The Brexit effect

Here you can comment on political news, create threads for open discussion.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Walesforever
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: The Brexit effect

•   Message 301 of 346 in Discussion

Post by Walesforever »

Cinder one of the biggest companies in Turkey have announced they are now looking at investing and building a new bottling plant at Ebbw Vale (South Wales valleys).
This is a direct result of Brexit and could provide 600 jobs.

The BBC yesterday reported that job losses in the UK will only be a fraction of what was initially expected.

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 302 of 346 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

https://twitter.com/Jefferson_MFG/statu ... 79686?s=09

The UK manufacturing PMI surged to 58.9 last month – its highest level for more than a decade. Business optimism is at a seven-year high and manufacturers are hiring staff at the fastest rate since 2014
March's manufacturing highlights:

▪️British Steel: £100 million investment

▪️JCB: Record £65m order & 450 jobs

▪️Tata Chemicals: New £50m factory 

▪️Rimac: New R&D centre 

▪️Bremont: New Henley facility

▪️Smurfit Kappa: £34m investment

▪️GE: New blade factory, 750 jobs

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 303 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

kerry 6138 wrote:
Thu 01 Apr 2021 2:54 pm
https://twitter.com/Jefferson_MFG/statu ... 79686?s=09

The UK manufacturing PMI surged to 58.9 last month – its highest level for more than a decade. Business optimism is at a seven-year high and manufacturers are hiring staff at the fastest rate since 2014
March's manufacturing highlights:

▪️British Steel: £100 million investment

▪️JCB: Record £65m order & 450 jobs

▪️Tata Chemicals: New £50m factory 

▪️Rimac: New R&D centre 

▪️Bremont: New Henley facility

▪️Smurfit Kappa: £34m investment

▪️GE: New blade factory, 750 jobs
Great news,
Clutching at straws and snippets possibly. Would these notices be any different IN or OUT. Probably not.
Brexit does not make a JCB anymore attractive
Nothing here represents a Brexit positive. Only market forces to feed an internal market.
News is in.
British business is setting up EU operations simply so they can maintain a level of service to their European customers.

We had UK workforce in Spain working for a UK company because we could and it worked . Supplying global automotive OEMs centred in Spain.
Now we have a Spanish business employing Spanish workers in order to serve a German customer. The UK (span)workforce are left desperately seeking residency and work permits. Rather sad really.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 304 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Fri 02 Apr 2021 9:12 pm

Would these notices be any different IN or OUT. Probably not.
So your position as I understand it is if we leave then total disaster and the wheels are going to fall off but if it isn’t a total disaster and the wheels don’t fall off then so what that would have happened anyway if we had stayed in the EU?

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 305 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Sat 03 Apr 2021 12:03 am
waz-24-7 wrote:
Fri 02 Apr 2021 9:12 pm

Would these notices be any different IN or OUT. Probably not.
So your position as I understand it is if we leave then total disaster and the wheels are going to fall off but if it isn’t a total disaster and the wheels don’t fall off then so what that would have happened anyway if we had stayed in the EU?
No,
My point is that the investment news as indicated by K is not a Brexit driven process. JCB for example is a global entity already and the EU market is not as critical as it is for others, indeed most. The rise in demand is driven by a global upturn in construction.

Certainly I maintain the position that the losses as a result of Brexit far far out way any positives. I cannot see, even longer term, any advantages of being a non European. The damages and restrictions are becoming very apparent. In Cyprus the loss of freedoms and privileges are unquestionably damaging. Every UK ex pat and visitor to the Island are now disadvantaged against other EU citizens.

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 306 of 346 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

Waz - someone has faith in UK has a investment.
Reported in Telegraph: Airbus aims to expand in Britain post-Brexit

Luxembourg-headquartered United Caps' to build new £18 million factory in Rotherham. The firm supplies caps and closures to manufacturers around the world, including Arla, Danone, Unilever, L'Oréal and Pfizer

Outward looking British companies who knew?
ABI lands a major NEW contract with the Indonesia Air Force, the largest ever from the region, for multiple BoardMaster units. Boxes leaving ABI carrying the UK technology that will reduce waste, support jobs, and save a lot of taxpayer money in Indonesia.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 307 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 03 Apr 2021 9:59 pm

My point is that the investment news as indicated by K is not a Brexit driven process.
I can guarantee that you would blame any disinvestment on Brexit

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 308 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

kerry 6138 wrote:
Sat 03 Apr 2021 10:13 pm
Waz - someone has faith in UK has a investment.
Reported in Telegraph: Airbus aims to expand in Britain post-Brexit

Luxembourg-headquartered United Caps' to build new £18 million factory in Rotherham. The firm supplies caps and closures to manufacturers around the world, including Arla, Danone, Unilever, L'Oréal and Pfizer

