Unaccompanied dog transport from UK

All you need to know about looking after your pets in North Cyprus. Find out about vet services, how and where to register your dog....and much more.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Bahcelibelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Unaccompanied dog transport from UK

•   Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Bahcelibelly »

Hi , we are planning around October to bring our dog to North Cyprus via Istanbul with Turkish Airlines with all his pet passport , paperwork , injections in place as informed by KAR . As we hopefully will be in North Cyprus is it possible for our son to take him to BHX for the flight and for us to meet him at Ercan ie.for the dog to fly unaccompanied or does someone have to be on the flight with him ?

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Unaccompanied dog transport from UK

•   Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

Best speak to KAR as they are the experts. I know earlier this year our flight information was used(with our permission) for dogs going back to UK and they didn't need to be on our flight, so I'm guessing something similar can be done coming this way.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

come_on_aylin wrote:
Thu 13 Aug 2020 11:50 am
Best speak to KAR as they are the experts. I know earlier this year our flight information was used(with our permission) for dogs going back to UK and they didn't need to be on our flight, so I'm guessing something similar can be done coming this way.
We had our two cats brought out here with KARs help. We were on the plane/s with them or at least I assume we were as they were in the hold, so after dropping them at Gatwick the next time we saw them was at Ercan.

So if your son is on the flight with the dog I can't see that would be a problem.

It's not a cheap process, the vet's bills in the UK being a big proportion of the cost. It is also a long winded process but KAR were exceptionally helpful and knowledgeable.
We were met at Ercan airport by a KAR representative who liased with the vet at the airport and we took delivery along with 50 cases of which 1 was mine.
The airline used was Turkish Airlines as I don't think all airlines offer this service.
After a long but smooth and safe process I managed to drop one of the cat boxes while loading up the trolley. Head Office only reminds me of this about twice a day.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

One complication to be aware of is that not all 'planes have a pressurised hold, which is of course essential if your animal is to continue to breath ;)

With TA, we had to ring them every day to find out which particular aircraft was on the run to Ercan that day.

The recommendation to use KAR is undoubtedly the best advice that you will receive!

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Keithcaley wrote:
Thu 13 Aug 2020 12:56 pm
One complication to be aware of is that not all 'planes have a pressurised hold, which is of course essential if your animal is to continue to breath ;)

With TA, we had to ring them every day to find out which particular aircraft was on the run to Ercan that day.

The recommendation to use KAR is undoubtedly the best advice that you will receive!
As I recall we were only offered a particular selection of flights because that was the case. The cats are more Head Office's than mine so I suggested oxygen but that went the same way as the you do know there are 10,000 stray cats there, cats are one thing the island doesn't have a pressing urgency to import. I believe KAR put us in touch with an agent who arranged the flight.

Just read the post correctly that the dog is unaccompanied. I guess the clue was in the title!

With our cats we dropped them at the same bit at Gatwick you check in your baggage. They do get weighed and count as excess baggage so a crash diet will save money.
We never saw them at Istanbul when we transferred. Although they had picked up some duty free from somewhere :)
As I recall when we collected them it was after we had collected our luggage and done passport control so I guess technically it made zero difference that we were on the actual flight/s.

I guess the main problem I can see is a security threat as in they wont put a bag on unless it's owner is on the plane.
But KAR will have all the answers

Bahcelibelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Bahcelibelly »

Hi all and thanks for the information , mostly useful and part humorous ( Enjoying the sun :) )

I had decided to go down the KAR route anyway just wanted any 1st hand experience of anyone 'posting' a dog with Turkish Airlines ( ability to breathe optional for the lil "ooops" ) by my son who would not be on the flight and we would hope to be at Ercan awaiting his safe arrival or at least knowledge that he is currently enjoying and all expenses paid tour of Turkey :)

He is off to the vets today in the UK for jabs/passport etc , neutered/chipped in place ( so is the dog ! )

We had hoped to get him over here for late Sept early October when he wont get so BBQ'D on arrival .

