General Forum

Moderators: Soner, Dragon, PoshinDevon

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Beware peeps

•   Message 1 of 80 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

Beware peeps, there seems to be a trend to over charge for meals and drinks in TRNC.
Whilst I have no issues paying for good food and service , I do object to being ripped off, which seems to be on the increase, Name and Shame by location please , BUT not by name.
(:"()

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

Re: Beware peeps

•   Message 2 of 80 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

We are out tonight to a local curry house, not been for a long time we shall see.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 3 of 80 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Of course its bound to happen when. as like us. we have been frequently to an establishment that does not publish any prices on their menu. Have stopped going and I cannot for the life of me understand why people continue to go. I do notice though that the British customers are somewhat fewer than in the past and Russian and German voices are heard more frequently.

Stan Lockley
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 4 of 80 in Discussion

Post by Stan Lockley »

Inflation according to Cyprus today is 95%. I’m afraid it is will only get worse.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 5 of 80 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 6 of 80 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

BB,

Totally agree with you about people being ripped off and going back for more. It its illegal for any bar or restaurant not to display prices - please everyone do report them to the local Belediye or municipality if they are not doing so. Equally, check the final bill tallies with the price on the menu.

war horse
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 7 of 80 in Discussion

Post by war horse »

Went with friend to House Resturant in Kyrenia, NO prices at all on their menu, just a shock when you get the bill? Not a cheap place to eat but a nice treat, but sadly won't be going again, don't mind paying but really dont like being Ripped Off

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 8 of 80 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

With the greatest of respect, when you dont see the prices what does that tell you? Even worse, you are shocked when you get the bill? On Saturday we went to a local curry house, 4 poppadoms, to large beers, two chicken curries with rice and chapatis, lovely meal, great service. 960 TL (23.47p) in old money, without a tip.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 9 of 80 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Trouble is, we were told that we have to use our mobiles after downloading that bar code thingy and not everything on there is in the hard copy menu. I refuse to keep defending these people. Its the same as we had for years when we moved here i.e. the Cypriot shrug and that didn't cost us any money, just bloody annoying, the menu business is becoming expensive.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 10 of 80 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

Trouble is, we were told that we have to use our mobiles after downloading that bar code thingy
Why should any establishment assume that I carry a mobile phone and have the Q code app on it.

If you cannot supply a menu with current prices then I will not give you my business.

I have in the past requested a written menu and it has been supplied, If Not supplied then I will leave and take my custom elsewhere .

I fear a lot of businesses are struggling and I also see that bar prices are being reduced locally in Catalkoy.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 11 of 80 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

One last note about the cost of a cup of coffee. This morning I popped into a typical cafe on the main road in Alsancak. Asked if they would be prepared to make me a cup of Nescafe. Of course, of course. It duly arrived in a small cup. Twenty mins later I went to pay.........150tl for a small cup of Nescafe (which it probably wasn't) Haven't been there for years and won't be going again. Perhaps they thought I was a tourist, not that it should have mattered.

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 12 of 80 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

Perhaps they thought I was a tourist, not that it should have mattered.
Why did you not complain ?

I know of a couple who negotiated the price of a glass of wine in a local Indian Restaurant, and got a lower price. :+1:)

Ace123
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 13 of 80 in Discussion

Post by Ace123 »

Why should you negotiate on something you’ve had not at lot of option really other than to vote with your feet and don’t go back . Imo

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 14 of 80 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

BB no wonder you won't be going back, 150 TL for Nescafe is totally a rip off. I do confess to not having a clue what a jar instant coffee costs. When I complained in another thread, it was re an Americano.

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 15 of 80 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

That was very bad . I would have done as you done paid and left with a plan not to return .

They probably had just read about the new minimum wage and decided they needed to take immediate action😀

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 16 of 80 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

BomBay Gin 200 TL + Mixer + Scotch 175 TL + Mixer Catalkoy Prices,

Except for the Sea Angle Bar where prices are reasonable, about 70 Tl for each of the above.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 17 of 80 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

Vicious circle, unfortunately I did not have enough lira to pay our breakfast bill, yes we knew the price but to see those 2 purple coloured notes on the table made me think, when did breakfast/ brunch cost over £40. Yes we did take a packet home. A definite one off now not the normal weekly treat. Everyone suffers especially as minimum wage is very low to cover rent, food, the bills and support the family.

akvam
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 18 of 80 in Discussion

Post by akvam »

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 19 of 80 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

In the last 6 months even in £ many restaurants have increased prices by about 50 % from what I can make out ..

