Trade Negotiations post Brexit. The position of the UK

Here you can comment on political news, create threads for open discussion.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Trade Negotiations post Brexit. The position of the UK

Post by PoshinDevon »

A very interesting read which will no doubt spark some debate on this forum.

Take the time to read the letter sent out by ‪Chief Brexit Negotiator David Frost. He pulls no punches in his latest communication with M. Barnier, systematically dismantling the arguments the EU uses to justify its unacceptable proposals.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... .05.20.pdf
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Trade Negotiations post Brexit. The position of the UK

Post by sophie »

Marvellous isn't it? Just think, we were once a trusted and fully paid up member of that lot. As slippery as a bucket full of eels.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Positive move.
The problem the EU has is that if they let the UK leave with too good a deal then it may spark an exodus.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Keithcaley »

sophie wrote:
Wed 20 May 2020 10:07 am
Marvellous isn't it? Just think, we were once a trusted and fully paid up member of that lot. As slippery as a bucket full of eels.

sophie, are you saying that our lot aren't as slippery? :)

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by erol »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Wed 20 May 2020 10:19 am
Positive move.
The problem the EU has is that if they let the UK leave with too good a deal then it may spark an exodus.
Well no one could have possibly seen that coming. No need to worry though we hold all the cards. They need us more than we need them. They will not risk selling us less Mercedes and wine. All we want is 'close' to what Norway has but we do not want what Norway has in terms of other obligations to the EU. All we want is close to what Canada agreed (took over 7 years to agree) or Japan (took over 7 years to agree) or what was failed to be agreed with US (took over 7 years to not agree). Oh and all before the end of the year. Can not say fairer than that guv.

All the 'deals' talked about between other parties, Norway , Canada, Japan and others represented a reward to both parties of less trade barriers leading to the potential of more trade both ways vs where both parties were starting from. Any deal we seek can only represent more barriers to trade and co operation for both parties than what we have currently. That was our choice and ours alone and we will have to live with it as will those who are also affected but had no such choice. That is how sovereignty works.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by sophie »

Keith, of course we are, but we are more sophisticated about how we play the game. After all, we've been playing it before Henry VIII was a boy. I still believe they need us more than we need them. Or maybe that was prior Covid-19? Regardless, there was a distinct fraying around the edges and the fact that Macon must be aware of sharp little sharp digs in his back these days. All has a bearing on the subject.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waddo »

" Any deal we seek can only represent more barriers to trade and co operation for both parties than what we have currently. That was our choice and ours alone and we will have to live with it as will those who are also affected but had no such choice. That is how sovereignty works."

But the Big Red Buss never mentioned any of that did it? And of course Covid is just another type of flue but the Government will protect the most vulnerable first - another Red Bus statement.

Not against the Govt, not interested in Left Wing/Right Wing or whatever the days description of the Wings are. Wonder why the tax payer has to pay so much to keep people in one building when they have proven they can work from home the same as normal people, I note it is because they have to show the Public that they are behind them and working for them (when not having a cheap lunch on their dollar), really just a waste and wishing to stay in the 1700's so the public won't understand what they are talking about!

Now - Trade Negotiations - They are a lot like face masks here - some will have them, some won't have them, some won't bother, some will wear them as chin guards or mouth guards and I have even seen a hair guard mask. In my mind I see more money being spent on something that will end in the later part of December, if not sooner because nothing will be settled, without any outcome apart from the UK crashing out of the EU with no deal. Good luck with that!

In the end the "Experts" will say it is a good thing and should have happened years ago, the other "Experts" will say it's a disaster and I told you so but you did not listen. I can not see, for the life of me, how anyone can predict with any certainty that the UK will get a better deal by leaving than it had by staying.

To me, it seems like the UK are sharing a glass of beer with the EU so they are negotiating the drinking order but they want to drink their half first or they are going to spit in the glass and go home - the big problem is that the UK own the half of beer that is at the bottom of the glass!

Whatever, this will probably end up as another long winded discussion on how the west was won or be full of sensible predictions that are simply guesses, I will look forward to reading what is going to happen to me post Brexit - lol.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Hedge-fund »

Just posturing on both sides.

You would think no-one in the press has ever negotiated something in their entire lives.

Ignore the noise - focus on the facts which will miraculously be agreed much closer to the deadlines.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

The letter was sent out by the UKs chief negotiator, the person tasked by and representing the U.K. government and its interest.. With this in mind I am so slightly confused why the press have been mentioned?

Of course this is a bit of posturing; however I still think it makes for a very interesting read. From what the chief negotiator has written to his EU counterpart it is clear that there are a few key areas which are red lines and cannot be crossed. We shall see. When it comes down to it, if a deal is agreed both sides will say it’s a good deal.