Outward looking British companies who knew?
ABI lands a major NEW contract with the Indonesia Air Force, the largest ever from the region, for multiple BoardMaster units. Boxes leaving ABI carrying the UK technology that will reduce waste, support jobs, and save a lot of taxpayer money in Indonesia.
Thank you Kerry,
I will certainly not knock any investment brought into the UK.
I'm afraid that your google trawling for snippets of investment news will not convince me that Brexit has been good for the UK.
Its almost as if you need to in order to pacify yourself.
Believe me that on the ground. The picture is not Rosy. I see British companies setting up in the EU in order to maintain supply chains and to support their EU customers. This is sadly an export of revenue, opportunity and employment.
The promised international trade deals are all but absent and the driving force SME s within the UK are not seeing benefit from being outside of the EU.
The reported 40% decline in EU trade will be extremely difficult to win back if at all.

Your snippets of news cannot counter the real issues and loss of trade with our biggest customer.
However please do continue with reporting the investments that you have been found. Particularly any that reflect the need to trade with the EU.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 309 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Sun 04 Apr 2021 10:45 am
waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 03 Apr 2021 9:59 pm

My point is that the investment news as indicated by K is not a Brexit driven process.
I can guarantee that you would blame any disinvestment on Brexit
Thank you.
Its not about "disinvestment" its about maintaining and holding onto trade. Holding onto customers and of course winning more work and revenue leading to jobs and prosperity.
Has Brexit facilitated this...Absolutely not.

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 310 of 346 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

Alexander Dennis Limited (ADL),  one of the world’s leading independent global bus manufacturers, today announced that Berliner Verkehrsbetriebe (BVG) has exercised options for 198 Enviro500 double deck buses, to be delivered to the German capital by the end of 2022. ADL will build these buses in its factories in the United Kingdom.

desih
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 311 of 346 in Discussion

Post by desih »

Britain has left the club. No point in discussing ths matter further, next discussion should surely highlight all the benefits achieved fom Brexit. I very much look forward to that discussion.

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 312 of 346 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

desih wrote:
Fri 06 Aug 2021 9:33 pm
Britain has left the club. No point in discussing ths matter further, next discussion should surely highlight all the benefits achieved fom Brexit. I very much look forward to that discussion.
:+1:) :+1:)

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 313 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Brazen wrote:
Sat 07 Aug 2021 8:17 am
desih wrote:
Fri 06 Aug 2021 9:33 pm
:+1:) :+1:)
Please do,
I'm all ears.
Before we do
Perhaps someone will come forth with some solutions to the immediate shortages of food distribution before the government do infact get the army involved to feed the nation and get food onto the shelves of supermarkets.
Also the immediate and drastic labour shortages:
Goods vehicle drivers, welders, fruit pickers.
Whilst your at it perhaps we can discuss the looming break up of the club we call the United Kingdom.
The northern Ireland problem of borders is causing strife , unrest and is a mess. Will there be a border in the Irish sea? Or will the peace accord collapse? Possibly a reunification of Ireland will emerge from the ashes.
Will Scotland leave the UK? Another referendum appears to be on the verge.
Will Wales and then Cornwall follow?
Oh but of course we've taken back control of our borders to stop the Turks invading as the Farage red bus told us. We have clearly closed the door to all but the selected. Do we really expect to be made welcome as before!! . Oh but we are British and of the British empire!! I think not.
In Cyprus the shock of losing the rights of free passage and other privileges has shocked those old colonials that thought nothing would change.
other discussions on this forum have highlighted visa, entry and travel issues.
yes, of course, we'll get through but is that the best I can hope for by losing my European status.

Yes please do start that discussion. Proud to be British and European.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 314 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Thu 12 Aug 2021 11:01 pm

Please do,
I'm all ears.
Before we do
🥱 zzzzzzz
What would be the point, you ignore anything that anyone writes?
You had your vote, we’re out, stop whining about it

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 315 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Fri 13 Aug 2021 4:46 am
waz-24-7 wrote:
Thu 12 Aug 2021 11:01 pm

Please do,
I'm all ears.
Before we do
🥱 zzzzzzz
What would be the point, you ignore anything that anyone writes?
You had your vote, we’re out, stop whining about it
No just responding the invited discussion.

What ,please, advantages am I and all of us enjoying. As I say; I'm all ears.
The silence is deafening!!

I guess you'll be asleep given you usually have very little of value to a say.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 316 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Fri 13 Aug 2021 1:53 pm
I and others have made dozens of posts on this to you and you ignore every single one so what would be the point?
You keep making the same posts and predictions which generally crash and burn but you plod on.
Your latest trick is as the covid situation has caused problems you try to tenuously blame them on Brexit.
Any mention of some of the problems that the EU has caused you totally ignore.