Most don't have the quality or dining experience to warrant it ..
It was fine when you ate a chicken shish meal for quite cheap ..for us it's mostly not worth it now and whilst it falls within our budget it's poor food for the prices being paid . We ate in a well known chain restaurant yesterday 1 fajita 1 fish and chip 2 cokes it was £30. 6 months ago £20 for the same meal. We will continue to eat there but it's nothing to rave about .food nothing special just saves my wife from cooking.

The Indian restaurants are all slop.incomparable to the UK.although cheap got salmonella last delivery and spent 3 days taking intravenous antibiotics. Can't order now.
Turkish all the same.repetitive. fixed menu I saw yesterday for 1 £50/2000 tl in well known karalanaloglu area. They can shove it..😂 same place was £30 last year.
English breakfast are cheaper and better in the UK. In Turkish style restaurants some weird things are presented as English breakfast..soggy bacon ..chicken hotdog sausages very cheap inedible beans etc..
Fast food we don't eat .
Steaks are from milk cows.
Lamb chop meals hit and miss.
The best cuisine restaurants in the world don't exist in trnc because the Turkish don't eat anything else and are the only ones who think their cuisine is the best in the world. The ones that exist have no competition and are poor representations .

Rant over.

pedmoreapollo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 20 of 80 in Discussion

Post by pedmoreapollo »

We left the TRNC a few years ago when we thought eating out was excellent value. Things seem to have changed. We now go to Tenerife for the winter where a decent coffee is just over £1. You can still get a 3 course meal for less than £10.
This is not in one of the well known brash resorts but in a very pleasant picturesque area.
Sad to say we are giving up our annual visit to N Cyprus due to the cost not only of eating out but travel

Brazen
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 21 of 80 in Discussion

Post by Brazen »

With the dining out prices escalating weekly the government will soon have to realign their customer profile to high quality tourism. To achieve this many of the restaurants will have to provide a vast increase in quality to that currently available and the hotels will have to raise their game. I believe, however, that it cannot garner much success with the current travel arrangements. The thing they won’t be able to achieve is to undo the desecration of a once beautiful part of the Med. To be honest, if I came on holiday once here now it would be enough, whereas many years ago it was very attractive in many ways which was why we decided to retire here.
Last edited by Brazen on Mon 27 May 2024 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maisiemoo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 22 of 80 in Discussion

Post by Maisiemoo »

My local Turkish restaurant here in Sussex does a lunchtime meze £22.50 for two people. You get 5 cold dishes and 3 hot dishes of your choice, the food is always fresh and delicious and more than enough for lunch. Sadly the majority of restaurants in North Cyprus seem to be pricing themselves out of the market, although I can always recommend Silver Rocks for quality, price and service, they do seem to know how to get things right.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 23 of 80 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

Its not just the hike in restaurant prices. I wear hearing aids, every now and then I need to replace a small part, 6 months ago the cost of the part was 600 TL, I have just bought another one 2,200! My jaw dropped. I asked why such a rise, the owner said " well, everything has gone up here" well thats OK then.

By comparison the cost of a pair of new hearing aids on the South are 1500 euros cheaper for the same model here.

waddo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 24 of 80 in Discussion

Post by waddo »

Mollie, is the small part the battery or another bit and would it be cheaper in the UK? Message me if you wish, I am also a hearing aid wearer!
No matter how hard the past, you can always begin again.

frugal90
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 25 of 80 in Discussion

Post by frugal90 »

Is there some just pure profiteering going on?

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 26 of 80 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

waddo wrote:
Mon 27 May 2024 6:44 pm
Mollie, is the small part the battery or another bit and would it be cheaper in the UK? Message me if you wish, I am also a hearing aid wearer!
I need the speaker, I play golf, my head sweats, that affects the speaker it corrodes, I get my batteries from the UK much cheaper.

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 27 of 80 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

frugal90 wrote:
Mon 27 May 2024 6:52 pm
Is there some just pure profiteering going on?
yes, profiteering is rife here unfortunately.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 28 of 80 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Problem out here is we have a 101 restaurants with pretty much 1 menu. They aren’t cooking anything that even I, a very average cook, couldn’t reproduce. In fact I could produce something a bit more interesting.

