General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

frugal90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Turkish lira

•   Message 1 of 40 in Discussion

Post by frugal90 »

Turkish lira seems to be stabilising, the hiking of interest rates seems to be working

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Turkish lira

•   Message 2 of 40 in Discussion

Post by Brinsley »

More to do with international financial speculators than curbing the rampant inflation which is ongoing on a daily basis!

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 40 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

Also the GBP against the $ fella ..with still rampant inflation it's unlikely to staY where it is ..

Turkey and trnc will be increasing the salary again soon ...in trnc now it's set now against inflation by law. No more wage committee just automatic increases

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 40 in Discussion

Post by Brinsley »

That seems to be a 'Liz Truss economic banana republic policy' to me!

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 40 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Supermarkets have already put their prices up to account for the rise in minimum wage due next month - lol.
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 40 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 7 of 40 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

"extremely abnormal situation in the country" (:Q)

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 40 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

I still say there is greed here in a big way and please don't go on about the rates of pay as I know that. However if prices are going up in shops when there has yet to be an increase announced and when shops are selling goods that they bought in at prices 6 months ago and they have been in a stock room, then that's my definition of greed.

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 9 of 40 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

Agreed. Excuse the pun ($$)

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 40 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 11 of 40 in Discussion

Post by erol »

If you have stock you need to sell it for a price that reflects the cost of replacing that stock not the price you bought the stock for. Unless you are closing up shop and are just clearing that stock out once and for all and not going to sell any more. Otherwise you will go out of business.

Some see greed. I just see common business sense.

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 40 in Discussion

Post by Brinsley »

Never understood why honey jars have an expiry date, it never goes off unlike some supermarket shelf products well past their 'sell buy date' for sale, seem to keep up with inflation!

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 40 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

It just seems a little strange that the cost of replacing stock goes up every time there is a rise in the minimum wage? Do the suppliers know that the minimum wage has gone up before the Government announced it, or are the businesses that put the prices up before the minimum wage increase actually takes effect just guessing that the suppliers will increase the costs? Totally understand the principle of replacement costs but if there is no greed, then why have the Government set up a system of checking the price on the product?

Hector
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 40 in Discussion

Post by Hector »

On Saturday evening, we went a little further out than Karsiyaka for a meal and passed many restaurants there and back. The Indian restaurant we visited was empty when we arrived and had only a few customers when we left. The restaurants we could see looked similar regarding the number of customers. I don't remember seeing it this quiet before. Is this a sign of people cutting back, or just what happens on a Saturday evening in late April?

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 40 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

erol wrote:
Fri 26 Apr 2024 5:18 pm
If you have stock you need to sell it for a price that reflects the cost of replacing that stock not the price you bought the stock for. Unless you are closing up shop and are just clearing that stock out once and for all and not going to sell any more. Otherwise you will go out of business.

I do see your point Erol, and I would agree if I thought it was justified, however I do think there is clear profiteering in some cases. I was charged 150TL for a coffee a few months ago, it will be the last time I have coffee in that establishment. It's a shame as the food is superb, but will drink water in future and have my coffee back home. A few days later, I was charged 50TL for a mug of Americano at another place nearby. I am well aware of the price of coffee beans here. In this case, it really was a huge mark up, as being generous, was one coffee per 125 grams of beans when they served about 15g of coffee max.

I've just come back from UK and found pub prices for food not too far off what we are paying here, perhaps a little more expensive in UK, but not the great difference it used to be.

erol
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 16 of 40 in Discussion

Post by erol »

I do not think there is no profiteering here. I just am not convinced that selling old stock at a price that reflects what it cost to replace that stock is the definition of greed.

Keithcaley
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 17 of 40 in Discussion

Post by Keithcaley »

erol wrote:
Mon 29 Apr 2024 6:31 am
I do not think there is no profiteering here. I just am not convinced that selling old stock at a price that reflects what it cost to replace that stock is the definition of greed.
:+1:)

Groucho
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 40 in Discussion

Post by Groucho »

If businesses can't afford to restock because we refuse to pay then it's back to the old days of rotting vegetables and very sparse shelves. :(

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 40 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

I brought up the price of a coffee out in another post some are charging more than in Starbucks in the UK. Where the minimum wage is 3 times higher ...doesn't add up ..I'm still going to buy a coffee when I want as I don't drink alcohol but that looks like profiteering to me .

