider that a truce shall we? Can we leave personalities out of this thread and get on with being of help, rather than wasting our 'breath' on trivialities?
Wise words and I hope there taken heed ofπŸ‘
Stay safe😷
Making Life Richer For The Pourer 🍷🍸🍷πŸ₯‚πŸ»πŸΊπŸΉπŸΈπŸ₯ƒπŸΎπŸΎπŸΎπŸΎ

wizardofmann
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by wizardofmann »

If no one knows of such a person then great, nothing more to be done.
Even without asking around, I know there will be families around where I live who will almost definitely be in need of help. It's just a matter of how to locate them quickly. Would it be possible to get the local Mosque to make an announcement asking families to call a number if they need help?

P.S. One other option may be to to get in touch with the area Mukhtar who should have good knowledge of who may need help?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

Sun 05 Apr 2020 2:43 pm
If no one knows of such a person then great, nothing more to be done.
Even without asking around, I know there will be families around where I live who will almost definitely be in need of help. It's just a matter of how to locate them quickly. Would it be possible to get the local Mosque to make an announcement asking families to call a number if they need help?
it is certainly an idea worth consideration I think, somewhere down the line. The 'plan' as far as there is one currently is to try and locate those in need that are currently not able to access existing efforts to support them, maybe because of their non TRNC nationality, or because of their 'uncertain' status re immigration or 'work permit' or anything else that might be a bar on them getting help from existing support efforts. Right now I do not think publicising a contact number, given that there is nothing in place currently to provide any help, is the thing to do. Finding someone who needs help, can not get it and then seeing if help can be given along the lines in the OP, is the 'next stage'. A kind of proof of concept. At least that is how I am seeing things right now but this is all just 'concept' and 'work in progress' at this stage.

Ozankoy Best Butcher

Post by Ozankoy Best Butcher »

Erol can I ask where you are?
Ozankoy Best Butchers, Yusuf Zorlukasap at 16 Muhtarlik Sok, Ozankoy, Girne.
Tel. 0533 870 3974, 815 6806, Facebook @OzankoyButchers

English and Cypriot cuts, sausages and sliced deli meats.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

Ozankoy Best Butcher wrote: ↑
Sun 05 Apr 2020 3:01 pm
Erol can I ask where you are?
Lapta

wizardofmann
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by wizardofmann »

Surely it will be a situation of demand and supply, instead of the other way round in these circumstances?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

Sun 05 Apr 2020 3:05 pm
Surely it will be a situation of demand and supply, instead of the other way round in these circumstances?
I am not sure I am getting your drift / understanding your point properly ?

There are efforts all over to try and offer support to those that need them. My own area of lapta has a scheme set up by the Belidiyare where monetary donations to that scheme can be made at Bestmar supermarket. I have been donating to such a scheme on behalf of both myself and others who do not visit bestmar anyway, as I do but want to help and know me well enough to operate based on 'trust' alone. I have also tried along with others to promote this scheme.

I do not know if this scheme has any 'restrictions' on who can get this help, do not know how many people it has helped so far, who those people are or many other things and for me none of that matters. I personally am more than willing to trust the Belyidiare and contribute to this effort regardless.

However yesterday someone appealed for help on behalf of people in need in the Girne area, who had sought help from the Girne Beli and were told, according to the report here, that such help was only available to TRNC citizens. It was this that led me to think and worry about those in need who are 'falling through the gaps' of existing schemes, for whatever reason, and to see if there was any practical way that this category of people could be helped. Leading to the creation of this thread.