A big factor is the rents that are being charged to these restaurants. Next time you are in one, figure out roughly how much profit they will make on your meal & then how many meals they need to sell per day just to cover that day’s rent. And that’s before you factor in wages, electricity etc etc. I’m amazed that any are surviving.

forestpixie
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 29 of 80 in Discussion

Post by forestpixie »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Mon 27 May 2024 8:42 pm
Problem out here is we have a 101 restaurants with pretty much 1 menu. They aren’t cooking anything that even I, a very average cook, couldn’t reproduce. In fact I could produce something a bit more interesting.

A big factor is the rents that are being charged to these restaurants. Next time you are in one, figure out roughly how much profit they will make on your meal & then how many meals they need to sell per day just to cover that day’s rent. And that’s before you factor in wages, electricity etc etc. I’m amazed that any are surviving.
Well said, don't forget the extreme Belediye tax for the privilege of being open. I know of one restaurant owner who has recently moved to a larger better venue for the same monthly rent they wanted for their smaller original venue.

My view is if you like a venue and you can afford to eat there even with a price increase then support it before we have nothing left!

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 30 of 80 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

I have just bought pool stuff from a local shop, when I went in the place was half empty, they are closing the shop, the rent has increased from £600 to £1000 overnight, outrageous.

snd1966
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 31 of 80 in Discussion

Post by snd1966 »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Mon 27 May 2024 8:42 pm

I fully understand all what you are stating but the restaurants need to get bums on seats, so they need to come up with ideas. If you are having a meal, drop the price of drink, do smaller portions or go large. Encourage people to come out, there are lots of people on the island , maybe offer have your car washed while you eat.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 32 of 80 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Mollie the cat wrote:
Tue 28 May 2024 10:47 am
I have just bought pool stuff from a local shop, when I went in the place was half empty, they are closing the shop, the rent has increased from £600 to £1000 overnight, outrageous.
I struggle to work out the mentality of these landlords. They must surely realise that the rent has to be a viable amount for the shop or restaurant to remain open. Yes £1000 is a much nicer amount than £600 but £600 is even better than nothing
Last edited by EnjoyingTheSun on Tue 28 May 2024 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 33 of 80 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

snd1966 wrote:
Tue 28 May 2024 11:37 am

I fully understand all what you are stating but the restaurants need to get bums on seats, so they need to come up with ideas. If you are having a meal, drop the price of drink, do smaller portions or go large. Encourage people to come out, there are lots of people on the island , maybe offer have your car washed while you eat.
Yes they are going to have to get a lot more creative with their offer but I have noticed in my time out here that the Turks/Cypriots aren’t the most imaginative bunch. They seem to have more of a herd instinct. Like I have said before on here Lebanese food is something that they could easily go into as it is mainly grill food & ingredients won’t be a problem but they don’t. But if one or 2 do & it becomes a success than probably every restaurant will herd to Lebanese thus removing the USP

Dalartokat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 34 of 80 in Discussion

Post by Dalartokat »

EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Tue 28 May 2024 7:25 pm
Mollie the cat wrote:
I struggle to work out the mentality of these landlords. They must surely realise that the rent has to be a viable amount for the shop or restaurant to remain open. Yes £1000 is a much nicer amount than nothing but £600 is even better than nothing
They don’t care and never have, this mentality was the same 25 years ago. They only see the “there and now and don’t worry if you leave because they know the next person that comes along is willing to pay. They cannot comprehend your example of the £600, say for 2 years and it keeps his restaurant open with something coming in and also for you to make an income to get you over the worst. It’s not there in their mindset, because they don’t even consider it.

Also those people that owned the restaurants way back, that were good and people returned and tourist’s remembered, have passed them on to their sons and daughters who are also just as greedy for the rent and so it goes on.
Choose your spouse, friend, relative, in difficult days. On a good day, no one shows their purity.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 35 of 80 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Dalartokat wrote:
Tue 28 May 2024 8:45 pm
EnjoyingTheSun wrote:
Tue 28 May 2024 7:25 pm
Mollie the cat wrote:
I struggle to work out the mentality of these landlords. They must surely realise that the rent has to be a viable amount for the shop or restaurant to remain open. Yes £1000 is a much nicer amount than nothing but £600 is even better than nothing
They don’t care and never have, this mentality was the same 25 years ago. They only see the “there and now and don’t worry if you leave because they know the next person that comes along is willing to pay.
But will there be a next person to pay it? If the sums don’t stack up then it won’t be viable for anyone & the property will just remain empty & the landlord won’t be getting even his £600.
It’s brainless

Mimi2
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 36 of 80 in Discussion

Post by Mimi2 »

The current trend seems to be Used Car Lots. Some carrying £2, Million Stock!!!!

