COSH - Distribution 23rd April 2020

Need advice from The British Residents Society in North Cyprus? Find out about and help charities in the TRNC.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

COSH - Distribution 23rd April 2020

•   Message 1 of 26 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Long day today. Hard day. Full report to follow in due course but just wanted to get something started. The 'lead up' to this distribution effort can be found here viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51088

So the final cost of our 'packet' this time came to 51.44 TL. The 'packet' looked like this
packet-final-23-apr.jpg
There is Around 7.5 kilos of veg - cucumbers, peppers, eggplant, potatoes, onions, garlic and around 3.5 kilos of oranges. Then plus bread, milk, eggs, flour, oil , bulgar rice and lentils and liquid soap that is not in the picture. We spent in total 2571.83TL and made up 50 such packets. We delivered all 50 today, across a wide area and to a range of nationalities including Cypriot, Turkish Pakistani, and others. The work was slowed considerably by efforts to start proper 'data collection' , as described in the lead up thread linked to above, but this will pay substantial dividends as we go forward in terms of efficiency in so many ways.

A full report on the details of cost, what was spent where and more details on those helped and a 'final report' for this distribution , looking at the 4 main areas that we were seeking 'improvement' on and if we made progress or not and how much, will all follow in due course.

For now I will end on this. One of the 'spin offs' from the data collection was we provided our own whatssap details to people only able to provide partial information on the people in a given household, to those who had whatsapp, in the hope that they would forward them to us via whatssap (if they had such). The following is a message we received via that channel after we made a delivery to this person.
[19:51, 23/04/2020] Diana Suyunshalina: Спасибо большое за помощь, у меня дома ничего не было кроме риса и чечевицы. Пусть Бог будет с вами. В горле, комок, дети это видели и они тоже очень обрадовались.
Пусть Бог всегда будет с вами
[19:51, 23/04/2020] Diana Suyunshalina: Thank you very much for your help. I had nothing to eat exept rice and beans. God bless you. There are tears in my eyes. My children so how it was, and now they are so happy. Let the God always be with you.
And this was followed by a 'before' picture of their fridge
before
before
and an 'after'
after
after
We did not solicit this in any way. We had only given our whatsapp details so she could in time provide more ID details for her three children, where all we had for them when we delivered was ages of 18,15 and 14. This is what keeps driving me and I am not doubt sure the others involved in getting this help to people, who work so much harder than I do, on. There are times when I am close to saying 'I can not keep doing this, I done what I can, it is time for me stop'. Things like this keep me going.

More, much more, to follow in due course on this latest 'effort'

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: COSH - Distribution 23rd April 2020

•   Message 2 of 26 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Great work Erol well done to you and the team. Forgive me if you have already answered this but out of curiousity how long and for how many days would the 51.44 pack of food be expected to last on average?

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 3 of 26 in Discussion

Post by erol »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Thu 23 Apr 2020 7:15 pm
Great work Erol well done to you and the team. Forgive me if you have already answered this but out of curiousity how long and for how many days would the 51.44 pack of food be expected to last on average?
We are making this stuff up as we go along to be honest. We were working on a rough basis of one packet per two adults and would hope it to last in the region of 2 weeks but that is more 'ish' than anything else. Single adult households were getting one packet. Some households with children, especially older children, were getting 'more' than 2 adults per packet.

Some help from someone with back ground in 'nutrition' is something that has been in my mind for a while now. However am still 'thinking' about how such a person if and when found might be used effectively but it is 'on the list' - along with about 150 other things ;)
Last edited by erol on Fri 24 Apr 2020 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 26 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Breakdown of expenditure for this effort are here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... Ng/pubhtml

ps if someone could confirm they can see the photos on the links from that spreadsheet would be good to confirm I got permissions right etc. Thanks

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 26 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

erol wrote:
Fri 24 Apr 2020 9:39 am
EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Thu 23 Apr 2020 7:15 pm
We are making this stuff up as we go along to be honest. We were working on a rough basis of one packet per two adults and would hope it to last in the region of 2 weeks but that is more 'ish' than anything else. Single adult households were getting one packet. Some households with children, especially older children, were getting 'more' than 2 adults per packet.

No its early days to be sure but it's useful information for people who think some amounts are hardly worth contributing.

If 50tl feeds 2 people for 2 weeks then 12.5tl [less than £1.50 a week] feeds an adult for a week!
So I guess a little 4 year old like my granddaughter would be being fed for half of that 12.50tl or less than an ice cream I buy her when she visits?