I do not know if what I suggest here can work. That remains to be seen or not seen at all. I do not know how many people might be 'falling through the gaps' of existing schemes. It does appear to be more than zero though. My thinking is to 'test' the viability of this idea starting with one or a few such people, if they can be found and if it turns out that help can be provided this way or via some variant of it. Thus 'finding such people' seems like the sensible 'starting point ' ?

wizardofmann
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by wizardofmann »

By demand and supply I simply mean at first it needs to be established if there is a demand.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

Sun 05 Apr 2020 4:11 pm
By demand and supply I simply mean at first it needs to be established if there is a demand.
Agreed

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

Post by Soner »

Erol you will first need to ensure you work with local Belediye. One MP from Famagusta trod on toes of our Head of Council in Gecitkale by sending food packages around our village, and sent a man to knock on doors to ask if household were in any need of help. Head of Gecitkale went on TV and ripped other MP apart by stating that he had already set up supplies for the needy and was already distributing "carefully", secondly, said that the MP had no care in place as to contamination, plus sending someone to knock on doors was also a danger of being contaminated and contaminating.

I am helping by asking those in need to order from local shop, get it delivered and have bill put in my name. This I think would probably be a good solution to what you are trying to achieve. Maybe instruct shop that so and so will order from them for delivery, up to such and such amount in tl, this way you reduce amount of contact and any risk of further contaminating.

Seems like you just need a list of people in need to get the ball rolling. Good luck.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

Finnbarr01
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Finnbarr01 »

Reading the posts from London with a special interest in TRNC and it’s people, the first thing I want to do, is thank all contributors especially Erol, in their fine and principled ideas in trying to help those in desperate need.

As you have all mostly mentioned, it appears to be those that are potentially β€˜falling through the gap’ that are in need the most. Therefore, the obvious question is how do we find out who they are and what is their social position of need is.

With regards to the Philippine, African population, would contacting the Catholic Churches for their advice and use potentially a source of information gathering etc. plus as a centre of distribution ?

With regards to Asians, you may wish to consider speaking with the more senior members of their community for assistance and for ease of communication via a information webpage designed and translated into their preferred language of use.

Erol, your idea of how donations are made and accounted for makes good sense, the idea of negotiating with supermarkets is also a good business idea, identity of those in need maybe problematic but how about using their passports and value linked voucher system attached to passport numbers, which can then be redeemed at the places you have selected.

I think you may also wish to add chemists into the list of β€˜necessities’

I hope some of these basic ideas help in some way and I wish you all Godspeed in this honourable task you are all taking part in.

With best regards
Finn (London)

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

@ Soner. Thanks for your input. One of my starting points in the OP was 'near zero' increase in contact'. I am thinking along the lines you are doing personally but just in a more general framework really. Collect money, disburse money very much along the lines you suggest, with the 'near zero' increase in contact being the recipient going and collecting their box. I am happy to work with anyone or without them and am not seeking to step on any toes or duplicate any efforts already in place. The priority is simply If there is someone who can not get help anywhere else this could be somewhere they could turn. If such effort is not needed no one will be happier about that than me.

@ Finnbarr01. Thanks for the encouragement and kind words. Thanks also for your ideas on how to reach people, very interesting and most welcome. Right now this whole thing has been for me 'reactive'. Reactive to a call for help made on the forum on behalf of people that had sought help in their local area and been turned down. I am not yet sure that I personally am ready to 'pro actively' seek people out but that could change and if and when that happens your suggestions would be good places to start.

For now there is a small sum of money available. If anyone thinks this could be used within the parameters discussed above to help anyone in need that is finding it difficult to access existing schemes and efforts, then contact me. If we can find a way of using this money to help, without having to 'move about' then great and having done so we can look at carrying on from there.

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by JoandJelly »

Erol I am aware of a young lady who was working at a well known Lapta restaurant who has contacted Girne Belediye twice but received no response. I do not know her personally or her actual circumstances other than what she has posted on FB. How can I put her intouch with you?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

Have sent you pm Joandjelly

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by JoandJelly »

erol wrote: ↑
Mon 06 Apr 2020 8:17 am
Have sent you pm Joandjelly
Have responded thank you.