At the moment I think it’s fair to say that the discussions on any future trade deal between the U.K. and the EU are not making much progress as we enter the last 6 months of this year.

I have said all along that the U.K. has never fully embraced the European dream. Maybe it’s our history, our culture, our sense of fair play or just bloody mindedness.Whatever it is it’s something to hold on to.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Keithcaley »

Don't tell me that we've started up on this subject again! :(

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

Think the last Brexit topic was more about the vote and the reasons for staying in the EU or leaving. We have now left the EU and now it’s onto the next and more important part of leaving which is a future trade deal (or not).

We have had 8 weeks of Covid 19 so maybe time for something different?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Keithcaley »

We have had 8 weeks of Covid 19 so maybe time for something different?

Something different....

....hmmm.....now where's that bottle of GIN?

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by sophie »

Keith, what are you talking about. GIN isn't different for you. Stop kidding everyone.

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Brinsley »

Boris, Trump, Putin, Bolsonaro, Jung Un, along with many others with extreme nationalistic melodramatic 'right-wing' ideas of their own self-importance think that they are immortal and do not care one iota about the well-being of Humanity!

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

Brinsley wrote:
Wed 20 May 2020 3:57 pm
Boris, Trump, Putin, Bolsonaro, Jung Un, along with many others with extreme nationalistic melodramatic 'right-wing' ideas of their own self-importance think that they are immortal and do not care one iota about the well-being of Humanity!
Well that’s one point of view! A bit harsh on Boris I would say but each to their own.

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Brinsley »

Sorry, forgot Erdogan and Orban; all more interested their respective Swiss bank accounts than worry about international trade agreements which benefits the masses, even of their own ingenious inhabitants!

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by sophie »

Brinsley, do you really mean ingenious inhabitants? I suspect not.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Keithcaley »

sophie wrote:
Wed 20 May 2020 3:20 pm
Keith, what are you talking about. GIN isn't different for you. Stop kidding everyone.

I was talking about a different bottle of GIN.

I think that those covid moths or something must have got at the last one!

I certainly don't remember actually drinking it - which must prove something or other... ;)

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Brinsley »

Correct, typing error! Should read 'indigenous' and the other mistake I made was; melodramatic which should read 'megalomaniac', but both work! Too busy trying to get the cap-top off my bottle of local gin with two pliers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

erol wrote:
Wed 20 May 2020 11:22 am

Well no one could have possibly seen that coming. No need to worry though we hold all the cards. They need us more than we need them. They will not risk selling us less Mercedes and wine.
UK, America, Israel bad everywhere else good etc etc

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Brinsley wrote:
Wed 20 May 2020 3:57 pm

Jung Un
Is right wing?
I know anyone to the right of Momentum is labelled right wing/fascist these days but haven’t even seen their reach extend that far

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Keithcaley »

Two pliers?

Is that a pair of pliers, or two pairs of pliers?

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Keithcaley »

Jung Un

Is that pronounced Young 'un? :) :) :)

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Brinsley »

Kim Jong-un
Last sound of your last exciting bedroom romp! Trump said he loved him!

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Keithcaley »

You're mad, you are... Barking! :)

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Brinsley »

Keith, why are always correct & 'right'? Mind you, your 'right' wing tendencies would lead anyone up the barking path! No dogs allowed!!!!!!!!!!!!

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

Trade negotiation have never been easy like most high level business negotiations.
Both sides understandably want to secure the best possible deal. Threats, sparring and exchange of words are for the purpose of maintaining a level of support from the various public factions, press, large and small businesses indeed anyone with a vested interest in a deal. That's just about everyone then!
I suspect talks will go right to the wire with many more well reported exchanges of words, statements and threats.
Like any negotiation. The most skilled negotiators and a strong hand of cards will usually lead to a winning position.
The UK hand is at best reasonable but under the cloak of defiance is actually in my opinion, weak.
Why?
Because the Union has strength that can replace anything the UK brings to the table.
London can be replaced by any of several financial centers.
Manufacturing can easily take place anywhere where labour and facilities are available.
Services. Likewise.
The UK has rather little apart from a shopping list (trade) to barter upon. The certain recession that we will be in in 2021 will only weaken that card.

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Brinsley »

A reasonable personal weighted analysis of the current impasse by waz-24-7.
My biggest gripe is Boris lied and lied his way into number 10 by whatever means he thought fit by brainwashing the forever gullible nonthinking 'Great British Public'! (Not all, thank goodness). His one total aspiration in life, from a child, was to rule the World!
Buffoons belong with the Baboons, where he should be exiled for life!!