So if anyone is embarrassed by making ANY kind of contribution, because everyone obviously has less money in their pockets because of this and times are hard, just think for less than a pound you can keep a child from starving?

That's a pretty good thing to do and a good feeling to get for roughly the price of a bottle of efes from the supermarket

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 6 of 26 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Pushing forward. I hope to have 'summary' of yesterdays effort posted here before too long , looking at the 4 main areas we sought progress on after the previous effort and talking a bit about going forward. Before that I am going to post one more 'clip' of feedback resulting from that effort. It is voice mail messaged of thanks. It is in mp3 format and clicking the link should just start download for it should you wish to listen. Just wanted to say something about it. It contains 'thanks' mentioning me by name directly. This has created a degree of reluctance in posting it that would not be there had it not mentioned me by name. This reluctance could be labelled 'humility' but really it is about me and who I tell myself I am in my own head and not about people we are trying to help and what may be best for them.

http://visionmatters.co.uk/COSH/thanks.mp3

coming up - the summary and then on to the 'next thing'.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 7 of 26 in Discussion

Post by erol »

So the four main areas we sought to improve on after in house COSH 'effort 1' talked about here were

Content of 'packages'
Sourcing of produce
Record Keeping
SD

Content of 'packages'

I think we made real progress on this. Going from zero fresh produce in 'effort 1' packages to substantial amounts in 'effort 2'. Also the addition of things like eggs I think is progress. I hope also that this progress is 'evident' for those who may be looking. We will continue to try and make progress on this going forward and continue to keep 'ideas' in our heads like finding an utilising expertise on 'nutrition' if we can and many other 'ideas'. I do expect any subsequent progress on this front will not be as dramatic as the jump from effort 1 to effort 2.

Sourcing of produce.

Again I think we made real progress on this. Both the sourcing and collection of entirely free product and the leveraging of 'bulk buying / moving up the supply chain' to obtain better prices saw improvement and again I hope the results of this are 'self evident'. We will continue to try our best to make progress on these fronts going forward. There may be some 'regression' with regards to entirely 'free produce' as we have grabbed the 'lowest hanging fruit' (pun intended) but we will continue to seek out as much free produce as we can get and store with minimal wastage before distribution out in to the field.

Record Keeping and SD to come

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 26 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Re the fresh produce is there a cheap, easy way to preserve it that anyone knows of? We seems to have some very talented cooks on here.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 9 of 26 in Discussion

Post by erol »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Fri 24 Apr 2020 3:26 pm
Re the fresh produce is there a cheap, easy way to preserve it that anyone knows of? We seems to have some very talented cooks on here.
Thank you for the input and suggestion. I am open to all ideas. There is a concern for me with any form of 'home made' food processing in terms of the chance of 'harming' someone inadvertently and in terms of putting us under necessary scrutiny from authorities charged with protecting the public from food dangers. We are already 'tip toeing' around so many 'regulations' across so many areas that any increase in doing this would have to offer very large and easily realisable benefits for me to be able to consider it.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 26 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Of course it has to be safe and doable as well. Also containers will be a factor but if there is free stuff available much of it will be seasonal so any that you can save from rotting is worth investigating.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 11 of 26 in Discussion

Post by erol »

continuing with 'four main areas' we sought to improve on after in house COSH 'effort 1' talked about here were

record keeping

This is a tricky one and attempts at implementing it are 'out of sequence' - that is we attempted to collect data for a database that did not yet exist. There can be no doubt that attempting to combine 'collecting data' with 'distributing help' slowed us down considerably. It is also a classic example where simple sounding 'theory' crashes in to reality. The idea that you ask people you are providing help to 'how many adults and children of what ages are there in this household' sounds so simple. Reality is far from this. That is before you start to think about recording who the adults are. So many problems with this from in so many forms and just one example being language. I recall a man answering to the question 'how many children are in his household' with the answer of his 30 plus year old son, just to give one example. So far attempts to push forward with 'record keeping' have not yet provided gains that justify the time and other things lost from these attempts.