But we are out so suck it up.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 317 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Fri 13 Aug 2021 2:17 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
Fri 13 Aug 2021 1:53 pm
I and others have made dozens of posts on this to you and you ignore every single one so what would be the point?
You keep making the same posts and predictions which generally crash and burn but you plod on.
Your latest trick is as the covid situation has caused problems you try to tenuously blame them on Brexit.
Any mention of some of the problems that the EU has caused you totally ignore.

But we are out so suck it up.
Nothing to debate upon this empty post!!

My trick?? I'm afraid you are the prime hoodwinked Idio…. who followed the red bus and Mr Farage.

I refer to the post by another member referring to possibly moving forward.
" I very much look forward to that discussion. "

I can only assume you have no comment or view upon the possible positives.

Perhaps its the new trade deal with Australia who now want to export cheap lamb and mutton into the UK as they can produce it so much cheaper than British producers.
Or is it the fact that Honda UK built their last car in the UK last week as they move production to Belgium.

I simply enquire what positives you can bring to the table after you vote. Its not about sucking anything up. It is about the future in store for people like you and indeed me. Is that so difficult?

In my opinion and backed up by fact, if you are an Expat in Cyprus particularly but also in France, Spain and the EU. The losses are very apparent and emerging at a steady pace. I am indeed in that group so I , like you, have a very vested interest in the requested discussion.

jofra
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 318 of 346 in Discussion

Post by jofra »

Forficula auricularia, oh, once more...

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 319 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Fri 13 Aug 2021 8:21 pm

Perhaps its the new trade deal with Australia who now want to export cheap lamb and mutton into the UK as they can produce it so much cheaper than British producers.
Or is it the fact that Honda UK built their last car in the UK last week as they move production to Belgium.
Honda are in the toilet

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/feat ... e-so-wrong

Nissan are doing well though so I’m more than happy for Belgium to get Honda and any other failing car companies

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57666008

Yes no doubt Australia will sell us Lamb and Mutton. We buy it from New Zealand anyway so why not Australia it’s better than having to buy over priced Lamb and Mutton from EU countries that is over priced due to EU protectionism. And we sell them products like cars, confectionery and Scotch whisky. That’s how trade works btw, we buy stuff from them and they buy stuff from us.

There you go that’s another post you can ignore and that’s another 4 minutes you’ve taken out of my life I’ll never get back.

The pros or cons of Brexit won’t really be apparent until we have had 5 years out of the EU without all this covid.
I mean if it shuts you up for 5 years or moves you to a new subject I’m quite happy to say “oh god what have I done voting for Brexit oh god, oh god we’re doomed. Still got to laugh eh, whoops.” 😀

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 320 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Fri 13 Aug 2021 9:46 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:

Honda are in the toilet

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/feat ... e-so-wrong

Nissan are doing well though so I’m more than happy for Belgium to get Honda and any other failing car companies

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57666008

Yes no doubt Australia will sell us Lamb and Mutton. We buy it from New Zealand anyway so why not Australia it’s better than having to buy over priced Lamb and Mutton from EU countries that is over priced due to EU protectionism. And we sell them products like cars, confectionery and Scotch whisky. That’s how trade works btw, we buy stuff from them and they buy stuff from us.

There you go that’s another post you can ignore and that’s another 4 minutes you’ve taken out of my life I’ll never get back.

The pros or cons of Brexit won’t really be apparent until we have had 5 years out of the EU without all this covid.
I mean if it shuts you up for 5 years or moves you to a new subject I’m quite happy to say “oh god what have I done voting for Brexit oh god, oh god we’re doomed. Still got to laugh eh, whoops.” 😀

Thanks some useful comment finally
It is rather apparent that your bitter.... them and us position is still high on your agenda. It was brussels before Brexit and now its all the fault of Brussels.
Yes we buy they sell it works both ways of course. We agree certainly.
My surprise is that we are in a trade deal worth less than 1% of our GDP with a trading partner on the other side of the globe, apparently in preference to the EU one which is 20 miles distant and has been our largest customer for decades.

Yes I agree the real outcome will come in the decade following the covid crisis.
The road map is rather apparent already tho. In particular a real and crippling shortage of semiskilled and unskilled labour. The negative impact on us jointly for being on Cyprus is also apparent. Access to and travel to is emerging as more difficult and restricted.

