HELP - First time I have had a pool

Need help in maintaining your pool? Need to know where to buy pool parts, equipment and/or chemicals in North Cyprus? Get advice from experienced Kibkomers.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

katecornwell
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

HELP - First time I have had a pool

•   Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

Post by katecornwell »

I have just filled a very large pool - depth one end is 9ft!! - UGH.

When I went and got all the equipment, I obviously ought Chlorine and then said I needed PH 25KG TOZ (acid).

Cleaned the pool with a neighbour who helped me and showed me what to do. He put chlorine in. This was Tues morning. Took a test on Thurs morning as it looked rather cloudy and the chlorine was very yellow. My friends said done worry, the sun should burn it off and put the pump back on (filter). This morning I have taken another test after I had cleaned her and the pump had been on for over an hour, not so yellow but still yellow. PH seems fine.

Why do I have the acid, cos none of my friends have this? Wanting help from one very naive lady. Would really appreciate someone giving me some advice in layman's terms!! My pool takes 90 ton of water!!!

So when would I use the acid and how much chlorine would you advise I put in?

HELP, this is all very new and quite frightening!! - I want to do this as not many people would come out to AKDeniz to clean a pool, and to be honest cant really afford it!! regards Kate

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: HELP - First time I have had a pool

•   Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Hi,

The reason we put acid in the pool is because it helps to control the ph levels, I am not an expert on this matter but have been cleaning my pool for some time now and touch wood no big problems, and yes I do use acid now and again.

How are you testing the pool? A few years ago I bought digital tester, the readings are so simple to understand, unfortunately you cannot buy them here however, if you ever go South or back to the UK you can get them there, its called Aquachek, you can google it, they are about 60 sterling but well worth it.

The main problem with cleaning your own pool is if you get complacent and not check the chemical content in the water, I check mine about every 3 days.

Where are you please? Also regarding chlorine, most pool shops sell the chlorine blocks, you put 5 in a dispenser which they also sell, you can regulate how much chlorine it dispenses, it just floats around the pool and does its own thing.

TAC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

Post by TAC »

The acid is used to lower the ph only use if the ph goes to the top of your tester you may never need it
You should run the pump twice a day for around 2 hours a time
I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!

katecornwell
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

Post by katecornwell »

Thanks TAC and Mollie.

Mollie - I live in AKDeniz! I am sure I will get there, its just such a learning curve and she is such a big girl!!

I test the pool every 2-3 days at the moment and the level (yellow) of chlorine is coming down but not drastically!.. I have put her on for 2 hours this morning after cleaning her and she will go back on around 8 tonight for just under 1.5.hrs. Just want to get her clear !

Again thanks to you both.
Regards
Kate

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

katecornwell wrote:
Fri 27 May 2022 6:46 am

I want to do this as not many people would come out to AKDeniz to clean a pool, and to be honest cant really afford it!! regards Kate
The chemicals are quite a decent proportion of what you get charged for pool maintenance so imo it’s a bit of a false economy doing your own pool. For example my pool guy heard our pool pump making some strange noises & said the bearings or something or other was going. Took it off and got it repaired for £20. Had he have not picked up on it, and it sounded fine to my untrained ear, we would have needed a new pump.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

katecornwell wrote:
Fri 27 May 2022 8:10 am
Thanks TAC and Mollie.

Mollie - I live in AKDeniz! I am sure I will get there, its just such a learning curve and she is such a big girl!!

I test the pool every 2-3 days at the moment and the level (yellow) of chlorine is coming down but not drastically!.. I have put her on for 2 hours this morning after cleaning her and she will go back on around 8 tonight for just under 1.5.hrs. Just want to get her clear !

Again thanks to you both.
Regards
Kate
tbh, it seems you lack fundamental knowledge of (chemistry and ) pool maintenance.
it is difficult if not impossible to help you in these circumstances.
in the internet are thousands of "help and info" sites... did you have a look before you filled your pool? not?

eg, about pool pump running times:
your pool should be circulated once a day, so, 90 tons +balance tank.
in summer, we have 30+ degrees right now, minimim factor 1,2 = 115 t circulation is needed.
do you have any clue what your pool pump can circulate @ say, 0,7 bar, in one hr? not?
or, eg, backwash. did you do a good backwash since tuesday? if not.....
in pool maintenance you always have to be proactive.
if the pool is dirty , cloudy, green and so on... you are in trouble..... and you need more and other chemicals..