Having said all that I still currently consider this to be a corner stone on which so many potential benefits in so many areas and in so many ways can be built going forward even if we can only get it 'partly right'. It is also key in terms of if we can keep scaling up as I dream we might be able to. Data is my professional background. Databases, data structure, data integrity, data systems and use of such has for large portions of my life been the means by which I have put food in my own mouth and luxuries in my house. I also am lucky to have direct access to resource in these areas, in terms of willing and capable people and platform resource. Progress is being made 'in the background' and I now have an actual database in to which there would be some point in entering data in to it. I will, if I can get done today a few other things first, be spending tomorrow on trying to take the mass of incoherent paper and notes and photos spread across different devices and platforms generated from our efforts yesterday that currently are of no use to man nor beast for anything and trying to get them in to this database. I may be rather 'absent' tomorrow to a large degree. Watch this space.

to come next - progress on SD

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 12 of 26 in Discussion

Post by erol »

SD

Everyone involved in COSH understands the extreme importance in SD, or 'anti spread measures' and the protection they provide. Protection of course from being potential vectors by which the virus can spread but also protection from COSH as an effort being 'shut down'. Our goal and aim, which we are a long way from currently, would to be an exemplar on such things.

We made real progress on this. Implementing procedures like disinfecting of vehicles, door handles, sterling wheels, boots, gear shifts and more before our first visit and after each one, not just in terms of 'in theory' but also to a very large degree in practice. Also mass increase of use of hand sanitising before after and during visits and various other procedures, mask use, glove use frequency of glove change and disposal and other things. We will continue to look to improve on these kinds of things both in theory and in practice as we move forward.

In terms of actual real world SD, everyone keeping 2 meters apart from everyone else, in the process of collecting data and distributing help packages we are far from 'good' yet. This is not from lack of concern or desire but from just practical reality. I see routes to substantial improvement in this area that are related to 'systems'. What I mean, to give one example, is if we can separate the process of 'getting people on the database' from that of 'delivering help', then the degree to which we can in real world practice reach the ideal of no one ever gets closer than 2 meters to anyone else, will increase. For example we have on our first two efforts been meeting up with a 'community leader / focal point' of one particular community who then comes with us to go round those households in need that he knows of. Going forward I hope to move to a system whereby he himself and alone can go out and get the necessary people 'on our database', and then as they are added we will endeavour to get help out to them , if it is the first time we have helped them, within 48 hours of that and quicker in extreme emergencies. In short separating roles and functions will make achieving SD goals vastly easier.

next - general summary and some going forward stuff.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 13 of 26 in Discussion

Post by erol »

going forward

we will be transitioning away from the model of
allocate a sum of money and set a notional 'packet' number and a day for distribution
run around trying to accumulate as much stuff for free and by purchase to go in to a 50-60TL 'packet' for that delivery run
make up packets and then go and find people to deliver them to
to a model of
keep ongoing stock in a central location constantly fed with free stuff as and when possible and bought stuff where necessary bought, leveraging volume.
do more frequent possibly even daily and multiple daily targeted runs delivering 50-60TL packets to people we already know are in need
We will also be looking to create where possible ongoing two way communication, principally via whatsapp, between COSH and our end users.

And lastly for this round up

we have from today started recording mileage of the use of peoples cars that will be reimbursed to those people at some point in the future at a per kilometre rate yet to be established. Help via discussion here on what this rate should be would be welcome, indeed I consider such essential vs me or anyone in COSH directly simply plucking a figure out of thin air. Of course all such 'admin' costs and payments will be made public in the usual COSH style.

Just one more COSH thread to do and I am done for today.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 14 of 26 in Discussion

Post by erol »

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 15 of 26 in Discussion

Post by erol »

erol wrote:
Fri 24 Apr 2020 7:52 pm
we have from today started recording mileage of the use of peoples cars that will be reimbursed to those people at some point in the future at a per kilometre rate yet to be established. Help via discussion here on what this rate should be would be welcome, indeed I consider such essential vs me or anyone in COSH directly simply plucking a figure out of thin air. Of course all such 'admin' costs and payments will be made public in the usual COSH style.
Please we need help with this - what is the 'right' reimbursement per kilometre for individuals car use on behalf of COSH for those who can no longer viably pay this out of their own pockets. Please 'you lot' get involved, work it out, argue about it here and then just give me a figure. Please.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 26 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

(>:)(
erol wrote:
Mon 27 Apr 2020 3:00 pm
erol wrote:
Please we need help with this - what is the 'right' reimbursement per kilometre for individuals car use on behalf of COSH for those who can no longer viably pay this out of their own pockets. Please 'you lot' get involved, work it out, argue about it here and then just give me a figure. Please.
To do it 'accurately' you would need to know what the vehicle does to the km, for example we have 2 vehicles both diesel , on a full tank one does 450 - 470km the other does 450- 480 miles. I then when I fill up look to see how many litres I have put in to the miles or KM as some garages fill up to the first click off and others fill to the brim. Wear and tear? you could go on and on. Definitely individual

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 26 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

erol wrote:
erol wrote:
I know this is a silly question but how much is a litre of fuel, I never look?