No I'm sure any admittance to a mistake is futile. No , we are not doomed. We are just more isolated, restricted and less well off. For what?
Our viewpoints are clearly quite different that's a fact. Mine is a unified co -operation within Europe. Yours is something different.
The new and predicted fragility of the United Kingdom now concerns me. I am guessing that you too may share that concern.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 321 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Fri 13 Aug 2021 11:42 pm

Thanks some useful comment finally
It is rather apparent that your bitter.... them and us position is still high on your agenda. It was brussels before Brexit and now its all the fault of Brussels.
Some useful comments for you to put words in my mouth? Words that make no sense, it was brussels now it’s Brussels?
I’m not bitter, my vote counted we are out. You however are consumed by Brexit and blame it for everything. We’re out suck it up.
waz-24-7 wrote:

My surprise is that we are in a trade deal worth less than 1% of our GDP with a trading partner on the other side of the globe, apparently in preference to the EU one which is 20 miles distant and has been our largest customer for decades.
You like everyone else have no idea how much the trade will eventually be worth.
It’s a smaller world now, lots of countries including us trade with China which is a fair way away. It’s xenophobic to only want to trade with your neighbours. Australia was also one of our largest trading partners but then we joined the EU. Now we have left the EU it may become one of our largest trading partners again, now we are allowed to play with the other kids.

waz-24-7 wrote:

The road map is rather apparent already tho. In particular a real and crippling shortage of semiskilled and unskilled labour. The negative impact on us jointly for being on Cyprus is also apparent. Access to and travel to is emerging as more difficult and restricted.
No, you leap to any news that you think show up Brexit negatively, such as a reclining Honda closing a factory and ignore anything positive such as Nissan expanding, and call it a roadmap.
Importing semi skilled or unskilled Labour is never a difficulty, 100s of people are risking their lives everyday to travel to the U.K., but whilst covid is occurring obviously there maybe short term difficulties which would occur even if it were people travelling from one EU country to another.

The Cyprus border problem is mainly down to the GC’s being awkward and belligerent, a condition that the EU went a long way to create when they gave entry for a no vote to the Annan plan. But it’s not an insurmountable problem, use Ercan and Istanbul.

waz-24-7 wrote:

Our viewpoints are clearly quite different that's a fact. Mine is a unified co -operation within Europe. Yours is something different.
Your viewpoint is a exaggerated view of the success of the EU and it’s indispensability. I have no problem co-operating with our neighbours, my problem was being bounced into decisions in which the people couldn’t have a say as a condition for ongoing membership of the club.
But yes we have a different viewpoint. We had a vote, leave won. Remain can’t accept they lost. They want another go, 2 out of 3, 4 out of 7. Or they accept we will leave as long as everything remains exactly the same.
We have had 5 years of sulking, bleating, whining, fake news, exaggerations and it is getting very boring.
waz-24-7 wrote:

The new and predicted fragility of the United Kingdom now concerns me. I am guessing that you too may share that concern.
Nope wrong again.

Anyhow I’ve answered pretty much the same questions for the 20th time. You will totally ignore the answers by moving onto another point(less) only to bring up the same questions later where the answer will be the same.
But I’m going to ignore your attention seeking nonsense on this from now as you are a time sponge.

If you want to know my or a lot of other people’s opinion on your points then just search back through the years to any of the other times you made the same point and look at their answer.

If you wish to count me ignoring you as some sort of victory for your rapier like debating then feel free with my blessing as it is obvious you don’t win much so enjoy.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 322 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

Okay we clearly differ. That's fine.
I have indicated clearly my thoughts on why Brexit has produced a cluster of losses, risks, and negatives.
In the absence of any presentation or discussion on the positives: I guess we must wait the five years you propose to see what happens.
In the mean time we must all bear up and "survive". Is that really the best I can hope for?
I think that wraps it up until someone does indeed relay the positives.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 323 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 14 Aug 2021 9:42 am

What would be the point, people have listed positives before but you ignore them in favour of, blaming the negatives totally related to covid as being the fault of Brexit or making stuff up like we aren’t in Europe anymore or won’t be able to visit Spain?

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 324 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Sat 14 Aug 2021 10:19 am
waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 14 Aug 2021 9:42 am

What would be the point, people have listed positives before but you ignore them in favour of, blaming the negatives totally related to covid as being the fault of Brexit or making stuff up like we aren’t in Europe anymore or won’t be able to visit Spain?
Yes indeed, What is your point?
What has been the point of leaving Europe? Oh yes. I'm back in control and the millions of Turks are not now coming to the UK Yet now we are not even able to get food to our people due to labour shortages. Not your problem really as you've left UK shores. If you do get an opportunity to get back then perhaps you can help. For example drive a wagon, weld, or even pick fruit.

Incidentally i've never said you cannot visit Spain. I probably indicated that you now, post Brexit ,have no free passage or right of entry without permissions. Just like Cyprus.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 325 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 14 Aug 2021 12:30 pm

What has been the point of leaving Europe? Yet now we are not even able to get food to our people due to labour shortages. Not your problem really as you've left UK shores.
My points and other’s have been made countless times, maybe you can use the search facility and actually read them for the first time. They were generally in reply to your latest inane Brexit whine.
What I’m not going to do is keep repeating them for you to ignore afresh.