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Sorry, thats one of the most unhelpful replies ever, even I have no idea what you are talking about!

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

katecornwell
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

Post by katecornwell »

Thanks Groucho

My neighbour (Turkish) popped down and said I needed some Sulphate in the pool. I had a bag that Pooltech advised me to buy, so he put some in and it started to clear. Have taken another test this morning, chlorine OK, the PH level, is showing a pale pink, which my test kit says is OK!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all for helping apart from one, thanks Mollie for replying to that post. Couldnt believe what that person wrote, thought it so rude and unhelpful.

Regards
Kate

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

katecornwell wrote:
Sun 29 May 2022 7:28 am
Thanks Groucho

Thanks to all for helping apart from one, thanks Mollie for replying to that post. Couldnt believe what that person wrote, thought it so rude and unhelpful.

Regards
Kate
well, ok, rude or not.. free to interpretation...
but unhelpful?
i did give the advice to circulate your pool sufficently.. i even suggested numbers.
if not, you definitely will slide into the next problems soon.

Medjoul1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Medjoul1 »

Hi Kate,

I'm guessing the pool hasn't been used for quite some time?
The sand in the filter may have become compacted and so not filtering properly so it might take some time to settle in.
Atm I have my pump on for 3/24 hrs and it's doing a decent job in the 4 by 8 pool.
I can only suggest from experience that you increase the hours of the pump and the amount of chlorine for starters but before that put some 'flocc ' in the pool and when all the rubbish has settled on the bottom vacuum it out to waste, backwash the filter and start from clean again. I know it will mean losing a substantial amount of water so speed is of the essence!
Flocc isn't cheap but I can let you have enough to try, call in when you are passing.
I do this procedure when I take the net off the pool after winter, first clean.
Good luck

TAC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Post by TAC »

Medjoul1 wrote:
Thu 02 Jun 2022 6:39 am
Hi Kate,

I'm guessing the pool hasn't been used for quite some time?
The sand in the filter may have become compacted and so not filtering properly so it might take some time to settle in.
Atm I have my pump on for 3/24 hrs and it's doing a decent job in the 4 by 8 pool.
I can only suggest from experience that you increase the hours of the pump and the amount of chlorine for starters but before that put some 'flocc ' in the pool and when all the rubbish has settled on the bottom vacuum it out to waste, backwash the filter and start from clean again. I know it will mean losing a substantial amount of water so speed is of the essence!
Flocc isn't cheap but I can let you have enough to try, call in when you are passing.
I do this procedure when I take the net off the pool after winter, first clean.
Good luck
I agree with what is posted above you will need to put the pump on more now summer is on its way I would say between 8 and 12 hours a day you could build it up slowly until you hit the spot for your pool
I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

I've been looking after my pools for 15 years and never needed to run them for more than 3 hours a day.

Medjoul1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Medjoul1 »

I agree Groucho but these are desperate measures to get the pool to an acceptable state and then lower the hours to find the optimum.
I used to run mine at night on low tariff then along came KibTek (:"()

katecornwell
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

Post by katecornwell »

Again thanks to all

My pool I'm delighted to say is crystal clear - so relieved and am a very happy bunny! I only have my pool on now for 2.5hrs a day.

Kindest Kate

Medjoul1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Medjoul1 »

Good news Kate, hope it stays that way :+1:)

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yju64TrnZV4

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ORIDGET-Electr ... BCFX&psc=1

I have replaced my pump room timer with one of these.... they are able to store 3 on/off periods per day and best of all - they are rechargeable battery backed-up, which means:-

1. they keep their programs in memory
2. no moving parts to wear out

it's great knowing that I don't have go down into the pump room to reset the timer after a power cut,

Return to “POOLS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”