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

Boris is showing to be somewhat out of touch on both COVID and most certainly against the opposition, who led by Keir Starmer during parliamentary questions. are finding a new vigour in challenging the government.
I fear that when the COVID enquiry is done the current Government will be severely challenged. If a bad deal or no deal comes out of negotiations then I see a real opportunity for Labour to gain control.
Boris knows this and his buoyancy after winning a decisive majority and mandate may soon be come deflated to the point he is ejected with his government from no 10.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Wed 20 May 2020 9:42 pm
Trade negotiation have never been easy like most high level business negotiations.
Both sides understandably want to secure the best possible deal. Threats, sparring and exchange of words are for the purpose of maintaining a level of support from the various public factions, press, large and small businesses indeed anyone with a vested interest in a deal. That's just about everyone then!
I suspect talks will go right to the wire with many more well reported exchanges of words, statements and threats.
Like any negotiation. The most skilled negotiators and a strong hand of cards will usually lead to a winning position.
The UK hand is at best reasonable but under the cloak of defiance is actually in my opinion, weak.
Why?
Because the Union has strength that can replace anything the UK brings to the table.
Manufacturing can easily take place anywhere where labour and facilities are available.
Services. Likewise.
The UK has rather little apart from a shopping list (trade) to barter upon. The certain recession that we will be in in 2021 will only weaken that card.
It’s still a very good letter IMHO and explains clearly why the U.K. cannot accept the EU demands.

This is about securing a future trade deal and not shopping list of wants. Of course if a deal, fair and equal to both sides is not obtainable then the U.K. also has the option of walking away.

As for recession, I believe that any recession as a result of Covid 19 will impact all countries in Europe and not just the U.K.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

Post by kibsolar1999 »

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waddo »

Nice reply, well balanced and put from the man who speaks on behalf of the club the UK wants to leave, whilst at the same time the UK wants to retain the privileges of being part of the club, provided it no longer has to pay the club dues or abide by the club rules. Or, it will take it's ball and go home!

IMHO, I think that the UK, being led by the scruffiest man in Europe, having taken over that mantle by the ex Labour Party Leader, will simply "Get it Done" and crash out of the club.

As POSH has so rightly said: "As for recession, I believe that any recession as a result of Covid 19 will impact all countries in Europe and not just the U.K." and I fully agree. However, whilst the rest of Europe, the majority of which remain part of the club, will have each other to assist themselves through a recession, the UK will not! That is the worrying part or should be, for the UK.

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by wanderer »

IDS was being interviewed yesterday about the "Paddy wack" better known as the Irish border

Paraphrasing if we do not apply the appropriate a tariff to goods going to the island of Ireland the EU can do us for breaching state subsidy rules
It seems that's where the Trojan horse is

We must stop transitioning by December 31st or we will be stuck with the European 1/2 Trillion bailout fund and the bank bail out that's being worked on for Italy and Spain

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waddo wrote:
Thu 21 May 2020 8:15 am

However, whilst the rest of Europe, the majority of which remain part of the club, will have each other to assist themselves through a recession, the UK will not! That is the worrying part or should be, for the UK.
Be interesting if Italy had a referendum now

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waddo wrote:
the club the UK wants to leave, whilst at the same time the UK wants to retain the privileges of being part of the club, provided it no longer has to pay the club dues or abide by the club rules. Or, it will take it's ball and go home!
I think club is always a good analogy for the EU.
Its a club that we missed all the early joiners benefits on and now we are going to enter a deep recession like any household you have to make cuts. I'm sure there will be a lot of households looking at those £900 gym memberships and thinking do we really get much value out of that, its a lot of money.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waddo »

£900 gym memberships!!!!!!! Let me see now a 50CL bottle of Carlsburg is 10TL (round figures for ease of working), given that 1CL weighs 10 Grams a bottle must contain 50X10 Grams (500 Grams) of beer. Two bottles would therefore be 1Kg of beer at a maximum cost of 20TL or £2.40 on today's rate!

Provided things don't change and they stay the same, £900 would buy me 750 bottles of beer that I could drink at 2 bottles per day for a year! Two bottles weighing 1Kg and drunk at 2 per day, for the first 6 months of the year would mean that I had lifted 182.5 Kg in that time as part of my exercise regime. Now if I add on the exercise received from walking back and forth to the fridge, actually carrying all the beer from the shop to home and stocking the fridge and even taking the empty bottles to the recycle place for disposal. I don' think that I would gain as much enjoyment out of Gym membership as I do from Carlsburg!

CARLSBURG - PROBABLY THE FITTEST LARGER IN THE WORLD!!!!!