The current labour shortages are down to the NHS covid ping app going crazy. As for the food shortages I too have seen the pictures posted on social media of empty shelves in U.K. supermarkets by propagandists. Many do make the basic error of forgetting to photoshop out the aisle signs and suchlike which show they are in fact supermarkets in Spain or France but I guess as long as they can fool the useful idiots it’s job done.

As for this I don’t care because I live abroad crap you keep coming up with, most of my friends and family are in the U.K. so I did and do care about what happens there.
If you want to go down the self interest line look in the mirror as your main complaint seemed to be the paperwork and changes that would take place to your business.

Some businesses will suffer and fail and others will start and or thrive, that’s economics and business.
It is never economic sense to prop up failing businesses with protectionism, its a big world out there don’t be an isolationist.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 326 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Sat 14 Aug 2021 12:50 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 14 Aug 2021 12:30 pm

What has been the point of leaving Europe? Yet now we are not even able to get food to our people due to labour shortages. Not your problem really as you've left UK shores.
My points and other’s have been made countless times, maybe you can use the search facility and actually read them for the first time. They were generally in reply to your latest inane Brexit whine.
What I’m not going to do is keep repeating them for you to ignore afresh.

The current labour shortages are down to the NHS covid ping app going crazy. As for the food shortages I too have seen the pictures posted on social media of empty shelves in U.K. supermarkets by propagandists. Many do make the basic error of forgetting to photoshop out the aisle signs and suchlike which show they are in fact supermarkets in Spain or France but I guess as long as they can fool the useful idiots it’s job done.

As for this I don’t care because I live abroad crap you keep coming up with, most of my friends and family are in the U.K. so I did and do care about what happens there.
If you want to go down the self interest line look in the mirror as your main complaint seemed to be the paperwork and changes that would take place to your business.

Some businesses will suffer and fail and others will start and or thrive, that’s economics and business.
It is never economic sense to prop up failing businesses with protectionism, its a big world out there don’t be an isolationist.
I think that if you likewise use the search option you will fail to find the alleged benefits that I now enjoy as a non European.
Please feel free to help me.
Labour shortages are driven by a general exodus and unwelcome signal sent to Europeans that are willing to work within the UK economy.
100,000 drivers I see banded about. The track and trace ping has had an effect but I can tell you first hand. There is areal skill and labour shortage on the back of Brexit.

I think your grasp on economics is misplaced. The EU, our largest customer dictates the criteria for goods and services. Customers is right!! It is folly to think we can divorce that customer base in preference to the rest of the World. Particularly as the environmentalists seek to reduce the carbon footprint of transportation.

Yes i'm certain you do care about your family and friends in the UK. That's great. Rather hypocritical that you voted to exclude entry to UK for other Europeans . Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots are in that group. Do you expect them to maintain a level of welcome to your friends and Family should they want to visit your place in the sun?

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 327 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 14 Aug 2021 1:33 pm

Rather hypocritical that you voted to exclude entry to UK for other Europeans . Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots are in that group. Do you expect them to maintain a level of welcome to your friends and Family should they want to visit your place in the sun?
I’ll ignore the rest because it’s the usual nonsense but let’s address this point.
There is a very large Greek, Turkish, GC and TC community in North London. So large that Green Lane in Harringay is known as Greek Lane although there are as many Turks and TCs there as Greeks and GCs.
It has been like that since the 60s to my knowledge.
Remind me when the U.K., Greece, Cyprus and Turkey joined the EU?
I would hazard a guess that the Greeks and GCs main migration to the U.K. was well before either joined the EU or indeed before even the U.K. joined the EU.
But hey don’t let facts get in the way of your nonsense.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 328 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Sat 14 Aug 2021 2:25 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 14 Aug 2021 1:33 pm

Rather hypocritical that you voted to exclude entry to UK for other Europeans . Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots are in that group. Do you expect them to maintain a level of welcome to your friends and Family should they want to visit your place in the sun?
I’ll ignore the rest because it’s the usual nonsense but let’s address this point.
There is a very large Greek, Turkish, GC and TC community in North London. So large that Green Lane in Harringay is known as Greek Lane although there are as many Turks and TCs there as Greeks and GCs.
It has been like that since the 60s to my knowledge.
Remind me when the U.K., Greece, Cyprus and Turkey joined the EU?
I would hazard a guess that the Greeks and GCs main migration to the U.K. was well before either joined the EU or indeed before even the U.K. joined the EU.
But hey don’t let facts get in the way of your nonsense.
Confusion prevails I think. You should not confuse British colonialism and free movement of EU citizens.

Yes there was an influx in the 50's 60's of Cypriot refugees and colonial permissions. This was a result of the colonial occupation and the fact that the UK was a guarantor power upon Cyprus.
Cypriots cane to the UK and were awarded UK passports in order to escape the violence and killings during that troubled time.

How things have changed. I doubt very much the doors are so open right now given the choice to exclude migrant Europeans from our shores. Now that UK citizens also require Visas ;I expect other restrictions will emerge as a tit for tat restrictive protocol upon travel emerges.