Some of it like meat prices is down to the government to sought out and paying $ for tl Turkish imports . If they are not going to allow cheap meat imports then they need to subsidise the farmers and regulate the price they can't allow butchers to charge what they like when they are controlling the supply . People can't afford to.buy meat and typically tcs are not vegetarian 😂

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 40 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Thanks Erol for clarifying, agree with you.

Reyntj, I'll still drink coffee out too when I want to, but will avoid establishments who are clearly profiteering. I can't remember the last time I had alcohol out here, as I always have the car, so I have absolutely no idea of pricing there.
Cost of meat is ridiculous, I don't know how working people can afford it on the wages here. I'm so glad that I am vegetarian.

Another problem now here is with banks upping rates on credit/debit card payments. I went into petrol station in Tatlisu a few days ago, and they are no longer taking card payments for petrol, at the moment anyway. Suspect they aren't the only ones. Looks like I might have to start carrying cash again.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 40 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Took my daughter up to Hilarion Castle last September because she wanted to go to the top - I waited at the bottom, lol - but had a single Turkish Coffee from the little cafe place there. Cost then was 100TL so I just wonder what it has gone up to this year - won't be buying it anyway but interested. My local coffee shop charged me 10TL last week and said they were sorry for the price increase! Guess it must cost 90TL to carry the same small bag of Turkish Coffee up to the cafe then?

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 40 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Wait until you go to Ercan, small coffee in a paper cup, 195 TL, daylight robbery!

MVP
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 40 in Discussion

Post by MVP »

I think the lira is wildly overvalued, 60 to the £ would be more like it

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 40 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Ozerlat Turkish Coffee £5.75 for 250g (233TL) but you have to fly to UK to get it at that price - lol. Turkish coffee per cup is around 70g, or 1 part coffee to 10 parts water! That would be a big and strong mug of coffee. Interesting to figure out just how much coffee you get in a standard Turkish Coffee cup, it is a moveable feast really! Found this - "For Turkish coffee we prefer 1 part coffee to 12 parts water, so our brew needed 30 grams of coffee for the 350 mL of water (12 fluid ounces).". So let's just work on 30g per cup for instance, you would get around 8 cups to the 250g pack @ 195TL a cup would put the coffee price up to 1560TL (£38.50) !

You can tell I don't have much to do today - lol. But I think it is fair to say that even if the Turkish Coffee was purchased in the UK, then shipped back to here and customs taxes paid on it as well, then it is quite possible that it would not cost the coffee seller that much to replace his existing stock!

I think it is a good example of GREED and nothing less. Time for coffee now.

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 25 of 40 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

waddo wrote:
Tue 30 Apr 2024 8:27 am
Time for coffee now.

What time does your flight land at Stansted? :lol:

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 40 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Thinking of getting a cheap cup at Ercan before I get into Istanbul airport - may need a mortgage to buy coffee there!!

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 40 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

alphamike wrote:
Sun 28 Apr 2024 6:28 pm
erol wrote:
Fri 26 Apr 2024 5:18 pm

I do see your point Erol, and I would agree if I thought it was justified, however I do think there is clear profiteering in some cases. I was charged 150TL for a coffee a few months ago, it will be the last time I have coffee in that establishment. It's a shame as the food is superb, but will drink water in future and have my coffee back home. A few days later, I was charged 50TL for a mug of Americano at another place nearby. I am well aware of the price of coffee beans here. In this case, it really was a huge mark up, as being generous, was one coffee per 125 grams of beans when they served about 15g of coffee max.

I've just come back from UK and found pub prices for food not too far off what we are paying here, perhaps a little more expensive in UK, but not the great difference it used to be.
It’s only the cost of booze that keeps the price comparable with the Uk now.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 40 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Brazen wrote:
Wed 01 May 2024 7:25 am

I have no idea of the price of alcohol here at bars etc. so wouldn't have a clue....unlike the price of coffee. :lol:

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 40 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

I have no idea of the price of alcohol here at bars etc. so wouldn't have a clue....unlike the price of coffee
Well a bottle of whiskey costs approx 200Tl , that will give 32 single shots or 16 doubles, I was recently in a resuturant and the scotch was measeured out as a single , cost was 120 TL for one measure of whiskey.