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 37 of 80 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

This will drive up restaurant prices even more, But why can we not import from Turkey and pay our farmers a subsidy so they do not lose out.
Oh Sorry a common sense solution

"Mustafa Naimoğulları, the President of the Livestock Producers and Breeders Union, has announced a temporary halt on the sale of live animals for a period of one month."

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 38 of 80 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Mollie the Cat, hopefully you don't need contact lens solution. According to local rag, that went up 241% last week.

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 39 of 80 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

Mimi2 wrote:
Wed 29 May 2024 4:03 am
The current trend seems to be Used Car Lots. Some carrying £2, Million Stock!!!!
Yes they seem very fashionable now. That old herd instinct kicking in again!
I guess out here they never have that regret of what a brilliant idea I wish I’d thought of it.

Charlieboy
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 40 of 80 in Discussion

Post by Charlieboy »

We have spent the last three winters in the Canary Islands after 17 years on and of in N C...can't believe how cheap it is to live there and the winter weather is so mild new are definitely now looking to retire there and close the book on N Cyprus..

tutor4u
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 41 of 80 in Discussion

Post by tutor4u »

Canary Isles, can't believe how cheap it is to live there
Really is this CHEAP !!!

€ 295,000
Bungalow for sale in San Bartolomé de Tirajana, Gran Canaria
71 m2 Build
1 Bedroom
1 Bathroom

https://www.thinkspain.com/property-for ... /bungalows

laptawrinkly
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 42 of 80 in Discussion

Post by laptawrinkly »

Agree with all that's been said. AFter 30 years here the changes have not been for the best; you'd have thought they would have learned how not to do it from the south model of tourism, but no, money rules and who cares what the place looks like. What the forget, with the cost of living crisis people make choices where to spend their hard earned cash, what little is left at the end of the month. The old adverts of an unspoilt north, would be just laughable now to those in the know.

The herd mentality: years ago we would laugh when someone opened a 'shoe shop' and how quickly you then had several all within spitting distance of each other! Over the years the herd has become 'more sophisticated' ($$) , now with all the 'universities', we have a huge surplus in TC doctors, dentists and vets. Where do they think all these TC youngsters will get jobs once qualified! They certainly cannot get jobs in the EU or UK with such degrees, as they need to undertake extra training (vets another 2 years supervised trng) to get registered, for example in Switzerland.

Rents: 'the Cypriot' landlord (same in the south) would rather lose all the rent, rather than drop it a bit, making a better return than if it's empty. Nope, they'll hold out forever for the full rent, not realising the loss incurred. This has a lot to do with some of these 'banks' that hand out loans willy-nilly, so why should the lender care ($$)

As soon as the landlord sees a restaurant 'making money', guaranteed they will put the rent up. They simply don't care about the overheads of running the business. That's why you see places changes hands so quickly - the amount of money on refurbishing every time a place changes hands is mind-boggling - cannot do the building any good either.

But yes, the old Cypriot restaurants like 'Yammas' in Kervanseray, with all food hand made by the ladies, have long gone. Now most mezzes are mass made in 2 or 3 places in Ozankoy and Girne; all pretty bland and tasteless. So like many here, we just don't bother eating out - why waste up 1000tl plus for rubbish, especially as we don't eat meat. The final insult is often being charged full price for a mezze when we don't have any of the meat part.

pedmoreapollo
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 43 of 80 in Discussion

Post by pedmoreapollo »

Following on from Charlie boy.We had a villa in North Cyprus but after a few years when things began to change, decided to buy in Tenerife. Yes more expensive to buy, but in most ways more affordable including flights .
We are going out next week and return flights for 2 total cost £250. Weather pleasantly warm
Lots of excellent restaurants and beautiful scenery away from the busy coastal resorts.
We have no regrets but N Cyprus will always, in it's less developed days be remembered fondly

