Dog walking areas Ozankoy

All you need to know about looking after your pets in North Cyprus. Find out about vet services, how and where to register your dog....and much more.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

Jane M
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Dog walking areas Ozankoy

•   Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Jane M »

I may be moving to Ozankoy soon, are there any areas where I can walk my dogs safely off the lead? I prefer not to walk them on a beach if possible, are there any more rural areas where they can run free?

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Dog walking areas Ozankoy

•   Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

We find Hz Omer Tomb Park Catalkoy & Catalkoy old runway. Ideal off lead walking areas

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Wherever you walk your dogs be very careful of the processionary caterpillars that are about at this time of the year. Do not let your dogs near them or you will be taking them to the vets very soon!!! Do not touch them either, there are dangerous to all forms of life.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

ljarvo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

Post by ljarvo »

We have never walked our dogs off lead - you have to be careful of stray dogs and snakes.

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

Also be aware plenty of strays in Ozanköy now as well, we used to walk our dog there but don't now.

Jane M
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Jane M »

Thank you Mimi2, could you please give directions to the place you walk your dogs? From the Bellapais traffic lights say?
I know about processionary caterpillars, and one of my two would certainly be up for a sniff. I'll keep on the lookout for them. As for strays, unfortunately they're found wherever I walk.

come_on_aylin
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

Post by come_on_aylin »

ljarvo wrote:
Fri 03 Mar 2023 7:47 am
We have never walked our dogs off lead - you have to be careful of stray dogs and snakes.
I saw a snake last week so they are about and will be until late in the year, we regularly come across them when out. We also have to be aware that there are sheep and goats, especially at the moment as there are a lot of young. The processionary caterpillars are a nightmare this year and of course unfortunately poison is always a possibility. I pretty much always have the dogs on leads these days.

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Dog walking areas OzankoykHi Jane

•   Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

Hi JaneM
From traffic lights go to Harbour roundabout turn right on to main road to Catalkoy. Continue about 5 Kilometer.
Ya Beles fruit & veg on right. Take first left. Signposted
Hi Omer & Lodge Bar. Drive to sharp left turn. On right is dirt track. Takes you to old runway. Or continue to end of road is Hz Omer Tomb park

Jane M
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Jane M »

Thank you Mimi2 2, great directions. I'll go and investigate those areas this week.

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

Jane M Your welcome. There are 4 street dogs that live in the park. They have been there a long time & are very friendly

Jane M
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Jane M »

I went to the Catalkoy runway today to check out the area for dog walking, and there is a sign saying Forbidden Zone. Do people still use it regardless? There was no one there when I went this morning?

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

Jane M old runway used to be military area. Just the odd sign still around. Not applicable now.
If you walk length runway turn left at end go down to sea walk around part built hotel then back up towards runway.
Follow any of the tracks off runway for some interesting walks

Jane M
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

Post by Jane M »

Thank you Mimi2, I didn't go on it yesterday, just in case!! But I walked around the area just off the dirt track. So sad to see such fly tipping everywhere. A good place to know about for us dog walkers as there does not seem to be much else around on that side. I'm in Karşıyaka currently and we have many more open areas where dogs can run off lead.

Return to “PETS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”