Esentepe beach - multiple fires deliberately lit!

General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Esentepe beach - multiple fires deliberately lit!

•   Message 1 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

Notwithstanding the damage done by diggers now they have lit fires to burn rubbish on the beach... given the recent spate of wild fires plaguing the island this seems like madness.... one spark is all it takes.
Esentepe.jpg

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Esentepe beach - multiple fires deliberately lit!

•   Message 2 of 42 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

There does appear to be some really s++++d people in that area. Does it start at the top of the Belediye and work its way down?

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

As can see in this photo they have erected a lot of beach umbrella support poles, right where the turtles would nest... if they weren't confused by the builders lamps ...
Esentepe.jpg

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 42 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Absolute Nutters.!!!!!!

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Brinsley »

The person to contact about this is Ketcho/Jimmy from the 'Grapevine' restaurant in Girne who is a trustee of the beach and the turtle preservation society. He is now very elderly so how pro-active he will be I do not know but might direct you into the right place.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 42 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Groucho wrote:
Wed 20 May 2020 3:30 pm
As can see in this photo they have erected a lot of beach umbrella support poles, right where the turtles would nest...
The ones that reach about ankle height?
Small child running along the beach, trips.....what could go wrong?

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

Brinsley wrote:
Wed 20 May 2020 5:49 pm
The person to contact about this is Ketcho/Jimmy from the 'Grapevine' restaurant in Girne who is a trustee of the beach and the turtle preservation society. He is now very elderly so how pro-active he will be I do not know but might direct you into the right place.
I am in daily touch with Robin Snape. Unfortunately the society faces challenges on many fronts this year and with no students due to lockdown the project is severely stretched.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

Robin has named and shamed them with Environment Dept.

I watched a belediye man chuck petrol on a fire this AM. Unbelievably cavalier.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 42 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Unbelievable with all the fires that have wiped out so much in the past few days. It's hard to imagine that people can be so darned stupid. Glad that they have been named and shamed.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

alphamike wrote:
Thu 21 May 2020 7:03 am
Unbelievable with all the fires that have wiped out so much in the past few days. It's hard to imagine that people can be so darned stupid. Glad that they have been named and shamed.
:+1:)

it's tinder dry everywhere one stray spark is all it takes... wood fuelled BBQ should be banned... sorry but loss of life is a distinct possibility along with environmental damage.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

Now, just to really try and scupper the turtle nesting people are camping on the beach.... and pontoon of blue plastic interlocking cubes has been refloated as another obstruction for the turtles.
Esentepe.jpg
Last edited by Groucho on Mon 25 May 2020 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 42 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

So sad. The turtle beaches should be cordoned off and protected from the public during the season. I must confess that I didn't know that turtles came to Esentepe, just knew about Alagadi in that area.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

alphamike wrote:
Fri 22 May 2020 6:09 am
So sad. The turtle beaches should be cordoned off and protected from the public during the season. I must confess that I didn't know that turtles came to Esentepe, just knew about Alagadi in that area.
There are over eighty beaches with turtle nesting activity in the north... looks like that number going down.. (:Z)(

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 14 of 42 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

Unfortunately we're stuck in the Spew K and having only stayed in Esentepe twice since purchasing last October we've not had much time to wander round looking for a beach. In fact i didn't even know there was a beach in Esentepe apart from the rocky "wasteland". In fact i didn't even know there was a beach in Esentepe apart from the rocky "wasteland" opposite the Martyrs of Democracy monument. Where is this one coming from there, turning right i assume?
Last edited by MnM on Wed 27 Jan 2021 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

war horse
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 42 in Discussion

Post by war horse »

You will find the beach entrance at the side of Tempo, there is a tarmac road just follow it.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

MnM wrote:
Fri 22 May 2020 8:30 am
Unfortunately we're stuck in the Spew K and having only stayed in Esentepe twice since purchasing last October we've not had much time to wander round looking for a beach. In fact i didn't even know there was a beach in Esentepe apart from the rocky "wasteland" opposite the Martyrs of Democracy monument. Where is this one coming from there, turning right i assume?
The Esentepe public beach (Halk Plaj) is found to the East of the village, so at the bottom of the hill, turn right and then off to the left at the Stone Castle sign (almost a U turn) it is also signposted 'Esentepe Halk Plaj' turn right at the T junction at the bottom and follow the road around the dog--leg (L-R) till you come to the car park above the beach. There is also access via the road just before Tempo although that was blocked off last time I went that way, but I think it's been cleared now. as I saw a van coming down that route a few days ago.