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Mowgli597 »

OzankΓΆy Best Butcher

Have sent you a PM

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

Things that can be done to try and help

Would someone take on the task of trying to collect information all in a single place about what existing help scheme are operating in which areas , how to access this help and if there are any known restrictions on it (like citizens only). ? If this info can be pulled together then Soner can put it up here as a resource for those needing help.

If you are visiting a supermarket anyway to get your own supplies can you enquire about if they can take payment remotely / online and in turn provide basic food packages to named individuals against such payment ? I know it is all a bit vague but right now the more 'outlets' in more areas that I can pay remotely, either via card or via isbank online transfer, who then in turn provide support packages against such payments the more chance of being able to help people.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

Another request.

Is there anyone using Atakara market in Alsanjack for their essential shopping who also has revolut card ? In trying to help someone referred to me who is close to that shop, I contacted them to see if I could pay remotely for their shopping. They could not take remote payment but said send the person to us and we will help, regardless of payment. Great response from them but I would like to get them payment in any case. So if you are going anyway , have a revolut card, then that is one way payment could be got to them that does not require any additional journeys / contact.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waddo »

My Turkish friend has been in lockdown since the 14th of March and orders all his shopping from either Metropol, Erdener or Supreme via WhatsApp, pays on line. Metropol produce his shopping and leave by the till for him to pick up, Erdener produce his shopping and deliver it to him and Supreme do the same as Metropol. All his shopping is bagged and ready for him to collect so he does not have to walk around amongst the other shoppers. I will enquire further at Supreme when I go there in the morning to see what else I can find out for you, the other two are outside of my district so can not visit them. I will search the Facebook sites around to see if any information is available regarding other communities providing help but as I am not a Facebook user (no login and do not wish to) I am unable to post questions. More later.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

Thanks waddo. Great info.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waddo »

Further to my last: Went to Supreme this morning and found they have a WhatsApp contact number (0533 873 6081) for orders. You can not pay on-line but you can order for home delivery anywhere throughout the Catalkoy (and possibly the Ozankoy) areas. The shop will either take your order for delivery - pay when they deliver - or pack your order ready for collection at the till. They have Debit/Credit Card facility as well so you can pay that way if you wish. Uncertain if you can pay via card when they deliver - our Tinglish (Turkish/English) conversation not definite on that point!

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by alphamike »

For help in Tatlisu area, the Belideye are collected non perishable food parcels and items such as cleaning stuff, nappies, sanitary towels and distributing them. I believe you don't have to go in, you can leave on the steps if you like. As I had to go and pay my bill, I took some inside, but staff came out to help me carry inside.

As an aside, I thought that you could only pay cash at Tatlisu Bele, but found out that you can pay by card this morning. Whether this is a new thing, I have no idea.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

It is impossible to start a thread like this and continue it without thinking about issues of ego, virtue signalling, moralising and blowing my own trumpet. None of these 'concerns' of mine and about me matter right now. I and my 'worries' do not matter in face of the need of someone, anyone, without money, without working phone scared and alone. This is not about me. It is not about you. It is not about a pissing match. What follows is one person's story. This is about them.

What follows is my whatsapp communication with one such individual, name removed, over the last two days, that reached me via Joanandjelly efforts in response to this thread. Read it and understand who this is about. Please do not send any public messages about me, what you may or may not think about me. Just read the following and try and help if you can. This is what this is about.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

One person's story.

[12:47, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: Hi
[12:50, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: Are you struggling to pay for food right now ?
[12:51, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: Do you think you can find a food shop open near you that would take payment from me over the phone ?
[12:52, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: What are the supermarkets near you so I can try and contact them directly

[12:52, 06/04/2020] [anon]: atakara is my nearest

[12:53, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: In Alsanjak ?
[12:53, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: Near golden lady ?

[12:54, 06/04/2020] [anon]: yeah, I don't know golden lady, alsancak atakara u live behind there

[12:54, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: I am in lapta

[12:54, 06/04/2020] [anon]: oh that's not far,

[12:55, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: Let me try and contact them. Do you have any ID ?

