The wedding of Eda and Dimitris ... good news for Cypriots?

Planning a wedding in the TRNC? Get all the information you need from Kibkom members.

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

The wedding of Eda and Dimitris ... good news for Cypriots?

•   Message 1 of 3 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

My TC Father-in-law has often told me of how, in the late 40s and early 50s, he used to play in the village with his GC friends. I'm sure there are many Cypriots of Zihni's age with similar stories to tell. One then has to wonder why it is then that the two communities found it so difficult to coexist. It would seem to me that perhaps the main reason was the families' unwillingness to allow their children (particularly the daughters) to have inter-communal marriages.

Maybe then we should be especially happy to hear of the wedding, on September 1st, of (Greek) Dimitris Ginosatis and (Turk) Eda Polat, the daughter of Adnan Polat, the president of Polat Holding and former president of Galatasaray SK. Though no longer at the helm, Polat is still well respected by the football club's supporters ... supporters that would seem to make up a large percentage of TCs.

So who knows, maybe Dimitris and Eda, clearly with the support of Eda's Father, are (possibly unknowingly) doing their little bit to improve inter-communal relations on the island.

http://magazin.milliyet.com.tr/adnan-po ... ?ref=yahoo

Any thoughts?

suehowlittle
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: The wedding of Eda and Dimitris ... good news for Cyprio

•   Message 2 of 3 in Discussion

Post by suehowlittle »

|No thoughts, just good wishes for their future happiness. They are living proof that love transcends religion, politics and all the rest of the man-made rubbish!

Good luck to them always.

iancrumpy
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: The wedding of Eda and Dimitris ... good news for Cyprio

•   Message 3 of 3 in Discussion

Post by iancrumpy »

Sue, love may indeed transcend religion and politics, but, at least here in Cyprus, religion unfortunately seems to have been a very important factor in determining the suitor for ones daughter. Thankfully though Eda's family seem to be somewhat more progressive, and hopefully this could lead to other Turks and TCs giving their approval to Greco/Turkish (or GC/TC) maraiages. However, yes at this stage, the thought of improving inter-communal relations is probably the last thing on the couple's minds - they are just looking forward to spending their lives together

Return to “WEDDINGS - Kibkom North Cyprus Forum”