Also aware an import licence required in TRNC. Blood test , breathalised , donor card , residency , permission to poo , plus a voracious ability to bark :)

May have him put down and have his ashes flown over ,with weakening Lira interest rate saves on food bill and need for exercise (8)) ((W\)) (:())

Bahcelibelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Bahcelibelly »

P.S. ' oops ' should read '"ooops"' (:())

Bahcelibelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Bahcelibelly »

P.P.S Obviously s**t is a naughty word and censored (8))

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

You can get away with SH1T ;)

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Bahcelibelly wrote:
Fri 14 Aug 2020 10:47 am

Also aware an import licence required in TRNC. Blood test , breathalised , donor card , residency , permission to poo , plus a voracious ability to bark :)

May have him put down and have his ashes flown over ,with weakening Lira interest rate saves on food bill and need for exercise (8)) ((W\)) (:())
You do have to get DEFRA involved at the UK end, again I think KAR pointed us there.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisat ... al-affairs

Not 100% sure where a exporting a dog touches on environmental or rural affairs tbh. Can see the food angle if moving to Korea.

Yes definitely go cremation route rather than a planned burial like I say I'm pretty sure they count as excess luggage so weight can be a pricey factor.

Why adopt a stray cat who will eat dried food at 10 lire a hundredweight when you can import a fussy cat at 500 hundred pounds who doubles your food bill?
Our UK vet had tears in his eyes when he did the final MOT and I believe has since sold his holiday home in Tuscany

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Bahcelibelly wrote:
Fri 14 Aug 2020 10:47 am

He is off to the vets today in the UK for jabs/passport etc , neutered/chipped in place ( so is the dog ! )
Re the pet passport do take a large cushion for the chair at the tube station. No matter how much you swivel it you cant get the chair high enough for a cat or small dog to get high enough for the camera.
I did about thirty quid lobbing him up in the air in time for the flash. Did one perfectly ten quid in, but the little sod smiled in that one.

Bahcelibelly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Bahcelibelly »

Thanks Keith for clarifying how to get out the SH1T when trying to utilise the word SH1T , to describe our LIL SH1T , avoiding the SH1T hitting the fan !!!!!

ETS ,

Love the humour and have a picture in my head of your feline friend in mid air avoiding photogenia ( made up word ) (8))

After 1st installment of 'How to drain a Bank Account by a little prick ' The afforementioned Lil SH1T is currently up to £ 8 a kilo ........3 more installments to GO....followed by the boat , car ...and Ice skates ( unlikely to get much use from these )

Aware of Defra leg of 'How to become homeless in 3 weeks '

Looking to buy a few shares in Pedigree Chump and any Vets that are currently floated on the SE...........

More to follow on 'How posting a lil SH1T is taking the P1SS !!!! (:"() ($$) (:())

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Bahcelibelly wrote:
Sat 15 Aug 2020 7:01 am

Looking to buy a few shares in Pedigree Chump and any Vets that are currently floated on the SE...........
On the positive side. The Vet’s out here are very good and very very cheap.

One of our little darlings has a bit of a problem which in the UK led to bills of £1000 and £1200 for a few drugs and a catheter. Not a heart transplant by any means. Yes I know insurance but we thought it's a house cat that barely moves off the sofa so what can go wrong? By the time it has had one procedure insurance goes through the roof so you play the odds.
Little tip never say to your better half that a car insurer would call that an uneconomic repair if you have any intention of pushing the beds together in the next 3 months.

Anyway we came out here and of course he got the same thing in the first month or so. Took him to the vet who was very kind and who the cat was very comfortable with, and he really hates vets. Got the bill and I’m squinting to see the amount as it says 100 and I’m thinking the inks going I can barely see the third nought.
He says “no,one hundred.”
I’m thinking result, but I don’t have sterling and starting to convert in my head.
“No, one hundred lira.” Probably about £14-£15 quid at the time.

A year later it happens again. I think he’s bound to realise his mistake but still had a touch. This time he very apologetically said he had to charge me 200 lire because he had come in on his one day off!
Also he is a really nice kind guy who seems to love animals rather than our old vet who seemed more interesting in the ££££ in my opinion.

So I think if you put the dog on a starvation diet to save some money on the weight then you could do a bit of reverse liposuction when here if his weight is dangerously low and still be quids in.

At these prices I often take our little darling in for an exploratory catheter to punish him when he claws me for moving his food bowl a millimetre out of position when feeding him.

Re the journey. Our cats go mental on a 2 minute car journey but were pretty chilled after their journey and they weren't drugged. Apparently in the hold its a kind of a white noise or something which spaces/chills them out. Head Office did all the research, she did ask don't you want to know what it's all about. I said "its about five hundred quid by my calculations. There's 10,000 stray. spare, FREE cats there and......."

Return to “PETS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”