Unobtainable?

Share your recipes with other Kibkom members. Find out where to buy food & drink products in the TRNC.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

howardjennings
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Unobtainable?

•   Message 1 of 20 in Discussion

Post by howardjennings »

I wonder if there is anywhere in the TRNC which may stock some of the following which I can't get
now the border is closed.

Rape Seed Oil
Fresh lemon grass
Vegetarian mince
Fresh Limes
Roll Mop Herrings
Washing whitener sachets
Ginger Beer
Fresh Basil

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Unobtainable?

•   Message 2 of 20 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

The only one I can help you with is the fresh basil. Go to a garden centre, like Eminaga, and buy a plant or several, they grow very well here.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

Limes are a tropical plant, lemons and limes normally grow in different geographical areas... some people insist the green lemons here are limes.. they aren't . Lemons grow in abundance here. If limes are to be found they are either imports or grown in a tropical house.

I'm pretty sure you can buy frozen herring and make roll mops, the internet is awash with recipes.
You can make ginger beer - I made it as a lad, powerful stuff.
Last edited by Groucho on Thu 18 Jun 2020 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

If you do find anyone with a lime tree, and they let you take a cutting, you can graft it onto a lemon tree.

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 20 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

Limes are available when in season here several people have trees in their gardens but some trees sold as limes do in fact turn oit to be lemons as said above!
Lemon grass grows really well I have big clumps in my garden you are welcome to some I am in Ozankoy, I just rooted it from the stuff I bought in the South.
My parents used to make ginger beer when I was a child so I am sure you could find a recipe on the internet, I think it is just ginger, yeast & sugar!

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

ozankoys wrote:
Thu 18 Jun 2020 4:10 am
Limes are available when in season here several people have trees in their gardens but some trees sold as limes do in fact turn oit to be lemons as said above!
Lemon grass grows really well I have big clumps in my garden you are welcome to some I am in Ozankoy, I just rooted it from the stuff I bought in the South.
My parents used to make ginger beer when I was a child so I am sure you could find a recipe on the internet, I think it is just ginger, yeast & sugar!
And water...

wjms
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 20 in Discussion

Post by wjms »

Have seen vegetarian quorn-type mince in the freezer at Şah. They have tins of ginger beer there too from time to time.

Bought some basil plants and seeds at the Garden centre, as mentioned above, it does well here.

I have a supposed lime tree too, although hasn’t actually produced any fruit yet, but we only planted it last year.

Not seen rapeseed oil in the north as far as I remember, but suffer with the local olive oil instead!

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Lime trees are called Misket Limon here.

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 20 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

We bought a lime tree about 12 years ago, in all that time it has produced 2 limes... I think its because they are more suited to tropical climes. It does produce nasty long spikes so we are in process of removing it.

Philoz
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Philoz »

They sell packets of fresh basil in the veg section in Sah (as well as other herbs).

shotaway
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 20 in Discussion

Post by shotaway »

SAH have the dried type mince in the organic section

howardjennings
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 20 in Discussion

Post by howardjennings »

Thanks for your advice. Most of the list were luxuries that we could do without. But my UK doctor particularly
recommended Rape Seed Oil. It helps lower cholesterol and cooks at higher temperatures. Veggie Mince obviously
expands the choices for Veggie Meals, my wife is a Vegetarian.

I have seen Veggie Mince in Sah's in the past along with limes. I have also grown Basil from plants bought at Lambousa
Market but it usually dies in the summer. I grew lemon grass from seeds a few years ago, bought from Amazon along with
really hot chilli peppers. But all have died off now as I am trying to sell up and go back to the UK.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 13 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

I'm sure that I've seen rapeseed oil here somewhere, but I can't remember where! — I know that's not a lot of help :)

Rapeseed oil is also known as canola oil, and the Mazola brand includes rapeseed oil as well as sunflower oil, in Turkish look out for the words 'kolza tohumu' & 'kanola yağı'.

If I remember where I've seen it, I'll let you know.