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Keithcaley »

You may not have meant it, but if you did, I thought that it was very funny...
... LARGER... :)

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

waddo wrote:
Nice reply, well balanced and put from the man who speaks on behalf of the club the UK wants to leave, whilst at the same time the UK wants to retain the privileges of being part of the club, provided it no longer has to pay the club dues or abide by the club rules. Or, it will take it's ball and go home!

IMHO, I think that the UK, being led by the scruffiest man in Europe, having taken over that mantle by the ex Labour Party Leader, will simply "Get it Done" and crash out of the club.

As POSH has so rightly said: "As for recession, I believe that any recession as a result of Covid 19 will impact all countries in Europe and not just the U.K." and I fully agree. However, whilst the rest of Europe, the majority of which remain part of the club, will have each other to assist themselves through a recession, the UK will not! That is the worrying part or should be, for the UK.
The U.K. left the “club” earlier this year, this is about the future trade agreements between the “club” and the U.K. Currently what the two letters indicate to me is that there are red lines on both sides that neither feel they can easily remove. The U.K. has cited others who are not members of the “club”, who have agreed trade deals but do not have the same set of rules that the UK are being asked to abide by. The U.K. is rightly questioning why this is so. The next round of talks are crucial, if there is no real progress then leaving without an agreement will look more likely.

Of course members of the EU “club” may well have each other to assist themselves thro a recession; however, what that may cost each member and whether it’s a fair cost across the board is another matter. I am sure there will be some dissenting voices....Italy and Greece to mention just two.

I would prefer a fair deal to be done of course but not at the expense of having to continue accept all the EU demands. We have left the EU and I am heartened that the U.K. is now fighting its corner. Being weak and unclear in our stance as per the previous PMs negotiations to leave the EU was a disaster not only for her but also very divisive and cannot be repeated.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waddo »

"The U.K. left the “club” earlier this year"

Oops, my mistake, I should have said the scruffiest man in the UK not the EU!

"The U.K. has cited others who are not members of the “club”, who have agreed trade deals but do not have the same set of rules that the UK are being asked to abide by"

Just a question but are any of those non members who have agreed trade deals previous members of the club? If not then they were probably treated more fairly as they did not want to have their club and swing it like the UK appears to want!

"Of course members of the EU “club” may well have each other to assist themselves thro a recession; however, what that may cost each member and whether it’s a fair cost across the board is another matter"

That we will never know but then there are 27 of them to assist each other instead of just trying to stand alone, might be better than being 1 against 27 odds?

"Being weak and unclear in our stance as per the previous PMs negotiations to leave the EU was a disaster not only for her but also very divisive and cannot be repeated"

Of course it can be repeated, it's politics to start with, I can not believe that everyone who voted for Brexit did it hoping that the UK would just walk away and start again. Even yourself would prefer a fair deal, so the idea of crashing out is already divisive.

I feel that myself, like many millions of people in the UK are simply waiting to see if Boris will live up to his promises, but as he does not have a brilliant track record in that area, we remain worried for the future of the country - if indeed it still has one! Watch and wait being the only answer, as any power we had has simply been voted away, now it is all down to those we pay to do the best job for us they can.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waddo wrote:
Thu 21 May 2020 2:41 pm

That we will never know but then there are 27 of them to assist each other instead of just trying to stand alone, might be better than being 1 against 27 odds?
In times of struggle it’s often easier to feed one mouth than 18.
I’d be interested to see how Belgium and Poland are going to help Spain and Italy

Kanonier
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Kanonier »

waddo wrote:
Thu 21 May 2020 10:27 am
£900 gym memberships!!!!!!! Let me see now a 50CL bottle of Carlsburg is 10TL (round figures for ease of working), given that 1CL weighs 10 Grams a bottle must contain 50X10 Grams (500 Grams) of beer. Two bottles would therefore be 1Kg of beer at a maximum cost of 20TL or £2.40 on today's rate!

Provided things don't change and they stay the same, £900 would buy me 750 bottles of beer that I could drink at 2 bottles per day for a year! Two bottles weighing 1Kg and drunk at 2 per day, for the first 6 months of the year would mean that I had lifted 182.5 Kg in that time as part of my exercise regime. Now if I add on the exercise received from walking back and forth to the fridge, actually carrying all the beer from the shop to home and stocking the fridge and even taking the empty bottles to the recycle place for disposal. I don' think that I would gain as much enjoyment out of Gym membership as I do from Carlsburg!

CARLSBURG - PROBABLY THE FITTEST LARGER IN THE WORLD!!!!!
[/quote

Plus trips to the 🚽!