Essentially, in my view, for UK citizens abroad it is not easier its harder and more problematic. What did you expect?

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 329 of 346 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

ETS

I am ignoring any posts by Waz for all the reasons you have mentioned.

IMO it’s pointless trying to engage in constructive debate.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

mrsgee
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 330 of 346 in Discussion

Post by mrsgee »

A serious question here, as everyone appears so knowledgeable.... so Cyprus is part of the British Commonwealth.... answers as succinct as possible please. Is there any impact or not..... just asking out of interest not for a friend.... thank you..... can't wait for opinions on this one... lol.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 331 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 14 Aug 2021 4:11 pm

Confusion prevails I think. You should not confuse British colonialism and free movement of EU citizens.

Yes there was an influx in the 50's 60's of Cypriot refugees and colonial permissions. This was a result of the colonial occupation and the fact that the UK was a guarantor power upon Cyprus.
Cypriots cane to the UK and were awarded UK passports in order to escape the violence and killings during that troubled time.
When did Britain colonise Greece and Turkey?

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 332 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Sat 14 Aug 2021 4:36 pm
ETS

Totally pointless, but you do get the thrill of seeing Waz blossom from an idiot into an imbecile.
But I am done with him now as he is a total time and oxygen thief

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 333 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

PoshinDevon wrote:
ETS

Quite the contrary. ETS has a clear destructive format to his posts. No debate at all !!
ETS, in my opinion, shows very little debating skill and your own comment is totally unnecessary and of absolutely no importance.
Last edited by waz-24-7 on Sat 14 Aug 2021 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 334 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Sat 14 Aug 2021 5:51 pm
PoshinDevon wrote:
ETS

Totally pointless, but you do get the thrill of seeing Waz blossom from an idiot into an imbecile.
But I am done with him now as he is a total time and oxygen thief
your collapse into slanderous insults simply indicates your lack of ability to debate and your ignorance. Perhaps you should have spent more time or at least attended school!!

There.... its two way traffic. I refrain from slander but you are such an empty vessel it is very hard not to retaliate.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 335 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Sat 14 Aug 2021 5:45 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 14 Aug 2021 4:11 pm

When did Britain colonise Greece and Turkey?
Oh dear.
Is it really that difficult. Cyprus was a British Colony and we still hold sovereign bases on the Island from when we handed the island back to the Cypriots. The UK has never colonised Turkey OR Greece.
During the troubles of the 50's Britain was one of the guarantor powers together with Greece, USA and Turkey.

Can I ask you consult with Posh . I think he was in the services so should have some historical recollection.

That should help you with your previous misunderstanding upon why and when there was Cypriot immigration to the UK

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 336 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 14 Aug 2021 7:37 pm

your collapse into slanderous insults simply indicates your lack of ability to debate and your ignorance.
waz-24-7 wrote:

I'm afraid you are the prime hoodwinked Idio…. who followed the red bus and Mr Farage.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 337 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 14 Aug 2021 7:44 pm

Oh dear.
Is it really that difficult. Cyprus was a British Colony and we still hold sovereign bases on the Island from when we handed the island back to the Cypriots. The UK has never colonised Turkey OR Greece.
No I’m really confused if we didn’t colonise Greece or Turkey how were they able to immigrate to the U.K. when none of us were members of the EU, how did this happen???

There are 175,000 Americans in the U.K. ex colony or member of the EU or member of the commonwealth?

Want me to go on?

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 338 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Sat 14 Aug 2021 8:14 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 14 Aug 2021 7:44 pm

Oh dear.
No I’m really confused if we didn’t colonise Greece or Turkey how were they able to immigrate to the U.K. when none of us were members of the EU, how did this happen???

There are 175,000 Americans in the U.K. ex colony or member of the EU or member of the commonwealth?

Want me to go on?
Precisely my point, EU nationals are no longer able to enter the UK without visas or specific permissions . The member states of the EU including Cyprus will do likewise.
The UK has now chosen to close its borders to anyone from the EU bar the chosen and the most desirable. What will the EU do? We can see the difficulties in Cyprus already.

Regarding the immigration you are possibly referring to.
In the Post war period the UK had a need for labour, intellect and other skills. We basically imported labour from the colonies to re build the Country.
Americans in the UK are presumably here by special arrangement or VISA or with the military. Certainly as we are trying to secure a trade deal with the USA my guess is that we will be rather obliging to the USA .

No... no need to go on

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 339 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 14 Aug 2021 8:50 pm

Precisely my point, EU nationals are no longer able to enter the UK without visas or specific permissions . The member states of the EU including Cyprus will do likewise.
The UK has now chosen to close its borders to anyone from the EU bar the chosen and the most desirable.
The chosen and the desirable?