[12:56, 06/04/2020] [anon]: yeah passport
[12:56, 06/04/2020] [anon]: ok thank you so much

[12:57, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: So you have tried getting help from Alsajak beli and they have not helped ? Have I got that right ?

[12:57, 06/04/2020] [anon]: yeah I msged them they seem the msg and just ignored

[12:58, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: Ok. Will try and contact atakara

[12:58, 06/04/2020] [anon]: ok thank you
[12:58, 06/04/2020] [anon]: 🀞

[13:20, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: I spoke to attakara - I have not worked out a way to pay them without having to go there but they told me that if you go to the shop and ask for Sahli (sally) they will help you
[13:21, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: let me know how you get on.

[13:22, 06/04/2020] [anon]: ok thank you so much

[13:23, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: If will pay them up to 100TL at some later point if that helps them to help you. you can tell them this and give them my details - name phone number email etc

[13:24, 06/04/2020] [anon]: ok.i will see what I can do thank you so much
[13:52, 06/04/2020] [anon]: I have permission to walk to lapta if u know a way to help if I come there

[13:54, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: just go to atakara and speak to sahli and get some food. I will work out a way to getting money to them to cover what they give you (up to 100TL) in the first instance

[13:56, 06/04/2020] [anon]: ok thank u

[16:00, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: Have you been ? How did you get on ?

[19:25, 06/04/2020] [anon]: no I have just eaten my last eggs and tomato, I will go in the morning but feel so bad asking for food
[19:25, 06/04/2020] [anon]: 😒
[19:26, 06/04/2020] [anon]: I wish everything was normal 😒😒😒

[19:26, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: Do not feel bad. None of this is your fault

[19:26, 06/04/2020] [anon]: it's my birthday today

[19:27, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: This will end. It will take time but it will end
[19:28, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: Please go and get food from atakara. There is no shame in doing so
[19:28, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: The shame is only with those who do not try and help in such times

[19:37, 06/04/2020] [anon]: ok I'm so scared to do this

[19:38, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: What are you scared about? Going to atakara ?

[19:39, 06/04/2020] [anon]: I have so many people offer to help and they lie and never turn up.

[19:39, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: Do not be scared. There are people who can help and want to help

[19:39, 06/04/2020] [anon]: ok.i will.go now
[19:40, 06/04/2020] [anon]: it will close 20 min

[19:40, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: Yes

[19:41, 06/04/2020] [anon]: can I go morning I can sleep now I am not too hungry now I eat egg
[19:41, 06/04/2020] [anon]: 😒

[19:41, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: Go in the morning

[19:41, 06/04/2020] [anon]: omg this situation is so bad 😒

[19:41, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: It is not your fault

[19:41, 06/04/2020] [anon]: ok thank u I will msg u in the morning

[19:41, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: You have done nothing wrong

[19:42, 06/04/2020] [anon]: I know just need a little help

[19:42, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: Please do. It will help others as well

[19:42, 06/04/2020] [anon]: ok thank u so so.so much

[19:42, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: I am trying to work out ways to help others as well. You can be an example and help them

[19:43, 06/04/2020] [anon]: I will.msg u in.the morning before and after I go.x
[19:43, 06/04/2020] [anon]: are u Turkish ?

[19:44, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: My mother is English. My father was cypriot
[19:44, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: Turkish cypriot
[19:44, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: I was born in uk. Came to live here about 18 years ago

[19:44, 06/04/2020] [anon]: aaaa ok, I'm from Birmingham 🀣
[19:46, 06/04/2020] [anon]: u are a superstar and I bet u have so many people msg u, I wish I could help, I can only help by talking and reassuring x
[19:47, 06/04/2020] [anon]: have u got anything that can sort my major tooth ache out too πŸ™ˆ
[19:47, 06/04/2020] [anon]: sorry it's so nice just to talk to someone

[19:48, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: It's ok. Do you live alone ? Rent ?