Consuming 1oz of almonds per day has been shown to reduce cholestrol by around 10%, so that's worth thinking about. I've no idea whether almond oil is similarly beneficial though.

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

Keithcaley wrote:
Thu 18 Jun 2020 10:17 am
I'm sure that I've seen rapeseed oil here somewhere, but I can't remember where! — I know that's not a lot of help :)

Rapeseed oil is also known as canola oil, and the Mazola brand includes rapeseed oil as well as sunflower oil, in Turkish look out for the words 'kolza tohumu' & 'kanola yağı'.

Consuming 1oz of almonds per day has been shown to reduce cholestrol by around 10%, so that's worth thinking about. I've no idea whether almond oil is similarly beneficial though.
I use rapeseed oil for all shallow frying and curries... it never burns. If I do deep fry I use sunflower oil. That's only for economic reasons. Of course I bought the rapeseed oil in the south, as I've never found it in the north... The management at Şah are reportedly open to suggestions as to food items we want in the north at reasonable cost.... so let's start a wish list of items can't find here that would obviate the desire to shop in the south.

My list,

Large tubs of black peppercorns
Rapeseed oil
Groundnut oil
Nespresso compatible coffee pods - all strenghs
Jacob's decaf granules (used to be available in the north but not for years now)

MrsD
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 20 in Discussion

Post by MrsD »

Most supermarkets sell whitener for your laundry. Erdeners have little sachets and we have in the past bought small boxes from Supremes of a powder which is from the Bingo brand. It has a picture of a net curtain on the front.

jayceebee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 20 in Discussion

Post by jayceebee »

Groucho wrote:
Wed 17 Jun 2020 11:39 am
Limes are a tropical plant, lemons and limes normally grow in different geographical areas... some people insist the green lemons here are limes.. they aren't . Lemons grow in abundance here. If limes are to be found they are either imports or grown in a tropical house.

I'm pretty sure you can buy frozen herring and make roll mops, the internet is awash with recipes.
You can make ginger beer - I made it as a lad, powerful stuff.
I have two friends here up in Edremit/Karaman who grow limes successfully in abundance. They wont be ready until August though, apparently.

jayceebee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 20 in Discussion

Post by jayceebee »

Groucho wrote:
Thu 18 Jun 2020 11:45 am
Keithcaley wrote:
Thu 18 Jun 2020 10:17 am

I use rapeseed oil for all shallow frying and curries... it never burns. If I do deep fry I use sunflower oil. That's only for economic reasons. Of course I bought the rapeseed oil in the south, as I've never found it in the north... The management at Şah are reportedly open to suggestions as to food items we want in the north at reasonable cost.... so let's start a wish list of items can't find here that would obviate the desire to shop in the south.

My list,

Large tubs of black peppercorns
Rapeseed oil
Groundnut oil
Nespresso compatible coffee pods - all strenghs
Jacob's decaf granules (used to be available in the north but not for years now)

Got Jacobs Decaff granules in new Ileli just before lockdown in March.

howardjennings
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 20 in Discussion

Post by howardjennings »

Good idea about a list for the supermarkets Jayceebee I've talked to Ileli and Bestmark on the West side. Thanks for the information about
Rapeseed and Canola being the same, Keithkaley. Though on Google there is a claim that Canola is slightly different because some ingredients in Rapeseed could be toxic in high quantities, but not significant in normal use. I will look for Canola now instead. Thanks for the offer of Lemon Grass
ozankoys. If you are happy to PM me the directions of how to get to you, I'd like to collect some soon.

ozankoys
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 20 in Discussion

Post by ozankoys »

Groucho good point about the water I would have noticed if I had tried to make the ginger beer.
The Lavazza cafe in Dereboyu sells Nespresso compatible pods.

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 20 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

jayceebee wrote:
Thu 18 Jun 2020 4:48 pm
Got Jacobs Decaff granules in new Ileli just before lockdown in March.
None there today (:"()

Return to “FOOD & DRINK - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”