Physio advice

Need to know where to find an English speaking Dentist or Doctor in North Cyprus? Find out about members' medical experiences within the TRNC. Ask questions...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

helendj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Physio advice

•   Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

Post by helendj »

Hi there,
I’ve got a fractured shoulder which has had a plate put in, about three weeks ago. The hospital want me to start physio now which would mean taking a tablet two hours before treatment begins as their manipulation will be very painful and they’re suggesting thirty sessions, ie every day except weekends for six weeks,
Has anyone else had this sort of treatment? I would be very interested to know as all I am envisaging is six weeks of extreme pain lol.

frontalman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Physio advice

•   Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

Post by frontalman »

There used to be a good physio department in the basement of Girne state hospital, and as we are all paying for health insurance I don't see why you can't use it. It had all the equipment you could need and was run by a lovely lady named Sibel who always got top marks for her English homework (thanks to me). You would need to see a consultant at the hospital to get referred but shouldn't be a problem.

helendj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

Post by helendj »

Thank you frontalman

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

As a retired UK trained Chartered Physiotherapist I would like to help. However, the shoulder is usually described as a ball and socket joint between the head of the humerus and the glenoid cavity of the scapula. Which bone was fractured and where (geographically) on the bone did it occur, how long ago, what type of plate fixation, your age, general health etc, etc. There are just too many variables to consider and telephone/email treatment regimes are unsafe, possible legally indefensible for the therapist involved. You could, of course, go online and research the treatment options available to you and when to start whatever course you elect to follow. I would support frontalman's view.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Seems extremely draconian to me so I too would follow frontalman and tom steel recommendations.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

I had some shoulder problems years ago and once the pain stopped I of course ignored any physio as I could move my arm without any obvious discomfort. It's something I regret now. A lot of physio is repetition of certain exercises so rather than sign up for 30 sessions why not sign up for 6 and see if it is just the same exercises repeated which you could do at home?

helendj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

Post by helendj »

Thank you all, and especially you enjoying the sun, I was coming to that conclusion, to pay for less and decide if the treatment was worth it. (Having,said that just wish they'd put me to sleep and wake me up and it was all over!) lol

jackvern
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

Post by jackvern »

Ifs it any help my wife is currently having physio for a replacement hip. She has had a package of 15 visits at a cost of 1800 TL.
Results so far have been great and there is.no doubt in our minds that the physio has been very beneficial. The electrical and freeze treatments help to repair muscle and the experience altogether restore confidence.
I agree with you see if it’s beneficial and decide from there. Hope this helps.

howardjennings
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

Post by howardjennings »

Dr Huseyin Entunga runs a Physiotherapy Centre in Lefkosia which has all the heat, ultrasonic and electro-therapy equipment, staffed by professional physiotherapists. He is an Orthopaedic doctor and will assess your injury first to plan a recovery programme for you before starting treatment. It cost me about 120 TL for each hour's session. I went there three days per week for two months after a knee injury.
Dr Entunga's number is 0533 863 2666.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

helendj wrote:
Thu 02 Jul 2020 1:53 pm

Thank you all, and especially you enjoying the sun, I was coming to that conclusion, to pay for less and decide if the treatment was worth it. (Having,said that just wish they'd put me to sleep and wake me up and it was all over!) lol
I think that physio is a lot of hard yards unfortunately

Navek
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Navek »

Hi helendj

Have you had a look on YouTube?

Some exercises that may suit you on there...
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +exercises+

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

Ets is right ive jast had a achronic frozen shoulder. I went to 10 physio with acupuncture electric heat and massage followed by exercises. Im Afraid the exercises where very painful. The physio pushed my arm until i yelled in pain. Someof the exercises didnt hurt so much . The painful ones where the most beneficial i can now do them all at home and the pain nas mostly gone. I coukdnt sleep before and was in 24 hour pain. I suppose it depppends how much pain you are williing to inflict on yourself alone.

helendj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

Post by helendj »

Thank you all so much. I’ve checked out quite a lot on you tube but quite rightly my husband says I will stop when I’m in pain,so I’m off to the hospital on Monday afternoon, to be honest I’m expecting agony, I only hope I can keep it together- whether I can actually undertake 30 sessions though is very debatable! Watch this space and wait to hear me yelling!!!

Return to “MEDICAL & DENTAL - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”