Keep internet running during power cut?

Want to know how to receive English Channels via the Internet in North Cyprus? Need to repair or buy a laptop?

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Keep internet running during power cut?

•   Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Firstly, I realise that ISP power back ups can only last so long in a lengthy power cut, but have no idea of the rough time provided. Would be very handy to have a rough idea to calculate what size of a UPS to go for, purely for keeping internet and wifi going for home use. I know years ago with an ISP I used, it didn't really last very long, but things have hopefully progressed by now, and are much better.

Am asking the question for a friend really, as we had a quite a long (planned) power cut yesterday in Tatlisu, and not only was internet cut, Telsim wasn't working either, so they were totally cut off.

I suggested an UPS, but have no idea if there are other better methods nowadays. I've got two very elderly 1000VA UPS units brought over from UK over 10 years ago. One is used for purely internet connection and router, and lasted around 4 hours yesterday, which wasn't too bad. Just wonder if there is something better and longer lasting?

Any suggestions and where to buy would be much appreciated.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Keep internet running during power cut?

•   Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

A generator! - with a UPS to cover the 5 second start-up of the generator.

Works for me!

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Now there's a thing Keith, think my friend already has a generator, so just an UPS, and wouldn't necessarily have to be a big one then.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

alphamike wrote:
Sat 26 Sep 2020 7:09 am
...so just an UPS, and wouldn't necessarily have to be a big one then.

Just don't try to run a Laser Printer on a small UPS - they take a surprisingly large chunk of juice!

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

...and another thought...

If he uses any Powerline Adaptors to distribute t'internet to the nether reaches of his building, it's no good connecting any of them to the UPS, 'cos the filters kill the signal - they have to go straight into a normal wall socket.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Thanks for all that info Keith, it's much appreciated. Think it's just wanted to keep internet going, not fussed about printing, but will certainly pass all this on.

I've only got router and internet on one, and it does seem to last a good 4 hours or thereabouts. The second one I use for tv and electronic things in living room, but during power cut, all disconnected to keep my laptop going, as it's sorely in need of a new battery, that I cannot get here. Will just have to wait for someone coming from UK.

Return to “INTERNET & COMPUTERS- Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”