General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

greenvalley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Christmas Shopping In South?

•   Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

Post by greenvalley »

We have our 2 years residency, so this year we shall spend 8 months in Cyprus. Please would you know if we can still have a day in the south to do some Christmas shopping ?
Probably take a Taxi.
Thanx for your replies.

Deniz1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Christmas Shopping In South?

•   Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Deniz1 »

Yes you can. So could I but I spend my money in the place I live.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Remember - The first time you go South is Day 1 of 90. You can then go South for another 89 days only, after which you can not enter the South for a further 90 days! If you wish to drive in the South there are many threads on this forum which you should search and read. The main things are - if you are a UK citizen - you need your own TRNC registered vehicle with the driver of same being named on the vehicle log book (kochan), you can only cross (with your vehicle) at Metahan as you also need a TOM (permission to drive in the South) certificate - this is free but you have to obtain it before you can get your South car insurance - again lots of discussion on here about this! Once fully "Tom'ed" up and insured the world is your oyster and away you go. The driving in the South I find to be confusing a times - probably because I have lived here for 16 years in the North and am used to the "He who dares" attitudes of many drivers up here, the South I find faster and lots of cameras, crossings, traffic lights, idiots and signs in a language I don't understand - lol. If you just remember that it is everyone else's right of way it can be easy on the blood pressure - lol.
Of course you could spend your money up here but you will not get the same choice of products you can find - normally more expensive - in the South but then it's your money and you should spend it where you want to. Remember there are restrictions on how much and of what things you can bring back into the North also on how much you have spent in the South! Normally not too rigidly applied but at Christmas time the "customs" on the North side can be a bit more inquisitive!!!
If you go, just go and enjoy your day - you have 24 hours from the issue of the TOM and make sure your passport, if scanned on entry to the South is also scanned on exit again! As a first trip across it can be fun or fury, it's up to you, I find the general public to be helpful and easy to get on with but there can be exceptions to the rule. Good luck.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

greenvalley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

Post by greenvalley »

Good for you Deniz 1 🤐

Waddo,
Thank you so very much for your very informative reply. Fingers crossed 🤞 we shall have a good day shopping, mainly looking around Jumbo because we've been told it's definitely worth a shopping trip🙂

poppy++1
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

Post by poppy++1 »

Waiting for BRS to do a trip for Christmas shopping :+1:)

torontomapleleaf
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

Post by torontomapleleaf »

Re the 'TOM' it's only valid for the day of issue between 8am and midnight.

TML
The Mountie always gets his man

Mowgli597
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Mowgli597 »

torontomapleleaf wrote:
Wed 02 Nov 2022 11:40 am

TML
For non-EU (or only U.K.?) passport holders.

Inshallah :x))

a1sysman
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

Post by a1sysman »

Mowgli597 wrote:
Wed 02 Nov 2022 1:30 pm
torontomapleleaf wrote:
Wed 02 Nov 2022 11:40 am

TML
For non-EU (or only U.K.?) passport holders.

Inshallah :x))
Announcement

RE: Temporary circulation license and temporary driving license

Temporary licenses are only issued for:

• Turkish Cypriots and citizens of EU: (duration one year)

• U.K. nationals provided they are allowed by the immigration office to pass in the territory controlled by the Republic of Cyprus: (duration one day)

ROAD TRANSPORT DEPARTMENT

BEIGE ALMAKI
libens volens potens

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

You should avoid football match days as the football hooligans have a tendency to pop buy IKEA car park and vandalise north Cyprus cars ..just speaking from experience sad but true ..

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

We have been going South since June, 9 times out of 10 they wave you through at Metahan on the Greek side. We were told that just to go shopping the 90 day rule did not apply, wrong! Last week we came back after shopping stopped at the crossing, a very snotty Police women was very rude indeed, asked to see passports thats when the fun started.
She raised her voice saying we have broken the 90 rule by 3 days and began remonstrating to us in a very loud voice, she was banging the passports on the table and visibly shaking, I smiled at her which made her worse!
She bawled out Insurance, which obviously we had, after more shouting she slapped the passports down hard and said dont you dare come back until the end of January!!

Does anyone know as FACT what the penalty is if it happened again?

ljarvo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

Post by ljarvo »

The same happened to me but they wouldn’t let me cross to the Greek side

Said come back January!

At least you got your shopping ….

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”