So we will not select who we want to enter the U.K.? People can still come but they either have to be invited or we have a look at them and decide to let them in?

What a crazy Fascist idea.

I assume you don’t have a front door Waz so as to enable anyone who wants to pop in sit down watch the telly. Help themselves to the content of your fridge maybe borrow your car?

Being xenophobic I have a front door. People knock on it and if I know them I let them in. If I don’t know them I find out who they are and make a decision whether to let them in.

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 14 Aug 2021 8:50 pm

Regarding the immigration you are possibly referring to.
In the Post war period the UK had a need for labour, intellect and other skills. We basically imported labour from the colonies to re build the Country.
Americans in the UK are presumably here by special arrangement or VISA or with the military. Certainly as we are trying to secure a trade deal with the USA my guess is that we will be rather obliging to the USA .
That figure was from the 2011 census of Americans who were born there so no.
Yes I guess we could have invited them over in 2011 just on the off chance that 5 years later we would vote to leave the EU etc etc. It’s not impossible but...no it is impossible 😀
Obviously we can’t have done it just over the war anyhow because the EU didn’t exist then and without their existence migration didn’t exist and can’t exist according to your thinking.

Maybe they asked to come here and we had a think and said yes?

PoshinDevon
Kibkom Mod
Kibkom Mod

•   Message 340 of 346 in Discussion

Post by PoshinDevon »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 14 Aug 2021 7:33 pm
PoshinDevon wrote:
ETS

Quite the contrary. ETS has a clear destructive format to his posts. No debate at all !!
ETS, in my opinion, shows very little debating skill and your own comment is totally unnecessary and of absolutely no importance.
My comment was very necessary. It was informing you that despite my best efforts, debating with you is just a waste of time and effort.

Judging by the reducing numbers responding to your posts, you will soon be debating with yourself.

So to sum up and leave this topic to you………The U.K. has left the EU after a fair vote. We are on a different journey; which will take time and during which there will be bumps along the way. For me the journey has started reasonably well, but there is a long way to go and more to be done to make it even better. I am confident that will happen.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass,it's about learning to dance in the rain

Peterborough Utd -The Posh

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 341 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Sun 15 Aug 2021 8:11 am

So to sum up and leave this topic to you………The U.K. has left the EU after a fair vote. We are on a different journey; which will take time and during which there will be bumps along the way. For me the journey has started reasonably well, but there is a long way to go and more to be done to make it even better. I am confident that will happen.
My main problem with Waz is after he carefully listens to all sides and balances all the facts and opinions it is very hard sometimes to realise what side of the fence he sits.

He is also far too quiet on this subject. Personally I don't think enough weight is given to the effects of Brexit when a thread is discussing say a new Pizza restaurant.
I so wish Waz would jump in and shoe horn the possible negative effects of Brexit as to whether they might struggle to get Mozarella.

My personal plan was I like 17.4 million others voted for Brexit to hopefully end the EU, crash the economic system, advance fascism, break up the United Kingdom and eventually lead to war murdering everyone but white Aryan Europeans.
And despite those pesky kids hopefully we will accomplish this.

Due to Waz I now realise that the EU invented the airplane, cars, trains, the combustion engine, peace on earth, anti biotics, food, water and so so much more. But we should not let this divert us from our ultimate goal.

Obviously given that Waz has zero reading comprehension, self awareness or a sense of irony he will take this as an invitation to share some more drivel.

kerry 6138
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 342 of 346 in Discussion

Post by kerry 6138 »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/22/busi ... erlin.html

The vast pale gray factory with its own exit on the autobahn, surrounded by a pine forest east of Berlin, was supposed to be producing shiny new Teslas by now. Instead it has become a manifestation of what happens when Silicon Valley ambition collides with German procedure

https://insideevs.com/news/492324/gigaf ... -in-works/
Talks of a Tesla Gigafactory U.K. are back. The location would be in Somerset, England at a 635-acre smart campus called Gravity that’s currently under development.

https://electrek.co/2021/07/01/nissan-ev-factory...
01/07/2021 · Nissan has announced a new EV manufacturing hub called EV36Zero in Sunderland, UK, to produce a new electric crossover. The hub will also include its own battery factory

https://electricvehiclenewsfeed.com/2021/07/31/...
01/08/2021 · Rivian appears to be on the roll, as after the most recent $2.5 billion cash injection and a $5 billion investment plan in a second factory in the U.S., there are rumors about a third plant – in the UK.. According to Sky News‘ unofficial sources, Rivian has been in talks with the British government

Britishvolt is looking at five locations for a larger plant with an annual capacity of 10GWh of batteries aimed at mass-market cars, with the possibility of adding another 20GWh after that. Britishvolt expects to raise the first £1.2bn of funds in the next year, after receiving initial backing from Scandinavian and Middle Eastern investors.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 343 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

PoshinDevon wrote:
Sun 15 Aug 2021 8:11 am
waz-24-7 wrote:
Sat 14 Aug 2021 7:33 pm
PoshinDevon wrote:
ETS

My comment was very necessary. It was informing you that despite my best efforts, debating with you is just a waste of time and effort.