When it's open you will find a beach bar cafe there that sells popular fast food like burgers etc. I've never eaten there but I hear good reports.
Last edited by Groucho on Fri 22 May 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 17 of 42 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

Ah thanks for that, not too far away from where we'll be / are. Hopefully the above will have stopped by then and the turtles can do their stuff.
Last edited by MnM on Wed 27 Jan 2021 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

£eagle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 42 in Discussion

Post by £eagle »

If the pontoon was relaunched it is not in the bay now.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 42 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

One good thing has come from the fires, we've got to see what Groucho really looks like. (Or has he done a KC?)

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 20 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

frontalman wrote:
Mon 25 May 2020 5:33 am
One good thing has come from the fires, we've got to see what Groucho really looks like. (Or has he done a KC?)

'Ere... Watcha mean?

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 42 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Works have been ordered to stop at Esentepe beach. https://www.kibrisgazetesi.com/kibris/i ... 89831.html

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

£eagle wrote:
Sun 24 May 2020 3:20 pm
If the pontoon was relaunched it is not in the bay now.
The pontoon has now washed-up in the east bay an even more important turtle nesting area...
ebe.jpg

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

Eb 13th May.jpg
Just so there is no doubt about the falsehoods being made in defence of the construction works... this photo taken on 13th May clearly shows a JCB-type digger destroying a sandy section of the beach...

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 42 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Was the pontoon for people to swim out to and dive off it?

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

sophie wrote:
Mon 25 May 2020 11:22 am
Was the pontoon for people to swim out to and dive off it?
I believe the intention was that jet-skis would use them.... another alarming prospect for turtles....

£eagle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 42 in Discussion

Post by £eagle »

The Turtle Beach notification board on Esentepe beach states, inter alia, no jet skis within 1.5 kilometres of the shore.

All the other prohibitions (no fires, no vehicles on beach, no litter, no visits after 8pm, no night lights no digging beach plants ) are all ignored as well.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 42 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Oh for Gods sake, preserve us from the inhabitants (local?) of Esentepe. I thought we had some "numpties" down here, but Esentepe beats them hands down.

Geoff1131
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Geoff1131 »

sophie, we could write a book. This is only a snapshot of life over this side.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 42 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

Keithcaley wrote:
Mon 25 May 2020 5:44 am
frontalman wrote:
Mon 25 May 2020 5:33 am

'Ere... Watcha mean?
You know what I mean, you Adonis, you.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

Well at last overnight a turtle laid her eggs, digging her nest amongst the piles of crap (plastic pontoon blocks, sunbeds and shades) left by the belediye as their idea of preparing the beach for tourists ...

Proving conclusively that the work being done there encroaches on the turtles natural nesting area. Disproving the mayor's contention reported in the press, that they are not interfering with same.

Also proving that he refuses to learn about turtles in true keeping with his money first before the environment stance.
ebe.jpg

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 42 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Oh how wonderful and Ya Boo Sucks to Mr Mayor. Ain't nature grand? I hope the photos go viral in order for him to do something constructive and beneficial.

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Groucho wrote:
Wed 27 May 2020 7:23 am
Well at last overnight a turtle laid her eggs, digging her nest amongst the piles of crap (plastic pontoon blocks, sunbeds and shades) left by the belediye as their idea of preparing the beach for tourists ...

Proving conclusively that the work being done there encroaches on the turtles natural nesting area. Disproving the mayor's contention reported in the press, that they are not interfering with same.

Also proving that he refuses to learn about turtles in true keeping with his money first before the environment stance.

ebe.jpg
Is the esentepe beach a protected beach?

Is that hole in the sand off a turtle and if so, I presume that was done at night? Surely they collect the sun beds in at night?