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 44 of 80 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Your last sentence puts into words what many (but not all obviously) feel about living here.

benjaminbutton
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 45 of 80 in Discussion

Post by benjaminbutton »

Laptawringly, its funny you say that. I dug out an English cookbook that I haven't seen for 15 years or more called THE TASTE OF CYPRUS given to us when we moved, by someone who didn't know North from South. However, 99% of the recipes are identical, with some lovely photographs. It's now been dusted off and I'm determined to have a go. The only real drawback being , based on the Greek side cooking the main meat is always Pork. Which is a blessing in a way because it pushes me to move further and further towards vegetables. I need a bit of encouragement though.

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 46 of 80 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

Up to 1000 tl...no joke the meze I saw in a sea front restaurant was 2000 tl...1700 tl without alcohol...

They are aware of this situation. Fresh article today stating restaurant prices here are the same as Italy ..& that they will lose tourists

https://kibrisgazetesi.com/basman-italy ... ata-geldi/

You have to translate ...Italy commonly touted as the best food in the world Vs kebab 😂

"While costs are rising, revenues are not rising that much.”
Stating that there was no increase in turnover in proportion to the increases in the minimum wage, Ali Başman said, “In December, the minimum wage was 16 thousand TL, today it is 29 thousand 500 TL. An 85 percent increase was shown on TL basis, but when we looked at the business, only a 30-40 percent increase could be shown. Therefore, while costs rise, revenues do not rise that much, and then a raise has to be made. “The state needs to understand market conditions well.” said."

EnjoyingTheSun
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 47 of 80 in Discussion

Post by EnjoyingTheSun »

laptawrinkly wrote:
Thu 30 May 2024 4:57 pm

The herd mentality: years ago we would laugh when someone opened a 'shoe shop' and how quickly you then had several all within spitting distance of each other! Over the years the herd has become 'more sophisticated' ($$) , now with all the 'universities', we have a huge surplus in TC doctors, dentists and vets. Where do they think all these TC youngsters will get jobs once qualified! They certainly cannot get jobs in the EU or UK with such degrees, as they need to undertake extra training (vets another 2 years supervised trng) to get registered, for example in Switzerland.
Re the herd mentality, I’ve said a few times on here that I think a Lebanese restaurant would do very well. Do I think a couple of Lebanese restaurants in an area would do well? 100%. Do I think 12 Lebanese restaurants in an area will do well? Well obviously not.

Re the degrees I’m not denigrating the quality of teaching out here but do question how valuable a degree gained in a country that isn’t recognised can be anywhere other than TRNC or possibly Turkey?
If you were in England & had the choice between a Dr trained in say Montenegro or 1 trained in England, America, Germany etc which one would you choose?
laptawrinkly wrote:
Thu 30 May 2024 4:57 pm

As soon as the landlord sees a restaurant 'making money', guaranteed they will put the rent up. They simply don't care about the overheads of running the business.
If a restaurant is doing well I don't think it is unfair for the landlord to share in its good fortune, especially if location is a factor but…..? 🤷‍♂️

Reyntj
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 48 of 80 in Discussion

Post by Reyntj »

At ercan €18..for a happy meal in a burger fast food..
A small salad €10..I suppose it's healthy
8 chicken nugget meal €18 ..

We got my daughter 9 nugget meal for £5.50 on the way

A few punters

I'm not participating by the way

Mollie the cat
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 49 of 80 in Discussion

Post by Mollie the cat »

People need to vote with their feet, I would rather go thirsty than pay 195 TL for a Nescafe in a small paper cup. I was bored so I walked around the duty free, I could get a bottle of wine for less than that, it was on offer.

alphamike
Kibkommer
Kibkommer

•   Message 50 of 80 in Discussion

Post by alphamike »

Am absolutely gobsmacked at the prices at Ercan, that's way more expensive than airside in Edinburgh, so presumably all UK airports. I usually carry a packet or two of soft chewy mints/fruits (Mentos) for a dry mouth, way cheaper by the sounds of things. I stopped buying a bottle of water after being charged I think 3 euros last year. Wonder what it costs now?
Don't fancy slugging back a bottle of duty free wine in departures, not a good look. :lol:

Return to “THE KIBKOM NORTH CYPRUS FORUM”