[19:53, 06/04/2020] [anon]: yes and yes

[19:55, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: ok. I kind of have to go for a bit but please please do go to atakara tomorrow. let me know how it goes. If you feel like you need to 'text' talk with me at any time please do. I may not always respond instantly but sooner or later I will.
[19:55, 06/04/2020] Erol Ziya: for now the main thing is to make sure you do not go hungry because of all this madnees

[19:56, 06/04/2020] [anon]: I will go.in the morning really, I've never asked for help in my life but really need it now. thank.u so much and good night

[08:33, 07/04/2020] Erol Ziya: Morning [anon]. You are stronger than you think. You are not alone. It takes courage to ask for help from strangers. Go to Atakara. Get food. Do it for yourself and do it as an example and inpiration to others out there also scared and feeling alone.
[08:34, 07/04/2020] Erol Ziya: Then we can see what else we can do to help. With toothache and with anything else
[08:34, 07/04/2020] Erol Ziya: You are not alone

[12:26, 07/04/2020] [anon]: hello sorry my phone is bot working, I'm going to atakara in 10 mins I will msg u when I come back

[12:27, 07/04/2020] Erol Ziya: Ok. I also have some antibiotics that might help your toothache

[12:27, 07/04/2020] [anon]: I ask for sahli yeah

[12:27, 07/04/2020] Erol Ziya: Yes

[12:27, 07/04/2020] [anon]: ok I will msg u when I come back

[12:27, 07/04/2020] Erol Ziya: Ok.

[13:24, 07/04/2020] [anon]: hi, I'm back now i can't thank u enough, as soon as I'm back at work I will pay u back I took chicken eggs pasta vegetables bread beans oh and a small coffee. can't remember the last time I had a coffee and ate meat so will have a lovely meal, πŸ˜ƒ it came to 113 lira, I'm really sorry it was 13 over. I was gonna put some back but I was embarrassed,
I work at the [xxxxx] so soon as I'm back at work u and ur family can come and have a meal on me.
u are so kind thank you! if u want I can send a picture of what I got x

[13:24, 07/04/2020] Erol Ziya: Do not worry
[13:25, 07/04/2020] Erol Ziya: How is your toothache ? I got antibiotics for you today. If it's an infection these will help
[13:26, 07/04/2020] Erol Ziya: I tried to get you a phone SIM. No luck yet. Still working on it
[13:27, 07/04/2020] Erol Ziya: I can get permission and bring antibiotics to you if you think they will help ?

[13:27, 07/04/2020] [anon]: still hurting, not quite as bad as yesterday,
but had some brandy left from ages ago so I held some on it to numb it,

[13:28, 07/04/2020] Erol Ziya: Give me your address. I'll bring you the antibiotics

[13:28, 07/04/2020] [anon]: ok I will just find tenancy agreement cause I don't know it haha

[13:29, 07/04/2020] Erol Ziya: Just explain how I find it
[14:22, 07/04/2020] Erol Ziya: you there [anon] ?
[15:35, 07/04/2020] Erol Ziya: πŸ‘‹πŸΌ
[16:31, 07/04/2020] Erol Ziya: [anon] I went to Atakara and paid them 200TL on your behalf. 113TL already used, though Salih is calling that 100 I think. So there is another 100TL available for you to use when needed. I also got a SIM card, that has data and minutes on it. I hope you have a phone ? It is registered in my name. All you need to do is send SMS as written on the packing (near bottom left I think) to activate it. I have left the SIM card and some antibiotics that might help your toothache with Salih at Atakara. You can pick them up any time within curfew. If you get the SIM working give us a call and let us know you are ok.
Last edited by erol on Wed 08 Apr 2020 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

Yesterday there was someone, without money, without a phone,hungry, alone and scared. Today that person is less hungry, less alone and less scared.