So no Greed? , old stock! you can work it out. (:Q)

Hair Cut
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 40 in Discussion

Post by Hair Cut »

tutor4u wrote:
Wed 01 May 2024 11:51 am
I have no idea of the price of alcohol here at bars etc. so wouldn't have a clue....unlike the price of coffee
Well a bottle of whiskey costs approx 200Tl , that will give 32 single shots or 16 doubles, I was recently in a resuturant and the scotch was measeured out as a single , cost was 120 TL for one measure of whiskey.

So no Greed? , old stock! you can work it out. (:Q)
I agree the cost of alcohol in restaurants is crazy. I went to a "Bog standard" restaurant the other day and they wanted 650tl for a bottle of Angora. That's about a 500% markup if not more.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 40 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Ouch! Here's me moaning about coffee too. Only comparison I have is that having just returned from UK and spent money on food, soft drinks and wine, a large glass of wine was roughly £6-£7, much appreciated by my daughter. :lol: So wine mark up in UK can't be far off what they charge here.

TAC
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 40 in Discussion

Post by TAC »

Much depends on what bar you drink in a rum and coke 100tl in 3 bars another put it up to 120tl 3 weeks ago another 130tl 6 weeks ago
I no longer use the last two bars
I'm leaving now to go find myself....if I arrive before I get back, please ask me to wait!

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 40 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

It does indeed, last night I hosted a quiz at a local restaurant, Efes 100 TL, a medium/large Red wine and a diet coke 160 TL which I thought was reasonable. Unfortunately this is where this Island is going, from what it used to be, we believe its time to go now.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 40 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Average cost of a pint of beer in UK £3.95 - Efes at 100tl for a 500ml can seems like a good price. Where are you going to go to? I had a hard look at cost of things in the UK, some are cheaper but most are the same as here - and it's cold and wet there!!!

Charlieboy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 40 in Discussion

Post by Charlieboy »

£6.50-£7 for a pint in Bromley

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 40 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

alphamike wrote:
Wed 01 May 2024 7:40 am
Brazen wrote:
Wed 01 May 2024 7:25 am

I have no idea of the price of alcohol here at bars etc. so wouldn't have a clue....unlike the price of coffee. :lol:
Was charged 140tl for an Americano in Gloria Jeans a couple of days ago (equivalent to £3.45) but have no idea how that compares to uk prices

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 37 of 40 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

To be honest Brazen, I don't know what I paid for coffee in UK, was always after food, not just going into a place for coffee. I'd expect it to be more than £3.45 though. I only know the price of wine as the list was on the table, or I'd bought wine at the bar before the table was ready.

kibsolar1999
Verified Business
Verified Business

•   Message 38 of 40 in Discussion

Post by kibsolar1999 »

Reyntj wrote:
Wed 24 Apr 2024 1:32 pm
Also the GBP against the $ fella ..with still rampant inflation it's unlikely to staY where it is ..

Turkey and trnc will be increasing the salary again soon ...in trnc now it's set now against inflation by law. No more wage committee just automatic increases
so, basically, there are no commitees any more which could negotiate a "real wage rise".. just the inflation is covered.
very bad.

Brinsley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 39 of 40 in Discussion

Post by Brinsley »

Now it's heating up my thirst quenching tipple is Campari & soda. The bigger supermarkets with plenty of shelf stock have increased a 1Lt bottle from 600Tl to 900Tl in a week!? My corner dairy shop was selling 70Lt bottle for 279Tl, before I bought out the whole old priced stock!
The problem is 'Fruko Soda' is now out of stock everywhere!
Back to waist expanding beer, bang goes the diet regime!

MnM
Verified Member
Verified Member

•   Message 40 of 40 in Discussion

Post by MnM »

Brinsley wrote:
Thu 02 May 2024 4:53 pm
Back to waist expanding beer, bang goes the diet regime!

What about Pilsner?

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”