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 26 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Mon 27 Apr 2020 4:04 pm
erol wrote:
erol wrote:
I know this is a silly question but how much is a litre of fuel, I never look?
Someone has to go first so I'll have a go.
I think bog standard average economy for an average car is around 16.5 KM per litre, pick up truck around 6.5 KM.
So if the price is say 5TL a litre then 1 KM is costing you around 30 kuruş in a car and 75 kuruş in a truck.
Add on a touch of wear and tear which shouldn't be too much as cars and trucks don't seem to depreciate at that fast a rate out here.
I'd think 35 kuruş for an average car 80 kuruş for a truck and something middling, say 55 kuruş for a big old car such as a 4x4.

That's my guesstimate

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 19 of 26 in Discussion

Post by erol »

A long time ago when I worked in UK and used my own car for company stuff - there was a single set amount paid per kilometre regardless of vehicle type that was supposed to be an average figure for fuel costs and a small amount for depreciation. It is this kind of thing I am looking for that is as simple as possible and as fairt as possible. My Hyundai i30 - average sized petrol 1.6 engine shows on dashboard it has done average (since last reset) 7.7 litres of fuel to 100 kilometres travelled.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 26 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

erol wrote:
Mon 27 Apr 2020 4:27 pm
A long time ago when I worked in UK and used my own car for company stuff - there was a single set amount paid per kilometre regardless of vehicle type that was supposed to be an average figure for fuel costs and a small amount for depreciation. It is this kind of thing I am looking for that is as simple as possible and as fairt as possible. My Hyundai i30 - average sized petrol 1.6 engine shows on dashboard it has done average (since last reset) 7.7 litres of fuel to 100 kilometres travelled.
There you go then, that's 13 KM per litre.
So if the fuel is 5tl a litre, and I have no idea of that, then that's a cost is 38 kurus per KM. Maybe put a few kurus on per KM lets say up to 41-42 kurus per km and you'll have your figure.

I'm assuming for practical reasons you have a few different vehicles in use? Maybe 4x4s and or trucks which will have less of an economy but will carry more so have people do as you did and measure the economy and come up with 3 figures, normal car, beast of a car and truck.

At the end of the day you can always backdate these amounts. Everyone is on their honour here and the most cynical person in the world, which for arguments sake is probably me, would say that even if you did have a corrupt fiddling mentality you wouldn't gravitate to a small charitable venture such as this so don't overthink this.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 21 of 26 in Discussion

Post by erol »

So what is the price of 95 petrol here currently per litre ? Someone must know ?

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 26 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

95 is 5.36 TL a litre

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 26 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

come_on_aylin wrote:
Mon 27 Apr 2020 5:32 pm
95 is 5.36 TL a litre
OK by my back of fag packet calculations that makes 41 kurus a KM, call it 45 to cover wear and tear. Or to simplify it more if there are regular/particular trips then measure them and have a variety of tariffs eg Lapta to Karsiyaka round trip 10 TL
There is little to be gained by wasting hours that could be spent "in the field' calculating expenses to the nearest 20 kurus as I said everyone is on their honour here plus no-one can make enough out of their petrol claims to make the effort worthwhile.

Also would suggest if you are using bigger vehicles on occasions to deliver then re-measure because a 4x4 or truck is obviously going to be far less economical.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 24 of 26 in Discussion

Post by erol »

45 kurush per kilometre it is then. Anyone 'not ok' with that figure please speak up here. Thank you all who helped sort this.

JoandJelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 26 in Discussion

Post by JoandJelly »

erol wrote:
Fri 24 Apr 2020 9:41 am

ps if someone could confirm they can see the photos on the links from that spreadsheet would be good to confirm I got permissions right etc. Thanks
I can see the photos on the links.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 26 of 26 in Discussion

Post by erol »

JoandJelly wrote:
Tue 28 Apr 2020 6:30 pm
erol wrote:
Fri 24 Apr 2020 9:41 am

I can see the photos on the links.
Thanks for the confirm. Appreciated.

Return to “CHARITY & SOCIETY - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”