General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

PortisheadScouser
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

I want to learn to speak Turkish

•   Message 1 of 20 in Discussion

Post by PortisheadScouser »

I’ve decided that it’s about time I learnt to speak Turkish, just enough to be able to have a simple conversation and be able speak to people in their own language in a shop, restaurant, market, out and about in the street, etc.
For the right teacher I will travel, so can anyone recommend a good teacher in the area Lapta – Girne – Esentepe
Many thanks

cyprus2016
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: I want to learn to speak Turkish

•   Message 2 of 20 in Discussion

Post by cyprus2016 »

I have seen several people advertising lessons on Kibkom over the years, so it could be worth doing a search. Have you considered learning at least the basics using a free on-line course? There are several on the internet. I've been using http://turkishbasics.com which is a free course, has a simple to understand layout and includes an actual audio guide, so that you can hear what the letters and words sound like. It covers all the typical phrase book topics such as: Basics, Meeting People, Directions, Eating, Shopping, Occasions.

It could be worthy a try - I think it is rather good fun!
“Caysiz sohbet, aysiz gok yuzu gibidir”

SunnyParkers
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 20 in Discussion

Post by SunnyParkers »

Meral Yilmaz in Yesiltepe is excellent

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 20 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

cyprus2016, I have looked at http://turkishbasics.com and can find know course to follow and in particular the actual audio guide? Help!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

cyprus2016
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 20 in Discussion

Post by cyprus2016 »

That's odd Waddo! I've just clicked on the same link and it brings up the home page, beginning with grammar, verbs, phrases, vocabulary etc. Clicking on each one produces more detail and an audio button - audio may require flash and may not work with chrome, but is fine with microsoft Bing etc. The site is sponsored by Etihad Airways and I believe the Turkish government.

cyprus2016
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 20 in Discussion

Post by cyprus2016 »

For absolute beginners - such as me - another and probably better option is the free site https://www.loecsen.com/en/learn-turkish which is perhaps a little easier to navigate and seems to work with chrome too! It also contains a more comprehensive audio, covering many words as well as the alphabet. And simple, amusing graphics. Once an understanding is made of the pronunciation of the individual letters in the modern Turkish alphabet (some have little accents which change their sound) it then becomes much easier to grasp how to speak the words, as the Turkish system, being relatively modern, appears to be much more standardized than in say the English language.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 20 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Many thanks, I will give the second one a try as well and try changing to a different engine than Chrome as well.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

cyprus2016
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 20 in Discussion

Post by cyprus2016 »

You are very welcome! Today, I've just received in the post a CD-rom Turkish Language course that I purchased on Ebay (for less than £2) and once I get a moment to try it, I shall report back on Kibkom for anyone who may be curious!

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Dalartokat »

PortisheadScouser wrote:I’ve decided that it’s about time I learnt to speak Turkish, just enough to be able to have a simple conversation and be able speak to people in their own language in a shop, restaurant, market, out and about in the street, etc.
For the right teacher I will travel, so can anyone recommend a good teacher in the area Lapta – Girne – Esentepe
Many thanks
Someone is advertising on North Cyprus Expats Forum on Facebook in Catalkoy and Alsancak.
If you ever get tired one day of life, take a rest, lean your back on the stone, not people. Cold but safe...

PortisheadScouser
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 20 in Discussion

Post by PortisheadScouser »

Just a quick update on my Turkish lessons. After the helpful advice on this forum and from recommendations from friends, today I have had my third Turkish Lesson with Meral Yilmaz in Yesiltepe who I have to agree with everyone is excellent.
An hours lesson goes by as fast as anything, so that must mean I am enjoying it as well as learning something. Whilst I know it will take a long time until I am confident enough to attempt a conversation in Turkish, with Meral's help I will achieve it sooner rather than later.
So like all the others before me, I TOO WOULD RECOMMEND MERAL 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Squeaker
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Squeaker »

The lady advertising on N. Cyprus Expats is Ilnur Harden. She is an excellent teacher, I went with her lessons a few years ago and she was clear, concise and has the patience of a saint. She is a London Cypriot and really cares that she teaches you well.

sabrerich
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 20 in Discussion

Post by sabrerich »

Agree with the previous posting Ilnur is an excellent teacher

trooper
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

!

•   Message 13 of 20 in Discussion

Post by trooper »

Take a swing at the local police and do a year or so in Lefkosa prison. You'll be fluent in no time! You'll certainly know how to say ''no thanks, not tonight''

HotHippo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 20 in Discussion

Post by HotHippo »

Hadiya!

Sinem
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Sinem »

Hi guys , i m looking for a school where i can learn turkish. Not a private lessons but a school . Do you have any information about it please . Thanks a lot for this .

blueparrot
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 20 in Discussion

Post by blueparrot »

Sinem wrote:
Fri 20 Nov 2020 11:46 am
Hi guys , i m looking for a school where i can learn turkish. Not a private lessons but a school . Do you have any information about it please . Thanks a lot for this .
If only. I looked for months, Sinem, and could never find a school for learning the language. With a proper structure, format, and and other students you could learn with.

Sinem
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Sinem »

Maybe i found, i wil give you back more informations soon ;) there is devlet okulu same of TÖMER or DILMER as at Istanbul .

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 18 of 20 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

I've been using Babbel for a year or so. Can be inconsistent at times in module functionality but it's relatively cheap and you can learn at your own pace on a PC or via the app. It's good to learn and "do as the Romans do".

Sinem
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Sinem »

Hi , i need a group to have enough will and courage to finish the whole session. Thank you for your precious help

Sinem
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 20 in Discussion

Post by Sinem »

Hi everybody, I found a place where we can learn Turkish with group at an official school in Girne . The price is 400 tl by level and there is min 10 people . So if you are interested let me see 🌝

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”