Almost non existent Turkcell Reception

Advice on using Mobile Phones within the TRNC: SIM Cards, Repairs, cheap calls to UK...

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Almost non existent Turkcell Reception

•   Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

I have been a customer of Turkcell, using the same number for over 16 years or more. In the that time I have had 5 assorted phones with absolutely no problem at all. 6 months ago people started to complain that they couldn't obtain a ring tone or send texts and I couldn't do the same in return unless I was somewhere other than our house. On very rare occasions I can get a tiny signal in one of the terraces. I have been into 3 Turkcell offices and they can offer no assistance. One person has suggested that Whatsapp/WiFi signal is overriding Turkcell. I can't accept that as Turkcell is good everywhere else but in the vicinity of our house and garden. Its causing communication problems with people who don't use WhatsApp. Any ideas?

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Almost non existent Turkcell Reception

•   Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

If you can get one configured, try a different router.
libens volens potens

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Maybe its me, but I didn't think Browser had anything to do with Turkcell. Someone suggested that I should try and get hold of a proper Turkcell engineer and get him/her to test the Turkcell areas around the property and see why it disappears when we enter the garden gate, whereas a 100 yds down the road its just fine having been fine for years previously.

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

benjaminbutton wrote:
Mon 19 Jul 2021 7:09 am
Maybe its me, but I didn't think Browser had anything to do with Turkcell. Someone suggested that I should try and get hold of a proper Turkcell engineer and get him/her to test the Turkcell areas around the property and see why it disappears when we enter the garden gate, whereas a 100 yds down the road its just fine having been fine for years previously.
Do you have Turkcell as your internet provider and Turkcell as your phone package provider?

Does your phone package come with data allowance or just phone calls?

Do you know what tethering or personal hotspot are, in relation to internet?

I ask the above because if you have both with Turkcell then away from your home the WiFi signal you may be accessing could, if configured to do so, be via your phone data.

I am still inclined to test your Turkcell internet through another router.

If the problem persists, maybe your antenna may have moved a little and the signal strength reception suffers accordingly. Or something has been put up or grown up blocking the signal to your antenna.

Turkcell will come out and test your signal reception if you ask. Not likely during bayram l would guess.

PS, can l take for granted you have rebooted your router?
libens volens potens

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Thanks for showing an interest in this annoying and frustrating mobile problem. We don't have any wifi or internet via Turkcell and have a pay at the end of the month contract. I thought that a building etc had recently got in the way but that shouldn't have any bearing on Turkcell reception should it. If it gets any worse I may have to take another number with Telsim, but that would be extremely inconvenient particularly with all my out of TRNC contacts. One thing I have noticed is that I do occasionally have Turkcell connection on a Sunday, when most offices , banks and Government offices are shut. Is this relevant do you think?

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

Ok. So this is your mobile phone reception you have an issue with.

Do visitors or neighbours experience the same bad Turkcell mobile phone reception from the same locations around your home as you do?

Have you tried your Turkcell SIM in another phone?

I have had similar issues in the UK, with my wife using a different phone standing next to me, her phone getting an excellent signal. Same network provider. I could only put it down to the different phones, nothing to do with the service provider in my mind.
libens volens potens

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Post by erol »

benjaminbutton wrote:
Mon 19 Jul 2021 9:49 am
Thanks for showing an interest in this annoying and frustrating mobile problem. We don't have any wifi or internet via Turkcell and have a pay at the end of the month contract. I thought that a building etc had recently got in the way but that shouldn't have any bearing on Turkcell reception should it. If it gets any worse I may have to take another number with Telsim, but that would be extremely inconvenient particularly with all my out of TRNC contacts. One thing I have noticed is that I do occasionally have Turkcell connection on a Sunday, when most offices , banks and Government offices are shut. Is this relevant do you think?
I believe (but could be wrong) that there is a number portability system in place between Turkcell and Telsim now that means in theory you could change to telsim and keep you existing number. Re building going up in between where you are and your nearest turkcell tower, whilst the frequencies used my mobile operator are 'penetrative' and can pass through solid objects like buildings, this is a 'degrees' thing and thus a new building could theoretically affect you reception. And yes usage / load at the base station could also be a factor. In simplest terms the more devices connected to a given tower / sector of tower then the shorter the range of that tower / sector will be to some degree.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

I think there is something in what you both say. i,e Today (Monday) I haven't been able to receive or send a Turkcell message or call. Yesterday (Sunday evening ) I was actually able to make a 20 min call, but there were never more than 2 bars up. I have asked people to stand next to me in assorted areas of the house, garden and terraces. I had no bars up and they had only a couple, which was less than their usual. In other words it might appear that all the increased building and phone traffic in Alsancak could have a bearing. I had no problem with my Huawei but that was 18 months ago and no problem with the present Redmi until about 5 or 6 months ago. I can't even speak to people less than 100 yards away, When I call them there is no sound at all and if I text the message, "You have no connection, tap your message again) comes up. I'm working on the theory there is not a chance in hell of Turkcell checking their equipment is there??

Return to “MOBILE PHONES - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”