Post by Reyntj »

When's the annexation might as well get on with it and formalise the situation

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Tatar has won.

•   Message 4 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

The best result I think akinci has good intentions but this federation solution was never going to work the Greeks are too untrustworthy. Also it's turkey who fund the trnc and it's best to tow the line,

Hedge-fund
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Hedge-fund »

Turkey will be very pleased.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 24 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

At least Turkey’s online residency system works!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

musander
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 24 in Discussion

Post by musander »

As an Italian friend of TRNC, hoping to move there sooner or later, I think that the citizens of the small and brave Republic have made a good choice. Akinci is a cultured gentleman and a fine person, but his counterparts are still the heirs of the thug Nikos Sampson and deserve to face somebody who takes a stronger stance in defense of TNRC. I think that no Northern Cypriot will ever accept any solution in which the nightmare of being butchered by a new EOKA or by ELDYK could come true again.

Jonnie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Jonnie »

I think the only way there will be any true equality will be 2 separate states negotiating on an equal footing.
Some are wise and some otherwise.....

wanderer
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 24 in Discussion

Post by wanderer »

Made BBC world service news

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 24 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

They even called us Northern Cyprus, a step in the right direction that they have admitted they know where we are at least - lol.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

Geoff1131
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Geoff1131 »

I am no expert on Cyprus politics, but i hope Mr Tatar can achieve what the past 3 Presidents failed to do and get a solution to the Cyprus issue, as it is way past it's time. Ex President Talat tried and at one time looked to be making ground with the Greek side, but as soon as push came to shove it all went quiet. The next one Ergulu? sorry not sure of spelling, i dont think even wanted a solution as he did not seem too keen on any talks and then we got Mr Akinci, a likeable sort of guy but again could not get the Greek side to even consider a just solution. The situation over the island cant be allowed to go on for much longer, 50 years is a long time in any dispute. Maybe knowing that the new President has the full backing of Turkey might help to focus their minds.

Brother
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Brother »

My last message has not appears since sending some hours ago. Moderator review perhaps?

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 24 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

He wants 2 separate states

Soner
Kibkom
Kibkom

•   Message 14 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Soner »

Brother wrote:
Mon 19 Oct 2020 10:46 am
My last message has not appears since sending some hours ago. Moderator review perhaps?
No post under review. You may not have submitted last post or there's a glitch in the system.
Repost.
Support businesses that are supporting the Kibkom Forum - At least contact them for a quote.
This forum cannot exist without the support of both member and advertiser.
Don't forget to mention Kibkom!

paul90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 24 in Discussion

Post by paul90 »

Geoff1131 wrote:
Mon 19 Oct 2020 10:40 am
I am no expert on Cyprus politics, but i hope Mr Tatar can achieve what the past 3 Presidents failed to do and get a solution to the Cyprus issue, as it is way past it's time. Ex President Talat tried and at one time looked to be making ground with the Greek side, but as soon as push came to shove it all went quiet. The next one Ergulu? sorry not sure of spelling, i dont think even wanted a solution as he did not seem too keen on any talks and then we got Mr Akinci, a likeable sort of guy but again could not get the Greek side to even consider a just solution. The situation over the island cant be allowed to go on for much longer, 50 years is a long time in any dispute. Maybe knowing that the new President has the full backing of Turkey might help to focus their minds.
Tatar will do what his boss in Ankara tells him to do with the aim of keeping the TRNC under the influence of Ankara and not of Nicosia or Athens.

Akinci worked hard to try and get the two halves of the island into a federation and almost succeeded in Crans Montana. Both Akinci and Turkey made concessions which could easily have been accepted - unfortunately Anastaides threw a tantrum, insisting on zero guarantees and zero troops from day one before walking out (at least that is how I remember it being reported).

The problem for Tatar is that there is no way the RoC and Athens will ever agree to separate states because they simply want full control as they had before 1974. The EU would side with Athens and Cyprus and the third guarantor, Britain, will do precisely nothing again.

Another problem affecting the local people here is the change in the demography of the north.
We know that in 2004 the north voted for reunification. At that time the majority here were TCs but now the percentage of mainland Turks is about the same as TCs.

It is reasonable to assume that in the 2015 presidential election Akinci's votes came mainly from TCs whilst this time Tatar owes his success to mainland Turks and the influence of Erdogan.

I guess that the mainland Turks would prefer to be linked to Turkey, even though being part of a reunified Cyprus would give them EU passports!

It would be interesting to speculate that at some time soon the North Cypriots (of Turkish descent) may become a minority in their own country. It is reasonable to assume that Turkey will continue to encourage mainland Turks to settle in the TRNC (there are 8000 empty apartments in Girne at the moment).

Perhaps striking a deal on gas and oil between Turkey and Greece might be a first step in the right direction.

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 24 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

8000 empty apartments! Where did you find this info? That's astounding.

paul90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 24 in Discussion

Post by paul90 »

forestpixie wrote:
Mon 19 Oct 2020 1:24 pm
8000 empty apartments! Where did you find this info? That's astounding.
from a reputable estate agent.

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 24 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

Ooh interesting stuff and quite believable

Johnny Lee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Johnny Lee »

I am surprised its only 8000 empty apartments, I would have thought a lot more.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 24 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Johnny Lee wrote:
Mon 19 Oct 2020 2:15 pm
I am surprised its only 8000 empty apartments, I would have thought a lot more.
I’m still trying to get my head around the business plan where you build 12 villas or apartments and sell 2 and then think “that was a triumph I’ll build some more.”
Ditto “we have a hotel that achieves 60% capacity in a good year, let’s build another.”

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

The reputable estate agent must have done a census,,,,must be 100 percent accurate,. There is most definitely a glut of properties, however there is always a lot of empty flats in kyrenia as they are holiday homes and it's pretty hard to get to at the moment

Brother
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Brother »

Very difficult to expect an agreement between the two sides with such public difference of opinion on the next steps. As an interested party with family in TRNC I fear that there will be a unilateral decision or two from the TRNC that will cement the status quo.

zcacmxi
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 24 in Discussion

Post by zcacmxi »

Brother wrote:
Mon 19 Oct 2020 10:45 pm
I fear that there will be a unilateral decision or two from the TRNC that will cement the status quo.
As far as I can see decisions of others a long time ago have resulted in most of the integration:

1) International Postal Union - Don't recognise North Cyprus. Result: "Mersin 10, Turkey".
2) International Telecoms - Don't recognise North Cyprus. Result:"0392 area code of Turkey +90"
3) International Air transport - Dont recognise Ercan Result: "Ercan on Turkish Airlines & Pegasus flight network only".
4) Internet System. No TLD. Result: "ct.tr" subdomain on TR.

What's left to be decided? It's about time TRNC made them and ended uncertainty...

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 24 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

If it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck it's a duck. Turkish lira Turkish schools Turkish food Turkish water Turkish people Turkish shops Turkish mosques

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”