Kyrenia Medical Centre

Need to know where to find an English speaking Dentist or Doctor in North Cyprus? Find out about members' medical experiences within the TRNC. Ask questions...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Admiral
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Kyrenia Medical Centre

•   Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Admiral »

Good afternoon, everyone.
I first registered with Kyrenia Medical Centre when I moved here five years ago. Since then they have expanded and modernised quite a bit.
I need a Hernia operation and now have a personal choice between KMC and Near East in Karakum.

Before 'phoning to make an appointment to discuss the procedure, would anyone have any recent experience of KMC?
Any info would be helpful and I thank you in advance for offering any insight or opinion.

dani
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Kyrenia Medical Centre

•   Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Post by dani »

Husband had a replacement knee op there last July. Absolutely no problems.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

This type of enquiry is so difficult to advise on. Post 2 above has tried to be helpful. However, hernia ops are not normally performed by orthopaedic surgeons who operate on joints, bones and soft tissue problems (knee replacement etc). The best advice I can offer is to visit both centres, speak to the surgeon/surgical team who will operate, what procedure will be used, what material will be used, what incision will be made, visit the ward, look at the cleanliness of the facility, the translation service if you are not fluent in Turkish, enquire about the overall facility and specific theatre and ward infection rates, detailed itemised costs, length of stay etc, etc. Having secured all of this information, seek a second or third professional opinion. I do not wish to appear as being unhelpful, but as the adage states, "One man's meat is another man's -------." Good luck wherever you elect to get the hernia op done.

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

Don't forget that they are all a buisness and there to provide a service but ultimately a profit.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

With Tom Steel on this one. As a result of NOT doing any of his suggestions and believing the Surgeon on the number of knee replacements (he lied through the back his teeth) my husband after 11 years is in continual pain and is barely able to get up or sit down without assistance. I would also remind people that SOME of the Surgeons are not employed by the Hospital but are free lance, and rent an operating theatre, its staff and all equipment, on an as and when basis.

13roman58
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Post by 13roman58 »

Then when you run out of money (bled dry) they will transfer you to the state hospital if you can continue the treatment there.

sammydavis
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Post by sammydavis »

My partner had gall stones. He went to KMC, was sent by the surgeon there to 'his friend' at the Bellapais Hospital who used a 'new' technique to remove the stones only. He was then sent back to the KMC surgeon who then removed the gall bladder. He asked my partner how much the Bellapais surgeon had charged and looked astounded at the cost - then charged the same for the bladder removal. As far as I know, gall stones and bladder are usually removed in one operation - it looked to me as though 'his friend' was practising - lucratively!! It is difficult to argue with a surgeon as to 'why' but beware - as said before, there is a lot of money to be made from private medicine. We now go to Near East, it is just further to go when not well or visiting.

Admiral
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Post by Admiral »

Thank you, everyone, for your replies and guidance.
I've taken it all onboard and will make a visit to sound them out. I'm pleased that an overall picture of care and sometimes aftercare has been brought up, regardless of type of procedure you've variously been through.
I've had a relatively small procedure at Kyrenia Medical (before their expansion) and was pleasantly surprised at the professionalism and overall care. And the cost was within my means which helped.
I have more recent experience of Near East who have managed a heart condition for me so I have a more intimate knowledge of their facilities and standard of nursing staff coupled with medical expertise, and I'm not going to criticise them in any way other than to judge them as large, sometimes bossy, and profit driven. Nonetheless I cannot fault them as a hospital, as they got me through a bad spell.
As they say, Horses for Courses but I definitely need more info so my search will continue tomorrow by asking for an appointment to discuss further.

Again, thank you for the info you've all supplied which is very helpful.

sophie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Post by sophie »

Admiral, hope all goes well with you and ask away. The days are gone when Doctors and Surgeons are treated like gods and we had to believe all they said and did. Particularly when money drives them and the hospitals concerned.

tomsteel
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Post by tomsteel »

I am a retired UK qualified chartered physiotherapist. I well recall marrying my Welsh wife in 1977 and living close to the hospital I worked in. She had an appointment for a cervical smear there and insisted she needed three pairs of clean knickers for the appointment to see the gynaecologist. When I queried this I was told one pair to travel, one pair to change into prior to examination and the last pair for after examination. I don't think she ever forgave me for laughing, but I did explain that medically qualified people were not gods. I treated labourers, professional ballet dancers, military personnel, RTA victims, intensive care patients, OAPs, cancer sufferers (including children) et al and never insisted on clean underwear before treatment. She, however, had been raised to believe that professionally qualified people had to be believed and their judgement was final. Ergo, clean underwear was absolutely necessary. What a load of absolute tosh!!!

Return to “MEDICAL & DENTAL - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”