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

Trigger wrote:
Wed 27 May 2020 11:24 am
Groucho wrote:

ebe.jpg

Is that hole in the sand off a turtle and if so, I presume that was done at night? Surely they collect the sun beds in at night?
Yes laid overnight, the students excavated the nest this am to confirm success and consider move to safety or recover.

No they don't collect the sun beds in at night.

Is the Esentepe beach a protected beach? Yes, it's meant to be but a vandal has other ideas

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 42 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

The last photo Groucho posted showing turtle eggs has made it to local press. http://www.yeniduzen.com/yumurtlama-ala ... 27445h.htm

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 42 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

The Esentepe Belediye Başkanı remains the arrogant, ignorant, dishonest, self-centered pr-t he has always been with little regard for any other consideration than his pocket. However, the locals re-elected him so they must be 'taman' with his wasteful and expensive egotistical ways and we 'yabancıların' will have to learn to live with it or do as I did and move away from his area of influence. (:Z)(

Trigger
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Trigger »

Groucho wrote:
Wed 27 May 2020 11:41 am
Trigger wrote:
Groucho wrote:

ebe.jpg

Yes laid overnight, the students excavated the nest this am to confirm success and consider move to safety or recover.

Is the Esentepe beach a protected beach? Yes, it's meant to be but a vandal has other ideas

Was on my phone earlier and didn’t see the turtle eggs. It’s a very sad state of affairs. The planet is knackered when people treat it with such contempt. You would have hoped people might have learnt something from what has been happening all around the world these last few months, but I very much doubt they will. Cash is king at the end of the day.

Who took the photo btw? If it was me, I would post it on Instagram and Twitter and tag global agencies into it.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 37 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

Trigger wrote:
Wed 27 May 2020 12:58 pm
Groucho wrote:
Wed 27 May 2020 11:41 am
Trigger wrote:

Was on my phone earlier and didn’t see the turtle eggs. It’s a very sad state of affairs. The planet is knackered when people treat it with such contempt. You would have hoped people might have learnt something from what has been happening all around the world these last few months, but I very much doubt they will. Cash is king at the end of the day.

Who took the photo btw? If it was me, I would post it on Instagram and Twitter and tag global agencies into it.
The project's student workers, such as there are this year, took this one whilst checking the nest.... all the others over the period 13th May - 26th May were taken by me...

I have been told that the EPD and MTCP have asserted their desire that the images should be pushed far and wide, to bring shame on the perpetrator and as such the image has been placed in the public domain and can be legitimately be used anyone wishing to help.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 38 of 42 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Groucho wrote:
Sat 30 May 2020 7:28 am
You need to let it go... before it devours you.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 39 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

erol wrote:
Sat 30 May 2020 7:37 am
Groucho wrote:
What a pathetic response... now you are acting like spoiled child.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 40 of 42 in Discussion

Post by erol »

Groucho wrote:
Sat 30 May 2020 11:28 am
erol wrote:
Sat 30 May 2020 7:37 am
Groucho wrote:
What a pathetic response... now you are acting like spoiled child.
My intent was exactly to try and demonstrate to you specifically what a patronising, pointless and pathetic response it was. I am glad my message seems to have got through.

To be clear if you can explain me to me in a way I can understand why the reply was not pathetic and childish when you first used it but is when I then quoted your own words back to you , I will happily apologise and retract it. If you can not then I suggest that maybe you should try reflecting on your decision to use it in the first place ?

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 41 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

My advice to let it go on your crusade against DC, was because you were digging deeper and deeper in what had become a pointless attempt to bludgeon those who held a different view in a clearly vain attempt to persuade them otherwise.... it was not meant to patronise it was a plea to let it drop because now that the Durham police have declared there was no breach of the rules there is no point in further discussion of the matter.

You've done it to death... don't you think?

You persuaded no one that I can see to agree with you who did not already do so before you started the poll.

So now you have decided to hijack this thread which has absolutely no connection to UK politics.

I should have known...

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 42 of 42 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

https://exeter.hubbub.net/p/Turtles2020 ... OXoiYYRBFs

We could really use a little financial help this year in particular...

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”