There must be more people out there in a similar position. We need to all try and find these people and help in any way we can

I will keep trying to push forward with the idea proposed at the start of this thread.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

A word about Salih at Attakara. His response was outstanding. For at least 10 days back, maybe longer, he has been providing, off his own back and out of his own pocket, 'aid bags' for those in need. Now some he has helped before are returning again. He is under much strain. Any help anyone can offer him would be welcome and from what I have seen to date he can be totally trusted such that anything given to him to help others will reach others and only others. He also had stories of 'non citizens' who had tried to seek aid from the Belidiyere with no response from the. He is doing his best to help anyone in need as best he cane regardless of their race or status.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by alphamike »

So sad to hear of of that poor girl Erol, and obviously the many more in her predicament.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

In terms of the original idea in the first post and in case it has any legs and can scale if needed here are a couple of 'example' public spreadsheets. If a scheme like this can work and be of use I think how useful it can be will be directly linked to how much it can be seen that money 'in' is only spent on those in need and that money is going out to that end. Doing such is not the same as showing it imo. That is the point of 'transparency'. I have no idea how to do this, where the lines are or should be drawn on things like 'should doners be named' and 'should recipients' be named. I am flying by the seat of my pants and acting re-actively. Any and all constructive criticism is welcome. This is what I have so far.

Here is a 'money in' spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... ingle=true

here is 'money out' spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... _M/pubhtml

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

Post by Soner »

Sent you an email Erol.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

Saddique
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Saddique »

Another way slightly off topic is that people can help out by Furloughing the workers that they normally employ ie gardeners , cleaners and others who rely on this income for the work that they do.
Since they cannot come and work at your premises due to the restrictions placed upon them , how about paying them a percentage of what you would normally pay them ? I am sure your gesture will help a fair few people out.

Just something else that we can do and that's what I am doing with our gardener.

The above is just a suggestion for those who are concerned...…. obviously its not going to solve all the problems but its a small start.
This way you get to look after those who need it and those you already know.

Please also consider the above proposal by Erol as well.
Stay safe all.

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Mowgli597 »

OzankΓΆy Best Butcher

Have resent my PM. Did you receive it?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

Saddique wrote: ↑
Wed 08 Apr 2020 2:43 am
Another way slightly off topic is that people can help out by Furloughing the workers that they normally employ ie gardeners , cleaners and others who rely on this income for the work that they do.
Since they cannot come and work at your premises due to the restrictions placed upon them , how about paying them a percentage of what you would normally pay them ? I am sure your gesture will help a fair few people out.

Just something else that we can do and that's what I am doing with our gardener.

The above is just a suggestion for those who are concerned...…. obviously its not going to solve all the problems but its a small start.
This way you get to look after those who need it and those you already know.
:+1:)

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by JoandJelly »

Thank you Erol so much you really are a wonderful human being. There are people on Facebook posts that do not believe that the belediyes are not helping non-citizens. I don't know why this is happening but it's shameful.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

If there is anyone who is shopping at Atakara currently and has either a revolut account or a local TL IsBank account could they please message me. I am trying to get some funds to Salih at Atakara to help him with his efforts top help others without having to make an extra journey just to do do. Thanks.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

Just to update. Funds in from Kibkom / Soner - thanks to all. I am trying to use this money to support others who are helping those in need. Details are up to date on the spreadsheets. Sent 500TL to these people https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005256499298

They sent an image of some of the stuff they bought with the 500TL that prmiarily came from Soner / Kibkommers.
aid.jpg
I am still looking for help from anyone who can get money from me electronically and is already shopping at Atakara. I want to pass some of the funds available to him to help him continue to help others WITHOUT having to make an extra journey / increase contact more , if possible.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waddo »

Erol, So how can I donate funds and to whom please? I only have a UK bank account but can transfer funds to other a/c's in UK easily.

Return to β€œTHE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”