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waddo »

ETS, agreed but only if you can source food at a price the consumer can afford and still make a profit! How much fruit and vegetables are busy rotting in the UK fields now because the Poles are not there to pick them? As for Belgium, they may yet survive on beer sales alone and Poland with all its workers stuck in Poland can easily turn up its farming endeavors to assist Spain, Italy will just elect a continuing succession of failing governments until the all have pensions and no need to work at all - lol. Sorry but I have to make a joke of it because there is no apparent answer and I personally dread the next few years should I be fortunate enough to see them. Take care out there.

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Brinsley »

Boris is now able to exchange bodily fluids with impunity whilst bunging his American lover with favourable contracts & dosh whilst London Mayor. London Police will take no further action after investigation!?
Number10 said "Waste of police time"!!??

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

Please remain on topic.

Any further off topic posts will be deleted.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Thu 21 May 2020 7:08 am
waz-24-7 wrote:
Wed 20 May 2020 9:42 pm
Why?
Services. Likewise.
It’s still a very good letter IMHO and explains clearly why the U.K. cannot accept the EU demands.

This is about securing a future trade deal and not shopping list of wants. Of course if a deal, fair and equal to both sides is not obtainable then the U.K. also has the option of walking away.

As for recession, I believe that any recession as a result of Covid 19 will impact all countries in Europe and not just the U.K.
Posh,
no disputing the letter is reasonably put together.

The EU may also walk away and of course both parties lose. There is absolutely no benefit to take that line. I believe a deal will be done at the very last minute.

Yes there will be/is a global recession. The effect of recession at this important time and negotiation make things rather harder. The fact that the recession is not solely a UK issue is no consolation except to those that await to capitalise on the UK s exit from the Union. Certainly a weakened hand of cards makes that player more susceptible to loss.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by waz-24-7 »

As many know I am a pro European.
The task to go out and secure new trade deals and business was always going to be very challenging.
The certain global recession only makes that task even harder.
A trade deal with the EU is in my view essential. To secure this some alignment upon standards and rules will need to be accepted. The EU will not adjust its well established standards policies just to pacify the UK. We actually meet most already .

Free movement of people which has been one ticket of discontent within the BREXIT UK is clearly ( in very recent times)one that leaves many, including the government in a hypocritical position.
How can you threaten life saving care workers who work under the cloud of the ultimate sacrifice be told that they are not welcome in the all British UK.

Tens of thousands of UK workers are losing their jobs every week. Businesses are failing on a daily basis. World recession is a certain.
The transition period should be extended until 2025. This will allow workers to keep their jobs and permit a level of world recovery. NEW trade deals are not top of anyone's agenda now or into next year. This type of negotiation whilst in recession and in a position of weakness does not give me confidence of a good trade deal.
I think to plough on regardless is folly.

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

Post by PoshinDevon »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Thu 21 May 2020 8:53 pm
As many know I am a pro European.
The task to go out and secure new trade deals and business was always going to be very challenging.
The certain global recession only makes that task even harder.
A trade deal with the EU is in my view essential. To secure this some alignment upon standards and rules will need to be accepted. The EU will not adjust its well established standards policies just to pacify the UK. We actually meet most already .

Free movement of people which has been one ticket of discontent within the BREXIT UK is clearly ( in very recent times)one that leaves many, including the government in a hypocritical position.
How can you threaten life saving care workers who work under the cloud of the ultimate sacrifice be told that they are not welcome in the all British UK.

Please provide evidence of who is making threats and who has said life saving care workers are not welcome

Tens of thousands of UK workers are losing their jobs every week. Businesses are failing on a daily basis. World recession is a certain.
The transition period should be extended until 2025. This will allow workers to keep their jobs and permit a level of world recovery. NEW trade deals are not top of anyone's agenda now or into next year. This type of negotiation whilst in recession and in a position of weakness does not give me confidence of a good trade deal.
I think to plough on regardless is folly.
There is absolutely no chance of the transition period being extended to 2025. The government would feel a wave of protest and it would be political suicide. The deadline to obtain a deal or not is approaching fast. It is this very deadline that will keep both sides focussed.

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Mowgli597 »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Thu 21 May 2020 7:32 pm
Please remain on topic.

Any further off topic posts will be deleted.
Mmmmm. Interesting.

Have a dig at Boris and the slap on the wrist comes very quickly.

Taking a topic about bottle tops into the realms of outside toilets and utility furniture (guilty, yer honour!) is left unscathed.

Just saying........ (:Q)

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Keithcaley »

Brinsley and I dıd our damnedest to derail this earlier, sadly to no avail! :(

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Post by Mowgli597 »