Judging by the reducing numbers responding to your posts, you will soon be debating with yourself.

Thanks.
Yes you are correct we have left the EU.
It is quite normal and news worthy that developments post Brexit are both reported and discussed. The notion to "suck it up" by another displays a level of ignorance poor understanding.
Two very important issues are the Northern island problem and on this forum the new issues of access and entry to Cyprus. The economic impact is another but less important on this forum.
I think that certainly (here) on the Cyprus issue there remains a very high level of interest and understandable concerns.
It concerns me rather how your continued line is that of "wait and see" with a clear state of denial on the new entry visa requirements.

What you also fail to grasp is the immediate negative effects that I have done my best to highlight and bring to attention.

I do hope you are able to share the positives you refer to and that a previous poster invited to discuss.

Regarding your first comment. A bit of glory seeking I think, and of no importance or matter.

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 344 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

kerry 6138 wrote:
Sun 15 Aug 2021 3:26 pm
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/22/busi ... erlin.html

The vast pale gray factory with its own exit on the autobahn, surrounded by a pine forest east of Berlin, was supposed to be producing shiny new Teslas by now. Instead it has become a manifestation of what happens when Silicon Valley ambition collides with German procedure

https://insideevs.com/news/492324/gigaf ... -in-works/
Talks of a Tesla Gigafactory U.K. are back. The location would be in Somerset, England at a 635-acre smart campus called Gravity that’s currently under development.

https://electrek.co/2021/07/01/nissan-ev-factory...
01/07/2021 · Nissan has announced a new EV manufacturing hub called EV36Zero in Sunderland, UK, to produce a new electric crossover. The hub will also include its own battery factory

https://electricvehiclenewsfeed.com/2021/07/31/...
01/08/2021 · Rivian appears to be on the roll, as after the most recent $2.5 billion cash injection and a $5 billion investment plan in a second factory in the U.S., there are rumors about a third plant – in the UK.. According to Sky News‘ unofficial sources, Rivian has been in talks with the British government

Britishvolt is looking at five locations for a larger plant with an annual capacity of 10GWh of batteries aimed at mass-market cars, with the possibility of adding another 20GWh after that. Britishvolt expects to raise the first £1.2bn of funds in the next year, after receiving initial backing from Scandinavian and Middle Eastern investors.
Thank you,
I have always been very pleased to learn of investment and will not offer any negatives to your report.
As a tier 1 supplier to the automotive industry and a producer of EV power handling solutions. I am pleased of the investment.
However, The UK is someway behind European and American EV developments. There is indeed large and attractive packages being thrown about. These are not only in the UK. Several EU members are also in the mix and money talks. I hope the UK can match the numbers being offered by the EU. Honda built its last car in the UK last week. Belgium won that competition and Swindon has lost its biggest employer.

On the economic front generally,post Brexit, the future is indeed unknown. It is increasingly competitive in global markets and many factors will influence industrial investment decisions. Certainly the EU and its massive customer base and free trade market is something that I feel the UK cannot compete against. The Trade deals to date ( Australia) are not great winners for our GDP and come with conditions.

People know well my opinions upon Brexit. I do not detract my views but take some discomfort from people who find it difficult to present some positivity that we are better off out than In.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 345 of 346 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

waz-24-7 wrote:
Sun 15 Aug 2021 5:41 pm

However, The UK is........
“I demand you tell me some positive news. Oh crap you’ve got some positive news. Ok so let’s just quickly brush that off and let me reel off some doom laden guesswork.
In an attempt to bring a fact in, I’ll bring up Honda closing again despite it being pointed out that Honda is in the crapper and has been for 10 years.”

waz-24-7
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 346 of 346 in Discussion

Post by waz-24-7 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Sun 15 Aug 2021 7:44 pm
waz-24-7 wrote:
Sun 15 Aug 2021 5:41 pm

However, The UK is........
“I demand you tell me some positive news. Oh crap you’ve got some positive news. Ok so let’s just quickly brush that off and let me reel off some doom laden guesswork.
In an attempt to bring a fact in, I’ll bring up Honda closing again despite it being pointed out that Honda is in the crapper and has been for 10 years.”
Well thanks indeed for the "crapper" bad news for Honda. I think you'll find globally they are strong and certainly I would much prefer they remained in Swindon.
I think it useful in the debate that some prospective is illustrated. Hiding under the bed in denial is hardly a prudent position.

One positive from Brexit is the disappearance of Brexit hero Farage. He now appears to be selling investments to the British public who may want to invest offshore!!

Return to “POLITICS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”